OT: Coronavirus XXVII: Two Vaccines Are 90%+ Effective, How Safe Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If they are safe and can be distributed widely, we could be seeing the silver lining to this giant shit cloud.
Thanks for keeping these threads open buddy! It is obvious that it is not an easy job at times, but it is very much appreciated!

@bellagiobob
Regarding vaccines and timing, it is all a bit confusing to me since media and off the cuff comments again and again are saying December/January, but at the same time the only serious reports I have seen in Europe say April at the earliest. The European Commission are working to create a mass distribution program starting in April, Italy and Sweden have both officially said that April is the earliest we should assume any vaccine will be made available. I tend to think that April onwards is the realistic estimate, or maybe they are trying to keep expectations low.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for keeping these threads open buddy! It is obvious that it is not an easy job at times, but it is very much appreciated!

@bellagiobob
Regarding vaccines and timing, it is all a bit confusing to me since media and off the cuff comments again and again are saying December/January, but at the same time the only serious reports I have seen in Europe say April at the earliest. The European Commission are working to create a mass distribution program starting in April, Italy and Sweden have both officially said that April is the earliest we should assume any vaccine will be made available. I tend to think that April onwards is the realistic estimate, or maybe they are trying to keep expectations low.
It depends on what you mean by mass distribution. If you are talking about teh general public it is likely a similar situation in the US and Canada. But there will ery likley be people in high risk groups getting vaccine is late December. This could be 20 million or so which may seem like a lot but is really a drop in the bucket world-wide.

If other vaccines have high effacacy you could see a faster roll out as manufacuring is in place for several other pahse three vaccines.

Thjis could be quite complicated if there are multiple vaccines. Would it make sense to vaccinate more people quickly with less effective vaccines or should you wait for teh best? Not an easy decision.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It depends on what you mean by mass distribution. If you are talking about teh general public it is likely a similar situation in the US and Canada. But there will ery likley be people in high risk groups getting vaccine is late December. This could be 20 million or so which may seem like a lot but is really a drop in the bucket world-wide.

If other vaccines have high effacacy you could see a faster roll out as manufacuring is in place for several other pahse three vaccines.

Thjis could be quite complicated if there are multiple vaccines. Would it make sense to vaccinate more people quickly with less effective vaccines or should you wait for teh best? Not an easy decision.
Yes that makes sense, to be fair to the message given over here they almost only say that the vaccines will not be available to the general public until April. That of course does not mean they can or will not start targeted vaccinations.

Last I heard from the Gov in Italy they actually expect to use up to 5-6 vaccines at the same time by next summer.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
With regards to if people intend to take the vaccine or not I think we have gotten a very strong signal that in most of Europe they definitely will. The manner in which this signal came was/is kind of unfortunate in one sense, but I think it definitely a strong indication on what will happen when vaccines for covid19 will be made available. Basically flu vaccinations are through the roof after a significant campaign to get people vaccinated for the 20/21 flu season. I say unfortunate because at first they gave vaccinations to everyone who wanted it (as in any other year), but now this has resulted in that there is a shortage of flu vaccines and many of the really vulnerable will not get theirs.

So good news / bad news I guess. People very keen on getting vaccinated, but in this particular case unfortunate that some who need it will not get access. I would hope a lesson learned before rolling out the covid19 vaccination programs.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Vaccine “effectiveness” takes into account lots of different factors: What percentage of vaccinated people develop antibodies? How many antibodies? How long do the antibodies last? How well do they protect the person from disease?

The above is a quote from Dr. Hamblin’s regular column in The Atlantic. I’m wondering .... given that we have been told by the fear mongers that we don’t build antibodies against covid19 very well, and that there are cases of people becoming infected multiple times over a period of a few months, how is this vaccine supposed to work?

Second, Fauchi postulated out loud about a vaccine that would be 50% effective or maybe even as much as 75% effective. Does anyone actually believe that a rushed through covid 19 vaccine is going to be 90% effective? I mean even Fauchi didn’t seem to expect that. 90% efficacy would be right up there with the most effective vaccines known to man (like MMR). I realize that it’s not the same scenario, but even influenza shots that are considered ‘well matched’ to the strain of influenza prevalent at the time are only 40-60% effective. Speaking with friends who are doctors, none of them believe the 90% figure is even close to accurate.

These are serious questions that perhaps someone with a deeper understanding of the mechanisms could explain.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If they are safe and can be distributed widely, we could be seeing the silver lining to this giant shit cloud.
Exactly
What other options do we have as of right now. I want this over. I think I read somewhere that you will not be allowed in sporting events unless you had your Covid vaccine shot when they are available. You know that you will be getting those people saying " Im not taking one"

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

It was Amir Attaran. If Canada has a national troll he's auditioning constantly. Anybody can google this guy. He's not worth a response, but people should know. Good on Hinshaw to as per usual take the high road. I don't mind taking a different road on her behalf.

Macleans magazine. lol Such a trash rag by now you can't even find it in a supermarket. They wouldn't waste time stocking its unsold fish wrap. Not even good for starting fires.

Reactions: oilers'72

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Exactly
What other options do we have as of right now. I want this over. I think I read somewhere that you will not be allowed in sporting events unless you had your Covid vaccine shot when they are available. You know that you will be getting those people saying " Im not taking one"

How are they going to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->