OT: Coronavirus XXXV: Y'all Got Any More of Them Vaccines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Is there a point to your post. The only thing to get is its another reason why you shouldn't want to contract covid. Any sensible person capable of reading probably already knew that.

Holy hit a sensitive spot hey.

That’s exactly the point of the article... I don’t understand what your beef with the whole thing is.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Holy hit a sensitive spot hey.

That’s exactly the point of the article... I don’t understand what your beef with the whole thing is.

Well you missed my point. The article is just designed to be fear based incentive. Its another in a series of end of the world kind of messages and "People will never be the same" "will have impaired lungs for life" "can't ever breathe" yada yada.

I get it. You read something like that and you take it all as fact as if its quality information. Its some Dr yabbering on about results she doesn't know, because nobody knows. But her assumption is that the results are permanent, irreversible, etc.

its not the article itself, its the constant notion that people are motivated properly by fear. yet those messages are extremely harmful and have motivated even more people to kill themselves, numb themselves with ever more harmful drugs and overdose.

There is a lot of corrolary harm that comes from articles like this, and sensationalism like this, which arguable creates more harm than benefit.

Sorry for getting testy. Like everybody else the pandemic drains on us, all of us.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its alarmist as well. They give no indications of how long after covid the xrays or analysis is taken, they have no longitudinal idea how long the scarring lasts, and this;

"When someone recovers from pneumonia, whether it's a bacterial pneumonia or a viral pneumonia, it's going to take some time for their chest X-rays to improve. Chest X-rays lag your clinical improvement. So you may be better, but your chest X-ray still looks bad," he said. "And we know that people with COVID-19 can get severe pneumonia, and some of that pneumonia will lead to damage to the lungs that will take time to heal. And some of it may be permanent."

They haven't even described how covid lungs are any different.

As is so often the case now this is a media spin article based on the comments of one Doctor. Who gives no substantiation of her comments.

I've had pneumonia at least twice in my life, never fun, and yes it does take time to get completely back. Even 6mths later with hard cardio you feel like you're hacking a lung once in awhile, but it does get better.

I suspect this does too, and theres no indication, and nobody knows that it doesn't.

Also "Worst Smokers lungs" have COPD, and have worse trouble breathing always, and which remains. Kind of a silly article.

Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Pleurisy, all bad, but lungs amazingly can heal through time. The article gives no information on how bad Covid scarring is relative to those.
A lot of professional athletes have had covid and are playing now.....

Reactions: nabob

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
Australian health minister, Greg Hunt (NSW):

At the 0:33 mark, he says:

"We must treat, erm, this new world order--new world of covid..."

Finally! An honest politician.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
beauty quote :

wtf more does he want to do? have 38 million people on house arrest? what a goof
Go down to your basement. Stay there. Come back up after 6 weeks. If you hear of anyone that has COVID, go back down for another 6 weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: AM

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A lot of professional athletes have had covid and are playing now.....

Yep. i could fine hundred citations of people playing sports, Running, cycling, doing the triathlon after having covid. It was another buzz silly article where they interviewed one person and tried to stew some kind of fact from that. Media being lazy, and disingenuous.

But they must all have hypoxia while running the marathon....

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Well you missed my point. The article is just designed to be fear based incentive. Its another in a series of end of the world kind of messages and "People will never be the same" "will have impaired lungs for life" "can't ever breathe" yada yada.

I get it. You read something like that and you take it all as fact as if its quality information. Its some Dr yabbering on about results she doesn't know, because nobody knows. But her assumption is that the results are permanent, irreversible, etc.

its not the article itself, its the constant notion that people are motivated properly by fear. yet those messages are extremely harmful and have motivated even more people to kill themselves, numb themselves with ever more harmful drugs and overdose.

There is a lot of corrolary harm that comes from articles like this, and sensationalism like this, which arguable creates more harm than benefit.

Sorry for getting testy. Like everybody else the pandemic drains on us, all of us.

I agree. Tam really seems to love the fear mongering. "New strain spreading..." "models predict exponential increase" "COVID will be with us forever" "vaccines delayed" "no end in sight." The combination of her and CBC really like to pour on the fear.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Not sure if the results she has are a good indicator of the everyone who gets covid but if it is it can be scary. People don't realize all that damage can lead to clots that can become dislodged a long way down the road and give you a stroke. Or that that kind of severe wide spread tissue damage can lead to premature disease like lung cancer at a much earlier age. Nothing to be dismissed. Long term effects cannot be overlooked as a potentially very significant issue for a fair portion of population who contract it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree. Tam really seems to love the fear mongering. "New strain spreading..." "models predict exponential increase" "COVID will be with us forever" "vaccines delayed" "no end in sight." The combination of her and CBC really like to pour on the fear.
because most people aren't scared anymore
when the public is seeing most sports leagues are back, watch politicians flying off to warm climates and vaccines being distributed, people tend to change their mindset

Covid fatigue is real

Reactions: nabob and TB12

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Yay, i can finally go get a McDavid tattoo.
No more DIY tattoos

This DIY type? :laugh:

71D1NNKA%2BQL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

I don’t see anyone in the article saying that COVID is going to for sure cause permanent damage.

"You'll either see a lot of that white, dense scarring or you'll see it throughout the entire lung. Even if you're not feeling problems now, the fact that that's on your chest X-ray — it sure is indicative of you possibly having problems later on," she said

Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease expert and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, told CBSNthat some patients with severe COVID-19 could feel the impact for years to come.

He said the potential long-term health consequences are another reason people should take warnings about the disease seriously.

I don’t get the vibe that this is fear mongering. What was said in the article wasn’t untrue at all honestly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

MEDIA=twitter]1350210499971960832[/MEDIA]

Good news! We have vaccines that work and our PM has promised us we will basically have so many of them, the provinces will have difficulty distributing all of them. Like a river overflowing!

Oops. Bad news. We are going to consistently run out in the next couple months, sorry about that. Please be a dear, and don't get sick and die in the meantime, okay?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Good that the hospitaliztions and ICU dropped again. Maybe some of them just flat out died and the drop in numbers came from that.
Still, way too many daily cases and way too many existing cases. Not Ontario/Quebec style numbers, but we expect better in this province!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t see anyone in the article saying that COVID is going to for sure cause permanent damage.

"You'll either see a lot of that white, dense scarring or you'll see it throughout the entire lung. Even if you're not feeling problems now, the fact that that's on your chest X-ray — it sure is indicative of you possibly having problems later on," she said

Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease expert and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, told CBSNthat some patients with severe COVID-19 could feel the impact for years to come.

He said the potential long-term health consequences are another reason people should take warnings about the disease seriously.

I don’t get the vibe that this is fear mongering. What was said in the article wasn’t untrue at all honestly.

Then I encourage you to actually read the article;

Post-COVID lungs worse than the worst smokers' lungs, surgeon says - CBS News

I don't even have to get beyond the title to spot the first inaccuracy. There are tons of people that smoke that literally cannot breathe on their own anymore their lungs hardly work, and have advanced COPD. I mean I encourage you to think about this. The title says post covid. That means people recovered, unless they are talking autopsies. So in short people that have survived covid would have better lungs than somebody stuck to an oxygen machine for the rest of their life because of chronic smoking.

Then this. Its completely laughable.

"Post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smoker's lung we've ever seen. And they collapse. And they clot off. And the shortness of breath lingers on... & on... & on."

Repeating the same bogus claim, more words.

Next inaccuracy is the chart of lung Xrays. Suffice to say I guarantee you can find "smokers lungs" that look MUCH MUCH worse than that. They literally picked somebodies X ray that said yes to being a smoker, and threw that up there. CERTAINLY not the worst smokers lungs they've ever seen. I've taken people to hospital that were smokers that had far worse Xrays than that.

But starting with the title the article is bogus, its classic bait switch fear mongering. What is contained in the article doesn't even substantiate the title. The only even attempt at substantiating is the contrived X rays.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
They seriously went "all in" with Chinese vaccines? Wtf? That is mind boggling. I mean if their PPE was crap, what could go wrong with a mass produced vaccine without the same protocols that the rest of the world has to follow?
Remember when Xi said his vaccine was going to be rolled out first and given to everyone in the world free of charge as PRC ‘contribution’ to fighting the pandemic they caused? I think Trudeau was the only one stupid enough to say to himself, ‘hey, that sounds like a great offer I should probably look into’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad