OT: Coronavirus XXIV Version B: The Shit Has Hit the Fan in Europe Again :( Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I wonder too if theres a marked problem with capacity to be alone these days. This is something we learned as a skill from an early age in older generations. Now it seems not to occur. A normal functioning 12yr old or older should be able to spend some time being alone and be OK with that.

I can't answer your question, but it would seem odd considering that basically every study suggest that young people today, are far, far more likely to spend their free time alone than previous generations. For example:

• In the late 1970s, 52 percent of 12th graders said they got together with their friends almost every day but, by 2017, only 28 percent did.
• In 2017, teens got together with their friends 68 fewer times a year than they did in the early 1990s and high school seniors went out on dates 32 fewer times a year.
• Gen Z 10th graders went to approximately 17 fewer parties a year than Gen X 10th graders did.

Considering those kind of stats, I could imagine that teens today are actually better at coping with isolation that you or I would have been at the same age. Simply because it's closer to their "normal" pre-covid life. But again, I actually have no idea. Just speculation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't answer your question, but it would seem odd considering that basically every study suggest that young people today, are far, far more likely to spend their free time alone than previous generations. For example:

• In the late 1970s, 52 percent of 12th graders said they got together with their friends almost every day but, by 2017, only 28 percent did.
• In 2017, teens got together with their friends 68 fewer times a year than they did in the early 1990s and high school seniors went out on dates 32 fewer times a year.
• Gen Z 10th graders went to approximately 17 fewer parties a year than Gen X 10th graders did.

Considering those kind of stats, I could imagine that teens today are actually better at coping with isolation that you or I would have been at the same age. Simply because it's closer to their "normal" pre-covid life. But again, I actually have no idea. Just speculation.

In anycase I think the article and title were somewhat bait switch misleading as it seemed most of the teens indicated they were fine.

As far as the rest so many contacts now are virtual in nature with friends, and as any City gets bigger its harder to get to friends places than it used to be for young people. So with tech communication just going to be many more times where you just communicate/interact using tech.

A substantial difference is that in 70's a lot of Grade 12's drove cars, so could get around, and haul friends around. School parking lots used to be overflowing at all times. Now much of parking space at high schools is converted to other use or sitting mostly empty. Hardly any highschool kids drive their own vehicles now.

I am interested in the study you cited if you can send a link. Its kind of sad if all that is commonplace now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
There's no guarantee a seatbelt will save my life if I get drilled by a garbage truck, so there's really no point in wearing one at all.

Yeah. I agree with you. Thing is, after posting that and thinking about how it's been handled from a public communication perspective by the "health authorities", I can see reasons for either misunderstanding or basically laying up a middle finger to the process. I've never seen such a lack of basic communication skill on a national and International level (to the extent I know about other nations, which isn't much) by the people who's job it is to do so. I'm personally very technically oriented with a touch of OCD, so this shit drives me absolutely batty.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm curious about the assertion though that schools should need to be checking in with students aged 12-18 to see if they are OK, if they are fine, etc.

The study mentions problems with resilience of students under this pandemic.

We are looking at schools being responsible for too much here imo, and they don't really have the time to be checking in on each student not in school. I mean parents could be doing that as well if need be.

There used to be health programs at school that would cover different aspects of self care. It strikes me that either this isn't being taught, reinforced, or students aren't learning it. We need students to have the emotional capacity to function while alone. I wonder too if theres a marked problem with capacity to be alone these days. This is something we learned as a skill from an early age in older generations. Now it seems not to occur. A normal functioning 12yr old or older should be able to spend some time being alone and be OK with that.

Funny you should mention this. I just had a chitchat with my daughter yesterday re: how she's doing with school at home (GrantMac) and her lack of being able to hang out with friends to a certain extent as per usual. She ain't bitchin, but she's mentioned a number of times how online study sucks shit as she misses the comradery of in class learning. How the f*** is a 212 year old supposed to bounce idears and issuesoff her old man's and old lady's heads. I clearly remember when I was that age. I didn't want a thing to do with my folks.

Not sure if this applies to that article though as I haven't read it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Funny you should mention this. I just had a chitchat with my daughter yesterday re: how she's doing with school at home (GrantMac) and her lack of being able to hang out with friends to a certain extent as per usual. She ain't bitchin, but she's mentioned a number of times how online study sucks shit as she misses the comradery of in class learning. How the f*** is a 212 year old supposed to bounce idears and issuesoff her old man's and old lady's heads. I clearly remember when I was that age. I didn't want a thing to do with my folks.

Not sure if this applies to that article though as I haven't read it.

Man, you've got some longevity in your family gene pool. ;)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Where are you seeing these numbers? The highest number of deaths we've had in a single day recently is 10.

I realize we're not going to be "spared" a second wave completely. Numbers are going up across the board but so far not nearly as dramatically as in other places. I do think in general the risk of death from this virus is greatly exaggerated.

Success is obviously rather subjective at this point. I will however say that I don't think it's fair to compare the high numbers from the spring in Sweden to other countries with a lower death toll. If you look at the numbers Sweden had a very low amount of deaths last year compared to our neighbours (as well as the national average) for instance. A lot of people who were *supposed* to die didn't and those people ended up dying instead this year.

That's not to say the response has been perfect and that a certain amount of deaths couldn't have been prevented but you have to take a lot of factors into account before judging whether a country did well or not, and on the whole I believe Sweden has done a solid job. You can't underestimate the detrimental effects that lockdowns have. You may prevent some COVID deaths, but then you'll end up with economic damage and widespread loneliness caused by isolation which both leads to increased rates of suicides and drug overdoses.

Like, COVID is not something you can just measure at the end of the year and say "this is what the death rate was, so this country did well and this didn't", the impact of this virus is so much more than just number of deaths caused by a COVID-19 infection. You have to look at the full picture, and I believe that is exactly what Tegnell and his colleagues have done. Humane restrictions and limit spread as much as possible while keeping society intact.
I'll see if I manage to send you a PM later. I am taking numbers from the press conferences, even though they spread out over several days (so it is not visibile yet in the stats) it's a lot higher lately.

Bad day today, bad week. School closed due to lack of teachers/staff (too many in quarantine) and an essential lockdown begin here tomorrow. Red zone, Lombardy. If schools close I'll f**king escape to Swe.

The family all took the test on Monday, all negative, so that's the only positive news lately.

Don't know how we'll cope with another lockdown to be honest... If kids are still ar school that would help a lot, if not .... :surrender

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I'll see if I manage to send you a PM later. I am taking numbers from the press conferences, even though they spread out over several days (so it is not visibile yet in the stats) it's a lot higher lately.

Bad day today, bad week. School closed due to lack of teachers/staff (too many in quarantine) and an essential lockdown begin here tomorrow. Red zone, Lombardy. If schools close I'll f**king escape to Swe.

The family all took the test on Monday, all negative, so that's the only positive news lately.

Don't know how we'll cope with another lockdown to be honest... If kids are still ar school that would help a lot, if not .... :surrender

Best of luck to you, your family, and everyone else in Italy.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
sooo.....aerosol, organ damage, and mutating with no treatment or vaccine.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah. I agree with you. Thing is, after posting that and thinking about how it's been handled from a public communication perspective by the "health authorities", I can see reasons for either misunderstanding or basically laying up a middle finger to the process. I've never seen such a lack of basic communication skill on a national and International level (to the extent I know about other nations, which isn't much) by the people who's job it is to do so. I'm personally very technically oriented with a touch of OCD, so this shit drives me absolutely batty.
Did you watch the OJ trial and see how the lawyers tried to explain DNA evidence to the jury! :)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Stay safe man!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm no virus expert so is it fair to ask if viruses have a degree of "intelligence" to them? Almost like the code in it is saying "Holy shit, we came on too strong at the start...we're killing hosts off too rapidly. If we continue to kill hosts, we won't survive. We need to mutate and change our genetic code to ensure our survivial." So the next mutation changes a bit and is slightly weaker where it still makes the host ill (or asymptomatic) but isn't as deadly as the first strain, unless the host is already weakened due to other factors but it ensures the virus' survival.

Or is that not even out in left field, but more like up in the bleeds?

Reactions: oilers'72

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I'm no virus expert so is it fair to ask if viruses have a degree of "intelligence" to them? Almost like the code in it is saying "Holy shit, we came on too strong at the start...we're killing hosts off too rapidly. If we continue to kill hosts, we won't survive. We need to mutate and change our genetic code to ensure our survivial." So the next mutation changes a bit and is slightly weaker where it still makes the host ill (or asymptomatic) but isn't as deadly as the first strain, unless the host is already weakened due to other factors but it ensures the virus' survival.

This is exactly what I postulated in the spring or summer. I've heard that more often than not, viruses like this tend to mutate into less harmful versions so to me it makes some sense. It could also have something to do with the parasite (the virus) and the host (us) "getting use to our new symbiotic relationship" and adapting to one another via genetic exchange through generations of infections and reproduction etc. They gain some of our dna when replicating using our cells and we theirs and we adapt to thrive and live better with the "parasite".

Reactions: McFuhryous

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
New Westminster COVID-19 truther charged with breaking quarantine law | Vancouver Sun

A B.C. man has been charged with violating the Quarantine Act after returning from an out-of-country flat earth conference, and bragging about his refusal to self-isolate during a rally in Downtown Vancouver.

Even after receiving a violation ticket, Parhar continued leaving his residence, New West police said in a news release. An investigation into his behaviour was opened on Oct. 28, though Parhar has been on law enforcement’s radar for months. The flat-earth conspiracy theorist has been a mainstay at Vancouver-area protests against COVID-19 restrictions since the beginning of the pandemic. He has repeatedly said the coronavirus is a hoax.

“It’s not really quarantine, it’s self-imprisonment,” he said, going on to argue that the order only applied to persons and “a person is a fictitious entity.”

makes sense. :facepalm: throw that f***er in one of those concentration camps already.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

It is basically as simple as dead people don't spread the virus. There is no consious decision making going on. These are random events triggered by mistakes in the genetic duplication mechanism.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Did you watch the OJ trial and see how the lawyers tried to explain DNA evidence to the jury! :)

I was in NAIT at the time so all I remember is everybody gathering around the TV in the main area to laugh at the proceedings. ;)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
sooo.....aerosol, organ damage, and mutating with no treatment or vaccine.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Nature, the greatest scientist of all time with millions of years of experience and data.

It’s like history has been a game of chess between humans and nature. Eventually she’ll put it all together and come up with something our best minds can’t get out in front of and it will be checkmate.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Today's #COVID19AB update is being delayed due to technical issues. The team is working hard & we will reschedule the update asap. My sincere apologies for the short notice. I know many people follow these updates & that this information is important. We will update you soon.

Two days in a row.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nature, the greatest scientist of all time with millions of years of experience.

It’s like history has been a game of chess between humans and nature. Eventually she’ll put it all together and come up with something our best minds can’t get out in front of and it will be checkmate.

the problem is we pay people to be contrarian....and often pay people to be wrong because it will make money

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

That sucks. Stay safe buddy.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It is basically as simple as dead people don't sread the virus. There is no consious decision making going on. These are random events triggered by mistakes in the genetic duplication mechanism.

The reason I had that thought enter my mind was I wondered how deadly the common cold may have been when it first entered the scene God knows how long ago. Was it just a pain in the ass like it is now or did it cause major health problems and deaths.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
The reason I had that thought enter my mind was I wondered how deadly the common cold may have been when it first entered the scene God knows how long ago. Was it just a pain in the ass like it is now or did it cause major health problems and deaths.
Yup, that's evolution! Very fascinating to learn and read about.

Some similar examples of evolutions in the wild include giraffes evolving longer necks to reach the leaves on taller trees. The giraffes with shorter necks that couldn't reach the leaves died out, which left the giraffes with longer necks to pass on their genes.

Cheetahs evolving incredible speed to catch their prey. The slower cheetahs couldn't catch their prey and died out, leaving the faster cheetahs to pass on their genes.

Hopefully this virus will evolve to be less harmful as well. Viruses and bacteria can evolve at a much faster rate of course, since they can multiply exponentially which leaves much more room for mutations.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

It's in the virus' best interest to spread before killing the host, thus a milder form of the virus gives itself a better chance to occupy a mobile host and spread itself more efficiently.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Today's #COVID19AB update is being delayed due to technical issues. The team is working hard & we will reschedule the update asap. My sincere apologies for the short notice. I know many people follow these updates & that this information is important. We will update you soon.

Two days in a row.
Hinshaw 445pm media avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad