OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sadly there are places getting hit hard in spite of the temperatures rising in the northern hemisphere. If there is no real "break" in the summer, winter could really be ugly without a safe and working vaccine or treatments.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Drove through Edmonton Sunday afternoon. It looked like a ghost town. Boarded up buildings. Near empty streets.

More Toronto small businesses added to COVID-19 toll

Sadly this was starting to happen pre-covid. I know the other day people were a bit shocked about the announcement of Starbucks shutting down so many stores, yet this was already happening right before all this happened.

Talking to managers of various bar and restaurants shortly after x-mas, they weren't sure if they'd make it until June.

It's a little scary that so much is being blamed on Covid, yet the signs were there 6 months ago that a lot of places were having struggles.

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sadly there are places getting hit hard in spite of the temperatures rising in the northern hemisphere. If there is no real "break" in the summer, winter could really be ugly without a safe and working vaccine or treatments.
From my standpoint living in Edmonton I'd be very curious to know before the opening of phases what Hinshaw really expected.

Is what is happening in Edmonton actually a shock to her, I tend to think not.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sadly this was starting to happen pre-covid. I know the other day people were a bit shocked about the announcement of Starbucks shutting down so many stores, yet this was already happening right before all this happened.

Talking to managers of various bar and restaurants shortly after x-mas, they weren't sure if they'd make it until June.

It's a little scary that so much is being blamed on Covid, yet the signs were there 6 months ago that a lot of places were having struggles.

Covid is a huge factor. It's sad and yes it takes years to reach this level of neglect. Huge pot hole strewn streets. Crumbling infrastructure. We had to go to Sherwood park to see a worker cutting grass as the Edmonton run places are overgrown and an eyesore. Those immaculate, cement encased bike lanes must have cost hundreds of millions of dollars though.

Now they have poured the Covid fear into so many that they are scared to go outside. If this was WW2 the Germans would have simply wandered in while everyone hid in their homes.

Oh well. We spent around 7k and then left. We did our part.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Now they have poured the Covid fear into so many that they are scared to go outside. If this was WW2 the Germans would have simply wandered in while everyone hid in their homes.
Do you suggest everyone go outside with their guns and shoot the virus?

I was back in Edmonton last weekend as well, the city hasn't changed outside of the development around the arena and 124st being a lot nicer. What part of town were you wandering around?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The retail outlets I interact with on a daily basis are doing numbers that are nearly breaking records, and have been throughout nearly the entire covid19 situation. Factor in some of the staffing challenges they are having right now, and the extra safety precautions they need to take, and its arguable that it's the busiest many of these businesses have ever been in history. I am sure they would find the idea of Edmonton looking like a ghost town to be rather hilarious.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Do you suggest everyone go outside with their guns and shoot the virus?

I was back in Edmonton last weekend as well, the city hasn't changed outside of the development around the arena and 124st being a lot nicer. What part of town were you wandering around?

For one example, we drove down Jasper Ave and counted 32 pedestrians walking from 124st to 104st. We included in that total those who were waiting for a bus. Even that shady guy standing in the parking lot. We passed multiple boarded up buildings with for lease signs on them.

When we entered Edmonton we attempted to have some Dim Sum. Our favorite place from the last 20 years was closed with a large for lease sign. This was repeated.

I gather you were driving and didn't have time to look around?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The retail outlets I interact with on a daily basis are doing numbers that are nearly breaking records, and have been throughout nearly the entire covid19 situation. Factor in some of the staffing challenges they are having right now, and the extra safety precautions they need to take, and its arguable that it's the busiest many of these businesses have ever been in history. I am sure they would find the idea of Edmonton looking like a ghost town to be rather hilarious.

So Walmart and Canadian Tire? Leons? Huge corporate stores? I'm pretty sure they closed small businesses for a time, but apparently they don't count?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
So Walmart and Canadian Tire? Leons? Huge corporate stores? I'm pretty sure they closed small businesses for a time, but apparently they don't count?

Nope. Not a big box store of any kind. You would be surprised who is absolutely killing it right now. A lot more people than you might think.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nope. Not a big box store of any kind. You would be surprised who is absolutely killing it right now. A lot more people than you might think.

I can only go by what I observe.

Were you not a proponent for staying at home to avoid Covid? Now you are telling us that you were going to multiple businesses daily despite the fact they were ordered to be closed?

You were leading a double life. ;)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I can only go by what I observe.

Were you not a proponent for staying at home to avoid Covid? Now you are telling us that you were going to multiple businesses daily despite the fact they were ordered to be closed?

You were leading a double life. ;)

I work with retail businesses and work entirely from home using remote software. Lots of assumptions on your end.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Covid is a huge factor. It's sad and yes it takes years to reach this level of neglect. Huge pot hole strewn streets. Crumbling infrastructure. We had to go to Sherwood park to see a worker cutting grass as the Edmonton run places are overgrown and an eyesore. Those immaculate, cement encased bike lanes must have cost hundreds of millions of dollars though.

Oh well. We spent around 7k and then left. We did our part.
Covid sure didn't help the cause, but there have been a lot of struggling businesses in this City. Covid just pretty much ended them sooner that expected.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Anyone else see a pattern here? Seems to me the Southern States are not doing so great.

EaripsrWAAEa7fc.jpeg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Covid sure didn't help the cause, but there have been a lot of struggling businesses in this City. Covid just pretty much ended them sooner that expected.
And there is a chance at getting a government buy out now, a convenient time to go belly up.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

It's the restaurants that are taking a beating.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

The retail outlets would be expected to have a little spike when they re-opened after being closed for weeks.

Restaurants are taking a beating because they could only open at 50% capacity. Not sure how many have moved to allowing 100% capacity.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The retail outlets would be expected to have a little spike when they re-opened after being closed for weeks.

Restaurants are taking a beating because they could only open at 50% capacity. Not sure how many have moved to allowing 100% capacity.

Restaurants aren't filling 5% capacity right now. Nobody is going to them.

We're going to start losing restaurants in Edmonton faster than we did in the lockdown because now they have overhead.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Restaurants aren't filling 5% capacity right now. Nobody is going to them.

I get the impulse to overstate in times like this, but the 5% figure doesn't reflect reality.

From the two restaurants I have eaten at, and a third I have gotten pickup from, since the lockdowns have opened it was much more than 5%.

Maybe I just happened to go to those places that are exceptions to the 5% capacity you speak of.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Yeah, the restaurant gig has such small margins as it is. Lots of people learning to bake bread, cook better meals at home, and make yummy treats though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad