OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Some strange and unsettling things creeping up amidst attitudes in coronavirus. I spotted this with the vitriol about the kid skating in the park not wanting to get off the ice.

Now I'm seeing it with the public shaming of the two people that surreptitiously sought vaccine from the Yukon.

Now I'm not defending these people. I would view such actions as cowardly, self important, self serving, and part of the me first avarice that has been ingrained in our society since the elitist me self indulgent 80's.

The reason I'm commenting is the Yukon News decision, and the fire bombing of this around twitter, social media, this going viral, its classic social shame, and as we've seen in past instances the consequence can be death, assault, etc. It can be losing livelihood, jobs etc. The reason identity is outed is for no specific purpose as anger, revenge, and punitive social shame. Whatever the consequences of that may be.

So interestingly in present day we are unabashedly accepting social shaming as a form of punishment, of social media trial, jury, and execution of reputation in one action vitriolic response. Viral damnation. No need for hell.

There are a lot of murderers, criminals embezzlers, lethal drug dealers, rapists that don't see this kind and degree of published vitriol. Presently in society we are reserving our worst anger around those that are involved in Covid 19 in some way. There are dealers of opioids on the streets that have killed people. We reserve none of our vitriol for those kind of pond scum that kill people. That kill even their friends and acquaintances dealing fentanyl, carfentanil. I've rarely seen a drug dealer shamed. I'm aware of drug dealers that are connected to the deaths of 100 people. yet exhume those Facebook accounts and those are the popular people, the dealers of death, with hundreds of friends on facebook and the biggest parties.

We're a strange society that has lost our way. Theres no rules, priorities, or even establishing who the real enemies are. 2 people that cheated a hit of vaccine are the worst criminals in this nations today, if one looks at the rabid social media accounts. Its insane how this disproportionately gets blown up.
I agree with all of this. I really don’t like social shaming and think it’s bad for a society. Its become a trend and many people are quick to do it these days.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Thanks for the response. My reply wasn't just specific to any posts here, even though I replied to your one comment that you edited. But that our public scorn never or rarely lands on correct targets. Whoever they may be.

The irony perhaps being that this weeks focus will be dealing with these two, and the MSM and social media will be milking it until they find somebody else to hang. But those people invariably are never organized crime, organized drug dealing, etc. It will almost certainly not focus or zero in on why the globe actually has coronavirus. On that front it will be tame, avoid offending, and avoid any accountability you speak of, while millions have dies and 100million or more have been severely ill and their health impacted. These 2, in effect, provide a media scapegoat to aid their avoidance of reporting on the criminal behaviors that caused a global pandemic and economic catastrophe. can't focus on that...

We're hardly even allowed to zero in on that and talk about it here.

Try googling one carfentanil or carfentanil dealer that has been social shamed and punished. These people are responsible for epidemic carnage, they kill people, they don't increase their risk, they kill, and its hard to find focus ever landing on such criminal behavior.

I could argue real accountability is never really at hand because twitter and like factions are so busy telling us what trumped up accountability is. We're being constantly lied to. Thats my take.

Social media condemnation is not a start. Its random, focused on anything, and seldom the real perils that confront us. Due to social media manufactured reality we've never lived in more dangerous times with zero accountability. For instance of a global pandemic, and there will be none.

sad times
I’m not going to argue with anything you say here, I agree with all of it.

What I will say in regards to these two is that after watching the Edmonton Eskimos dragged through the mud because their name supposedly was damaging the Inuit people, I’m curious to see what the punishment is, online and real world for actually causing real harm to them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree with all of this. I really don’t like social shaming and think it’s bad for a society. Its become a trend and many people are quick to do it these days.
Some of these people deserve to be socially shamed. We have far too many people doing things that think is okay and it's harming others.

There was that family from Lamont that were mad and went to the news because people were being mean to them. Yet once the story really broke it came out that they knowingly were going out after testing positive for covid.

This isn't March or April of last year where we didn't really know what was going on. If you are stupid enough to break rules then deal with the consequences.

Unless you literally just came out of a coma I see no reason why this people shouldn't be shamed.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some of these people deserve to be socially shamed. We have far too many people doing things that think is okay and it's harming others.

There was that family from Lamont that were mad and went to the news because people were being mean to them. Yet once the story really broke it came out that they knowingly were going out after testing positive for covid.

This isn't March or April of last year where we didn't really know what was going on. If you are stupid enough to break rules then deal with the consequences.

Unless you literally just came out of a coma I see no reason why this people shouldn't be shamed.

So you accept social shaming then? Which is odd, because the concept of shaming is not enlightened, its punitive, knows no mercy and is connected with a general punitive concept and world view. Its not natural for western society to invoke shame, we've just adopted that since social media, viral targeting etc.

The concept of shaming, like stoning, is barbaric and historically its the same societies that practice stoning, repressive edicts, that practice shunning and shaming. Being that shaming often leads to death or ruining lives it really could be argued to be one and the same.

In anycase its devolution of our society, of our grace, of concepts of forgiveness, to openly accept barbaric standards.

I'm quoting this because we've forgotten our way in western society and that we should be fighting such barbaric shaming concepts.

Do you believe in forgiveness? Do you believe in second chances?
Of course you do. Everybody makes mistakes. To err is human, to forgive divine. Right?
Not in the age of social media.

I should also point out that social media utilizes shaming as its weapon to cancel culture to cancel people, to cancel diverse expression of opinion. People need to give deeper reflection to how some of these themes are intimately connected. Accept one, you accept all the devolution. Classic slippery slope.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So you accept social shaming them. Which is odd, because the concept of shaming is not enlightened, its punitive, knows no mercy and is connected with a general punitive concept and world view. Its not natural for western society to invoke shame, we've just adopted that since social media, viral targeting etc. The concept of shaming, like stoning, is barbaric and historically its the same societies that practice stoning, repressive edicts, that practice shunning and shaming. Being that shaming sometimes leads to death or ruining lives it really could be argued to be one and the same.

In anycase its devolution of our society, of our grace, of concepts of forgiveness.

I'm quoting this because we've forgotten our way in western society and that we should be fighting such barbaric shaming concepts.

Do you believe in forgiveness? Do you believe in second chances?
Of course you do. Everybody makes mistakes. To err is human, to forgive divine. Right?
Not in the age of social media.
When it comes to Covid and lives, no I don't. Especially as of late, there is enough information out there right now to not be making these stupid decisions. A lot of people have given up their freedoms to try keep this under control. Kind of getting sick of people not getting the message to follow the rules. I eventually wouldn't mind going for a beer or go out for a bite to eat in a restaurant.

There are people dying of covid, killing themselves, getting addicted to drugs/alcohol, and then you have people trying to manipulate their way to the top.

You keep giving people little slaps on the wrist and all you are going to end up with is more and more people not taking things seriously.

It's not like these people didn't know what they were doing was wrong.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When it comes to Covid and lives, no I don't. Especially as of late, there is enough information out there right now to not be making these stupid decisions. A lot of people have given up their freedoms to try keep this under control. Kind of getting sick of people not getting the message to follow the rules. I eventually wouldn't mind going for a beer or go out for a bite to eat in a restaurant.

There are people dying of covid, killing themselves, getting addicted to drugs/alcohol, and then you have people trying to manipulate their way to the top.

You keep giving people little slaps on the wrist and all you are going to end up with is more and more people not taking things seriously.

It's not like these people didn't know what they were doing was wrong.

Well, you didn't read my comments, thats fine. but understand that if you accept social shaming you accept cancel culture. You accept random punishing. Its one and the same and one is an ingredient of the other. The interesting thing is from past discussion you don't agree with cancel culture any more than I do. You just aren't seeing the devolution and connection.

Should people be charged for contravening current law. Sure. Should they be sentenced, sure. Should they have trial (aha) sure. There is no trial on social media, only conviction.

Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well, you didn't read my comments, thats fine. but understand that if you accept social shaming you accept cancel culture. You accept random punishing. Its one and the same and one is an ingredient of the other. The interesting thing is from past discussion you don't agree with cancel culture any more than I do. You just aren't seeing the devolution and connection.

Should people be charged for contravening current law. Sure. Should they be sentenced, sure. Should they have trial (aha) sure. There is no trial on social media, only conviction.
This is by no means random.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is by no means random.

The displaced vitriol is. The formative process of social media, through decades of familiarity, tells you what to be enraged about. I prefer to be enraged about the entities that caused this global pandemic, vs a couple people without morals skipping a vaccine line. I prefer to be enraged at drug dealers that pedal opioids that kill people.

I mean we wouldn't even need vaccine if there was no global pandemic spammed by criminal means. That strangely go untried, unsentenced.

We've forgotten our way, whats important. Not saying this just to you, but to the thread.

Social media every day wants us to be consumed with the random and insignificant, so that we don't see bigger pictures. For instance who controls the world now.

You could reconsider your support of online social shaming and shunning which is one of the leading factors leading to suicide.

Anyway;

The shame of public shaming (theconversation.com)

Public shaming, social media, ruined lives (cnn.com)

Online shaming: the return of mob morality | CBC News

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Some strange and unsettling things creeping up amidst attitudes in coronavirus. I spotted this with the vitriol about the kid skating in the park not wanting to get off the ice.

Now I'm seeing it with the public shaming of the two people that surreptitiously sought vaccine from the Yukon.

Now I'm not defending these people. I would view such actions as cowardly, self important, self serving, and part of the me first avarice that has been ingrained in our society since the elitist me self indulgent 80's.

The reason I'm commenting is the Yukon News decision, and the fire bombing of this around twitter, social media, this going viral, its classic social shame, and as we've seen in past instances the consequence can be death, assault, etc. It can be losing livelihood, jobs etc. The reason identity is outed is for no specific purpose as anger, revenge, and punitive social shame. Whatever the consequences of that may be.

So interestingly in present day we are unabashedly accepting social shaming as a form of punishment, of social media trial, jury, and execution of reputation in one action vitriolic response. Viral damnation. No need for hell.

There are a lot of murderers, criminals embezzlers, lethal drug dealers, rapists that don't see this kind and degree of published vitriol. Presently in society we are reserving our worst anger around those that are involved in Covid 19 in some way. There are dealers of opioids on the streets that have killed people. We reserve none of our vitriol for those kind of pond scum that kill people. That kill even their friends and acquaintances dealing fentanyl, carfentanil. I've rarely seen a drug dealer shamed. I'm aware of drug dealers that are connected to the deaths of 100 people. yet exhume those Facebook accounts and those are the popular people, the dealers of death, with hundreds of friends on facebook and the biggest parties.

We're a strange society that has lost our way. Theres no rules, priorities, or even establishing who the real enemies are. 2 people that cheated a hit of vaccine are the worst criminals in this nations today, if one looks at the rabid social media accounts. Its insane how this disproportionately gets blown up.

There are really only two possible reactions to this on social media. Support or outrage. I don't post on it and try to avoid the comments on it, as it's usually nothing but a cesspool. But really have no issue for the backlash these two are getting. Don't want to be in the spotlight, don't deliberately do stupid things.

Reactions: Stoneman89

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There are really only two possible reactions to this on social media. Support or outrage. I don't post on it and try to avoid the comments on it, as it's usually nothing but a cesspool. But really have no issue for the backlash these two are getting. Don't want to be in the spotlight, don't deliberately do stupid things.

Part of my thoughts. I disagree completely with the cancel culture, and how people will forever hold someone to account even if they've changed their ways within the social media environment.

In this case, these actions were that of someone who knew they faced no real legal consequences and judging by their past social presences knew what they were doing was wrong. As such, they need to feel some heat at least for a while. If they use this experience to become better people than people should move on and forgive.

Unfortunately, almost no one does anymore or even worse they'll stone you for actions you did in a time when such actions weren't even considered improper because the social norms have moved. It's a vicious environment that's unfortunately still in its infancy really for finding ways to balance penalizing bad behaviors vs. forgiving such behaviors if there is true repentance and change.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LA might be a decent example.

The US in general is a global outlier in that it did so little to curtail the virus and represents 26% of the total positives in the world. The US being an example of what ineffective, loose, or compromised restrictions causes. I mean if the virus is in such a prevalent extent in any country or region, nothing stops it.

If the pandemic is curtailed, even somewhat, it seems that seasonal and climactic effects counter the spread of the virus.

In anycase all the latest fear mongering about the new variants and yet UK numbers new daily cases have been down for weeks, global cases have been down for weeks.

Canada numbers are profoundly down for weeks. Half of the daily cases nationwide that we were seeing weeks ago.

It still isn't proven how much more infectious the new strains are or what differences in how infection can occur.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update:

The emergence of more infectious variants of concern requires close attention. Unfortunately, over the weekend, we identified our first case of the B.1.1.7 variant that has no currently known link to travel. (1/8)

This is a concerning development that underlines the importance of expanding lab capacity to screen positive cases for genetic mutations of concern & ensuring we detect variants of concern if they are spreading in the province. (2/8)

Over the last 24hrs we have ID’d 362 new cases of COVID-19 & completed about 7.2K tests. Our positivity rate is about 5%. There are active alerts or outbreaks in 268 schools, or about 11% of schools in AB w/500 cases total. There are 637 ppl in hospital, incl 113 in ICU. (3/8)

Sadly, 25 new deaths were reported to us in the last 24 hrs. These Albertans were between the ages of 41 and 100. My deepest sympathies go to the family, friends & communities mourning the death of these individuals. They loved, were loved, and will be sorely missed. (4/8)

As we work to advise on the best path forward to prevent hospitalizations & deaths from COVID-19, we are closely monitoring for the UK & South African variants. If additional steps are required to prevent the spread of variants in Alberta, we will take action to do so. (5/8)

Thank you to the many Albertans who continue to follow public health orders. You are the majority & the reason we continue to see promising progress in our daily case numbers, positivity rate & r-value. Your sacrifices & selfless efforts are making a difference. (6/8)

Hospitalizations are still high. Until they come down, we need to continue w/ the measures in place. I know this isn’t easy – especially for those whose businesses & work have been impacted – but it’s necessary given the continued strain on our health care system. (7/8)

That strain has also come with its own hardship & consequences for the many Albertans waiting for scheduled procedures & surgeries. As soon as it’s safe to recommend the easing of any restrictions, we will do so. Until then, please continue to follow the measures in place. (8/8)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

The emergence of more infectious variants of concern requires close attention. Unfortunately, over the weekend, we identified our first case of the B.1.1.7 variant that has no currently known link to travel. (1/8)

This is a concerning development that underlines the importance of expanding lab capacity to screen positive cases for genetic mutations of concern & ensuring we detect variants of concern if they are spreading in the province. (2/8)

Over the last 24hrs we have ID’d 362 new cases of COVID-19 & completed about 7.2K tests. Our positivity rate is about 5%. There are active alerts or outbreaks in 268 schools, or about 11% of schools in AB w/500 cases total. There are 637 ppl in hospital, incl 113 in ICU. (3/8)

Sadly, 25 new deaths were reported to us in the last 24 hrs. These Albertans were between the ages of 41 and 100. My deepest sympathies go to the family, friends & communities mourning the death of these individuals. They loved, were loved, and will be sorely missed. (4/8)

As we work to advise on the best path forward to prevent hospitalizations & deaths from COVID-19, we are closely monitoring for the UK & South African variants. If additional steps are required to prevent the spread of variants in Alberta, we will take action to do so. (5/8)

Thank you to the many Albertans who continue to follow public health orders. You are the majority & the reason we continue to see promising progress in our daily case numbers, positivity rate & r-value. Your sacrifices & selfless efforts are making a difference. (6/8)

Hospitalizations are still high. Until they come down, we need to continue w/ the measures in place. I know this isn’t easy – especially for those whose businesses & work have been impacted – but it’s necessary given the continued strain on our health care system. (7/8)

That strain has also come with its own hardship & consequences for the many Albertans waiting for scheduled procedures & surgeries. As soon as it’s safe to recommend the easing of any restrictions, we will do so. Until then, please continue to follow the measures in place. (8/8)

The people I know are not listening anymore. They are visiting who they want. This government is slowly turning ghoulish when it comes to isolating individuals.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

How long are people going to keep listening to her spew the same platitudes. We just have to hunker down a little longer...oh, wait...vaccines are delayed....so just a little longer....oh, wait...now new variants pose a threat....let's keep hunkering down. Thank you for your continued sacrifices. We're all in this together until 2099....

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
How long are people going to keep listening to her spew the same platitudes. We just have to hunker down a little longer...oh, wait...vaccines are delayed....so just a little longer....oh, wait...now new variants pose a threat....let's keep hunkering down. Thank you for your continued sacrifices. We're all in this together until 2099....
At some point we might just have to pay the piper.

I’m willing to give it a few more months. We are so close to the vaccine that should really help. But man, it is starting to feel like “a few more months” forever.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its endless fear mongering.

Meanwhile in the UK, the dread new covid variant domain, with most of the cases being that overall daily cases are HALF of what they were just weaks ago.

The other story, and I've been suspecting this all along, is that simply relaxed Xmas restrictions resulted in the uptick of new cases for awhile, which have since entirely dissipated. UK went from a peak of 6oK cases/day to a more typical 30k cases per day. I mean thats the real world results and findings. that some punter on the internet is telling you while MSM are fixated on getting hits.

Heres a graph a few days old. Note cases in UK have fallen further since to 30K new cases yesterday. The peak ftr was Jan 7, so this is not a short term fall. Its 17 days in a row of falling cases, in the UK.

_116597368_uk_daily_cases_with_ra_20jan-nc.png

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At some point, and relatively soon, the government is going to need to throw out another bone or two. Maybe something like allowance to get together with families again, opening restaurants to 50 %, and increasing overall store capacity to 50 %. If it doesn't happen, then I can see the grip loosening. We've given up Christmas and New Years, and a lot of time before and after. The numbers have been going down steadily. This virus seems to be mimicking the regular flu virus, in that it starts it's trajectory end of September, peaks around Christmas and a few weeks after, and then slowly dissipates into the end of January and beyond. Going to be some tough decisions for Hinshaw and company.
What they need to do, IMO, is to give us a benchmark for numbers required for change, so that people have a clear idea as to where we need to go. Not sure that is the carrot that will help alleviate some uncertainty and strain, and but I think it would help.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Just in time to be destroyed in 2100 due to global warming. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad