OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
This is a bit disconnected but theres so much that doesn't make sense. Even the NHL response of allowing some fans in the indoor games down south in the warmer states where cases are subsidizing but the same NHL stating "there is no way" fans will be allowed to the outdoor games. lol. Thats where the games SHOULD BE. I would feel far safer being outdoors watching a game in a 70K bowl wrap and mega distanced seating than I would be going into an indoor arena with a distanced 3-4K people indoors.

How the NHL comes to this conclusion is anybodies guess, but they figure the outdoor events would be more dangerous, and are preemptly refusing to have attendance at those is unfathomable.

There's no basis for these decisions, they just occur.

Its as if people making these decisions still believe in Miasma theory of infection and that somehow a newer shiny "clean" arena is a safer place than the great outdoors. Makes no sense.

We require people to be 2m apart from anybody in a field, park, skating rink, pathway, etc, but we let people crowd into malls. It defies rationale.
Where are the outdoor games taking place?

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015
They specifically state in statistics all the schools that have outbreaks, which they are not required to do, and yet you suggest its cover up of some sort. I'm not understanding your reply.

Refreshing outbreak alerts is perfectly reasonable, due to an sensible acknowledgement that after a very lengthy break, and much longer than incubation periods, that there are no current outbreaks at schools. I mean anybody can go back to past public record, or information even contained in upbreaks. I think they are wiping the slate clean as it is a restart after a prolonged period off. Not for the reason you suggest.

Case notes and other corroborating data also give further information and there might even be subsequent addendum information. It just becomes very messy, in columns and several pages to list that all that have occurred in data in spreadsheets that are meant to convey current outbreaks. The outbreaks that occurred in schools in December or earlier are not current. Its more helpful for people (parents) to be able to scan what current school infections are arising and make decisions about their own children attending on that behalf. I like that is available to children and parents.

You are repeating the government's explanation for wiping the slate clean. I understand their explanation just fine. With the current government's approval rating in the dumpster, and the lost of trust they have earned, it isn't outlandish for me to question their decisions especially considering their history of being more concerned with optics rather than the truth.

Plenty of my friends who are parents are concerned with this decision. A separate organization started keeping track of school outbreaks in AB because the government wasn't forthcoming with that information arguing that children were not a significant source of spread. The government has stuck with that argument even when hundreds of schools had outbreaks, and when they sent students from grade 7-12 home.

I know several families where they all got infected by one of their kids catching it at school. I know several families where a parent got it and passed it to their entire family causing them to quarantine, but not before their kids had already been to school for several days. There are studies that show schools are a source of spread. I think most of us just want some clarity, transparency and straight talk from the government. I am a teacher by the way.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They specifically state in statistics all the schools that have outbreaks, which they are not required to do, and yet you suggest its cover up of some sort. I'm not understanding your reply.

Refreshing outbreak alerts is perfectly reasonable, due to an sensible acknowledgement that after a very lengthy break, and much longer than incubation periods, that there are no current outbreaks at schools. I mean anybody can go back to past public record, or information even contained in upbreaks. I think they are wiping the slate clean as it is a restart after a prolonged period off. Not for the reason you suggest.

Case notes and other corroborating data also give further information and there might even be subsequent addendum information. It just becomes very messy, in columns and several pages to list that all that have occurred in data in spreadsheets that are meant to convey current outbreaks. The outbreaks that occurred in schools in December or earlier are not current. Its more helfpul for people (parents) to be able to scan what current school infections are arising and make decisions about their own children attending on that behalf. I like that is available to children and parents.

You mean if kids haven’t been in schools for almost a month that there wouldn’t be any cases in schools? Wow what a scandalous coverup :baghead:

Reactions: oilers'72

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think school is going to go far better this time around, seeing as how it’s still illegal to have anyone outside your household in your home, which is by far the biggest driver of spread.

Glad parents have the choice on whether they want to send their kids to school or keep them home.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You are repeating the government's explanation for wiping the slate clean. I understand their explanation just fine. With the current government's approval rating in the dumpster, and the lost of trust they have earned, it isn't outlandish for me to question their decisions especially considering their history of being more concerned with optics rather than the truth.

Plenty of my friends who are parents are concerned with this decision. A separate organization started keeping track of school outbreaks in AB because the government wasn't forthcoming with that information arguing that children were not a significant source of spread. The government has stuck with that argument even when hundreds of schools had outbreaks, and when they sent students from grade 7-12 home.

I know several families where they all got infected by one of their kids catching it at school. I know several families where a parent got it and passed it to their entire family causing them to quarantine, but not before their kids had already been to school for several days. There are studies that show schools are a source of spread. I think most of us just want some clarity, transparency and straight talk from the government. I am a teacher by the way.

can you show us those studies? Because a friend of a friend type stuff combined with your political twist on everything sounds like you might be HK97’s alt account.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Just to be clear I wasn't repeating any govt statement, I was not even aware what that statement specifically was. I was just coming at the reply in terms of what made sense in depicting current outbreaks.

My sincere condolences that you are a teacher during this most difficult of times. I can certainly understand how we could have different perspectives on this from our respective vantage points, and you are on the front line, so I will respect that too, I am currently not, I am semi retired.

But its even worse in some places. I think it was Denmark that was telling teachers not to wear masks, that they had to continue to go closely up to children, to lean over children to help them do their work, that this was a requirement of teaching. I thought that was frighteningly myopic in regards to a pandemic like this.

I do disagree that there hasn't been any straight talk or attempts there of. You would recognize the difference if there was none. I have to think that one hour speeches, that are quite involved, and speak to a lot can be more than just seen as downplay or not being straight.

Every country in the world except for Island nations or nations that shut borders immediately have seen the scourge of the pandemic, the undeniable pain, loss, which is only mitigated to degrees by measures. It isn't stopped. So that its easy to say during a pandemic what isn't there, what hasn't been done ideally. I prefer to also recognize effective and helpful measures. The mass distribution of 40M of free masks in Alberta. Unprecedented anywhere else on the continent. Measures like free room and board for any individuals in families reporting outbreak in homes, and that seek isolation further to containment.

I agree that school spread and to family spread is a concern. I do agree that opening of schools at all during a pandemic is always going to be a concern. But I also agree the chief, and arguably only function of a society is raising children, and that we all must persevere in allowing that regard. There is no more important function than raising children, and with education being key component of that.

Thank you as well for educating our youth, and your passion, and believing in that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well, vaccine stations are being set up in New York and all of those 65 and up in addition to essential workers are eligible in two weeks so I can get my poor beyond stressed out mother (a woman who has anxiety issues even in the best of times) the vaccine in a couple of weeks and hopefully at least a little peace of mind to go along with it.

The light at the end of the tunnel is finally in sight. Chin up everybody.

Not quite here. We've vaccinated 1.1% of our provincial population so far. Nationally Canada is still below 1%. Gen pop from statements won't be seeing vaccination until the fall. We're all hoping the vaccination amounts precede another wave through mutated variation infections. We got a lot of winter left and far from out of the woods here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015
can you show us those studies? Because a friend of a friend type stuff combined with your political twist on everything sounds like you might be HK97’s alt account.

It wasn't a friend of a friend type stuff. I am talking about my students. This isn't about politics for me, and if you are assuming I am coming from a particular political background then I got news for you. See you all later.

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You're suggesting they invent a vaccine and large scale production facility, staffed and trained, and pass it through qa and public safety testing in a few months.

The reason Pfizer and the others could do it in a year was because everything was basically there.

Why isn't Alberta making vaccines instead of oil?

I'm suggesting nothing of the sort. Read my post again. Trudeau spent precious time chasing the wrong dog internationally.

As for developing their own vaccines, Alberta is. I know the head of the company personally, and it should be released later this year.
Edmonton company Entos developing DNA vaccine against COVID-19

Edmonton company Entos developing DNA vaccine against COVID-19 | Folio

What vaccines are the largest provinces (Quebec and Ontario) coming up with?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I wonder if part of the TV deal is X amount of outdoor games? That's the only logical reason to even putting one on, so they wouldnt have to pay that back.

The league is also looking at ways to create attention, and playing a game at a remote mountain location with cool scenery in the background in theory attract attention from viewers who typically wouldn't watch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sometimes we meet our fate on the paths we try to avoid it on.

Beautifully stated. Is that yours, or a quote?

edit

Surprised to see its a derivation of a quote from Goldie Hawn. i read her biography but didn't remember the quote.

edit 2 French proverb, Goldy stole it...heh

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Not quite here. We've vaccinated 1.1% of our provincial population so far. Nationally Canada is still below 1%. Gen pop from statements won't be seeing vaccination until the fall. We're all hoping the vaccination amounts precede another wave through mutated variation infections. We got a lot of winter left and far from out of the woods here.

The vaccine will work better than that. There will be big role out soon. As so many people have had the virus it will slow its spread as well.

Finally, people are just going to start going about their lives. A virus with a 99.7% survival rate is only going to scare people for so long. Despite people like you insisting this is the end of the world, it is not.

Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The vaccine will work better than that. There will be big role out soon. As so many people have had the virus it will slow its spread as well.

Finally, people are just going to start going about their lives. A virus with a 99.7% survival rate is only going to scare people for so long. Despite people like you insisting this is the end of the world, it is not.
I think he's just saying that it's not all sunshine and lollipops yet. For much of the world, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Stop with the "people like you" comments.

Its only intentionally abrasive and people can spot that.

You come right out of the blue with another driveby. Not even involved in the discussion.

I've maintained all along people can be living their lives, My wife and I are responsible for our own safety. I have not been at any point in favor of MORE restrictions. Only closed borders initially. If you want to typecast, at least get it right.

Or get something right. Not even 100M of the worlds pop are confirmed positive yet. Only 684K Canadians are. We're not even close to being impacted by herd immunity at this point.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

It's the end of the world for the 2M people who have died from it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seven residents at Montreal care home get COVID-19 after receiving first vaccine dose | National Newswatch

A bunch also had to sue the Quebec government in order to be able to receive their second dose within the manufacturers recommended timeline.

What a clusterbuck. The two stage vaccination is one other knock against pfizer vaccines. But man, it seems like they can't even do this logistically very well for care homes.

Aren't we using Moderna here for the care homes for this type of reason?

This taken directly from the article;

Quebec has decided to delay administering second doses to patients and has instead chosen to give a first dose to as many people as possible.

The above not recommended by the manufacturer and some studies are suggesting there can be considerable risk of contracting between 1st and 2nd vaccination

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
What a clusterbuck. The two stage vaccination is one other knock against pfizer vaccines. But man, it seems like they can't even do this logistically very well for care homes.

If the leaked data is true, there may be more distrust in Pfizer shortly. Though something tells me the potential for this story will most likely be buried or edited.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Both the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccines require two shots: a priming dose, followed by a booster shot. The interval between Moderna doses is 28 days; for the Pfizer vaccine, it’s 21 days.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Stop with the "people like you" comments.

Its only intentionally abrasive and people can spot that.

You come right out of the blue with another driveby. Not even involved in the discussion.

I've maintained all along people can be living their lives, My wife and I are responsible for our own safety. I have not been at any point in favor of MORE restrictions. Only closed borders initially. If you want to typecast, at least get it right.

Or get something right. Not even 100M of the worlds pop are confirmed positive yet. Only 684K Canadians are. We're not even close to being impacted by herd immunity at this point.
To add to your bottom point.
They say herd immunity requires anywhere between 40-70% of the population being immune depending on the virus. Slower spreading virus can be as low as 40 but easy to spread is up to 70. So let's go with just half of Canadians at 50%. That's roughly 13.5mill Canadians. Which is 20x more than we have confirmed right now. Saw the survival rate is 99.7% like the guy said, that would mean we would have around 40k deaths as well. Thankfully vaccinations will help with that but still.
The bigger point here is for herd immunity we are going to need 13.5 million Canadians+ to be vaccinated/have had covid. We are no where close to that yet sadly.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad