OT: Coronavirus XXXIV: As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Part of this could be uncertainty about other manufacturers. If J & J is highly effective that could change the dynamics quickly. It is a one shot vaccine that they expect 1B doses of this year and more in 2022. Canada is in line for 38M does which by itself would meet the countires needs. It is also a vaccine that could likley be distributed in a manner more similar to teh flu vaccine which means pharmacies and perhaps large dedicated vacination sites.

Well that is true, and would be great if it happens, by comment was more how in less than a month, based on the existing vaccines, they’ve already pushed back the third tier vaccinations by months. Would prefer the ‘under promise, over deliver’ approach in regards to this. Unfortunately I’m at the point that I’m just assuming the govt will somehow screw this up.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just a small aside. Hasn't Canada always been a little more cautious when it comes to allowing certain medication and vaccines into the public? I mention this because I remember a number of chats with my Mom(RN) over the years about this topic. Some clarity would be nice if someone here could shed some light on that.

@Stoneman89 , congrats on your daughters upcoming marriage! Hopefully it all works out as expected.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A325FA04-2F3F-4F2C-AE7F-EA753C1CED28.jpeg

Is the Quebec number a typo or are they actually rocking an almost 30% positive test rate??

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary of today’s #COVID19AB update:

over the last 24 hours we have identified 811 new cases and completed 12,302 tests, giving a positivity rate of 6.4%. (1of4)

Currently, there are 794 hospitalizations, with 128 in intensive care. Sadly, 12 new deaths were reported over the last day. My thoughts are with everyone mourning a loved one right now. (2of4)

As of yesterday, 44,994 doses of vaccine have been administered across the province, giving a rate of 1,017.5 doses per 100,000 as we continue to ramp up immunization efforts. (3of4)

Please continue to follow current health measures in place: wear a mask in all indoor public settings and keep social gatherings to members of the same household. (4of4)

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The good news, new cases down to 811 today on over 12K tests. Low numbers and lower positivity.

More good news is we vaccinated 45K people in AB so far. The bad news is this is 1% of our population.

The funny news is CBC hasn't written a thing about Alberta Covid response since their bs "Alberta blew it" grandstanding.

You would think a national broadcaster would worry about alienating one of the most populated provincies in the Country. I guess not, being a crown corp doesn't look like they are ever worried. Time to make them swim on their own.

Certain Dr's have also shut their yap.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The good news, new cases down to 811 today on over 12K tests. Low numbers and lower positivity.

More good news is we vaccinated 45K people in AB so far. The bad news is this is 1% of our population.

The funny news is CBC hasn't written a thing about Alberta Covid response since their bs "Alberta blew it" grandstanding.

You would think a national broadcaster would worry about alienating one of the most populated provincies in the Country. I guess not, being a crown corp doesn't look like they are ever worried. Time to make them swim on their own.

They know who butters their bread.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well that is true, and would be great if it happens, by comment was more how in less than a month, based on the existing vaccines, they’ve already pushed back the third tier vaccinations by months. Would prefer the ‘under promise, over deliver’ approach in regards to this. Unfortunately I’m at the point that I’m just assuming the govt will somehow screw this up.
I agree. I have always wondered why experienced politicians do not use the under promise over deliver approach.

Reactions: oobga

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

All who want to be vaccinated should get it at the very latest by the end of September. *

*Tomorrows estimate may be different.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

It’s brutal man. Can’t help but to think it’s because the province is run by the opposing party. You think there would be a good new story or a what’s going right in Alberta article. To be fair, that might come in a week or two if the trend continues.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

All who want to be vaccinated should get it at the very latest by the end of September. *

Would of preferred if it was by the end of August so that we could breath a little easier going into the school year but I’m not complaining.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Would of preferred if it was by the end of August so that we could breath a little easier going into the school year but I’m not complaining.

If only 70% want to get vaccinated, then based on procurement projections, that should be very doable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Anand; "That allows us to hit 30M Canadians"

Small quibble here but could highly paid professionals in the top positions in their profession use any more appropriate wording. You're in a position where strength of written and verbal statements is expected. Use a better word. just saying.

Also she states this, a ridiculous comment that defies description;

"But by the same token, there are peer countries that haven't begun vaccinating at all — Australia for example," she said.

With not even a qualifying that of course Australia wouldn't be facing the same urgency as Canada, and hardly any urgency at all. Their bankable game, as an isolated Island Continent nation is just to continue to pour efforts at borders and quarantines. Which is working fine there. Perhaps Anand conversely could acknowledge the seriousness of rollout in Canada as a life and health saving measure.

Moreso, Feds should look at all procurment to fast track innoculation to all Canadians. If theres a quicker way to do that, do it. I would also wonder how much of the Phizer vaccine with its -80 storage requirement is being distributed adequately and used as prescribed ideally. The world has been using this vaccine for months and I still haven't seen developing information one way or the other on what the efficacy of the vaccine is without the extremely rigid protocol being followed to a T.

Plus with more virulent variants already here, I would think that reasonably every step to get Canadians vaccinated asap ought be considered. Finally multiple prospective vaccines are one shot effective, which I would think should be a preferred mode of delivery and with more efficacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Vaccine Queue Calculator for Canada

‘Based on your profile, you are in Stage 3 of the national guidelines for the COVID vaccine rollout. There are between 12,201,641 and 22,456,373 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across Canada.

Using these vaccination rates and an uptake of 70.3%, you should expect to receive your two doses of vaccine and be fully protected by between early July 2021 and early September 2021.‘

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s brutal man. Can’t help but to think it’s because the province is run by the opposing party. You think there would be a good new story or a what’s going right in Alberta article. To be fair, that might come in a week or two if the trend continues.

If there was a good news story they would turn it into crediting the opposition and the Dr's leaving Alberta.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Anand; "That allows us to hit 30M Canadians"

Small quibble here but could highly paid professionals in the top positions in their profession use any more appropriate wording. You're in a position where strength of written and verbal statements is expected. Use a better word. just saying.

Also she states this, a ridiculous comment that defies description;

"But by the same token, there are peer countries that haven't begun vaccinating at all — Australia for example," she said.

Good points. I didn't find it necessary to quote the whole thing...unless of course people aren't paying attention to what's going on. Most people here are.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, or “AHS slashes thousands of health care jobs during the pandemic.” That was a great headline that a ton of people didn’t fully understand.

Yep, and it was because of how it was reported, and without enough context of what those positions were, and how they could be alternately streamed at lower cost and greater efficacy for Albertans. Of course the Union shops hated it, but those positions dont require that pay, benefits, and reimbursements. Especially in this economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad