Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
what annoys me is that I am trying to get a refund on my tickets but because my flight as not been cancelled I am SOL from all parties I am dealing with to try and get a credit and just to change the dates

Mar 12, 2009
I encourage people to try and research the history of pandemics/epidemic's and mass panics. I don't think this is to be taken lightly, but there is a distinct pattern of alarmist and exaggeration in the media from "expert" pundits on behalf of companies selling vaccines. Major institutions set off alarm bells internally and sometimes externally to engage in prevention, lobbyist on behalf of pharmaceutical companies go straight to the media with the most alarmist spread and mortality projections possible, hoping a public panic will cause pressure on governments to purchase high quantities of vaccines.

All that said, I'm not downplaying the severity of this outbreak and people should monitor the news just in case. It just seems some (not necessarily in this thread, but in general) are getting close to those "panic" levels, and that really never ends up helping matters.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Add a case found in Clark County, NV (aka Las Vegas), from traveler who had been in Wuhan.

Turned out to be a false alarm, but their are reasons for concern considering how many people come through.

Clark County resident tested for coronavirus now quarantined at home

Symptoms down and patient is now quarantined at home. Waiting on CDC lab to confirm coronavirus.

So, we don't know if it was the coronavirus or not. (Yet)

Coronavirus outbreak: Cases pass 11,000, US declares a public health emergency

Article from an hour ago. 11k+ diagnosed. Death toll 259.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I encourage people to try and research the history of pandemics/epidemic's and mass panics. I don't think this is to be taken lightly, but there is a distinct pattern of alarmist and exaggeration in the media from "expert" pundits on behalf of companies selling vaccines. Major institutions set off alarm bells internally and sometimes externally to engage in prevention, lobbyist on behalf of pharmaceutical companies go straight to the media with the most alarmist spread and mortality projections possible, hoping a public panic will cause pressure on governments to purchase high quantities of vaccines.

All that said, I'm not downplaying the severity of this outbreak and people should monitor the news just in case. It just seems some (not necessarily in this thread, but in general) are getting close to those "panic" levels, and that really never ends up helping matters.

It's not every outbreak you see a 60,000,000+ person quarantine and a country of over 1 billion near totally shut off it's transportation system.

If this was just normal for a new virus my analogy would be using the jaws of life to remove a splinter.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland

Yeah, gotta get those vaccines against Corona with no direct cure or vaccine for it.
This doesn't really make any sense, and it's not like it's a negative thing that people are scared for their life.
Nobody should trust the official numbers out of China of all places, the place is literally coverup after coverup.

Recently they bragged about one of their hospital wings being done after 16 hours but used a Chinese construction firms stock photo to prove it, got called out internationally, and erased the news article.
It's wrong to commend China after they let this outbreak loose in the 1st place as it seems like it was kept under wraps by the government since December.

And comparing it to the common flu is ignorant as well because we don't know enough about corona.
It's a new virus, not something we have statistics already for.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOLAPensFan
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, gotta get those vaccines against Corona with no direct cure or vaccine for it.
This doesn't really make any sense, and it's not like it's a negative thing that people are scared for their life.
Nobody should trust the official numbers out of China of all places, the place is literally coverup after coverup.

Recently they bragged about one of their hospital wings being done after 16 hours but used a Chinese construction firms stock photo to prove it, got called out internationally, and erased the news article.
It's wrong to commend China after they let this outbreak loose in the 1st place as it seems like it was kept under wraps by the government since December.

And comparing it to the common flu is ignorant as well because we don't know enough about corona.
It's a new virus, not something we have statistics already for.
I'm not comparing it to the common flu or commending China, might want to give it a re read lol.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
A model from a well known medical journal had the actual # of cases at 75,000 rather than the reported 12,000.

The model basically reverse-calculated the cases based on the # of people leaving Wuhan who have been found to be infected (it's pretty disproportionate to the reported # of cases).

Somehow I believe the model more...

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
When 4,500 becomes 45,000 becomes 450,000 becomes 4,500,000...

The numbers of those previous outbreaks remained low because preventative measures were taken.

Panic isn't what anyone should do. But educating yourself on the topic can only help in the instances where these odd threats pop up.

Exactly this. The "not as bad as the flu" is just something they say to stop people from panicking and maybe rightly so. According to their estimates the Coronavirus has the same reproductive value as the flu, meaning for every 1 person that gets sick they will pass it onto 2 others. The Coronavirus however is killing about 1 in every 43-45 people who get it though. If we assume their calculation is correct about how contagious it is that would mean if 15 million got sick with this instead of the flu then we're looking at 333,000+ deaths instead of 8,000...and that's probably why an entire city is on lockdown.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Let's try to keep the links to mainstream media

In Boston, a returning Chinese student has tested positive

In this area, there are roughly 18,000 Chinese students enrolled in the numerous colleges around Boston and that alone can justify about 40 nonstop flights a week between China and Logan.

Chinese students make up the largest group of the 55,447 foreign international students in Massachusetts and in metropolitan Boston.

color.png

North Americans and Europeans can not fathom how large cities in Asia have become - New York City is now listed as 28th in the world in population.

List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia

All we can do right now is monitor the situation

greatwhitenorth

Dec 25, 2019
Mainstream media is only linking stats China's government is sending out...
You're doing a great disservice to everyone by only thinking our western media who literally gets their info from China is going to be right on this particular case.

I'm glad this site doesn't reach all that many people because you don't know what you're moderating against here.

Exactly, corporate media whores are not going to reveal the facts, that's not what they're paid to do.

Dec 15, 2002

Potential slowdown in the worlds second biggest economy is good for no one.

It will be fully priced into the market by Monday afternoon.

A model from a well known medical journal had the actual # of cases at 75,000 rather than the reported 12,000.

The model basically reverse-calculated the cases based on the # of people leaving Wuhan who have been found to be infected (it's pretty disproportionate to the reported # of cases).

Somehow I believe the model more...

Depends on the accuracy of the inputs to the model and the assumptions underlying it. I would guess that there are more than 12,000 cases but to be 6x off seems to be a reach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is China even testing everyone with symptoms? I assume they don't have the capacity to test everyone and the confirmed cases are only those presenting at hospitals.

What are they telling people with mild/manageable symptoms to do?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nobody is going to have the real numbers from China

That said HF is still going to trust info from respected news organizations such as the BBC, CBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, NY Times and others over random You Tube posters.

This is the same policy we use with hockey - Nobody considers Eklund a credible source

Right now we are more concerned by confirmed cases in North America

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Nobody is going to have the real numbers from China

That said HF is still going to trust info from respected news organizations such as the BBC, CBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, NY Times and others over random You Tube posters.

This is the same policy we use with hockey - Nobody considers Eklund a credible source

Right now we are more concerned by confirmed cases in North America
No source is a credible source on this particular case, and sure, you can focus on NA, but this is a global issue.
Along with the fact that I trust those leaks more than the actual numbers out of that government just because it's way healthier to assume that there are more cases, as Finnish news has also reported that there has been clear doubt on China's numbers already.
Järjestö ja media: Kiina pimittänyt tietoja koronaviruksen etenemisestä ja pidättänyt kymmeniä virustaudista verkossa kertoneita

Many of these ''unverified'' sources already mention stuff that is literally proven by people on the internet, by China, or by their own experiences and other peoples' experiences in their lives, and it really doesn't serve their best interest to lie about such an important matter.

Eg. serpentza has lived in China for a huge part of his life and he has picked up on the culture of using your hands to eat, spitting everywhere, not having regulated food sources, pollution etc etc..
What I'm getting at is we get a scope of information larger than what's fed to us by a government that literally silences people for not conforming to their version of the truth.
Sure, there will be misinformation along with the unverified sources, but they're very likely to be more accurate than the current string of information we're given.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Is China even testing everyone with symptoms? I assume they don't have the capacity to test everyone and the confirmed cases are only those presenting at hospitals.

What are they telling people with mild/manageable symptoms to do?
To self-quarantine. Also, people have been literally boarded up by the government INSIDE their apartment buildings to stop spread in suspected high infection rate neighborhoods.
Some high traffic roads have also been completely blocked off with dirt on the roads that restrict access outside of some provinces and cities.

They have done the right thing with the general information of the virus by now, but it's pretty apparent that they could have ended the virus in its tracks if they would have let hospitals and people know that such a virus exists.
They're doing the best they can and the worst they can at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad