OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Continuing this here is somewhat off topic. We could pick it up in pm sometime if you'd want. I have some enjoy the outdoors stuff to do now with the sun out and weather pretty reasonable. The temp will be zero anyway. ;)

I'm headed out for a walk myself, with one eye looking towards the sky to see if there are any falling Boeing souvenirs coming my way. ;)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
the UK's peak was in early January, just like Canada and the U.S
and these variants have shown no evidence of being deadlier
UK peak was the UK variant though, the last wave they had was mostly the UK strain.

Anyhow, not more deadly I agree with. Nothing has indicated that, it needs to be said though that treatments are much better now than last spring. In Sweden they are claiming that the case/fatality rate has been cut to half just thanks to better and more timely treatments.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
In all likelihood once we reach spring I suspect we will get a slight reprieve. It'll be some time before we have mass vaccination to the general public, but if we can get it done in time for the Fall we might be able to have a somewhat normal Winter.

Lots of unknowns with the vaccine and virus. I suspect in the long run covid-19 might well end up being like the flu in that it will be seasonal and present a health risk. Between the vaccine and some degree of natural exposure I wonder where this will all end up and whether we will ever go back to our lackadaisical attitudes towards public spaces.
I think we'll stomp it out. I see what you are saying and it makes all the sense in the world, but the mobilisation against this is unprecedented. The best vaccines are at 90+% efficiency, that is crazy high.

Worst case it becomes like polio/measels 20 years ago and remain in some countries. I don't think it'll be worse than that, "living with this for years" in my book will have very little impact on most of us here.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Courtney Theriault

NEW: Vaccines can be offered at community pharmacies for those 75+ as of March 1st.

Appointments can be made through those pharmacies beginning today.

Albertans 75+ can book at 102 participating pharmacies in Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton.

That's in addition to 58 AHS sites that are offering vaccines starting today. Shandro says 150k people tried to log into the booking website, overwhelming the site.

Health link also swamped.

Says he understands the frustrations.

Shandro says it will take about a month to get first doses to all 230k Albertans aged 75+.

Says the system can handle now about 5k booking per hour.

Staff and other capacity added to address issues.

Work also done to deal with Telus log-on issues. Shandro says 25k seniors have booked appointments, adding that the first ones who booked this morning are already getting their dose this afternoon.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A thread by Courtney Theriault

NEW: Vaccines can be offered at community pharmacies for those 75+ as of March 1st.

Appointments can be made through those pharmacies beginning today.

Albertans 75+ can book at 102 participating pharmacies in Calgary, Red Deer and Edmonton.

That's in addition to 58 AHS sites that are offering vaccines starting today. Shandro says 150k people tried to log into the booking website, overwhelming the site.

Health link also swamped.

Says he understands the frustrations.

Shandro says it will take about a month to get first doses to all 230k Albertans aged 75+.

Says the system can handle now about 5k booking per hour.

Staff and other capacity added to address issues.

Work also done to deal with Telus log-on issues. Shandro says 25k seniors have booked appointments, adding that the first ones who booked this morning are already getting their dose this afternoon.

Better chance of phoning in for Rolling Stones tickets..

I mean c'mon people 150K people trying to get through in one day? To book one age cohort.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
3.69 at the London Drugs in Sh Pk. hehe. Man, they have plentiful stock of everything. I love London Drugs for this type of thing. They've been better source than even medical supply places.
When Walmart starts selling these for $2.99 and the shelves are full, I’ll know things are back to normal. Haven’t been in a Walmart for a few months so for all I know we’re already there.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Better chance of phoning in for Rolling Stones tickets..

I mean c'mon people 150K people trying to get through in one day? To book one age cohort.
Seniors are the most impatient people there are, no question. I have some thoughts...
Maybe the vaccine shot is their only task for the day, other than relieving themselves and getting some food in the gut.
Or maybe they figure their time on this earth is limited, so , giddy up!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seniors are the most impatient people there are, no question. I have some thoughts...
Maybe the vaccine shot is their only task for the day, other than relieving themselves and getting some food in the gut.
Or maybe they figure their time on this earth is limited, so , giddy up!

Not sure I'd limit it to any age group. I think more the case people have been media bombed into some kind of weird desperation. I mean its the same shot available next week, the week after, and you'll get the vaccine. Same thing whenever anything happens. When they opened up CERB online it was buggered for days. Just wait. I mean why expose to hours of aggravation trying to get through the first day? Thats why I made the Stones quip. I mean in that case its 50K seats then its gone. Although last time they played Commonwealth twice so 100K. Still sold out in hours. Finite supply

All these people speed dialing to get the vaccine and get somewhat ill. When its my turn I'll wait. By then won't be no big deal I suspect.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure I'd limit it to any age group. I think more the case people have been media bombed into some kind of weird desperation. I mean its the same shot available next week, the week after, and you'll get the vaccine. Same thing whenever anything happens. When they opened up CERB online it was buggered for days. Just wait. I mean why expose to hours of aggravation trying to get through the first day? Thats why I made the Stones quip. I mean in that case its 50K seats then its gone. Although last time they played Commonwealth twice so 100K. Still sold out in hours. Finite supply

All these people speed dialing to get the vaccine and get somewhat ill. When its my turn I'll wait. By then won't be no big deal I suspect.
I'm talking about , in general, not just for the vaccines. The thing is we'll all get there soon enough, (if we're lucky), and probably act the same way. ;)

Speaking of the vaccines, it tends to be like a Titanic type of effect. Everyone for themselves, crawling over others to get at it first.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If you need to make an appointment for the vaccine for any0one, have patience. Between myself and my Wife, we finally managed to get our folks setup. It's kinda frustrating though.

Good luck.

There is also a simple code fix circulating if you are having issues making an appt online. Was registering a family member and got in right away after applying the fix.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yes, good for you for sure. I just wish the people that we have placed in positions with the so-called "expertise" and influence and decision-making could have seen this as well.
Most of those come from positions of entitlement. It’s hard for them to be worried about something that affects the little people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad