OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm with the "vaccinate as many as you can" crowd. I think I read somewhere recently that you can have a delay of up to 42 days before getting the 2nd one. IMO, I would rather have twice the amount of people at around 52 % efficacy than half of them with 94%. The point is, we have to keep doing the things we are doing to protect ourselves, and not let our foot off the gas just because the immunizations have started.
I don't think the math really works out that way, but we will see.

My only worry is the longer you wait between the shots the more opportunities you have to catch the virus and over time people will become less likely to keep trying.

I'm okay with them wanting to vaccinate more quickly and extend the second round but if we run into an issue where we can't get that second round as early as they thought(being late as is) it can be a nightmare.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm with the "vaccinate as many as you can" crowd. I think I read somewhere recently that you can have a delay of up to 42 days before getting the 2nd one. IMO, I would rather have twice the amount of people at around 52 % efficacy than half of them with 94%. The point is, we have to keep doing the things we are doing to protect ourselves, and not let our foot off the gas just because the immunizations have started.

I'm close to this opinion as well, with the catch being that they should at least ensure everyone who gets the first shot still gets the second within the 42 day window. Though you could look at it as potentially wasting that first shot, right now supplies are very limited so I'd rather a larger number of people at least have partial protection as soon as possible. 9 months from now, Canada likely has a surplus, so if some of this first group gets a third booster later in the year, why not.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
even then it's more than half...I don't see it as a terrible strategy
It’s not recommended by the manufacturer. We are in uncharted territory with a new type of vaccine as it is. People want to disregard the instructions? Doesn’t seem like the best idea. And for those who just want to rail against Quebec ... the UK is doing the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s not where Quebec got the idea. The Guardian as usual so nobody can complain about the link.

Second shots of Covid vaccine could be delayed further in England

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yep, blame the people who had nothing to do with the procurement of the vaccines.

if only things could have been handled better earlier. Probably the most common response to how the Feds have handled any aspect. But when you are proroguing parliament and having your finance minister resign in disgrace over a billion dollar scandal that involves the PMs family, there were clearly more important things on the docket than the lives of Canadians.

It's been an interesting dynamic. Last week you have the Province blaming the supply for low vaccination numbers, where the Feds were saying why don't you use what you've got since the provinces were slow to get needles in arms. Now the Provinces have ramped up to the point where supply does become a legit question. Will be interesting to see next week if all of the sudden it swings the other way again if all of the sudden supplies increase.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Only 875 cases in Alberta today on 16K tests. 5% positivity. Best its been in months.

Hospital and ICU remaining stubbornly the same.

So we keep decreasing new cases astronomically with no change in hospital situations whatsoever. Every day lends some creedence to my parking theory that patients that could be, are simply not being discharged as often as possible.

The hospitals and AHS having gotten their every request, now probably love sitting back and dealing with the same patients every day. Still complaining though.

Gotta say as well that every day still considerable death counts and more than when we went into shutting things down.

I guess at some point we start to see positive results other than lower case numbers.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Only 875 cases in Alberta today on 16K tests. 5% positivity. Best its been in months.

Hospital and ICU remaining stubbornly the same.

So we keep decreasing new cases astronomically with no change in hospital situations whatsoever. Every day lends some creedence to my parking theory that patients that could be, are simply not being discharged as often as possible.

The hospitals and AHS having gotten their every request, now probably love sitting back and dealing with the same patients every day. Still complaining though.

Gotta say as well that every day still considerable death counts and more than when we went into shutting things down.

I guess at some point we start to see positive results other than lower case numbers.
The frustrating thing about the hospital and ICU cases going down at such a slow rate, is the average amount of time COVID patients, which apparently is around 3 weeks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think the math really works out that way, but we will see.

My only worry is the longer you wait between the shots the more opportunities you have to catch the virus and over time people will become less likely to keep trying.

I'm okay with them wanting to vaccinate more quickly and extend the second round but if we run into an issue where we can't get that second round as early as they thought(being late as is) it can be a nightmare.
It's a gamble either way. Hopefully, we choose wisely (luckily).

Reactions: nabob and oilers'72

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Edmonton and Calgary both at exactly 3965 active cases.

The Plandemic people pulling the strings must be getting lazy!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The frustrating thing about the hospital and ICU cases going down at such a slow rate, is the average amount of time COVID patients, which apparently is around 3 weeks.

I think a lot of those people are still a burden on the system even after they are taken off the COVID list too. Lots of old people post-covid with lung issues taking up space in hospitals. Many that could be moved but there is no long term care space for them to go to. Not a unique problem, lots of old people end up like that, but COVID-19 helped pile on a lot more of these kinds of patients.

Hope they figure out what to do about long term care after this. So many issues exposed, many rooting from how we've let a for-profit mentality take over much of the industry.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think we need our cases to go down even more golf we want our ICU and hospitalization rates to go down. At this rate, it might be about an equal amount of people coming out of the hospital as people going in.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's been an interesting dynamic. Last week you have the Province blaming the supply for low vaccination numbers, where the Feds were saying why don't you use what you've got since the provinces were slow to get needles in arms. Now the Provinces have ramped up to the point where supply does become a legit question. Will be interesting to see next week if all of the sudden it swings the other way again if all of the sudden supplies increase.
Yeah, and in cases like this I think the important thing is to have supplies available. It’s a huge cost to have clinics and mobile vaccination units sitting around because there’s no supply.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I think we need our cases to go down even more golf we want our ICU and hospitalization rates to go down. At this rate, it might be about an equal amount of people coming out of the hospital as people going in.
800 cases a day shouldn't be keeping the numbers this high. historically, globe over, a small percentage of covid patients require hospital care. I mean on average one out of 25 in Alberta that have had Covid require hospital care.

So on average given 800some cases a day around 30some should require hospital care. This is almost equal to the number of people dying per day (which sadly are also case resolutions) so that all the math suggests that there is immense stagnation of cases in hospitals, just sitting there. who knows for how long. We recently had over 1k in hospital. Including deaths and people getting better case resolutions from hospitals should number around 100per day. Somehow they are not.

Kind of gives an impression how futile our hospital response has been compared to other jurisdictions that have had to work much more efficiently with patients and under a ceaseless load.

Our hospitals and ICU filled up really quickly, I suspect through substandard treatment compared to other jurisdictions, and they are full now because of continued struggles.

Wouldn't surprise me if case turnover in the hospitals has been very slow since September, when they first started coming in in numbers.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Beautifully stated. Is that yours, or a quote?

edit

Surprised to see its a derivation of a quote from Goldie Hawn. i read her biography but didn't remember the quote.

edit 2 French proverb, Goldy stole it...heh
There is nothing new under the sun.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Not a fan of this move. Several sources still stating that first dose vaccine is only giving 50-52% immunity. I mean thats good relative to Flu Vaccines but its a huge gamble and doesn't maximize safety for anybody. I would prefer that vaccinated people first in line, that they get both of their shots first. I'll wait.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not a fan of this move. Several sources still stating that first dose vaccine is only giving 50-52% immunity. I mean thats good relative to Flu Vaccines but its a huge gamble and doesn't maximize safety for anybody. I would prefer that vaccinated people first in line, that they get both of their shots first. I'll wait.
disagree holding onto half the vaccines for 2 weeks while others who could have had the vaccine, are infecting others

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Frustrated that so many jurisdictions are taking the approach of deciding to ignore the recommended application of these drugs. I am getting so tired of “expert says do this”, yet multiple governments are deciding to ignore the experts who developed and manufactured the vaccine.
Makes you wonder if the goal is to actually prevent people from getting the virus or if the goal is to just make the numbers look as good as possible and be able to say “look how many people we vaccinated!” Except that all those people only got the one dose and may not be helped at all by it by the time they get the second one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->