OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.

6,893 Albertans have recovered leaving 486 active cases. 38 people are hospitalized with 7 in ICUs. There are 48 new cases out of 6,982 tests. There have been no new deaths. We’ve now surpassed 350,000 tests. (1/6)

I want to recognize the 151 lives lost to COVID-19 – ranging in ages from 27-105, most had two or more underlying conditions but a small number had none. They will all be missed. (2/6)

We are challenged during #COVID19AB to live with uncertainty – 1 of the hardest things to do. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health reports a significant impact on Canadians: 1/5 had moderate to severe anxiety recently due to factors like job loss & fear of the virus. (3/6)

If you feel anxious, this is natural—and you are not alone. Take care of yourself through practices like sleep, connecting safely w/loved ones, exercise & meditation. Anxiety & fear are built-in mechanisms to keep us safe. The challenge is to anchor to facts. (4/6)

Following public health guidelines can help increase a feeling of being in control. Text4Hope offers advice & encouragement - text COVID19HOPE to 393939. You can also call mental health helplines 24/7 or access local counselling. Get info on AHS or Alberta Health websites. (5/6)

We’re in a new phase of COVID-19, the spread is relatively stable. Albertans may not hear from me as often. The onus is on all of us to protect each other. Let’s all take responsibility for our actions & get tested even without symptoms & download ABTraceTogether. (6/6)

"I want to recognize the 151 lives lost to COVID-19 – ranging in ages from 27-105, most had two or more underlying conditions but a small number had none."

"The challenge is to anchor to facts."

Nothing like stoking the fear with half-facts. Run and hide 27 year olds! Run and hide!

She and others like her have turned into a running joke from people I know after it was OK to protest, but not to open sports teams and small businesses.

Most of us have concluded that the horrible flu/pneumonia that went through in December/January/February was Covid. Keep destroying that economy though.

Sewage study suggests COVID-19 was in Italy before China reported cases

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"I want to recognize the 151 lives lost to COVID-19 – ranging in ages from 27-105, most had two or more underlying conditions but a small number had none."

Nothing like stoking the fear with half-facts. Run and hide 27 year olds! Run and hide!

She and others like her have turned into a running joke from people I know after it was OK to protest, but not to open sports teams and small businesses.

Most of us have concluded that the horrible flu/pneumonia that went through in December/January/February was Covid. Keep destroying that economy though.

all you have to do is look at the comorbidity
COVID-19 Alberta statistics

7 deaths in the province were from a person with no comorbidity
I'd love to know the ages of these 7 deaths...how many were under the age of 50?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Reactions: Duke74

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
+4k cases in Florida. Their ICU beds were pushing 80% full I believe. They already are having to move patients around with many hospitals full. Arizona may be hitting ICU bed capacity soon.

Not good stuff.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Did the city fire everyone that cuts grass this year? Bad enough that we need to drive around a depressed ghost town, with places boarded up all over, and roads that look like they've been bombed out, but to look at public areas and see public grass disguised as wheatfields that look like they haven't been touched since the 2nd week in May, is disgusting.
They announced last week that they have gone from cutting every week to every three weeks. The every week thing is BS, as I know for a fact that wasn't happening before.

The City has made it pretty clear that they have cuts all over the place. Cutting grass really should be one of the first things to go. At the same time I'd be very curious what the cost would be if the City tendered out grass cutting. A lot of things City ran are a shit show.

I have no idea what it is now, but when I was out of high school minimum wage was something like 5.90 an hour. I got a job cutting grass for $10 an hour which I thought was great. My buddy who worked for the City got $16 an hour plus ridiculous OT pay was given to City employees back then. Something tells me they probably could get things done for cheaper

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
+4k cases in Florida. Their ICU beds were pushing 80% full I believe. They already are having to move patients around with many hospitals full. Arizona may be hitting ICU bed capacity soon.

Not good stuff.

Unfortunately not surprising given how they responded. Hopefully they can make some changes to prevent it from getting much worse.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I seem to get sick after I eat Carls Jr. I like the taste but I stopped eating there because of that. I used to work at a few restaurants when i was younger. The Millwoods BPs probably had the cheapest owners that I've worked for. They would make the servers pay for dine and dashes and only give you up to $3.75 off of your staff meal and you couldn't get a discount on chicken breasts. My cousin worked for Buffet World and they would make the servers wait without getting paid in the dining room until they got busy. Some people would sit there for hours without getting paid then get sent home.

To be fair, I haven't eaten there since the CEO threatened to automate his staff if the legal minimum wage increased and then just didn't pay them anyways after it was.

My worst pet peeve from working in some restaurants was having to tip out managers. I had no problem tipping bussers, back house staff and hosts (in all honesty, there was zero reason I was going home home with hundreds of dollars for a shift while they were going home with a fraction of that), but why the heck was I paying my boss a percentage of my wage? Some restaurants were essentially set up as medieval fiefdoms where tribute was required from the servants.

/End rant.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

One of the facts I'd like to see more of is the percentage of people in populations that have/don't have any of these pre-existing conditions and a list and breakdown of which ones are considered in the data, and their proportional comorbidity. In modern ages due to excess of wealth and having everything that people have become heavier, more have diabetes, asthma, degenerative bone and joint conditions, arthritis. Even a lot of young people have these conditions now. Older accumulate more of them. But I don't think we're seeing the complete picture on how many people in general population now have pre-existing conditions.

Finally its not just covid=19 fatality that has caused ample concern. Its the degree to which the disease produces, in many cases severe deleterious condition and with many taking months to recover, and it not even being known yet what complete recovery looks like in those patients.

Reactions: Skar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I seem to get sick after I eat Carls Jr. I like the taste but I stopped eating there because of that. I used to work at a few restaurants when i was younger. The Millwoods BPs probably had the cheapest owners that I've worked for. They would make the servers pay for dine and dashes and only give you up to $3.75 off of your staff meal and you couldn't get a discount on chicken breasts. My cousin worked for Buffet World and they would make the servers wait without getting paid in the dining room until they got busy. Some people would sit there for hours without getting paid then get sent home.

Most fast food is generally garbage and stuff people shouldn't even ingest. But theres fast food chains like Carls and Popeyes Chicken that are beyond the pale in calories, additives and garbage ingested. You feel sick eating such crap because your body is telling you its crap. I've never been inclined to just eat whatever tastes good without awareness of what else is in there. Most of the fastfood menu options and recipes are simply bad for anybody. I can never understand really why people pay ample money for the crap just to eat stuff that literally makes you ill.

Increasingly restos serve the same high caloric, high sodium, high fat garbage.

This is not off topic either as a whole proportion of people right now are eating nothing but fastfood and whatever skip the dishes throws at the door. We have multiple families in the neighborhood that don't cook their own food, at all now, and don't go shopping. They have multiple per day drop offs of food. Not only is that intake so harmful these people are increasingly not doing anything. Sitting there with the remote controls eating day after day of fried chicken pizza. This kind of reliance on fast food garbage, loaded with additives and processing, will lead to worse rates of all pre-existing conditions. Its interesting that even during a pandemic, where people ought to think more about their health and mortality that so many are falling by the wayside breaking their weight scales.

Reactions: Duke74

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

She gave a range of ages, how is that not a fact? What scientific method did you and your pals use to determine that the flu/pneumonia in Dec/Jan/Feb was COVID? Data analytics? Antibody testing? or just a wild guess?

Reactions: Leo360

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
200 active cases in Edmonton out of 1 million, such a small number, prob wont get any smaller until a vaccine. The hospitals are still empty, no worries right now with reopening, should of been a couple months ago really.

Doesn't really tell the story. This is 3X as many active cases as Edmonton has ever had, and we're now tied with Calgary in active cases despite their pop being larger. Reason to freak out, no, but this is not out of 1Million, this is the number of new cases popping up just on those getting tested. In Edmonton, anyway, theres never been a greater chance of catching the pandemic. Its generally considered that 10X as many people have covid-19 in pops than what confirmed tests indicate. So right now reasonable to suggest 2K have it. Currently. Some of those are likelyly superspreaders. With such spreaders its not unusual for them to infect 50 others at one time, in the right setting.

We'll never really know for sure how much distancing, isolation, staying home etc limited spread. How much Canadas lower pop density limited spread. But several other jurisdictions around the world give us ample notice that the virus infects many more, and many more die when sensible recommendations are not followed. Even Quebec has shown us how much a province can completely fail the response, and if any province was a bet to fail in this, it was Quebec.

Reactions: LaGu and Leo360

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
She gave a range of ages, how is that not a fact? What scientific method did you and your pals use to determine that the flu/pneumonia in Dec/Jan/Feb was COVID? Data analytics? Antibody testing? or just a wild guess?

The same post you quoted gives a citation of sewage testing revealing Covid-19 in areas. Research in this area is giving us much greater detail and timestamp on when exactly covid -19 was first in areas as the research has revealed that sewage gives a reliable, possibility best estimate of degree of covid-19 existing in an area at anytime. Its beautiful epidemiological work.

How did you not understand the argument the poster was making and his substantiation? Quite clearly in reading the post the reference was to sewage indices of Covid-19. That was crystal clear to me, in reading the post and link.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Cost savings + COVID. Cutting grass is far from an essential service so they have put it on pause for the foreseeable future.

Tourism is a decent chunk of our economy, and with the travel local theme for this year in place, you want the city looking presentable. Cutting grass seems like a minor item and one that is easy to axe, but when tourists see a city that looks unkept, it doesn’t leave a good impression, and will potentially hurt future tourism. I’m sure we could all look at the city budget and find a few million to cut here and there without looking too hard.

Reactions: LaGu

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
The same post you quoted gives a citation of sewage testing revealing Covid-19 in areas. Research in this area is giving us much greater detail and timestamp on when exactly covid -19 was first in areas as the research has revealed that sewage gives a reliable, possibility best estimate of degree of covid-19 existing in an area at anytime. Its beautiful epidemiological work.

How did you not understand the argument the poster was making and his substantiation? Quite clearly in reading the post the reference was to sewage indices of Covid-19. That was crystal clear to me, in reading the post and link.
The news story came out this morning. How has a news story that's a few hours old led to "most of us have concluded X"?

I am not disputing the source, but the fact that an article a couple hours old is being used as evidence to support a preconceived conclusion. In your words: "How do you not understand that?"

Reactions: Leo360

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Tourism is a decent chunk of our economy, and with the travel local theme for this year in place, you want the city looking presentable. Cutting grass seems like a minor item and one that is easy to axe, but when tourists see a city that looks unkept, it doesn’t leave a good impression, and will potentially hurt future tourism. I’m sure we could all look at the city budget and find a few million to cut here and there without looking too hard.
No offence to Edmonton, but it's far from a tourist destination. Outside of rural Albertans & Sask folk, who decides on Edmonton as a tourist destination? "Can't wait to go see the 2nd largest mall in the world!" isn't much of a draw anymore...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
5 Guys is the best chain burger joint around

not really close IMO

just looked at the lol menu. Frieds, Burgers, dogs. Even the hotdogs there contain gluten.

Heres the complete gluten free menu at this joint;

….

….

Special lol that the mushrooms contain about a dozen ingredients other than mushrooms.

I can never figure why people eat this stuff but I lost interest in fast food burgers soon as I wasn't a teen anymore. How long in life are people continuing to go to fast food joints now? I went to 5 guys once in my life, literally laughed saying "this is the menu" Theres nothing here I would eat. Walked out.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The news story came out this morning. How has a news story that's a few hours old led to "most of us have concluded X"?

I am not disputing the source, but the fact that an article a couple hours old is being used as evidence to support a preconceived conclusion. In your words: "How do you not understand that?"

The sewage analysis has been happening now for over a month, is widely cited, and been in the news. You haven't kept up with that news, which is fine, but don't pretend its todays news.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
just looked at the lol menu. Frieds, Burgers, dogs. Even the hotdogs there contain gluten.

Heres the complete gluten free menu at this joint;

Special lol that the mushrooms contain about a dozen ingredients other than mushrooms.

I can never figure why people eat this stuff but I lost interest in fast food burgers soon as I wasn't a teen anymore. How long in life are people continuing to go to fast food joints now? I went to 5 guys once in my life, literally laughed saying "this is the menu" Theres nothing here I would eat. Walked out.
then where do you eat?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
The sewage analysis has been happening now for over a month, is widely cited, and been in the news. You haven't kept up with that news, which is fine, but don't pretend its todays news.
The news story is from today. You haven't looked at the time stamp on the article, which is fine, but don't pretend that you did.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Tourism is a decent chunk of the Alberta economy. Particularly that stemming from the Mountain Parks, and Calgary, in that order. Edmonton is not, and has never been, an appreciable tourist destination unless one considers the residential locations of say Redwater, Toefield, Calmar, being the "tourists". I mean Edmonton is a service sector hub for Central, Northern Alberta. But tourist hub? Nah, not even with so much money thrown at trying to make it be.

Sure we get some international tourists here. But most skip coming here. We don't even decently service those that do come here. Our train station and location on a national line (where lots of tourists come) is a joke and there isn't even public transportation to and from. Most tourists take a look at the station along the yellowhead and can't wait to get out of dodge. The train formerly went to the CN Tower. Could you imagine that would now create impetus for tourists to get off the train and look around and maybe stay a few days.. that just being an example where Edmonton blows it on tourism. Another is that no decent bus, train, service runs regularly to the mountain parks, or Calgary, where the vast majority of tourists to Alberta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino