OT: Coronavirus XXXIV: As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
"Basically, we noticed that the majority of infections occurred in indoor settings."

"At the moment, the majority of public messages don’t really make sense."

"I think probably asymptomatic people – who basically showed no symptoms whatsoever – may not be contributing as much as someone who has become symptomatic or gets symptoms later on."

Some of the great highlights from the article below.

Deena Hinshaw is going to have to explain why she banned outdoor gatherings? Just nothing in the science to suggest that they're a major source of spread. In fact the research shows being outside is exactly where you want to be.

Ventilation and viral loads: the key misunderstandings of how coronavirus spreads

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
"Basically, we noticed that the majority of infections occurred in indoor settings."

"I think probably asymptomatic people – who basically showed no symptoms whatsoever – may not be contributing as much as someone who has become symptomatic or gets symptoms later on."

Deena Hinshaw is going to have to explain why she banned outdoor gatherings?
Just nothing in the science to suggest that they're a major source of spread. In fact the research shows being outside is exactly where you want to be.

Ventilation and viral loads: the key misunderstandings of how coronavirus spreads

I think you already know the answer. With colder weather, a 10 person outdoor gathering quickly turns into a 10 person indoor gathering as the evening goes along. They waited as long as they could to put that restriction in, but hospital numbers really left them no choice.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
EqVV9xdXAAI-eqZ

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Deena Hinshaw is going to have to explain why she banned outdoor gatherings? Just nothing in the science to suggest that they're a major source of spread. In fact the research shows being outside is exactly where you want to be.

This is why I was so against restricting the outdoor gatherings, and also the heavy handed dealing with that youth at the skating rink. Who now has 1200 in fines and several charges he is facing in his young life. That sucks.

Reactions: oilers'72

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think you already know the answer. With colder weather, a 10 person outdoor gathering quickly turns into a 10 person indoor gathering as the evening goes along. They waited as long as they could to put that restriction in, but hospital numbers really left them no choice.

I can get a tent, outdoors heaters, and porta potties to have a family get together with virtually 0% chances of spreading covid. They had no evidence based reason to cancel outdoor gatherings.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This is why I was so against restricting the outdoor gatherings, and also the heavy handed dealing with that youth at the skating rink. Who now has 1200 in fines and several charges he is facing in his young life. That sucks.

Did he start a go fund me? Needs to fight the charges, first it was handled horribly by the police officers on scene. Absolutely horrible display of policing, what were they going to do if the taser failed, shoot the guy? Also officers are supposed to tell him what he's being arrested for, which he asked several times and never got a reply. Second he needs to fight it because its in violation of the Charter is he can proved the restrictions were not reasonable. Given the research on outdoor spread he'll win. Also Nenshi and these municipalities better start reading the constitution, healthcare doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. Therefore they have no right to bring in a mask bylaws. @Yukon Joe can probably weigh in more on the legalities, but I know I'm very disappointed in that policing display. Like if two officers can't take down 1 guy on skates, what are they going to do when they meet a mean son of a bitch who wants to kill them?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The weather hasn't been cold anytime during this latest restriction. Its an assumption that people would gather after skating together in a rink. Nothing to say the same people don't just go back home, to their own homes. A stronger case could be made that those gathering in Malls, meeting up, might be more likely to go to somebodies home later.

The sensible thing, as I thought, was that restriction was relaxed after the Calgary debacle. Not officially, just that I think police forces and communities took notice, and backed off. The amount of times I've seen actual outdoor enforcement in Edmonton, anywhere, this whole week is zero. Haven't heard of any either. After the Calgary situation it became sort of a rule in the books only. I've seen 50 kids/people at the top of a tobboggan hill, no enforcement. I kind of had the sense they were going to just let it go after it backfired.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I can get a tent, outdoors heaters, and porta potties to have a family get together with virtually 0% chances of spreading covid. They had no evidence based reason to cancel outdoor gatherings.

The average person doesn't go to that effort though. They have people over for a few drinks sitting around the firepit, then they go inside to go to the bathroom, a few end up in the kitchen, and then a few more, until that's where the gathering is. Done it tons of times myself over the years, just the way it usually goes.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Something wrong there on the Edmonton Ro value and also the provincial total. How could an R value go way up like that for Edmonton, when it was down before Xmas, and the numbers are down now? Plus the numbers don't average up for the provincial R0 to be as low as 8.0

Read some of his previous twitter posts, he goes into the calculation process. Above my pay grade. ;)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The average person doesn't go to that effort though. They have people over for a few drinks sitting around the firepit, then they go inside to go to the bathroom, a few end up in the kitchen, and then a few more, until that's where the gathering is. Done it tons of times myself over the years, just the way it usually goes.

You can't take peoples rights away based on hypotheticals. They made the holidays more dangerous then they needed to be, because people were scared to meet outside due to tickets. Everyone now HAD to be inside to hide from sight. Making the average citizen a criminal isn't a good plan.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The weather hasn't been cold anytime during this latest restriction. Its an assumption that people would gather after skating together in a rink. Nothing to say the same people don't just go back home, to their own homes. A stronger case could be made that those gathering in Malls, meeting up, might be more likely to go to somebodies home later.

The sensible thing, as I thought, was that restriction was relaxed after the Calgary debacle. Not officially, just that I think police forces and communities took notice, and backed off. The amount of times I've seen actual outdoor enforcement in Edmonton, anywhere, this whole week is zero. Haven't heard of any either. After the Calgary situation it became sort of a rule in the books only. I've seen 50 kids/people at the top of a tobboggan hill, no enforcement. I kind of had the sense they were going to just let it go after it backfired.

Those weren't the outdoor activities I was talking about, it was the 'firepit' gatherings that often end up in the house. The outdoor skating, tobogganing ones have for the most part been allowed, as long as you use common sense. A few times people haven't used common sense, and the cops came, and common sense on both sides went out the window. Pretty easy to not have the cops come, just don't bring attention to yourself.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Those weren't the outdoor activities I was talking about, it was the 'firepit' gatherings that often end up in the house. The outdoor skating, tobogganing ones have for the most part been allowed, as long as you use common sense. A few times people haven't used common sense, and the cops came, and common sense on both sides went out the window. Pretty easy to not have the cops come, just don't bring attention to yourself.

Gonna disagree here and move on. It has nothing to do with how a group is behaving or bringing attention. It has everything to do with a neighbor in vicinity with a penchant for speed dialing complaints into authorities. The police in Calgary actually had to tell people to stop reporting to the Police using 911, that these were not emergent calls. Its a bunch of frenzied betties phoning in anytime they see a handful of people walking outside. ;)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

When did a 21 year old become "a youth"?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Someone is dreaming in technicolor. There were 85 million travellers in the US this week, New Years is fast approaching, Fauci has said we are heading into the worst period in January, hospitals and ICU's are filling up or full, and Fox News is actively saying to ignore the "Medical Cartel". Yup, the worst is ahead of us not behind us.

I will now put the thread on ignore as per usual as I get enough Covid in my life I don't want to see it in my hockey forum where I come to escape! :)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Did he start a go fund me? Needs to fight the charges, first it was handled horribly by the police officers on scene. Absolutely horrible display of policing, what were they going to do if the taser failed, shoot the guy? Also officers are supposed to tell him what he's being arrested for, which he asked several times and never got a reply. Second he needs to fight it because its in violation of the Charter is he can proved the restrictions were not reasonable. Given the research on outdoor spread he'll win. Also Nenshi and these municipalities better start reading the constitution, healthcare doesn't fall under their jurisdiction. Therefore they have no right to bring in a mask bylaws. @Yukon Joe can probably weigh in more on the legalities, but I know I'm very disappointed in that policing display. Like if two officers can't take down 1 guy on skates, what are they going to do when they meet a mean son of a bitch who wants to kill them?

I'm the last guy to defend cops, but when you're being ticketed and you refuse to give your name and provide ID, you're committing obstruction.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
what's stopping people from meeting at the mall? then next thing you they're inviting them all over for a fire
then next thing you know, you're all in the kitchen

Reactions: oilers'72 and Raab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad