OT: Coronavirus XXXIV: As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Feds feeling the pressure again, offering suppliers more money for more vaccines sooner. Maybe going to trigger a bidding war to try to get more vaccines quicker. Or maybe just taking part in already existing bidding war.

Ottawa offers premiums to drug makers that can deliver more COVID-19 vaccine doses sooner

The federal government says it is offering to pay higher prices to pharmaceutical companies in exchange for a larger and faster supply of COVID-19 vaccines but isn’t revealing what Canada agreed to spend in these private negotiations.

Public Services and Procurement Minister Anita Anand said Friday that price is a factor in her near daily discussions with international drug makers to ramp up the pace of deliveries.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Feds feeling the pressure again, offering suppliers more money for more vaccines sooner. Maybe going to trigger a bidding war to try to get more vaccines quicker. Or maybe just taking part in already existing bidding war.

Ottawa offers premiums to drug makers that can deliver more COVID-19 vaccine doses sooner

In the spirit of promised transparency and doing govt the right way they won't even tell us how much they are thinking about paying for all this but we already know the answer. They will pay any figure asked, expenditure means nothing to this govt. Too bad they bet on China Vaccine providers earlier.

More people in Florida have been vaccinated now than in all of Canada. Any normal Canadian has a better chance getting quick vaccination in Florida, or several US states, than they do here. Deplorable state of affairs, pun intended.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update:

Over the last 24 hrs we have identified 989 new cases & completed 13,540 tests, giving a positivity rate of 7.1%. (1/3)

There are currently 827 people in hospital, including 132 in intensive care. Sadly, I must also report 31 new deaths. My thoughts and condolences go to everyone mourning a loved one today. (2/3)

We have seen encouraging signs but the spread is still high. Let’s keep the momentum going by continuing to follow the current measures in place, as well as all other public health guidance. (3/3)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

There are signs that this may be a reaction to an on going bidding war.

Pizza-sized boxes and paying a premium: Inside Israel's COVID-19 vaccine rollout | CTV News

At some point that may be a big probelm in a world wide pandemic.

Reactions: oobga

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update:

Over the last 24 hrs we have identified 989 new cases & completed 13,540 tests, giving a positivity rate of 7.1%. (1/3)

There are currently 827 people in hospital, including 132 in intensive care. Sadly, I must also report 31 new deaths. My thoughts and condolences go to everyone mourning a loved one today. (2/3)

We have seen encouraging signs but the spread is still high. Let’s keep the momentum going by continuing to follow the current measures in place, as well as all other public health guidance. (3/3)

What with Xmas and holiday season just passed I think even holding numbers around 1K new cases a day and 7% positivity is a plus. Activity typically really subsides in Jan/Feb so will be easier for people to not be mingling, going out etc as much. put a cold snap on that and I bet we see some more cocooning. Albeit in large families that causes spread as well. But I take it as a postive there hasn't been another uptick in numbers. This is good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I figure they're doing the prisoners first based on the dynamics of the health care system in those buildings and the inhabitants. Less availability for mobility and health care resources? They also have the prison employees to consider in this situation as well. Not saying I specifically agree with it, but I can kinda see some of the reasoning for it.
A lot of provinces, including ours, are vaccinating front line and LTC workers first before the the people they are charged with caring for, logic being, they are likely the introduction of the virus to the institution. Clean them up and the rest will take care of itself, or at the very least, it will have a massive impact. This should apply to prison employees as well. Then, after those vaccinations are complete, we have to decide between the people at infested LTC facilities, crowded manufacturing plants, packed multi-family apartment complexes with low-income, immigrant families that have been ravaged. OR, an outbreak amoungst murderers, rapists and drug dealers. Apparently some people out there, including a few on here, would choose door # 2. We even have someone on here comparing the worth of a criminal to senior citizens and children. This place amazes me sometimes.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not to open a can of worms.....;):naughty:

Maybe they're using the inmates as Guinea Pigs to make sure there are no unknown side effects. Might sound far fetched but......wouldn't want to barge into somebody else's theory if it's out there.

I've had a toke and a couple of Rum's. Be easy. :rolleyes:
If that was indeed a plan, they should have started with the politicians.:D

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What with Xmas and holiday season just passed I think even holding numbers around 1K new cases a day and 7% positivity is a plus. Activity typically really subsides in Jan/Feb so will be easier for people to not be mingling, going out etc as much. put a cold snap on that and I bet we see some more cocooning. Albeit in large families that causes spread as well. But I take it as a positive there hasn't been another uptick in numbers. This is good.

Considering we're two weeks removed from Christmas, we're doing exceptionally well. I figured we'd storm back to the 2000 cases a day right around now. Hopefully the numbers stay "low" like this for another week then we'll be two weeks clear of New Years and as you alluded to, should hopefully see new cases drop.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Considering we're two weeks removed from Christmas, we're doing exceptionally well. I figured we'd storm back to the 2000 cases a day right around now. Hopefully the numbers stay "low" like this for another week then we'll be two weeks clear of New Years and as you alluded to, should hopefully see new cases drop.
We have bent back our curve nicely in Alberta. Better then Eastern Canada. Sadly our hospitals are going to be in tough shape for quite awhile, and January will likely be our deadliest month.

I really hope sending kids back to school doesnt stop our cases from trending down. I’m really for allowing kids to return to in school learning. I’d be ok with a curfew if it meant that kids could stay in school.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
We have bent back our curve nicely in Alberta. Better then Eastern Canada. Sadly our hospitals are going to be in tough shape for quite awhile, and January will likely be our deadliest month.

I really hope sending kids back to school doesnt stop our cases from trending down. I’m really for allowing kids to return to in school learning. I’d be ok with a curfew if it meant that kids could stay in school.

I think we'll always see cases pop up amongst the junior and senior high schools moreso than elementary because of the teenage dating where they can't keep their hands and lips off each other, or friends are constantly sharing clothes, lip chap, drinks, smokes, whatever.

In my opinion, elementary kids are still mostly in the "cooties" stage and at least where my kids go, really have it drilled into their heads not to share water bottles, pencils, clothes or anything else transferrable.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I sure hope that by this September people won't have to quarantine when they travel. My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland that month for a couple week. We sure need a holiday and if the vaccine is mandatory for travel to avoid isolation, I'll personally be fully willing to cooperate so long as it's proven to be effective.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I sure hope that by this September people won't have to quarantine when they travel. My wife and I are thinking about visiting Scotland that month for a couple week. We sure need a holiday and if the vaccine is mandatory for travel to avoid isolation, I'll personally be fully willing to cooperate so long as it's proven to be effective.
I have a feeling you'll be okay by September. My oldest daughter gets married that month too, and it sure would be nice to be able to share that day with more people than just us and his parents.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
We had to sign the consent form for my mom at her place, so hopefully she gets hers too. Hopefully it's not too late for both yours and mine.
She was on the cusp of giving up 3 months ago. But she has bounced back higher than her baseline a year ago. It was abit worrisome as the same thing happen d with my mother right before she died. Harriet seems to have stabilized. Still the cats doing better than her he turned 20 two weeks ago and hasn’t refused to eat just yet.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I hope so to. I’d say 60/40 chance you’re in the clear. Personally I’m expecting more red tape for all of 2021, but I’m not sure what that will mean for international travel.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Technically I was right on our bet that daily cases would slip under 1K some time by Xmas. Although I cheated. I knew testing would probably be down for those days around Xmas ;)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Technically I was right on our bet that daily cases would slip under 1K some time by Xmas. Although I cheated. I knew testing would probably be down for those days around Xmas ;)
Haha!! I remember. I’m not sure if you were 100% right on the timeline but you were definitely right on how we bent the curve so I concede.

So what happens next with our cases? Continue to go down or does school back in cause that to go up?

Glad to see Alberta doing better. I was really ticked off at all those people from my home town slamming the province back in October/November.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Haha!! I remember. I’m not sure if you were 100% right on the timeline but you were definitely right on how we bent the curve so I concede.

So what happens next with our cases? Continue to go down or does school back in cause that to go up?

Glad to see Alberta doing better. I was really ticked off at all those people from my home town slamming the province back in October/November.

This one is a much harder call now. Depends if the newer more virulent variant gets in here and takes over, depends on how long restrictions, go, if they will be extended past Jan 21, depends how much numbers fall currently.

I think at least in our most vulnerable populations getting the vaccine into care homes will help reduce our numbers. I think as well its possible that those that are either most susceptible, or most prone to not following covid restrictions have been infected by now. At some point intersection of increased vaccine in arms and increased activity and lifting of restrictions is going to be at a crossroads, could be a rocky ride till that happens.

I do think roll outs to general population should occur prior to September. But who knows on that front either. What happens if Covid numbers plummet in Northern Hemisphere in Spring? Would that mean there is less incentive to govt to pay high prices for quicker vaccine? Could also mean Southern Hemisphere countries might be harder hit and more vaccine goes there at that time.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Goalposts seem to be moving daily as far as when the majority of us will be eligible to get vaccinated. In Dec they were quite optimistic that we would be eligible by the start of summer. Then it was shifted to the beginning of fall. Now I’ve heard by the end of fall. Who knows if the Feds procurement deals will offer a sufficient supply. I think the province is set up well to inoculate, just need the supply.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Goalposts seem to be moving daily as far as when the majority of us will be eligible to get vaccinated. In Dec they were quite optimistic that we would be eligible by the start of summer. Then it was shifted to the beginning of fall. Now I’ve heard by the end of fall. Who knows if the Feds procurement deals will offer a sufficient supply. I think the province is set up well to inoculate, just need the supply.
As soon as the max jails get vaccinated, we will all be safe.:D

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Part of this could be uncertainty about other manufacturers. If J & J is highly effective that could change the dynamics quickly. It is a one shot vaccine that they expect 1B doses of this year and more in 2022. Canada is in line for 38M does which by itself would meet the countires needs. It is also a vaccine that could likley be distributed in a manner more similar to teh flu vaccine which means pharmacies and perhaps large dedicated vacination sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad