OT: Coronavirus XXIX: Is This Even the Right Damn Roman Numeral? New Measures to Curb Stomp COVID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Wondering what people think of, according to someone close to Hinshaw, that Hinshaw referred to her relationship with the provincial cabinet as "an uphill battle". A reporter posed that to her today and she did not deny it. We all heard her answer which was definitely the "politically correct " one.

Sure. Again as a former public servant our job was not to like or cheerlead for the government of the day.

I should note I didn't work at nearly as high a level as Dr Hinshaw, and to the extent the Minister was ever asking questions about what we were doing it was few and far between.

Reactions: oilers'72 and HK97

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think you understood it, and @Drivesaitl misunderstood it. I think he and I are largely in agreement, even if he doesn't know it.

FWIW I did initially think Hinshaw may have been the one who was the source to CBC. Her response at the news briefing today makes me think that is less likely, because it has probably made her job much more difficult.

Certainly agree here, and I was correct in the bolded, that you had thought it was Hinshaw leak, so I'm glad its been clarified. I'm a good reader, I could tell what you were stating. heh

So thats why I rebutted that somewhat passionately.

Agree that everybodies job is now much more difficult. Thats what happens when govt confidentiality is violated and the sworn oath of confidentiality broken.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I’m confused. Isn’t it Hinshaws job to offer recommendations from her field of expertise to the committee, who are gathering advice from a variety of people on various matters (health, economics, etc), and then those higher up the food chain make the decision on what’s best for the province as a whole? Why does the CBC have its knickers in a knot over this? Rhetorical question, I know the answer. What a continuing waste of taxpayers $$, as well as continuing to cause a rift among the citizens at a time we need cohesion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m confused. Isn’t it Hinshaws job to offer recommendations from her field of expertise to the committee, who are gathering advice from a variety of people on various matters (health, economics, etc), and then those higher up the food chain make the decision on what’s best for the province as a whole? Why does the CBC have its knickers in a knot over this? Rhetorical question, I know the answer. What a continuing waste of taxpayers $$, as well as continuing to cause a rift among the citizens at a time we need cohesion.

This gives me an excuse to cite this;

Abacus Data | Canadian News Media And “Fake News” Under A Microscope

CBC doing particularly bad in this. Actually the worst percieved bias coverage. Both CBC radio and TV.

Also who can forget the CBC getting their knickers in a twist and suing a research study, and article, and publication that published findings on their bias. That was in 1986. By no means is this a new thing.

interestingly the whole political spectrum perceives the CBC bias. That is the charming thing. Its the one thing that every stripe agrees on, which is fairly remarkable considering its the paid public broadcaster and news source. Guess we can't expect much for our money.

I can't even unsee this. Its actually funny.
partisan-bias-3.png

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agree that everybodies job is now much more difficult. Thats what happens when govt confidentiality is violated and the sworn oath of confidentiality broken.

Absolutely.

There was no "whistle blowing" of any kind with this leak. We don't know what the context was in which these statements were attributed to Dr. Hinshaw. She called them taken out of context.

Shame on the anonymous coward who leaked this recording. Shame on any of those who do not understand how incredibly difficult this is on our government and senior public officials.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Certainly agree here, and I was correct in the bolded, that you had thought it was Hinshaw leak, so I'm glad its been clarified. I'm a good reader, I could tell what you were stating. heh

So thats why I rebutted that somewhat passionately.

I'd fire everyone if no one comes forward. You're supposed to be a team, so you should be treated like a team. The leaker will be pretty upset when they find out 20 other people are going to lose their jobs because of them including Hinshaw.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s a gigantic nothing burger.

not the leak, that’s a huge issue. Just to clarify in case anyone took my comment wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolutely.

There was no "whistle blowing" of any kind with this leak. We don't know what the context was in which these statements were attributed to Dr. Hinshaw. She called them taken out of context.

Shame on the anonymous coward who leaked this recording. Shame on any of those who do not understand how incredibly difficult this is on our government and senior public officials.

Bang on. Also of note with the TWENTY leaked tapes very clear that the individual(s) in question were serial offenders. Its remarkable too that in all that, they found no controversy, they found no impropriety. All they found were tapes that contravened any notion of integrity, confidentiality, and that contravened their stated oath.

Worse, all this was for very clear intent. Not to improve the health of Albertans or out of need to out some clandestine conspiracy. It was simply partisan, and with a known end goal. This is simply all done as an attempt to dishonor the ELECTED govt. With ironically the National funded broadcaster furthering this whole propaganda campaign. Maybe even funding it. Maybe CBC ARE the leak. They deserve that question be asked, themselves, at this point.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bang on. Also of note with the TWENTY leaked tapes very clear that the individual(s) in question were serial offenders. Its remarkable too that in all that, they found no controversy, they found no impropriety. All they found were tapes that contravened any notion of integrity, confidentiality, and that contravened their stated oath.

Worse, all this was for very clear intent. Not to improve the health of Albertans or out of need to out some clandestine conspiracy. It was simply partisan, and with a known end goal. This is simply all done as an attempt to dishonor the ELECTED govt. With ironically the National funded broadcaster furthering this whole propaganda campaign. Maybe even funding it. Maybe CBC ARE the leak. They deserve that question be asked, themselves, at this point.

Really all this does is strengthen a persons belief in Hinshaw and the Provincial government and make CBC and those who are helping push their agenda or who’s agenda CBC is pushing look really bad.

Reactions: oilers'72 and bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Would have loved to see Hinshaw pull a Torts, and told the CBC guy to go f**k himself during question time. ;)

You read my post of quotes of Hinshaw. This is as heated as it gets and she held no punches, while being professional. She made excellent statements. The major takeaway is interference, aided and abetted by CBC, furthered by CBC, and front page published by CBC which are an affront to our elected provincial autonomy. They are essentially trying to hold court on our elected govt. I'm appalled by that from a purported national broadcaster. I mean if it was any other you jsut look away and go "fishwrap" but we're paying the CBC so that they can besmirch our ELECTED political office. Maybe CBC should consider that.

That their actions now quite clearly adversely IMPACT our provincial political process. Should they be doing that?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cancelled my family’s big Christmas gathering two weeks ago. Will take the kids out for extra tobogganing or other fun activities if weather permits.

One of the joys through this as we go for our walks in parks or river valley or Millcreek ravine is the many families out and about with thier kids playing, tobogganoning, and distancing and respecting that and staying safe, but recognizing the importance of child, and adult fun.

Just reinstills any faith when you see families frolicking in the great outdoors and we're seeing renewed interest in toboganning this year, thats for sure. Never seen so many in decades. Its good to see. Good for the heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad