OT: Coronavirus XXVII: Two Vaccines Are 90%+ Effective, How Safe Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Private health care.. faster better service for $$$
Oh we have this new machine that can do X but is not covered ...
Fear sells and there is a lot to be made when health is involved.

I get that but your post sounded like Kenney would be making money.

“Kenny would get the green light light to start his private health care and make money.”

How is he making money?

Health care providers already make a ton of money off of private and non private portions of the system.

Reactions: oilers'72 and AM

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Where there's a will there's a way.

Bettman won't go down without a fight.
if there isn't a financial model to at least minimize loss, there is no season. There are a chunk of owners even today who just want the season ended so they can at least cut their biggest expense by far, the players. The current plans for a season all hinge on having travel, and fans in the stands.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
if there isn't a financial model to at least minimize loss, there is no season. There are a chunk of owners even today who just want the season ended so they can at least cut their biggest expense by far, the players. The current plans for a season all hinge on having travel, and fans in the stands.

Isn't there a risk of relocation for the Arizona Coyotes?

How does that franchise continue on?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Said I would do this so heres an interesting comparison to how Alberta is doing in Cases/million since pandemic compared to US states and Can provinces.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: How do Canada's provinces rank against American states? | CTV News

Not sure if it will link according to what I selected as setting but if you look at rates of cases, total, Alberta Ranks 51st. Quebec is only Canadian province to even be among top 50. Alberta has less cases/million than even Hawaii which should be shockign considering you could just be outside all day in Hawaii all year. Of US states only Maine and Vermont are better. So thats some huge perspective on where we are relatively.

Gonna try to dig some numbers on death rates. Alberta very low on this list relative to other reasonably populated states or provinces.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nope, to quote the article verbatim:

"According to the results, 28 per cent of Albertans are disregarding safety precautions altogether".

No ambiguity here. In the poll being referenced in the article, there is a second category that encompasses those doing what you suppose, wearing masks in public but not necessarily taking precautions in private settings. This 28% category is plain as day being categorized as taking no precautions whatsoever.

Either the writer of this article simply made things up, or more likely, the poll was purposely conducted in a way that would suss out a predetermined desired result.

The final blow to any credibility this article has occurrs when they feel the need to state that Liberal and NDP voters are more likely to follow precautions than Conservative voters. How is that relevant at all? You may as well say that people whose favorite colour is purple are more likely to comply than those who prefer yellow. The article is really just another poorly disguised political commentary that tosses out unrepresentative statistics in an attempt to sound more official.

This is Exhibit A for why trust in mainstream media is at an all time low. I mean can you honestly with a straight face tell me you believe that 28% of Albertans are refusing to wear a mask at the grocery store? The Calgary Herald seemingly thinks so. Like I said, if this is truly the case, Edmonton and area is apparently some bizzaro world with 99% mask compliance while the rest of the province totally ignores the mandates.

I’ve seen thousands of people in stores over the last couple months. Could count on one hand the number of people who made a fuss about masks. Those people did put on masks after being asked. I’ll trust my personal experience that covers all areas of the province for three months over an obviously flawed poll that’s for sure.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
They really are, and I'm not even kiddng, back in the day story, rod hockey to stiga table top games, jmo, are way more fun. heh, not what you meant, I know, but theres no game that has imo compared to the rod hockey games. Could play those for hours and lots of kids back then did.

NHL 94 and NHL 2002 do.

Both games are legendary.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

"According to the results, 28 per cent of Albertans are disregarding safety precautions altogether".

No ambiguity here. In the poll being referenced in the article, there is a second category that encompasses those doing what you suppose, wearing masks in public but not necessarily taking precautions in private settings. This 28% category is plain as day being categorized as taking no precautions whatsoever.

Either the writer of this article simply made things up, or more likely, the poll was purposely conducted in a way that would suss out a predetermined desired result.

The final blow to any credibility this article has occurrs when they feel the need to state that Liberal and NDP voters are more likely to follow precautions than Conservative voters. How is that relevant at all? You may as well say that people whose favorite colour is purple are more likely to comply than those who prefer yellow. The article is really just another poorly disguised political commentary that tosses out unrepresentative statistics in an attempt to sound more official.

This is Exhibit A for why trust in mainstream media is at an all time low. I mean can you honestly with a straight face tell me you believe that 28% of Albertans are refusing to wear a mask at the grocery store? The Calgary Herald seemingly thinks so. Like I said, if this is truly the case, Edmonton and area is apparently some bizzaro world with 99% mask compliance while the rest of the province totally ignores the mandates.

Solid analysis there Kyle. Broke it down real well. See I like that this is occurring more here. Analytically now its so necessary to filter through stuff just like you did.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Isn't there a risk of relocation for the Arizona Coyotes?

How does that franchise continue on?
I'd imagine there is a relocation risk to few teams. However, with Arizona what is interesting there is that they have already paid a ton of their salaries already by signing bonuses. I'm guessing they are a team that would like to the season to continue. But they could still relocate I guess.

It seems harsh, but think about how fast the Thrashers went to Winnipeg. If the ownership situation falls apart then all it takes is someone out there who really wants a team to step up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
NHL 94 and NHL 2002 do.

Both games are legendary.

Gonna sound like old person here and maybe because I never had the best in game player or controller or whatever but All the sports computer games to me are 2nd rank to either a good Stiga table or a Fooseball table. I love the tabletop games. Never had that much fun playing the computer versions of respective sports.

I have liked older games like Warcraft, Red Alert, Age of Empires etc. I'm more the strategy game type when it comes to computer games. Map type layout games.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Calgary is probably much worse than edmonton for this kind of thing, and I'm not being typically City Centric saying that. The I don't give a f*** quotient and doing ones own thing runs higher in Calgary. Calgary more US than Edmonton, alway has been. Big cowboy hats, big liberty down there.

Edmonton as far as compliance probably better than most of province. That isn't seen in the figures presently, but Calgary will pass us in active cases again.

Quite possible, but even allowing for a more cavalier attitude elsewhere, claiming 28% are ignoring protocols entirely is not believable. Unless Edmonton somehow has the most cases despite having much stronger compliance than everywhere else (in which case you'd have to question whether or not the precautions really make any difference at all).

maybe they should go to a mall, like West Ed, and talk to all the people there who aren't wearing masks
bet they'd find barely a handful

cause every time I'm there, I've yet to see a group of people not wearing masks

I'm in one or two of Superstore, Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or the liquor store (don't judge! Lol) almost daily, and in the last two months or so I've literally seen one guy walk into the store without a mask. And he quickly realized it and walked back out to his car. I'll trust my own eyeballs over some poll on this one.

Reactions: oilers'72

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Seen some crazy numbers for Canada today but they are now a week old.

Ill post them anyways.
As of Nov 15th
Canadian Cases 296 077 as of today 333808
Canadian Deaths 10 953 as of today 11502
Recovered Cases 235 401 as of today 280652
Active Cases 60 676 as of today 53 156
Long Term Care home Deaths 10 781 I dont have todays numbers

As of Nov 15th only 172 deaths outside of long term care homes.

I actually didnt realize how bad our long term homes are getting hit. Like I knew they were getting hit, but I guess im very surprised that there is less then 200 deaths outside of the homes.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

One guy I know, goes to the gym. He knows this other patron there who abides by the mask rule in common space in the gym etc. However once they get into the dressing room (where they're supposed to wear a mask still) the other patron does not. He goes on a rant about how this is all a hoax and masks are bs etc etc. So you see, that guy who wore a mask in visible areas where he would have been reprimanded or kicked out for not wearing a mask is still considered one of the 28% of cynical spreaders. Not hard to understand.

And since you brought it up, I do think there are generally more right wing people on average who flout the rules, worry more about freedoms etc. I dont think it's a stretch to think this.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Solid analysis there Kyle. Broke it down real well. See I like that this is occurring more here. Analytically now its so necessary to filter through stuff just like you did.

We get bombarded with so much information nowadays that most articles just get skimmed through by the reader, or in a lot of cases they just read the headline and keep scrolling. Can't say I'm not guilty of it myself, but if you're going to truly base your opinions and beliefs on certain written materials, you'd best take the time to read them thoughtfully. They don't all pass the smell test, that's for sure.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Calgary economist urges more COVID-19 restrictions to prevent further damage to Alberta economy

A University of Calgary economist is calling on the province to implement stricter COVID-19 measures to reduce the damage to Alberta’s economy in the long run.

“The question is do we want to do that earlier or later? If we wait until later, it’s going to have to be more restrictions and for longer; that is going to harm the economy even worse and it will harm those individual workers even more,” Hollis said.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Calgary economist urges more COVID-19 restrictions to prevent further damage to Alberta economy

A University of Calgary economist is calling on the province to implement stricter COVID-19 measures to reduce the damage to Alberta’s economy in the long run.

“The question is do we want to do that earlier or later? If we wait until later, it’s going to have to be more restrictions and for longer; that is going to harm the economy even worse and it will harm those individual workers even more,” Hollis said.

How about coming up with ways to protect the old people? Its a common cold to 99.995% of the rest of the population.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
One guy I know, goes to the gym. He knows this other patron there who abides by the mask rule in common space in the gym etc. However once they get into the dressing room (where they're supposed to wear a mask still) the other patron does not. He goes on a rant about how this is all a hoax and masks are bs etc etc. So you see, that guy who wore a mask in visible areas where he would have been reprimanded or kicked out for not wearing a mask is still considered one of the 28% of cynical spreaders. Not hard to understand.

And since you brought it up, I do think there are generally more right wing people on average who flout the rules, worry more about freedoms etc. I dont think it's a stretch to think this.

hahaha I love when you make up stories like these. I know a guy who plays hockey, he votes conservative...I know a guy who knows a guy who goes to the gym...

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
How about coming up with ways to protect the old people? Its a common cold to 99.995% of the rest of the population.

Ah yes, all those people with cognitive issues from the cold months later lol.

There's a clear difference in how this affects the elderly and the general population, but this constant need to call it a common cold is reductionist and a dishonest way to describe it.

Reactions: LaGu, PGW and nabob

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

And since you brought it up, I do think there are generally more right wing people on average who flout the rules. I dont think it's a stretch to think this.

So he DOES abide by the mask rule in certain settings. He DOES NOT "disregard precautions altogether". What exactly is your definition of "altogether"? This person would fall into the 35% of poll respondents who sometimes do/sometimes don't when it comes to compliance.

And no, I didn't bring up the relationship between voting trends and rules compliance. The article you posted did. And to what end? It's not like there are "conservative" or "liberal" grocery stores that one could either avoid or frequent in hopes of remaining healthy. Whether true or false, it's an entirely unnecessary piece of information within the context of the article. When unnecessary political information gets inserted, it starts to become clear what the true purpose of the article actually was.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The West’s Failure on Covid is Even More Staggering Than You Think

What the East had that the West didn’t wasn’t money, power, or resources. But something deeper. A set of values and ideas. Social cohesion, trust. Respect for vulnerability. A sense that each life matters, no matter how frail and defenseless. An ability to pull together in the moment of crisis. And the wisdom to look beyond the narrow Western idea that money is the point of life — versus life being the point of money.

The West, by contrast, seems mired in attitudes of individualism, selfishness, narcissism, carelessness, and ignorance so extreme they can only be described as toxic. Much of Sweden seems to have bought the idea of “herd immunity,” which any decent scientist — or even any decent biology student — will tell you is nonsense. But so has America — and when was the last time those two nations had anything in common?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Quite possible, but even allowing for a more cavalier attitude elsewhere, claiming 28% are ignoring protocols entirely is not believable. Unless Edmonton somehow has the most cases despite having much stronger compliance than everywhere else (in which case you'd have to question whether or not the precautions really make any difference at all).

I'm in one or two of Superstore, Home Depot, Lowe's, Canadian Tire, or the liquor store (don't judge! Lol) almost daily, and in the last two months or so I've literally seen one guy walk into the store without a mask. And he quickly realized it and walked back out to his car. I'll trust my own eyeballs over some poll on this one.

Shops like a mother..! ;)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
So he DOES abide by the mask rule in certain settings. He DOES NOT "disregard precautions altogether". What exactly is your definition of "altogether"? This person would fall into the 35% of poll respondents who sometimes do/sometimes don't when it comes to compliance.

And no, I didn't bring up the relationship between voting trends and rules compliance. The article you posted did. And to what end? It's not like there are "conservative" or "liberal" grocery stores that one could either avoid or frequent in hopes of remaining healthy. Whether true or false, it's an entirely unnecessary piece of information within the context of the article. When unnecessary political information gets inserted, it starts to become clear what the true purpose of the article actually was.

dude you're taking it way too literally and missing the point of the survey lol. no that guy definitely falls into the cynical spreaders category.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ah yes, all those people with cognitive issues from the cold months later lol.

There's a clear difference in how this affects the elderly and the general population, but this constant need to call it a common cold is reductionist and a dishonest way to describe it.

Havent heard of any cognitive issues yet.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
They really are, and I'm not even kiddng, back in the day story, rod hockey to stiga table top games, jmo, are way more fun. heh, not what you meant, I know, but theres no game that has imo compared to the rod hockey games. Could play those for hours and lots of kids back then did.

Loved the Bobby Hull version with the metal players hat you could bend the sticks to whatever curve you wanted. Next would be the Bobby Orr version, with the plastic players. Could make more plays with that version. Never liked Stiga. Euro version that was way too gimmicky.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Gonna sound like old person here and maybe because I never had the best in game player or controller or whatever but All the sports computer games to me are 2nd rank to either a good Stiga table or a Fooseball table. I love the tabletop games. Never had that much fun playing the computer versions of respective sports.

I have liked older games like Warcraft, Red Alert, Age of Empires etc. I'm more the strategy game type when it comes to computer games. Map type layout games.
Hundreds of hrs spent playing Civilization on my 386 with 40MB harddrive

Reactions: AM and nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad