OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What a clusterbuck. The two stage vaccination is one other knock against pfizer vaccines. But man, it seems like they can't even do this logistically very well for care homes.

Aren't we using Moderna here for the care homes for this type of reason?

This taken directly from the article;

Quebec has decided to delay administering second doses to patients and has instead chosen to give a first dose to as many people as possible.

The above not recommended by the manufacturer and some studies are suggesting there can be considerable risk of contracting between 1st and 2nd vaccination
Jesus Christ that's baffling. Delaying the second dose makes the second dose near useless. And delaying it just so more people get the first dose is how you literally waste the vaccine.

My god that's pure incompetence there

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is the type of info that makes me pretty worried about the future
I wouldn't be that worried about it. Eventually like the flu Covid will mutate to be less damaging to be able to sustain itself.
If we are going to live with it like the flu it's not a huge deal. If you are at risk get a flu shot if not just practice proper hygiene and stuff.

Reactions: AM and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the type of info that makes me pretty worried about the future

Moderna and Pfizer. "Please buy more of our product and shares now"

lets not forget in all of this what business these companies are in, and its not always benevolence. This has been a once in a century lottery for all these big pharma firms in which they are taking over as big players on any block.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm suggesting nothing of the sort. Read my post again. Trudeau spent precious time chasing the wrong dog internationally.

As for developing their own vaccines, Alberta is. I know the head of the company personally, and it should be released later this year.
Edmonton company Entos developing DNA vaccine against COVID-19

Edmonton company Entos developing DNA vaccine against COVID-19 | Folio

What vaccines are the largest provinces (Quebec and Ontario) coming up with?

well good.

im just skeptical of blaming the feds here. it just seems like a political move for no reason. no one was going to come out of this with a win.

I am ok that everyone should be held accountable but preferably to the same standard.

I just think its common sense that Canada may runout of vaccinations....but i dont know what the global capacity is.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Do you have a link or any evidence of that?
Sorry, but I can't post that here; it is not as simple as posting a link.

What evidence would you like me to provide? I have not claimed anything other than an alleged leak. I have not discussed what is in the memos; and I most likely won't -- publicly, at least.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
well good.

im just skeptical of blaming the feds here. it just seems like a political move for no reason. no one was going to come out of this with a win.

I am ok that everyone should be held accountable but preferably to the same standard.

I just think its common sense that Canada may runout of vaccinations....but i dont know what the global capacity is.

Unfortunately that’s a very common theme throughout this pandemic. Feds have a huge screwup but people give them a free pass.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Unfortunately that’s a very common theme throughout this pandemic. Feds have a huge screwup but people give them a free pass.

Speaking of which. Just last week the Feds put all the blame on the provinces and told them to speed up vaccinations. Back to you Jr.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I wouldn't be that worried about it. Eventually like the flu Covid will mutate to be less damaging to be able to sustain itself.
If we are going to live with it like the flu it's not a huge deal. If you are at risk get a flu shot if not just practice proper hygiene and stuff.
I'm less worried about the health effects, and more worried when I can get back to running my business which involves large gatherings. Im worried that this virus will continue to overwhelm our hospitals at times and continue this on/off approach with our society that our government is currently implementing.

I keep hearing that we need to just hold on a few more months, but im getting more nervous as time goes on.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm less worried about the health effects, and more worried when I can get back to running my business which involves large gatherings. Im worried that this virus will continue to overwhelm our hospitals at times and continue this on/off approach with our society that our government is currently implementing.

I keep hearing that we need to just hold on a few more months, but im getting more nervous as time goes on.
Once the vaccine is widespread enough things will go back to a new normal.

I'm hoping the new normal is actual paid sick days being mandated (so many people go to work sick cause they can't afford to stay hope), maybe it comes out of the EI pot or something, I don't know.

I think people may have to get a seasonal shot like the flu shot and stuff but I don't think it'll forever control our lives.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Once the vaccine is widespread enough things will go back to a new normal.

I'm hoping the new normal is actual paid sick days being mandated (so many people go to work sick cause they can't afford to stay hope), maybe it comes out of the EI pot or something, I don't know.

I think people may have to get a seasonal shot like the flu shot and stuff but I don't think it'll forever control our lives.
I hope so. I’m hopeful the vaccine will work, and can be adjusted every year as needed.

I can’t help but be concerned that because we have a hospital system designed to run at near capacity, that if things don’t go near perfectly with the vaccine that our hospitals get overwhelmed in the winter months and things get shut down.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I hope so. I’m hopeful the vaccine will work, and can be adjusted every year as needed.

I can’t help but be concerned that because we have a hospital system designed to run at near capacity, that if things don’t go near perfectly with the vaccine that our hospitals get overwhelmed in the winter months and things get shut down.
A lot of virus actually become less harmful over time. All virus want to do is spread. If people become immune in various ways it'll slowly become less harmful to become more spreadable.

Tons of people catch the flu every year and never show a single sign of it. Covid will be that too. Flu season may just become worse than it is in the past but our hospitals weren't near limits then anyways

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
isn't the first dose 80% effective?

vaccinating twice as many people at 80% is better than half the people at 95%
I know the Phizer one is 52% after shot 1, 92% after the second and a week later it goes up to 95%

Edit: best way I had it explained is the first shot is kind of like putting your immune system thru medschool and the second shot is putting your immune system thru Interning as a doctor.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
even then it's more than half...I don't see it as a terrible strategy
Say you have 1000000 shots.
You vaccinate 1mill people essentially of that 1mill, 48% of them would not be protected thru it it which means you have 420k wasted shots
You vaccinate 500k with it at 92% that leaves 40k able to catch it, with potentially 80k wasted shots.
It's much more efficient to just give the shots out properly than just trying to vaccinate more.

Reactions: nabob

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You vaccinate 1mill people essentially of that 1mill, 48% of them would not be protected thru it it which means you have 420k wasted shots
You vaccinate 500k with it at 92% that leaves 40k able to catch it, with potentially 80k wasted shots.
It's much more efficient to just give the shots out properly than just trying to vaccinate more.
and what about all the people catching it as you wait 2 weeks for the 2nd dose?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And another point to the efficacy of the vaccines is the period directly after the shot being very important. It's not like you get the needle and can immediately go prancing about thinking you are bullet-proof.It takes about two weeks afterward for the full effect. It's why that nurse contracted the virus even though she had just received the shot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
and what about all the people catching it as you wait 2 weeks for the 2nd dose?
It's definitely a possiblity too. But after that second dose you have all those people extremely protected, the longer you wait the better chance you have more and more. Extending that windows puts them at risk.

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm with the "vaccinate as many as you can" crowd. I think I read somewhere recently that you can have a delay of up to 42 days before getting the 2nd one. IMO, I would rather have twice the amount of people at around 52 % efficacy than half of them with 94%. The point is, we have to keep doing the things we are doing to protect ourselves, and not let our foot off the gas just because the immunizations have started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad