OT: Coronavirus XXVII: Two Vaccines Are 90%+ Effective, How Safe Are They?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The West’s Failure on Covid is Even More Staggering Than You Think

What the East had that the West didn’t wasn’t money, power, or resources. But something deeper. A set of values and ideas. Social cohesion, trust. Respect for vulnerability. A sense that each life matters, no matter how frail and defenseless. An ability to pull together in the moment of crisis. And the wisdom to look beyond the narrow Western idea that money is the point of life — versus life being the point of money.

The West, by contrast, seems mired in attitudes of individualism, selfishness, narcissism, carelessness, and ignorance so extreme they can only be described as toxic. Much of Sweden seems to have bought the idea of “herd immunity,” which any decent scientist — or even any decent biology student — will tell you is nonsense. But so has America — and when was the last time those two nations had anything in common?

Holy crap you really love extremist sources. Develop a filter. Please. Stop randomly posting whatver you google without a modicum of checking source.

When you see an article on "how the west has failed" the first, second, and third thoughts you should have is how radical the source might be, or the views expressed within. I mean if you really think that in this world proper, that its the US, Canada, all of Europe, whole western world that represent the "failure states" you are very misguided. (I did your fact checking for you once again. The source and author is heavily biased, and against the freedoms you should hold dear.

This source doesn't just think the west failed the pandemic. The source and all their articles purport that the West IS failure.

jebus I'm probably on some list just going to that site...

i feel like I should scrub my hard drive..

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Loved the Bobby Hull version with the metal players hat you could bend the sticks to whatever curve you wanted. Next would be the Bobby Orr version, with the plastic players. Could make more plays with that version. Never liked Stiga. Euro version that was way too gimmicky.

Wheres my like button. heh. I got real real good at all 3 of the games you mention. Stiga are much different but once you get the hang of it you can fire that puck like mad. I fill the net from the wings on Stiga. People just give up.

Its a whole different game in a sense, Rod hockey with the metal players vs the plastic (kind of intermediate for how the shot is) and Stiga. there's a certain whipping of the puck you can do in Stiga which takes some time. Loved all of them.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Nope, to quote the article verbatim:

"According to the results, 28 per cent of Albertans are disregarding safety precautions altogether".

No ambiguity here. In the poll being referenced in the article, there is a second category that encompasses those doing what you suppose, wearing masks in public but not necessarily taking precautions in private settings. This 28% category is plain as day being categorized as taking no precautions whatsoever.

Either the writer of this article simply made things up, or more likely, the poll was purposely conducted in a way that would suss out a predetermined desired result.

The final blow to any credibility this article has occurrs when they feel the need to state that Liberal and NDP voters are more likely to follow precautions than Conservative voters. How is that relevant at all? You may as well say that people whose favorite colour is purple are more likely to comply than those who prefer yellow. The article is really just another poorly disguised political commentary that tosses out unrepresentative statistics in an attempt to sound more official.

This is Exhibit A for why trust in mainstream media is at an all time low. I mean can you honestly with a straight face tell me you believe that 28% of Albertans are refusing to wear a mask at the grocery store? The Calgary Herald seemingly thinks so. Like I said, if this is truly the case, Edmonton and area is apparently some bizzaro world with 99% mask compliance while the rest of the province totally ignores the mandates.

‘The final blow to any credibility this article has occurrs when they feel the need to state that Liberal and NDP voters are more likely to follow precautions than Conservative voters.’

This article has more holes than a sinking ship. The NDP’s base is the under 30 crowd, the same group that has the majority of the ‘I don’t give a shit party crowd.’

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Holy crap you really love extremist sources. Develop a filter. Please. Stop randomly posting whatver you google without a modicum of checking source.

When you see an article on "how the west has failed" the first, second, and third thoughts you should have is how radical the source might be, or the views expressed within. I mean if you really think that in this world proper, that its the US, Canada, all of Europe, whole western world that represent the "failure states" you are very misguided. (I did your fact checking for you once again. The source and author is heavily biased, and against the freedoms you should hold dear.

We have to realize the ideals and values we have aren't perfect and can be left to criticism from other view points. I think we're too arrogant and stubborn to take that criticism. We should hear it and be open to change if necessary.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Wheres my like button. heh. I got real real good at all 3 of the games you mention. Stiga are much different but once you get the hang of it you can fire that puck like mad. I fill the net from the wings on Stiga. People just give up.

Its a whole different game in a sense, Rod hockey with the metal players vs the plastic (kind of intermediate for how the shot is) and Stiga. there's a certain whipping of the puck you can do in Stiga which takes some time. Loved all of them.

Brother and I would play every day after school for hours. Would do up a schedule, keep stats, etc. We both played in the Edmonton Open a few times. Quite the education there. Best learning experience you could get watching the real elite guys.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
dude you're taking it way too literally and missing the point of the survey lol. no that guy definitely falls into the cynical spreaders category.

Last I checked, the resultant data from a poll and the questions said poll is asking are intended to be taken literally. You're just drawing your own speculative conclusions from something that is being presented as concrete, hence their usage of the term "altogether".

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This article has more holes than a sinking ship. The NDP’s base is the under 30 crowd, the same group that has the majority of the ‘I don’t give a shit party crowd.’

Some of whom ironically blame everything on the govt.

A few days ago there was somebody in here saying he was smoking spliffs all weekend with all his homies and then gots covid because his buddy had it (who was smoking joints with friends if you can imagine..) then the guy is complaining that he has to wait to get a covid test and that the govt isn't prompt on servicing asymptomatic right now because they're testing 20K people a day, who are symptomatic perhaps because some people are doing some shit they shouldn't be doing during a pandemic.

This is the enlightened rebels. "hey, I'm Brady Sluder and like I'm just here to party man, and I'm a gonna say I don't care no how if I Catch the Covid" but you better have all those medical resources, testing, etc when and if I ever need it. I'm first in line!

Some are just not getting it.

A lot of Jeff Spicolis out there.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
‘The final blow to any credibility this article has occurrs when they feel the need to state that Liberal and NDP voters are more likely to follow precautions than Conservative voters.’

Maybe that partly stems from the fact that while the NDP has a younger base, the majority of the base is 35+, based on information from last election.

https://nanos.co/wp-content/uploads...Election-Populated-Report-FINAL-with-Tabs.pdf

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hundreds of hrs spent playing Civilization on my 386 with 40MB harddrive

heh, I feel old for bringing this stuff up. But yeah, those were good games, just prefer the map oriented strategy games. When Warcraft went first person and megavisuals and required upticks in memory and processors I lost interest.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
heh, I feel old for bringing this stuff up. But yeah, those were good games, just prefer the map oriented strategy games. When Warcraft went first person and megavisuals and required upticks in memory and processors I lost interest.

Our big strategy games as a kid were Risk and Battleship. ;). And have to put in a plug for one of my favorite all time games, Battling Tops. Still have the original battle ring, which is superior to the new smaller one. Hurricane Hank and Dizzy Dan were my go to guys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe that partly stems from the fact that while the NDP has a younger base, the majority of the base is 35+, based on information from last election.

https://nanos.co/wp-content/uploads...Election-Populated-Report-FINAL-with-Tabs.pdf

Not that I really want to engage this, but odd observation. Not that the polling is likely to be any more accurate than the pre election polling in general.

Almost EVERY party on Earth is likely to have more support in +34 cohort because thats where the vast majority of the electorate is...

I mean you're talking 19-34 vs +34-100 or whatever..

So that its a really weird point you made. ;)

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

This source doesn't just think the west failed the pandemic. The source and all their articles purport that the West IS failure.

i feel like I should scrub my hard drive..

Although I don't agree with posting an article like that from that particular writer under this context, I do happen to agree with the basic fundamentals of eudemonic well being. I can't understand why that was posted here in this thread though. The author of the article seems a bit fringe. Comes across as being Utopian.

What Is Eudaimonic Happiness?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Although I don't agree with posting an article like that from that particular writer under this context, I do happen to agree with the basic fundamentals of eudemonic well being. I can't understand why that was posted here in this thread though. The author of the article seems a bit fringe. Comes across as being Utopian.

What Is Eudaimonic Happiness?

The issue isn't the greek fundamentals of this. Its the source that the poster quoted and what that source fully advocates, and what he believes, and the zeitgeist of that co-opted belief system, that runs so totally counter to ours that is so highly controversial within Western world realm.

I mean I believe in reduced things, possessions, less consumerism, thats one thing. I don't believe in overthrow.

nuff said

Last I'll state on this.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Not that I really want to engage this, but odd observation. Not that the polling is likely to be any more accurate than the pre election polling in general.

Almost EVERY party on Earth is likely to have more support in +34 cohort because thats where the vast majority of the electorate is...

I mean you're talking 19-34 vs +34-100 or whatever..

So that its a really weird point you made. ;)

Not a weird point.

The comment I responded to said "The NDP’s base is the under 30 crowd" which isn't accurate when over 50 percent is not in that group.

Nothing weird about it.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
U.S. Travel Ban: Where’s Newly Open? And Why It’s Looking Up For A Return To Europe

Many parts of the world are opening up their borders to American (and other foreign national) visitors. In November, African safari countries opened their borders and south American countries are doing the same, partly because of a fear of missing out on peak tourist season in the southern hemisphere.

However, there is optimism this week with the commencement of trials of Covid-19-free planes between the U.S. and the U.K. There are two trials in operation–both of which are quite different, as reported by CNBC. There are also trials underway of a new health application to aid screening processes across borders.

Initiative 3: Common Pass

The three alliances, Oneworld, Star Alliance and SkyTeam, which represent 58 global airlines are also urging the use of Common Pass, a digital health passport system, as reported by AP. It is backed by the World Economic Forum and Swiss-based foundation The Commons Project and is crucially, a non-profit scheme.

The idea is that passengers get a COVID-19 test up to 72 hours before traveling, which are then uploaded into the Common Pass application on their phone via a certified laboratory. The app generates a code which can be checked by airline staff upon departure and border officials when they arrive.

United Airlines has started trialling the app. It is hoped that these pilots of airport testing and health passports will convince government officials to safely reopen borders

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not a weird point.

The comment I responded to said "The NDP’s base is the under 30 crowd" which isn't accurate when over 50 percent is not in that group.

Nothing weird about it.

Ahh, I see, sorry. Gotcha. The original comment then was incorrect. Point McEnroe. ;)

Been a lot of tennis and vollying in here today so harder to keep track.

But sometimes things are stated and albeit inexacting, they reflect, still, a significant basis, a significant differential. I mean looking at the numbers of what over or under 34 are preferring the difference is striking enough, and matches what would be commonly thought.

just saying

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ahh, I see, sorry. Gotcha. The original comment then was incorrect. Point McEnroe. ;)

Been a lot of tennis and vollying in here today so harder to keep track.

But sometimes things are stated and albeit inexacting, they reflect, still, a significant basis, a significant differential. I mean looking at the numbers of what over or under 34 are preferring the difference is striking enough, and matches what would be commonly thought.

just saying

Yeah, I think @bellagiobob knows I wasn't trying to do a "gotcha" moment on him. Just posted that info to look at reasons to explain why you might see two parts of the equation that he was talking about.

But all is forgiven, due to your warm comments on Warcraft.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ah yes, all those people with cognitive issues from the cold months later lol.

There's a clear difference in how this affects the elderly and the general population, but this constant need to call it a common cold is reductionist and a dishonest way to describe it.
I agree, it’s not the common cold. It’s a pandemic, which will kill people who don’t need to die right now. However measures that don’t need to be taken will have their toll also. And those are preventable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, I think @bellagiobob knows I wasn't trying to do a "gotcha" moment on him. Just posted that info to look at reasons to explain why you might see two parts of the equation that he was talking about.

But all is forgiven, due to your warm comments on Warcraft.

heh, it was interesting enough sidebar and I enjoyed looking at the polling source. Good thing its Sunday, getting nothing at all done this evening..;)

Reactions: Senor Catface
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad