OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

“Critically ill patients with COVID-19 require a highly trained team working at the bedside around the clock.”

Can someone with more first hand knowledge extrapolate on this? From what I have heard for the most part there’s limited options to treat those who are critically ill.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We've really done a great job with schools in AB. The school my kids go to had 5 cases total through this, but zero in school transmission. The masking and cleaning has pretty much stopped that all over the province. Lots of people have gone to a school with covid without spreading.

Really wish the same could happen in other areas. I know we have never experienced the kind of community spread that many places in the world have that felt they had to close schools, but not many places in Canada have seen the kind of ramp up of spread that we had to start this winter in Edmonton. Schools are a unique case in all this. You have so many people working together, so many people that feel like they have a stake in not letting their school turn into a disaster. No parent wants their kid to be the one that starts a mess, which may actually have the benefit of encouraging more people being careful in their every day lives. I'm sure every principle is around cracking the whip every day to make sure things won't happen on their watch. It's a tough call for the gov't to decide they no longer trust all these people to do what they've been doing pretty successfully so far.

Hope we keep this up and never have to go there again. And there is no doubt about the benefits of kids being able to attend school. I cannot say with confidence my kids would still be of this world if I had them around the house every day :P
This is good to hear from an individual standpoint (you) and in general. I remember the naysayers on here and elsewhere were going wild when they announced schools would be re-opening in the fall, and armagedon was about to hit us.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
“Critically ill patients with COVID-19 require a highly trained team working at the bedside around the clock.”

Can someone with more first hand knowledge extrapolate on this? From what I have heard for the most part there’s limited options to treat those who are critically ill.
They should be saying "bedside(s). I would suspect they "make the rounds" and check many, many beds during their shift. The inference in that statement is that you have a group of healthcare workers standing over a single patients bed for hours on end.

Reactions: yukoner88 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They should be saying "bedside(s). I would suspect they "make the rounds" and check many, many beds during their shift. The inference in that statement is that you have a group of healthcare workers standing over a single patients bed for hours on end.

yeah that’s kind of how it reads. Basically it’s saying that ICUs have to be staffed at all times...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Quebec's curfew might be extended past Feb. 8, Legault and Dubé suggest | Montreal Gazette

The curfew is paying off,” Legault said at a news conference at the legislature. “There are fewer gatherings after 8 p.m. and less contagion. We’ve been going in the right direction in the last 10 days, but there’s still a long way to go...

We must be patient and continue our efforts, especially for people over 65
.” End Quote

They do nothing to very little to protect those in Long Term Care (no effort) and then turn around and tell people to restrict their lives because all the work said politicians really wanted to do was write down a few rules that take maybe five minutes to dictate.

Efforts? It is both hypocritical and bemusing. When will people tire of being misled?
Yup, Quebec has been magnificent in protecting those in LTC. :sarcasm:Hopefully, they don't continue with the "same efforts" that they have in the past. And the numbers should be going down drastically, since they're practically in a marshall law state.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Been saying this for awhile. Make them pay for their own additional testing too.

Only thing I do have to say though is why allow flights at all if it's that big of a deal? Seems like any additional restrictions don't really need to happen if you just have one restriction in place.

Then again making people stay in hotels is creating jobs.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Old broad and I just finished being tested at the Expo. The centre was empty-- aside from staff. That was nice to see. Though I hope that is not due to people scared of being tested. When we arrived, the parking lot was full. We assumed the place would be busy.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Probably takes a couple years to really figure out. Could have some increase of suicides, but also could have a large decrease of accidental deaths with the reduction of so many people doing things. Also likely a decrease of flu deaths, although that usually peaks at the start of the year. Also may have some political influence in how numbers were reported since it was an election year, which would be unfortunate.

H1N1 deaths went from ~3k to an estimate of ~14k after a couple years of going through records. COVID obviously has been tracked a lot more closely, but would not be at all surprised to see the final number a good amount larger.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Probably takes a couple years to really figure out. Could have some increase of suicides, but also could have a large decrease of accidental deaths with the reduction of so many people doing things. Also likely a decrease of flu deaths, although that usually peaks at the start of the year. Also may have some political influence in how numbers were reported since it was an election year, which would be unfortunate.

H1N1 deaths went from ~3k to an estimate of ~14k after a couple years of going through records. COVID obviously has been tracked a lot more closely, but would not be at all surprised to see the final number a good amount larger.

All legit points but this takes all of that noise out of the equation. It's pretty easy in this day in age to just count the number of deaths without any regard as to the cause. Based on historical averages 424,000 more dead than stats would predict. There's no doubt COVID and the impacts it's had on peoples lives has to be a huge contributor.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
All legit points but this takes all of that noise out of the equation. It's pretty easy in this day in age to just count the number of deaths without any regard as to the cause. Based on historical averages 424,000 more dead than stats would predict. There's no doubt COVID and the impacts it's had on peoples lives has to be a huge contributor.

Yes, no question. Definitely didn't meant to argue against COVID having a major impact. Was just pondering a bit about how the actual COVID-19 toll will play out in time.

Side note on AB. Back under 10k active cases! 1st time since Nov 14th.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Well, at least the world isn't flat anymore. I gather you flat earthers will change your mind concerning the effectiveness of masks now that MSM have finally told you the whole truth. ;)

The face mask that could end the Covid-19 pandemic - CNN

"Studies have shown that masks significantly decrease the chances of transmitting or contracting the coronavirus...

But not all masks provide equal protection. Depending on the fabric and number of layers, homemade and simple cloth masks have a range of effectiveness that can be as low as 26%, which leaves the wearer vulnerable."

'The quality of protection a face mask can provide is crucial.
"

"We know now that aerosols spread best when there is poor ventilation, crowding and close contact that's prolonged," Karan told Gupta in an interview. "So we were arguing that actually in those settings, cloth masks alone are not going to block aerosols."

"If for four weeks the country essentially wore these masks (N95) in those risky settings like that indoors, what kind of difference do you think it would make?" Gupta asked.

"This would stop the epidemic," Karan responded."

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Old broad and I just finished being tested at the Expo. The centre was empty-- aside from staff. That was nice to see. Though I hope that is not due to people scared of being tested. When we arrived, the parking lot was full. We assumed the place would be busy.
I doubt there are many that are afraid of being tested, and certainly not anymore than before. I think there are just less and less symptomatic people out there.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I could also add in the extra lives lost in the Floyd riots and the idiots at the Capital Building.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AM

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
I doubt there are many that are afraid of being tested, and certainly not anymore than before. I think there are just less and less symptomatic people out there.
We received the results around 130 in the morning. That was surprisingly quick. The reason I think some may be cautious to get tested is the thought of missing work for two weeks. Either way, it was nice to see how quiet the place was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad