Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
500 posts on something that will never happen..many in-depth. A mind-boggling waste of time and thought..but hey....Habs' fans.

What part of "he's no fit whatsoever" are people missing?

Do we need another undersized winger? Do we need a petulant head case? Someone who plays individually and is unwilling to work hard? Is no one else noticing that the Habs are staying away from Russian players in recent years? there are good reasons for that. Yet the biggest head case of them all - Let's get him!!! He was a first pick overall so he must be fabulous!!

Unless he changes his game significantly he will never be a 40-goal scorer in the NHL, and certainly never be a 30-assist man. At best - a sometimes 30-goal scorer who is wildly inconsistent and a liability in his own end who teammates dislike.

Where is talented top 6 Russian pick Filatov playing? An undersized head case Russian winger who was unwilling to compete to succeed...sound familiar? Yakupov - with his attitude and performance - is a strong candidate to be playing in the KHL in a couple of years...so let's mortgage the farm (on defence no less) to pick him up.

Silly stuff.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
500 posts on something that will never happen..many in-depth. A mind-boggling waste of time and thought..but hey....Habs' fans.

Do we need another undersized winger? Do we need a petulant head case? Someone who plays individually and is unwilling to work hard? Is no one else noticing that the Habs are staying away from Russian players in recent years? there are good reasons for that. Yet the biggest head case of them all - Let's get him!!! He was a first pick overall so he must be fabulous!!

Unless he changes his game significantly he will never be a 40-goal scorer in the NHL, and certainly never be a 30-assist man. At best - a sometimes 30-goal scorer who is wildly inconsistent and a liability in his own end who teammates dislike.

Where is talented top 6 Russian pick Filatov playing? An undersized head case Russian winger who was unwilling to compete to succeed...sound familiar? Yakupov - with his attitude and performance - is a strong candidate to be playing in the KHL in a couple of years...so let's mortgage the farm (on defence no less) to pick him up.

Silly stuff.

And of course you DO realize if you had posted something similar in page 1 or 2 we possibly wouldnt of gotten THIS far :P?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Silly stuff.

Yakupov was everyone's nominee for first overall pick. There must be something to him that you choose to overlook. To damn him at his young age seems to me to be shortsighted. Let's wait a few years.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Beaulieu, Budaj a first and a second. Budaj deserve a chance to be number one and he won't in Montreal. We grab Bryzgalov for league minimum to backup Price for a year. If Price get another case of crapping the bed Bryzgalov would be a decent update on Budaj.

You think that bryzgalov is a step up on Budaj ? Budaj might not be a great 1A but Bryz is washed up, a head case and will only get back into the nhl if a team loses a goalie to injury.

There are probably dozens of goalies montreal would chose before Bryz.

Cheap but bad is still bad. And if the oil want to get away from Dubynuk, they want some decidely better. As much as I think Budaj is a perfect fit on the habs, I'm not sure the oil sees him as an upgrade at all.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yakupov was everyone's nominee for first overall pick. There must be something to him that you choose to overlook. To damn him at his young age seems to me to be shortsighted. Let's wait a few years.

So what he was first ? I wouldnt trade him for the guy we got who went after him.

You are completely missing the important point, no one is saying that Yakupov is 1) not talented or 2) already a bust. I suspect he will be just fine somewhere other than montreal.

Everyone knows that we have tied the team to price, when lunquist becomes a ufa should we go after him as well ? with the idea that hes good so he must make the team better ?

We are literally lousy with small aphysical one dimensional scorers already and finally ( thank god) have a guy on the back end that brings something that we have been missing for ages and you want to ship him out to get another talented one dimensional scorer ? We did just fine last year in scoring, scoring was not our achiles heel. Getting more productivity up front simply does nothing to address the deficiencies we have at other positions.

I know that talent wise yakupov > simmonds but based on the makeup of our team I would WAY prefer the latter ( but I dont think philly is going to move him).

some teams adopt you position, get the best players available at one or two positions even when they neglect improving things that other teams exploit easily. how's that working out for them ?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Silly stuff.

Was Pacioretty a head case because he didn't want to play on the 3rd line with grinders?

As for him not being a fit because he's undersized, why not make him a fit by doing something about Desharnais/Briere. Passing on a elite talent because Desharnais and Briere are on the team already has to be one of the dumbest things ever.

If you think he's a bad hockey player then fine, that's a legitimate reason for not going after a player. But lumping Yakupov in with Filatov just because they're both Russian and drafted high is pure ignorance and borders on racism. And the comparison is plain bad. In one half season he's already outproduced Filatov's career totals.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Was Pacioretty a head case because he didn't want to play on the 3rd line with grinders?

As for him not being a fit because he's undersized, why not make him a fit by doing something about Desharnais/Briere. Passing on a elite talent because Desharnais and Briere are on the team already has to be one of the dumbest things ever.

If you think he's a bad hockey player then fine, that's a legitimate reason for not going after a player. But lumping Yakupov in with Filatov just because they're both Russian and drafted high is pure ignorance and borders on racism. And the comparison is plain bad. In one half season he's already outproduced Filatov's career totals.

Do what ? DD just signed an extension and has ZERO if not negative value right now. Briere has a NTC/NMC for this year and next. I'd be ecstatic if we could get out from one of both of those contracts, but it aint happening any time soon.

There is a big difference between " not what we need" and "bust", yakupov falls clearly in the former. The question is not " would you want yakupov?", the question is " are you willing to give up X for yakupov?". If X includes tinordi +, the answer should be no.

Saying that a player might go to the KHL ( where he would be a star and well payed) is not racism, its the truth even if its not the primary concern. I dont begrudge players for going, high pay no taxes in a familiar environment is hard to pass up. the devils got hosed on the kovalchuck deal and I have no idea whether yakupov would or would not bolt but to deny that this is a possibility, or worse to claim that all considerations that he could as xenophobic is a little too much playing the victim for my tastes. no matter where he ends up the khl remains a viable option for him, to deny this is idiocy.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

Silly stuff.

Come on, you know better than to compare Yakupov's performance with Filatov's.

Can you please give examples of Yakupov being a "petulant head case" "who teamates dislike"? Strong words...

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Do what ? DD just signed an extension and has ZERO if not negative value right now. Briere has a NTC/NMC for this year and next. I'd be ecstatic if we could get out from one of both of those contracts, but it aint happening any time soon.

There is a big difference between " not what we need" and "bust", yakupov falls clearly in the former. The question is not " would you want yakupov?", the question is " are you willing to give up X for yakupov?". If X includes tinordi +, the answer should be no.

Who cares when he signed his deal, he has 4 years left at 3.5m that's all that matters. If we get Yakupov, we can put him in the minors for all I care, which coincidentally covers pretty much all of Yakupov's base salary.

Fit and Need are about core players. Does Yakupov fit in with the core of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Pacioretty? The answer is yes.

Saying that a player might go to the KHL ( where he would be a star and well payed) is not racism, its the truth even if its not the primary concern. I dont begrudge players for going, high pay no taxes in a familiar environment is hard to pass up. the devils got hosed on the kovalchuck deal and I have no idea whether yakupov would or would not bolt but to deny that this is a possibility, or worse to claim that all considerations that he could as xenophobic is a little too much playing the victim for my tastes. no matter where he ends up the khl remains a viable option for him, to deny this is idiocy.

Yakupov skipped out on the KHL to play in the OHL. He wants to be in the NHL, that much is clear. The racist part is saying we should stay away from Russians.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I am with Grant. Yakupov is one dimension hockey player. He was clueless with/without the puck. For those fans who defended him, please watched him play. He just stand still to wait for the puck to get to him. I don't care if he is picked 1st overall or not. I do not want this kind of player on my team.:shakehead

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Who cares when he signed his deal, he has 4 years left at 3.5m that's all that matters. If we get Yakupov, we can put him in the minors for all I care, which coincidentally covers pretty much all of Yakupov's base salary.

Fit and Need are about core players. Does Yakupov fit in with the core of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Pacioretty? The answer is yes.

Yakupov skipped out on the KHL to play in the OHL. He wants to be in the NHL, that much is clear. The racist part is saying we should stay away from Russians.

You are completely missing the point. I have never opined whether he would or would not go to the khl, I have no idea and neither do you ( did you think that kovalchuck would retire to sign two days later?). The point is, the KHL is a viable OPTION for yakupov. It might not be his first or second choice but it is a choice nonetheless.

To deny that the khl is conceivably where he MIGHT ( not will) end up is to simply deny reality.

And if we get him, I hope you can get used to losing 6-5 on a whole lot of nights. He's not a generational talent yet and he could be another ovechkin or he could be daigle. Risking the defensive corps on a hope is idiocy.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
And if we get him, I hope you can get used to losing 6-5 on a whole lot of nights. He's not a generational talent yet and he could be another ovechkin or he could be daigle. Risking the defensive corps on a hope is idiocy.

I don't know if he is going to be a Daigle or not but he does not have the physical ability to become another Ovechkin.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I refuse to read this thread but could someone give me the rundown of the young assets being proposed to lure this first overall pick . Or has the generic 'if the price is right' arse blanket been used?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You are completely missing the point. I have never opined whether he would or would not go to the khl, I have no idea and neither do you ( did you think that kovalchuck would retire to sign two days later?). The point is, the KHL is a viable OPTION for yakupov. It might not be his first or second choice but it is a choice nonetheless.

To deny that the khl is conceivably where he MIGHT ( not will) end up is to simply deny reality.

The KHL is an option for Galchenyuk as well but it doesn't change anything.

It's much easier to shore up the defence than it is to get a potential Ovechkin. If we lose Tinordi it wouldn't be that hard to replace him. Getting an Ovechkin is almost impossible.

By the way how is it risking it on hope? Aren't we hoping Tinordi works out?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

It's much easier to shore up the defence than it is to get a potential Ovechkin. If we lose Tinordi it wouldn't be that hard to replace him. Getting an Ovechkin is almost impossible.

By the way how is it risking it on hope? Aren't we hoping Tinordi works out?

potential unrealized is no asset. And if there is some magical source for big physical SAH defensemen that you are aware of , I love to know about it because weve been picking in the bargain basement and getting guys like wiskey and murray and cube.

If tinordi does not work out, what has it cost us ? Patience. If we trade assets to get yakupov who also busts, what's the cost now ? if he bolts to the K we are left holding the bag with a depleted cuppord.

And galchenyuk could, presumably, go to the KHL I suppose but his upside there is WAY less than if the prodigal son yakupov went back.

I wouldnt trade galchenyuk straight up for yakupov who still has a long way to go to be considered in ovechkins level.

I kept hearing over and over how talented radulov was, best player in the the KHL, best player not in the NHL, an amazing talent, incredible skills. if you want the habs emulate the preds, god help us all.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

How is the KHL an option for Galchenyuk? He's not even russian. He's from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. Can somebody tell me how Chucky got stuck with the stigma that he's russian?

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
How is the KHL an option for Galchenyuk? He's not even russian. He's from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States. Can somebody tell me how Chucky got stuck with the stigma that he's russian?

His parents are Belarusian, he lived in Russia from 4 to 15 years old, and he speaks Russian.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He doesn't associate with Russia though, he associates with the us and plays for them internationally he is not going to the khl unless he has no other options

because the KHL only takes russians ? My guess is that because he speaks the language and lived there for most of his childhood that if things really went south here he could end up there. but under no circumstances is he getting what yakupov would get if he went back.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I refuse to read this thread but could someone give me the rundown of the young assets being proposed to lure this first overall pick . Or has the generic 'if the price is right' arse blanket been used?

no one knows what the oilers will want but based on what they need now you are looking at something along the lines of Tinordi + and the plus could be turtleneck or (gasp) eller. I dont think they have the patience for more prospects, so beaulieu is likely out as well

Yes the oil are probably shopping for a goalie but fucale is far away and they need help now, so you are looking for a young ( prefereably big or good pmd) defensemen and some veteran scoring up front to help the team starting tomorrow.

Some people think we can make a silk purse out of a sows ear by offering package deals based around DD or georges, but I dont see that happening any time soon.

If they are shopping yakupov ( a big IF it might just be a kick in the pants kind of deal) my guess is we get priced out of the running from the jump. A lot of the " buzz" is centered around miller and vanek ( both impending ufas) or perhaps a package based on anderson from ottawa if lehner is going to take over in net. but who knows how it all shakes out, my guess is that no matter how bad they suck this year that yakupov ends the season as an oiler, and then they can look at the UFA market and then consider moving him for something.

Someone also said that the oil are up on the roster limit so package deals means that someone else has to go.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
potential unrealized is no asset. And if there is some magical source for big physical SAH defensemen that you are aware of , I love to know about it because weve been picking in the bargain basement and getting guys like wiskey and murray and cube.

If tinordi does not work out, what has it cost us ? Patience. If we trade assets to get yakupov who also busts, what's the cost now ? if he bolts to the K we are left holding the bag with a depleted cuppord.

And galchenyuk could, presumably, go to the KHL I suppose but his upside there is WAY less than if the prodigal son yakupov went back.

I wouldnt trade galchenyuk straight up for yakupov who still has a long way to go to be considered in ovechkins level.

I kept hearing over and over how talented radulov was, best player in the the KHL, best player not in the NHL, an amazing talent, incredible skills. if you want the habs emulate the preds, god help us all.

It's easier to acquire a top-4 shutdown defenceman (Which Tinordi isn't even one yet) than it is to acquire a potential 40+ goal scorer. That should be obvious. Top-4 shutdown defenceman are available on the UFA market every year, 40 goals scorers are extremely rare.

I wouldn't trade Chuckie for Yakupov either, but I didn't bring up Ovechkin that was who you compared him to. If Edmonton wants the moon for him then we don't pay it.

Why is Yakupov the KHL's prodigal son? He's played a grand total of 22 games in the KHL thanks to the lockout last season. He decided to play in the OHL instead of the KHL.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
no one knows what the oilers will want but based on what they need now you are looking at something along the lines of Tinordi + and the plus could be turtleneck or (gasp) eller. I dont think they have the patience for more prospects, so beaulieu is likely out as well

Tinordi is as much a prospect as Beaulieu is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad