Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
No source is a credible source on this particular case, and sure, you can focus on NA, but this is a global issue.
Along with the fact that I trust those leaks more than the actual numbers out of that government just because it's way healthier to assume that there are more cases, as Finnish news has also reported that there has been clear doubt on China's numbers already.
Järjestö ja media: Kiina pimittänyt tietoja koronaviruksen etenemisestä ja pidättänyt kymmeniä virustaudista verkossa kertoneita

Many of these ''unverified'' sources already mention stuff that is literally proven by people on the internet, by China, or by their own experiences and other peoples' experiences in their lives, and it really doesn't serve their best interest to lie about such an important matter.

Eg. serpentza has lived in China for a huge part of his life and he has picked up on the culture of using your hands to eat, spitting everywhere, not having regulated food sources, pollution etc etc..
What I'm getting at is we get a scope of information larger than what's fed to us by a government that literally silences people for not conforming to their version of the truth.
Sure, there will be misinformation along with the unverified sources, but they're very likely to be more accurate than the current string of information we're given.

I've never seen anyone in China use their hands to eat. That is India, not China. Also, Serpentza isn't exactly the best source of info (not saying he's wrong on a lot of matters regarding China, but he definitely has an agenda). Having said that, yes, it is unregulated when it comes to food, which has a lot more to do with the CCP. There's a farce of health and safety when it comes to restaurants/food safety in China...that is true. Spitting everywhere is only done by the older generation not the younger ones. Also, it's more frequent in rural areas and not in big cities. So, instead of getting your info (and adding info cause you got confused) from sources like Serpentza (he never said anything about people in China using their hands to eat), please go to that country (well, not now for China) and see it for yourself before you post misinformation on the internet. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet you know.

Having said the above, I agree with you that the numbers reported, in terms of cases and deaths, are a lot lower and even the CCP has admitted this. One reason is, they do not have enough test kits. A lot of cases weren't ever verified as well. Don't know what the real numbers are, but it should be a lot lot higher than what is being reported.

edit - Btw, I think China Uncensored is a much more reliable source of information than Serpentza when it comes to China.

Reactions: HSF

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I've never seen anyone in China use their hands to eat. That is India, not China. Also, Serpentza isn't exactly the best source of info (not saying he's wrong on a lot of matters regarding China, but he definitely has an agenda). Having said that, yes, it is unregulated when it comes to food, which has a lot more to do with the CCP. There's a farce of health and safety when it comes to restaurants/food safety in China...that is true. Spitting everywhere is only done by the older generation not the younger ones. Also, it's more frequent in rural areas and not in big cities. So, instead of getting your info (and adding info cause you got confused) from sources like Serpentza (he never said anything about people in China using their hands to eat), please go to that country (well, not now for China) and see it for yourself before you post misinformation on the internet. There's a lot of misinformation on the internet you know.

Having said the above, I agree with you that the numbers reported, in terms of cases and deaths, are a lot lower and even the CCP has admitted this. One reason is, they do not have enough test kits. A lot of cases weren't ever verified as well. Don't know what the real numbers are, but it should be a lot lot higher than what is being reported.

edit - Btw, I think China Uncensored is a much more reliable source of information than Serpentza when it comes to China.
Just like my point, misinformation is clearly present but it's not the basis of the conversation like it would be if we would only be allowed to talk about mainstream medias stats. Of course the infections outside China are lower, the medical professionals are educated and general knowledge of germs and people bracing whenever they're coughing. It would also help if the virus doesn't get to big cities unnoticed, generally in Europe people live pretty sparsely, but especially here in Finland.

I notice it a lot whenever serpentza goes on in a rant and hammering one point out, but it's apparent he liked to live in China, but seemingly got fed up and concentrates nowadays more on the negatives, although he has produced a lot of positive videos as well. His main attracted bites are a good, articulate way of speaking along with his voice

I added the eating with hands part myself, and it's my fault. Don't remember serpentza talking about it.
For the most part the countries not named China are handling the situation well.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
To self-quarantine. Also, people have been literally boarded up by the government INSIDE their apartment buildings to stop spread in suspected high infection rate neighborhoods.
Some high traffic roads have also been completely blocked off with dirt on the roads that restrict access outside of some provinces and cities.

They have done the right thing with the general information of the virus by now, but it's pretty apparent that they could have ended the virus in its tracks if they would have let hospitals and people know that such a virus exists.
They're doing the best they can and the worst they can at the same time.

There is zero chance to stop it in its tracks it takes days to show symptoms. There is No way Canada or the states would have found it and shut down an area that big that fast. I have no idea why you think they didn’t handle this like pro’s

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
There is zero chance to stop it in its tracks it takes days to show symptoms. There is No way Canada or the states would have found it and shut down an area that big that fast. I have no idea why you think they didn’t handle this like pro’s
The earliest reports regarding this particular coronavirus were labeled as 7 people getting infected with SARS back in December by a Chinese doctor who was politically shunned to not spread the information. Now, this is NOT verified information and it's NOT a 100% of what has happened over there, but given the letter that was appointed to said doctor that was leaked, it's pretty apparent the Chinese officials knew something was up and did not want the knowledge of it to spread.

They're handling it correctly as they should now that the cat is out of their bag, but they sure didn't handle it at all in Wuhan, as the city wasn't even the 1st one to be locked down.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The earliest reports regarding this particular coronavirus were labeled as 7 people getting infected with SARS back in December by a Chinese doctor who was politically shunned to not spread the information. Now, this is NOT verified information and it's NOT a 100% of what has happened over there, but given the letter that was appointed to said doctor that was leaked, it's pretty apparent the Chinese officials knew something was up and did not want the knowledge of it to spread.

They're handling it correctly as they should now that the cat is out of their bag, but they sure didn't handle it at all in Wuhan, as the city wasn't even the 1st one to be locked down.

They didn’t arrest people they detained them for questioning and these people that were going into chat rooms and starting wide spread panic saying that they were going to die from sars...they even put the doctors in quarantine so they could figure out what was going on.
You don’t think if a doctor in the USA and 5 people in a hospital were put in quarantine for a unknown virus, that the doctor would be in trouble for going online and saying they are all going to die?
They didn’t try to hide anything they just didn’t know what was going on. But medical professionals should not be telling people sars is on the run and killing people before they even know what is wrong with people or what is going on.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Chinese-born Canadian here. I immigrated to Toronto from Shandong at a fairly young age and frequently go back to visit relatives so I wanna offer my input. Serpentza is actually a really good source of info and a lot of the things he says are on point IMO. China Uncensored is decent, but it's funded by Fa Lun Gong, an anti-CCP group, so they tend to be over the top with their criticism of China. I haven't watched any of their videos on the coronavirus, yet though. Here is a video that is made by a very well-known journalist that has actually risked his life by going to Wuhan and being around many sick patients. As he says in the video, he only reports what he himself has seen and what people in the area have told him, not internet rumors. The whole video is in Chinese, but someone has nicely translated his comments into English in the comments. Very, very shocking. The virus is supposedly much, much worse than reported. There's also a few clips of him visiting patients and nurses in Wuhan.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair and MrGold

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Chinese-born Canadian here. I immigrated to Toronto from Shandong at a fairly young age and frequently go back to visit relatives so I wanna offer my input. Serpentza is actually a really good source of info and a lot of the things he says are on point IMO. China Uncensored is decent, but it's funded by Fa Lun Gong, an anti-CCP group, so they tend to be over the top with their criticism of China. I haven't watched any of their videos on the coronavirus, yet though. Here is a video that is made by a very well-known journalist that has actually risked his life by going to Wuhan and being around many sick patients. As he says in the video, he only reports what he himself has seen and what people in the area have told him, not internet rumors. The whole video is in Chinese, but someone has nicely translated his comments into English in the comments. Very, very shocking. The virus is supposedly much, much worse than reported.

Cliffs:
- China knew about the virus in December already when a few doctors reported a "SARS-like" illness going around
- Eight doctors got arrested at the time for "spreading rumors"
- There are way too many patients, and not enough testing kits, not enough beds, and not enough doctors
- So therefore, only a small number of sick people are actually being tested
- People are lying right outside the hospital because they can't get access to care and some are falling dead
- Some people are so desperate they're getting an IV put into them from a tree
- People who are reporting the truth and recording videos about the virus are getting arrested (like a well-known guy named Fang Bin)
- This guy himself has been contacted by the police, who have also visited his parents and asked about his whereabouts

Reactions: MrGold

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Cliffs:
- China knew about the virus in December already when a few doctors reported a "SARS-like" illness going around
- Eight doctors got arrested at the time for "spreading rumors"
- There are way too many patients, and not enough testing kits, not enough beds, and not enough doctors
- So therefore, only a small number of sick people are actually being tested
- People are lying right outside the hospital because they can't get access to care and some are falling dead
- Some people are so desperate they're getting an IV put into them from a tree
- People who are reporting the truth and recording videos about the virus are getting arrested (like a well-known guy named Fang Bin)
- This guy himself has been contacted by the police, who have also visited his parents and asked about his whereabouts

They are not getting arrested for telling the truth, do you remember during the Syrian war there was fake news story war propaganda mentioning WhatsApp over and over?
Now we have Wechat propaganda, what a rabbit hole you go down with the major share holders in that group, they had to publicly apologize for brainwashing and fake newsing all of Africa for 60 years pushing their racist crap, now they have there hands in every country and they are have a company fully built on lies and propaganda.(look them up if you think this isn’t real)
It’s a sad world and the news isn’t real anymore. Watch how often Wechat will be slid into the news for the next little while

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
They are not getting arrested for telling the truth, do you remember during the Syrian war there was fake news story war propaganda mentioning WhatsApp over and over?
Now we have Wechat propaganda, what a rabbit hole you go down with the major share holders in that group, they had to publicly apologize for brainwashing and fake newsing all of Africa for 60 years pushing their racist crap, now they have there hands in every country and they are have a company fully built on lies and propaganda.(look them up if you think this isn’t real)
It’s a sad world and the news isn’t real anymore. Watch how often Wechat will be slid into the news for the next little while

What is your background and what is your source? I posted a video from a journalist who has seen these things first hand. He specifically said he was reporting only what he was seeing and what the locals and patients were telling him, not internet rumors. The official line he said was "被警察抓起来“ which officially translates to "getting captured by the police". Google Fang Bin, who has been recording videos about the people around the hospital. He has been "captured by police".

They didn’t arrest people they detained them for questioning and these people that were going into chat rooms and starting wide spread panic saying that they were going to die from sars...they even put the doctors in quarantine so they could figure out what was going on.
You don’t think if a doctor in the USA and 5 people in a hospital were put in quarantine for a unknown virus, that the doctor would be in trouble for going online and saying they are all going to die?
They didn’t try to hide anything they just didn’t know what was going on. But medical professionals should not be telling people sars is on the run and killing people before they even know what is wrong with people or what is going on.

The journalist in the video said that they were "captured by police" (official translation) in December for saying people were infected by a SARS-like virus. The government later justified this by saying that technically, the new virus was not SARS. The journalist once again says this is stupid, because technically SARS is also from the coronavirus family. He says imagine people are saying there is a Dongbei Tiger on a mountain and the government arrests them for spreading lies. Then a bunch of people get killed on the mountain. The government investigates and actually finds that it was a Huainan Tiger who killed the people so they say that the original rumors were lies indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedub and MrGold

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
What is your background and what is your source? I posted a video from a journalist who has seen these things first hand. The official line he said was "被警察抓起来“ which officially translates to "getting captured by the police". Google Fang Bin, who has been recording videos about the people around the hospital. He has been "captured by police".

The journalist in the video said that they were "captured by police" (official translation) in December for saying people were infected by a SARS-like virus. The government later justified this by saying that technically, the new virus was not SARS. The journalist once again says this is stupid, because technically SARS is also from the coronavirus family. He says imagine people are saying there is a Dongbei Tiger on a mountain and the government arrests them for spreading lies. Then a bunch of people get killed on the mountain. The government investigates and actually finds that it was a Huainan Tiger who killed the people so they say that the original rumors were lies indeed.

He walked into a quarantine area, do the math......he is now in quarantine, and no doctors giving false information is not the same...and I told you it’s fake propaganda Wechat adds in the news.
Open your eyes dude do you really think a blind crippled girl in the middle of a war zone with no power or internet was using WhatsApp to communicate and WhatsApp had to be mentioned over and over in the news stories. Even used in the headline of the story? It’s a bunch of fake crap.
The word Wechat will be used over and over it’s crap because China is the new ‘enemy’ just like Russia

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the Chinese government has extended the CNY holiday to 2/09/20 (workers returning 2/10/20).

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
He walked into a quarantine area, do the math......he is now in quarantine, and no doctors giving false information is not the same...and I told you it’s fake propaganda Wechat adds in the news.
Open your eyes dude do you really think a blind crippled girl in the middle of a war zone with no power or internet was using WhatsApp to communicate and WhatsApp had to be mentioned over and over in the news stories. Even used in the headline of the story? It’s a bunch of fake crap.
The word Wechat will be used over and over it’s crap because China is the new ‘enemy’ just like Russia

Yep, exactly, no source. I should really trust your views over investigative journalists who have been in the area themselves personally. I also don't know what you're talking about with the blind crippled girl (where did this come from) and Whataspp?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the Chinese government has extended the CNY holiday to 2/09/20 (workers returning 2/10/20).

Yes, my aunt is a high school teacher in Northern China. She said they are doing online classes right now with assigned homework. Nobody is going back to school soon. My grand-uncle sent me pictures of the streets. Busy areas have all their stores closed, and it looks empty everywhere. My grandfather is living in the rural area and they've actually blocked off the entrance to his village. The traffic light by the entrance is perpetually red. This is Shandong, which is actually quite far from the epicentre of the virus (Wuhan). I can't imagine what people there are dealing with. There's a lot of fear everywhere.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yep, exactly, no source. I should really trust your views over investigative journalists who have been in the area themselves personally. I also don't know what you're talking about with the blind crippled girl (where did this come from) and Whataspp?

Yes, my aunt is a high school teacher in Northern China. She said they are doing online classes right now with assigned homework. Nobody is going back to school soon. My grand-uncle sent me pictures of the streets. Busy areas have all their stores closed, and it looks empty everywhere. My grandfather is living in the rural area and they've actually blocked off the entrance to his village. The traffic light by the entrance is perpetually red. This is Shandong, which is actually quite far from the epicentre of the virus (Wuhan). I can't imagine what people there are dealing with. There's a lot of fear everywhere.

Ok so the reporter should walk around and visit his family after going into the hospital full of sick people?
Please do tell what they would do with him? Oh that’s right it’s called quarantine.
Stop spreading fear, people have it in the us and in Canada, you will see what it really is soon enough.
And stop blaming ‘china’ for A virus they have been around longer then humans

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Ok so the reporter should walk around and visit his family after going into the hospital full of sick people?
Please do tell what they would do with him? Oh that’s right it’s called quarantine.
Stop spreading fear, people have it in the us and in Canada, you will see what it really is soon enough.
And stop blaming ‘china’ for A virus they have been around longer then humans

Lol, if you actually watched the video, you would know that the reporter is not originally from Wuhan. He went there specifically to investigate the virus. His family is not there with him. He is currently staying in a hotel (and that is where he shot the video). He's in self-imposed quarantine. Not trying to spread fear, trying to give people a clear representation of what is going on. Never blamed China for the virus, moreso calling them out for trying to cover it up early on when reports of a SARS-like virus were going on. Lives could've been saved if they undertook the measures they are taking now back then. And yes, the Coronavirus family has been around long (and is one of the causes of the common cold), but this particular infective strain of coronavirus is novel.

I have no horse in this race. I love my homeland in certain ways, but acknowledge there is a lot of sketchy stuff going on. I'm only trying to report stuff told by me from reputable sources and anecdotally from my family members living in China. You keep saying this is all propaganda, but you provide zero sources.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Markets had been closed for a week for New Year's, so it's a week's worth of bad Coronavirus news, so US/Euro markets had already priced some of this in and Chinese markets are playing catch up.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I'm holding off drinking Corona for now. I'll stick to microbrews.

Not to make light of the situation - hoping damage stays at a minimum with this thing - healthwise, economic wise and any other wise.

Reactions: tealhockey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am just happy they cancelled my flight this morning (did not like the phone call at 6am my time to let me know) but I am getting a full refund. Was not happy about I was about to fly into China

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I am just happy they cancelled my flight this morning (did not like the phone call at 6am my time to let me know) but I am getting a full refund. Was not happy about I was about to fly into China

I don't blame you. Between the regular flu and Coronavirus, I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in a giant petri dish for 16+ hours. That flight is already stressful enough as it is.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I really don't want to be that guy but a majority of the recent discussion could, and would be better served in another forum. Let's keep from straying over the politico/sniping-at-other-posters line and lets keep the focus on the topic of this forum. Which is, the impacts this could potentially have on the NHL. Thank you

Reactions: Buffaloed

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't blame you. Between the regular flu and Coronavirus, I wouldn't be thrilled about sitting in a giant petri dish for 16+ hours. That flight is already stressful enough as it is.

I talked to paypal (who I paid through), the agent I used and the airline on friday and they were all saying the flight was a go--I got a cheap flight £330 return to Thailand via China--While it is not a lot money, it was annoying that I was being told I would have no option to get a refund. How 72 hours change things. Things is the first leg of the flight is still a go, it the Thailand portion that has been cancelled and that has allowed me to get the refund. Looks like the Thai guv has done something

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah I am talking to the people that work for me over there constantly, there is a lot of fear right now (rightfully so). The numbers they are being reported are close to what we are being reported in the US (at least what my friends there are saying). They are can check numbers on Alipay everyday.

From a purely business standpoint this is going to really impact production and product lead times for a long time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dow Jones INDEX TODAY | DJIA LIVE TICKER | Dow Jones QUOTE & CHART | Markets Insider

Three hours before close, DJIA is actually up nearly 200 points.

(Nevada Clark County case not Coronavirus)

I get the feeling that a lot of US/Canadian federal and state/provincial officials are keeping an eye on things, especially where/when large groups of people gathering. I would not be surprised that NHL teams and NHL security are reviewing biologic hazard procedures in light of this latest outbreak. (I also would not be surprised to see a PSA during a game reminding folks to wash their hands, etc.)

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Dow Jones INDEX TODAY | DJIA LIVE TICKER | Dow Jones QUOTE & CHART | Markets Insider

Three hours before close, DJIA is actually up nearly 200 points.

(Nevada Clark County case not Coronavirus)

I get the feeling that a lot of US/Canadian federal and state/provincial officials are keeping an eye on things, especially where/when large groups of people gathering. I would not be surprised that NHL teams and NHL security are reviewing biologic hazard procedures in light of this latest outbreak. (I also would not be surprised to see a PSA during a game reminding folks to wash their hands, etc.)
no doubt, public gatherings are problematic but other than postponing games, what could the league do? allow worried or sick fans to return tickets at full refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad