Could Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I offer : Beaulieu, De La Rose and a 1st.

Edmonton says no. Next.

id want yakupov and all, ..but we'd be a better team with players like beaulieu and de la rose AND whoever we picked in the first round over nail ... and again i LIKE nail...

people are going to love this de la rose kid...

yakupovs a concussion taker
de la rose is a concussion giver

King Niinimaa*

Delivering concussions isn't exactly the way you want to outmatch somebody.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
id want yakupov and all, ..but we'd be a better team with players like beaulieu and de la rose AND whoever we picked in the first round over nail ... and again i LIKE nail...

people are going to love this de la rose kid...

yakupovs a concussion taker
de la rose is a concussion giver

Getting Yakupov would be great, but I can live with not getting him if it means keeping 200 foot players. By all accounts De la Rose has that type of game if it is developed properly.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry, but no one on this thread has offered a compelling reason for not being interested in Yakupov. We've heard bad things about Kessel and thought the Leafs were fools for trading for him. Are people sounding the same sour note now? In the meantime the Bruins have traded the player they "stole" in exchange for him to the Stars for Loui Eriksson, a good player but with no superstar potential. Does anyone think that the Habs wouldn't be better offensively with Yakupov aboard? I'd be at least curious to see a Yakupov-Galchenyuk-McCarron line in 2 or 3 years (or perhaps a different young RW).

What ? If we could get Yakupov for nothing we whould also try to get a unicorn that poops golden eggs as well.

I dont want yakupov for two reasons 1) it WILL be too expensive
2) what he brings WE DONT NEED right now.

We dont need more one dimensional scorers, which is why ( despite the difference in talent) we didnt need guys like briere. We NEED more help on the back end and a guy who can play top 6, mean and open up the ice for our already diminutive forwards. These are things that Yakupov CANT ( or perhaps WONT) do.

We are not the flyers or the oilers stocking up on talent at positions we are already rich in and neglecting improviong the team by addressing clear and persistent deficiencies.

Its nice to imagine all the lovely passes between Gally and yakupov and how many points they would score. You know what nor so nice, have guys like pageau ride the crease with impunity because the one guy that we have been waiting for, forever, to clear the crease is now doing it in edmonton.

he's talented , of that there is no doubt. but what he has is NOT what the habs need, so pass.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know where you're with the Kane comparison, but Patrick Kane delivered it in playoffs (Conny Smythe). Yes Kane's a hot head. The thing I said is that I will not invest interest and giving up an amount of assets to get this guy who still unproven. Why Igor Kravchuk said that he has no concept of a team game?

Yakupov his a good young talent but, if you want toget him, this is gonna cost a lot in terms of assets and money in two years. I compare him more as Alexander Semin type of player than Kane IMO.

Kane has attitude/character issues as well. He doesn't play defence or have a team game either. Yet Chicago can win with him because he produces. It's the same thing with Yakupov, it doesn't matter if he has character issues so long as he produces.

By the way Semin has produced in the playoffs before as well, he's twice been at or above a PPG. He's only had one bad playoffs.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What ? If we could get Yakupov for nothing we whould also try to get a unicorn that poops golden eggs as well.

I dont want yakupov for two reasons 1) it WILL be too expensive
2) what he brings WE DONT NEED right now.

We dont need more one dimensional scorers, which is why ( despite the difference in talent) we didnt need guys like briere. We NEED more help on the back end and a guy who can play top 6, mean and open up the ice for our already diminutive forwards. These are things that Yakupov CANT ( or perhaps WONT) do.

We are not the flyers or the oilers stocking up on talent at positions we are already rich in and neglecting improviong the team by addressing clear and persistent deficiencies.

Its nice to imagine all the lovely passes between Gally and yakupov and how many points they would score. You know what nor so nice, have guys like pageau ride the crease with impunity because the one guy that we have been waiting for, forever, to clear the crease is now doing it in edmonton.

he's talented , of that there is no doubt. but what he has is NOT what the habs need, so pass.

First off it's Edmonton so who knows what it would cost. No one is saying we should acquire him at all costs but if we can quantity to get quality we should do it. It's very hard to get players with Yakupov's talent so when you have the chance to acquire one without also giving up elite talent you have to do it.

You're right that Yakupov doesn't address any of our needs, but it doesn't matter because he opens up way more options. If you have Yakupov you can consider trading a guy like Pacioretty for that top pairing shutdown D that we do need.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Delivering concussions isn't exactly the way you want to outmatch somebody.

Well i know that, was just trying to be funny :P , i dont WANT him delivering concussions, but man, the kid CAN hit is what im trying to say,

yakupov simply just isnt being given enough of a chance in edmonton at the moment but its not like it would be any different in montreal either

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
First off it's Edmonton so who knows what it would cost. No one is saying we should acquire him at all costs but if we can quantity to get quality we should do it. It's very hard to get players with Yakupov's talent so when you have the chance to acquire one without also giving up elite talent you have to do it.

You're right that Yakupov doesn't address any of our needs, but it doesn't matter because he opens up way more options. If you have Yakupov you can consider trading a guy like Pacioretty for that top pairing shutdown D that we do need.

You are right we dont know what it will cost precisely, but that doesnt change the fact that it WILL be expensive. The oilers might not have a great front office but you dont let a number one overall pick walk for cheap.

And if Yakupov gets shipped, the oilers NEED several things, and none of them are more prospects. They want roster players, now and specifically on the back end and in net.

Price for Yakupov = idiotic. I like budaj but hes a career backup and
none of the guys in the pipeline are close to
being ready. we would be screwed.

Subban for yakupov = doubly idiotic for reasons no one should be
forced to explain

Markov for yakupov = A old guy at the end of his contract with wonky
knees, pass

The rest of our defense ( excluding Tinordi) = chaff

That leaves who ? Tinordi, the one guy we have longed for for so long who is big, could turn mean and will hopefully play big minutes making life in front of our crease miserable for opposing forwards.

The best we could offer would be pleks and bealieu and a 2/3 pick and THERE IS NO WAY the oilers bite on that deal. They are looking at something like tinordi and eller for yakupov which the habs ( god help us if I am wrong) say thanks but no thanks but I hope you find some other sucker to make a deal like that.

You dont build a team by acquiring the BPA you build successful teams by playing to your strengths and limiting the liabilities. Yakupov would definately play to our strengths but would WOEFULLY exacerbate our deficiencies. it ends up, at best, being a wash.

Its nice to think we could get yakupov on some type of package deal around deharnais, but that's not going to happen. EVER.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Could the Habs be interested in Yakupov?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, Yakupov on the Habs wouldn't make sense unless we get rid of one of: Brière, Gionta, DD or Gallagher. But hey:

-Gionta: you don't trade you captain
-DD: just signed to an extension, management will be patient with him
-Brière: might go, but then again, they gave him the torch first at the opening ceremony
-Gallagher: not going anywhere

And again, not to rub it in, but the Briere signing was completely Pejorative Slured. Let's say Yakupov is available for cheap. Could be a good move. Getting him back with Chucky, in a better context, better management etc. He could blossom here, for all we know.

The thing is: we can't possibly be making a move for another small but skilled forward. We already have too much of them. And EDM is certainly not looking for a small skill player either.

We can only trade with teams that have big players, good D and are looking for complementary small forwards for some marginal scoring depth. So yeah, go figure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You are right we dont know what it will cost precisely, but that doesnt change the fact that it WILL be expensive. The oilers might not have a great front office but you dont let a number one overall pick walk for cheap.

And if Yakupov gets shipped, the oilers NEED several things, and none of them are more prospects. They want roster players, now and specifically on the back end and in net.

Price for Yakupov = idiotic. I like budaj but hes a career backup and
none of the guys in the pipeline are close to
being ready. we would be screwed.

Subban for yakupov = doubly idiotic for reasons no one should be
forced to explain

Markov for yakupov = A old guy at the end of his contract with wonky
knees, pass

The rest of our defense ( excluding Tinordi) = chaff

That leaves who ? Tinordi, the one guy we have longed for for so long who is big, could turn mean and will hopefully play big minutes making life in front of our crease miserable for opposing forwards.

The best we could offer would be pleks and bealieu and a 2/3 pick and THERE IS NO WAY the oilers bite on that deal. They are looking at something like tinordi and eller for yakupov which the habs ( god help us if I am wrong) say thanks but no thanks but I hope you find some other sucker to make a deal like that.

You dont build a team by acquiring the BPA you build successful teams by playing to your strengths and limiting the liabilities. Yakupov would definately play to our strengths but would WOEFULLY exacerbate our deficiencies. it ends up, at best, being a wash.

Its nice to think we could get yakupov on some type of package deal around deharnais, but that's not going to happen. EVER.

The Oilers would no doubt want a quality veteran shutdown D. I could easily them being very interested in Gorges. He brings exactly what they want need. If you can build a deal centered around a guy like Gorges or Plekanec then you do it. If they want a young stud like Eller or Subban then it's thanks but no thanks.

But lopsided deals do happen, the Islanders gave up Spezza to get Yashin, SJ gave up spare parts for former 1st overall Thornton. Even the Seguin trade Dallas didn't give up anything that special to acquire a former #2 overall. If Edmonton overvalues one of our players and undervalues Yakupov a deal can be made.

It's very hard to acquire elite talent, so if you have an opportunity to do so without giving up elite/potentially elite talent in return you have to do it. If we followed your team building philosophy we turn down Gorges for Yakupov because we would be a worse team. But it doesn't matter that our defence would be horrible and we would probably be where Edmonton is now (All offence no defence). We would've taken one step back so that we can take 2 steps forward.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
Oilers could realistically ask for something like Max Pac, Tinordi, Gorges and a 2nd/3rd draft picks. Would you do it? I wouldnt.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The Oilers would no doubt want a quality veteran shutdown D. I could easily them being very interested in Gorges. He brings exactly what they want need. If you can build a deal centered around a guy like Gorges or Plekanec then you do it. If they want a young stud like Eller or Subban then it's thanks but no thanks.

But lopsided deals do happen, the Islanders gave up Spezza to get Yashin, SJ gave up spare parts for former 1st overall Thornton. Even the Seguin trade Dallas didn't give up anything that special to acquire a former #2 overall. If Edmonton overvalues one of our players and undervalues Yakupov a deal can be made.

It's very hard to acquire elite talent, so if you have an opportunity to do so without giving up elite/potentially elite talent in return you have to do it. If we followed your team building philosophy we turn down Gorges for Yakupov because we would be a worse team. But it doesn't matter that our defence would be horrible and we would probably be where Edmonton is now (All offence no defence). We would've taken one step back so that we can take 2 steps forward.

I like gorgeous josh georges more than many and somewhat regret lumping him in the chaff bin with diaz/bouillion/wishey/murray??? but he is, at best, a 4th D and as much as I like him the league is literally swimming with guys who have similar talents. Supply and demand means that when the supply is high, the demand is low.

A deal for yakupov centered around georges and parts ( although its nice to dream) is just not realistic. Again the starting point is gonna be Tinordi + and the plus aint going to be one of our midgets or chaff laden defensemen.

If you want to tank, you are in the minority. Add to the fact that Yakupov is still green ( then again so it tinordi) and could bust in the nhl and jump to the K. Then what are we left with ? I wouldnt trade galchenyuk for yakupov straight up ( I suspect some would) so the notion of tinordi and pleks or (gasp!) tinordi and eller just prices us out of the running.

Yakupov might be very good, but hes not good enough to suck for a couple of years in hopes that we somehow get aropund to addressing the current deficiencies on the team. We dont need him or his one dimensional points, but I am sure there are teams that do.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I think that in any other organization but the Oilers, Yakupov can be a 30/40 goal scorer. Right now he's facing other 1s overall picks who are slightly older than him. If by any chance we could get our hands on him we would ensure the future of our franchise. Sure we can't part from Subban, Galchenyuk, Price, (Gallagher). But Plekanec, Budaj, Beaulieu, Markov, Emelin, Diaz, Gionta, Bourque... are all assets that we could use for a deal.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Get this guy :D. I know it would cost a lot but I think it`s the kind of ballsy moves that can make you a cup winner in the long run.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I like gorgeous josh georges more than many and somewhat regret lumping him in the chaff bin with diaz/bouillion/wishey/murray??? but he is, at best, a 4th D and as much as I like him the league is literally swimming with guys who have similar talents. Supply and demand means that when the supply is high, the demand is low.

A deal for yakupov centered around georges and parts ( although its nice to dream) is just not realistic. Again the starting point is gonna be Tinordi + and the plus aint going to be one of our midgets or chaff laden defensemen.

If you want to tank, you are in the minority. Add to the fact that Yakupov is still green ( then again so it tinordi) and could bust in the nhl and jump to the K. Then what are we left with ? I wouldnt trade galchenyuk for yakupov straight up ( I suspect some would) so the notion of tinordi and pleks or (gasp!) tinordi and eller just prices us out of the running.

Yakupov might be very good, but hes not good enough to suck for a couple of years in hopes that we somehow get aropund to addressing the current deficiencies on the team. We dont need him or his one dimensional points, but I am sure there are teams that do.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and it works both ways. Whether you think Gorges is a dime a dozen player or not he has a reputation for being a great leader, a good shutdown D, a playoff warrior. These are all qualities that Edmonton is probably overvaluing right now.

If we are only going to discuss the likely/realistic scenarios then why even have a thread. There's probably less than a 1% chance that he is traded anytime soon.

I'm very much against tanking, and if we were to acquire Yakupov then it would hopefully be just the 1st move. The point I'm making is that you don't turn down a deal to acquire an elite player for some combination of good/average players just because he isn't the greatest fit. You do something about the lesser players that so that he does become a fit.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
-Gionta: you don't trade you captain
-DD: just signed to an extension, management will be patient with him
-Brière: might go, but then again, they gave him the torch first at the opening ceremony

Yuck Yakupov is better than any of those guys by a country mile!

It's very hard to acquire elite talent, so if you have an opportunity to do so without giving up elite/potentially elite talent in return you have to do it.

This.

I would trade any of our vets for Yaks and they are in desperate need of veteran leadership. Gorges would be a great locker room guy for them. Apparently Edmonton is in talks with Buffalo for Miller and Vanek? Both are UFAs at the end of the season. Perhaps they'd be interested in Budaj, Gorges, one of our prospects and a pick?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Add to the fact that Yakupov is still green ( then again so it tinordi) and could bust in the nhl and jump to the K.

This is exactly why Yakupovs value might not be as high as you might think. There is risk and he is not a proven player. As someone pointed out a lot of times these players don't fetch as much as you might think for various reasons such as baggage etc.. but the potential is just too great not to take a stab at it. I think that Yaks would thrive in Montreal alongside Chukie and other russians such as Markov and Emelin not to mention that he would be treated like a God!

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It will be miller/vanek oilers desperate for a goalie

Miller is UFA at end of season. Would Edmonton be interested in Budaj +? I'm sure that he would be very happy to finally be a starter somewhere plus he has been very good for us. Hate to point out the obvious but with Pacioretty out now would be the perfect time to acquire a much needed goal scorer!

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
We need to face it, we are in no way able to lose any of Gally, chucky, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Eller in a trade for Yakupov.

We need to wait come deadline and see the value of our first and that might be the only valuable asset MB should be looking to move.

For the fun of it, here's a proposal Id like to make

To EDM

Beaulieu or Tinordi
NYR 1st
MTL 1st

To NYR
Yakupov
Mtl 2nd

To MTL
McDonagh
Edm 3rd

Got your back Gauthier:sarcasm: