OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I guess we'll see what happens, Pfizer announced today that they will be back on schedule within a week for EU doses. After that we're getting more and faster since they've increased capacity.

I don't know, I understand we're talking about life and death here and about protecting the most vulnerable. But it seems as if we're starting to disect each and every single move made to find out who to be upset with. I see the problems with what happened here, but of course I see the benefit of almost doubling the doses available this year for one of the few approved vaccines. At the same they said that they will have caught up by the end of March (i.e. fullfill the requested deleterie in total by Q1).
Pfizer is in default of their stated supply to Canada and several other nations. At a critical, critical juncture in the pandemic being at peak in Northern Hemisphere. In the winter flu season. Maybe they could have retooled production lines when they were awaiting approvals. Too cheap to take that risk?

They're making a killing, excuse pun.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I guess we'll see what happens, Pfizer announced today that they will be back on schedule within a week for EU doses. After that we're getting more and faster since they've increased capacity.

I don't know, I understand we're talking about life and death here and about protecting the most vulnerable. But it seems as if we're starting to disect each and every single move made to find out who to be upset with. I see the problems with what happened here, but of course I see the benefit of almost doubling the doses available this year for one of the few approved vaccines. At the same they said that they will have caught up by the end of March (i.e. fullfill the requested deleterie in total by Q1).
Too late for my mom. She complained to the LTC home on Thursday about headaches, and today is a confirmed positive. Seems to be doing okay for now, but as we've seen, the virus can sometimes take a few days to really lock in get serious. The next couple weeks are going to be pins and needles for her and our family. She had a consent form signed a couple weeks ago to get the vaccine, but nothing happened - not sure if they ran out or her place was too far down the list. Maybe they were too busy innoculating the prisons.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Too late for my mom. She complained to the LTC home on Thursday about headaches, and today is a confirmed positive. Seems to be doing okay for now, but as we've seen, the virus can sometimes take a few days to really lock in get serious. The next couple weeks are going to be pins and needles for her and our family. She had a consent form signed a couple weeks ago to get the vaccine, but nothing happened - not sure if they ran out or her place was too far down the list. Maybe they were too busy innoculating the prisons.

Man, so sorry to hear your mom has this. That she was on the list for vaccine, and that there were delays getting her vaccine. This is why its so crucial to get at risk people in at risk facilities vaccinated quickly as possible and Pfizer not busy counting their money and trying to steamroll twice the production capacity while stymying current capacity. The vulnerable, and the first priority vaccinations make up about 10% of the population, the goal should have been to get those done asap. Which can't be done if suppliers aren't supplying.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Best wishes for your mom’s quick recovery. Sorry your family has to go through this.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Best of wishes to your mom as well as to you and your family.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update.

There are 750 new cases with 12,234 active cases across Alberta. I’m sad to report an additional 19 deaths. My heart goes out to everyone missing a loved one. (1/3)

There are currently 738 people in hospital with 123 people in ICU. On Jan. 16, an additional 11,484 tests were completed giving a positivity rate of 6.5%. This brings the total number of completed tests to 3,020,251 since testing began. (2/3)

Winter in Alberta can be difficult. The days are short and the stress of COVID-19 makes this year even more challenging. Help is available including free virtual stress management workshops through AHS. Find out more at (3/3) (albertahealthservices.ca/amh/page16759.…)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

There are 750 new cases with 12,234 active cases across Alberta. I’m sad to report an additional 19 deaths. My heart goes out to everyone missing a loved one. (1/3)

There are currently 738 people in hospital with 123 people in ICU. On Jan. 16, an additional 11,484 tests were completed giving a positivity rate of 6.5%. This brings the total number of completed tests to 3,020,251 since testing began. (2/3)

Winter in Alberta can be difficult. The days are short and the stress of COVID-19 makes this year even more challenging. Help is available including free virtual stress management workshops through AHS. Find out more at (3/3) (albertahealthservices.ca/amh/page16759.…)
I would say we are well past the New Years potential, and are probably locked into a slow decline until the vaccines start to kick in, or springtime arrives.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It is a failure if it was sold at 74.
Sure. Frankly, Id be extremely hesitant myself in getting a Chinese developed vaccine right now given everything that has happened. But my point was about vaccine's in general. We have been very lucky that the efficacy has been so high.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Geez that's like 70% of the population if everyone was only going once. I wonder what the actual number is, because truthfully I know a lot more people that didn't get tested then did get tested.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Sure. Frankly, Id be extremely hesitant myself in getting a Chinese developed virus right now given everything that has happened. But my point was about vaccine's in general. We have been very lucky that the efficacy has been so high.
Yeah, I’d be hesitant to get one of those too. :eek:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Geez that's like 70% of the population if everyone was only going once. I wonder what the actual number is, because truthfully I know a lot more people that didn't get tested then did get tested.
1,715,000 Albertans have been tested. but the total tests is 3,020,000. Meaning there have been over 1,300,000 retests.

Hopefully most of those retests being people that work in medical or emergency or carehome type places. But the reality is there are some that go for a test if they so much as get a sore throat, others I've heard of that go for tests because they just went to a party and want the "peace of mind" to get a test to see whether they have Covid or not. I would think Peace of mind could be had by not going to the party.

Anyway so 39% of the population has been tested. Pretty high number anyway. higher than the vast majority of jurisdictions in the world.

Heres the deal. People are not required to get tested and at times are advised not to go for testing unless they feel significant symptoms that are atypical from what they've had before. So that the number of those that have sought testing is kind of ridiculously high compared to the confirmed case numbers, 116,800. I mean this is like only 6% of people getting tested that have this, and those are the ones supposedly reporting unique and severe symptoms. Many others are advised to stay home or just ride it out and only seek services if their conditions worsen.

One always wonders how many people have had this. In Alberta I would put that figure at probably around half a million have had Covid-19. Maybe even a Million. Lots of studies that indicated actual numbers in population are multiples higher than confirmed positives. I think a safe bet is that at least 1/10 Albertans have had Covid-19. Its significant too because of the people that are exposed chronically, either through work, occupation, living situations, or that just don't follow rules in anyway, what would that population of people be. Would there be a Million people in Alberta that are at risk for contracting this? I think the majority of Albertans, and this is indicated in polls, routinely practice the safeguards, distancing, isolation that would make them less likely to Contract. What this could mean is that a type of population immunity is reached far before herd immunity, providign that a significant part of the pop continues to follow all guidelines.

We've also immunized 86k Albertans already (albeit one dose) I wonder how long before we see Covid having more difficulty propagating in this population.

Reactions: nabob

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Sure. Frankly, Id be extremely hesitant myself in getting a Chinese developed vaccine right now given everything that has happened. But my point was about vaccine's in general. We have been very lucky that the efficacy has been so high.
Yes, kinda funny that.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
1,715,000 Albertans have been tested. but the total tests is 3,020,000. Meaning there have been over 1,300,000 retests.

Hopefully most of those retests being people that work in medical or emergency or carehome type places. But the reality is there are some that go for a test if they so much as get a sore throat, others I've heard of that go for tests because they just went to a party and want the "peace of mind" to get a test to see whether they have Covid or not. I would think Peace of mind could be had by not going to the party.

Anyway so 39% of the population has been tested. Pretty high number anyway. higher than the vast majority of jurisdictions in the world.

Heres the deal. People are not required to get tested and at times are advised not to go for testing unless they feel significant symptoms that are atypical from what they've had before. So that the number of those that have sought testing is kind of ridiculously high compared to the confirmed case numbers, 116,800. I mean this is like only 6% of people getting tested that have this, and those are the ones supposedly reporting unique and severe symptoms. Many others are advised to stay home or just ride it out and only seek services if their conditions worsen.

One always wonders how many people have had this. In Alberta I would put that figure at probably around half a million have had Covid-19. Maybe even a Million. Lots of studies that indicated actual numbers in population are multiples higher than confirmed positives. I think a safe bet is that at least 1/10 Albertans have had Covid-19. Its significant too because of the people that are exposed chronically, either through work, occupation, living situations, or that just don't follow rules in anyway, what would that population of people be. Would there be a Million people in Alberta that are at risk for contracting this? I think the majority of Albertans, and this is indicated in polls, routinely practice the safeguards, distancing, isolation that would make them less likely to Contract. What this could mean is that a type of population immunity is reached far before herd immunity, providign that a significant part of the pop continues to follow all guidelines.

We've also immunized 86k Albertans already (albeit one dose) I wonder how long before we see Covid having more difficulty propagating in this population.
The wife has been tested three times. And once for anti-bodies.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
My parents went down to Florida just after Christmas, they got on a list and are getting their first shot on Friday. So, seems being a snowbird is better than waiting it out here. They're in their late 60's so doubt they'd get it anytime soon in Canada. Also I win a $50 bet I made with a friend that they'd get it by Feb.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Alberta will be out of vaccine by the end of the day. All first dose appts cancelled, so that those needing second doses can get their shot in a timely manner. Sounds like Europe is not getting cutback to the extent that Canada is as far as the Pfizer vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad