Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
There's a rumor that armadillos and bats might be the cause of Wuhan pneumonia. China really needs to ban those abysmal exotic animal-eating laws.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I am far more worried about how they are treating people with shutting down a nation than I am of a virus.
I had rheumatic fever when I was little and have damaged heart valves, something like this virus is far more of a threat to me than it is to most people. But trying to get people so scared that their basic human rights and freedoms are removed is ignorant.
Most people that get this virus get kind of sick, they don’t get the runs they don’t get a cough or cold it seams mild, the number of cases is also massively understated because a lot of people do not get sick enough to care. It seems like children are not getting it and old people with diabetes and other health problems are the ones at risk.
They keep reporting one thirty nine year old died...one, I have no idea what the end game is here but the slanted reporting trying to cause fear is suspect to say the least
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You think that they're locking down major centers to promote fear? Have you actually seen what's happening in China? They don't have the resources to properly to tend to the sick AS IS.

How should China be handling this?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. You think that they're locking down major centers to promote fear? Have you actually seen what's happening in China? They don't have the resources to properly to tend to the sick AS IS.

How should China be handling this?

Sanitary actions, quarantine, wait for new vaccine, and abolish laws of eating exotic animals, such as bats and armadillos.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I've honestly openly wondered about this. Don't more people die from the flu every year?

I don't want to downplay it, I'll keep an open mind about what anyone has to say, or concerns they may have. But at the same time I sort of feel like the media is driving a lot of panic and fear in exchange for clickbait and viewership.

The flu's fatality rate isn't anywhere near the 2% (low estimate) of this, and it doesn't put 17% (WHO estimate) of the people it infects in serious or critical condition in the hospital.

I hope the people saying it's no big deal don't mind 1/6th of their friends and loved ones (and possibly themselves) being in the hospital for a month, possibly hooked up to breathing apparatus. Oh, and once it's widespread, well, good luck with tens of millions of people all needing hospital treatment simultaneously.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sanitary actions, quarantine, wait for new vaccine, and abolish laws of eating exotic animals, such as bats and armadillos.
So essentially what they're doing?

In regards to bushmeat, there's always going to be a black market. Let's not kid ourselves. And even then, these are naturally occurring viruses. As long as we're anywhere near animals, these viruses can be passed onto us through intermediate hosts. MERS was transmitted via camels. SARS via civet cats. Even this strain is thought to be passed via pangolins.

The best we can do is be prepared to respond swiftly in the instances where these new pathogens present themselves.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
So essentially what they're doing?

In regards to bushmeat, there's always going to be a black market. Let's not kid ourselves. And even then, these are naturally occurring viruses. As long as we're anywhere near animals, these viruses can be passed onto us through intermediate hosts. MERS was transmitted via camels. SARS via civet cats. Even this strain is thought to be passed via pangolins.

The best we can do is be prepared to respond swiftly in the instances where these new pathogens present themselves.

Yes, but non-exotic animals, which can be domesticated, can be regulated under sanitation. However, you're right; the best way to tackle this issue is through a vaccine, clinical trials of which aren't set to begin until next year.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

you do realize abolishing a law removes it, right? Regardless, those rules exist, but enforcing them isn’t #1 on the priority list. And it’s easy in hindsight to say, ya, they should care about it more, but China has grown so much in 30 years that not all of it has kept up- I’d say police have, like, a shit ton they should prioritize improving, tough to say what’s most important.

I’d agree on hand washing, though- like there aren’t PSAs on it as far I saw when I was there, and people generally don’t use soap. Lotta places don’t have soap. Spread the soap.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The flu's fatality rate isn't anywhere near the 2% (low estimate) of this, and it doesn't put 17% (WHO estimate) of the people it infects in serious or critical condition in the hospital.

I hope the people saying it's no big deal don't mind 1/6th of their friends and loved ones (and possibly themselves) being in the hospital for a month, possibly hooked up to breathing apparatus. Oh, and once it's widespread, well, good luck with tens of millions of people all needing hospital treatment simultaneously.

One death outside of China, one
1/6 of people in the hospital for months? Man old people are having problems, old people that already have health issues, relax most people get kind of sick some people hardly at all.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
As someone with numerous family members and friends in China, literally nobody is complaining about what the government is doing as a human rights violation. On the contrary, they are agreeing and applauding them. Nobody cares about staying inside for a few weeks to a few months if it means minimizing the risk of contracting this virus. Even if the government did not force these regulations, the majority of people would probably be staying inside. Especially those with young children and the elderly (which is most of my family). It's not a huge deal outside China yet, but that's because many countries have taken strict precautions, and we should continue to do so. This virus has the potential to spread like wildfire.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One death outside of China, one
1/6 of people in the hospital for months? Man old people are having problems, old people that already have health issues, relax most people get kind of sick some people hardly at all.
Honestly, I'm not even sure what you're going on about. You're not worried for yourself because it only seems to be life-threatening to the weak and elderly?

Fatalities have been limited outside of China due to the prevention of widespread transmission. When people have healthcare available to them, they can be monitored by professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonic Disturbance

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Honestly, I'm not even sure what you're going on about. You're not worried for yourself because it only seems to be life-threatening to the week and elderly?

Fatalities have been limited outside of China due to the prevention of widespread transmission. When people have healthcare available to them, they can be monitored by professionals.

No I’m saying stop trying to scare people and act like 1 in 6 of us are going to be in the hospital for months hooked up to machines dying, its bullshit

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
As someone with numerous family members and friends in China, literally nobody is complaining about what the government is doing as a human rights violation. On the contrary, they are agreeing and applauding them. Nobody cares about staying inside for a few weeks to a few months if it means minimizing the risk of contracting this virus. Even if the government did not force these regulations, the majority of people would probably be staying inside. Especially those with young children and the elderly (which is most of my family). It's not a huge deal outside China yet, but that's because many countries have taken strict precautions, and we should continue to do so. This virus has the potential to spread like wildfire.
Do you think the Chinese gvm't should allow international help to deal with this crisis?

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Do you think the Chinese gvm't should allow international help to deal with this crisis?

I think the Chinese government should accept help from anyone in order to contain this crisis. One of the biggest problems right now is lack of testing kits, so the actual number of infected patients is probably substantially higher than reported.

Reactions: KingsofLA

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
0 deaths in any 1st world hospitals. Interesting.

I wonder if this could also be a case where the virus causes weakness but something else is accredited for the death? I know when I spent time in Ghana, almost no one died of AIDS, but thousands were dying of TB/pneumonia/etc.
I think they've said (whether it is to be believed or not) that the majority of deaths in China have been people with underlying health problems. Also noteworthy that the deaths skew male, and there is a huge difference in smoking rates between males and females in China. Something like 50% of males are smokers (and the older demographics even higher) and females it's less than 5%. Since this is a lower respiratory illness if you've got already weak lungs you're going to be in increased danger.

What's curious is the doctor that whistle-blew on the virus and later died from it because he seemed both young and healthy. Makes me think something fishy happened there, like either he was denied treatment as punishment or that the risk to healthy people is higher than is being let on. Or just bad luck I guess.

[edit]
So Wikipedia says the doctor may have gotten infected from someone who worked at the seafood market that the virus originated in which gave him an "increased viral load" which is apparently bad. Not educated enough to know if that's a thing that can happen or not. Also says he received the best possible treatment.

Last edited:

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
I think the Chinese government should accept help from anyone in order to contain this crisis. One of the biggest problems right now is lack of testing kits, so the actual number of infected patients is probably substantially higher than reported.
Its been reported that China has refused US aid with CDC members to help out & hour after the US had a press conference about the Virus they were going to allow the WHO to study the virus. At some point China needs to allow aid to come in, since cases continue rise by the thousands everyday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-offer-send-scientists-fight-coronavirus.html

I

Reactions: Sonic Disturbance

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well you asked what I was going on about how about you read the post I was responding to
You're going to need to elaborate here. I'm not going through hoops to cater to your argument.

You mentioned that the flu is of greater concern and I elaborated on this point because it's not accurate in the instance these viruses spread drastically. People said the same thing when Ebola was in the news. Is the flu deadlier than Ebola?

The way you're acting, literally any disagreement with your opinion would be interpreted as fear-mongering.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Its been reported that China has refused US aid with CDC members to help out & hour after the US had a press conference about the Virus they were going to allow the WHO to study the virus. At some point China needs to allow aid to come in, since cases continue rise by the thousands everyday.

China turned down US offer to send scientists to fight coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

I

As a Chinese person, I suspect the reason for this is two-fold. One, the government has tried to downplay the severity of the situation and initially tried to deny the existence of the virus altogether in December/early January, when reports of a SARS-like virus began to appear. If they allow foreign aid, they'll have to give a bunch of information to foreign nations and let them get a gauge of how everything was/is handled, which will make them lose face. Secondly, Chinese people are extraordinarily nationalistic and I think the CCP want to fix this problem by themselves out of sheer pride. They don't want the narrative that the Americans saved China. If you read the history textbooks in Chinese classrooms, you would think that the Japanese invasion during WWII was pretty much entirely repelled by China alone. No mention of US aid in supplies, weapons or troops like the Flying Tigers.

Last edited:

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
As a Chinese person, I suspect the reason for this is two-fold. One, the government has tried to downplay the severity of the situation and initially tried to deny the existence of the virus altogether in December/early January, when reports of a SARS-like virus began to appear. If they allow foreign aid, they'll have to give a bunch of information to foreign nations and let them get a gauge of how everything was/is handled, which will make them lose face. Secondly, Chinese people are extraordinarily nationalistic and I think the CCP want to fix this problem by themselves out of sheer pride. They don't want the narrative that the Americans saved China. If you read the history textbooks in Chinese classrooms, you would think that the Japanese invasion during WWII was pretty much entirely repelled by China alone. No mention of US aid in supplies, weapons or troops like the Flying Tigers.
Sometimes you have to do what is best for the many. Hope a solution and/or aid gets to those that needs it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad