OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A&W>Harvey's when it comes to chain burgers. Throw a side of their onion rings into the mix and there's not even a conversation.
Agreed. The Dub onion rings are unique and 2nd to noone.

Shame on them for discontinuing the Whistle Dog, though.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Did the city fire everyone that cuts grass this year? Bad enough that we need to drive around a depressed ghost town, with places boarded up all over, and roads that look like they've been bombed out, but to look at public areas and see public grass disguised as wheatfields that look like they haven't been touched since the 2nd week in May, is disgusting.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I know at least one person that had lyme disease and it sounds like it still affects her. She still works and contributes to society so she doesnt use it as a crutch but I dont see why shed lie about it?.. Is it not entirely possible that science just hasnt found/learned everything about it and its log term effects? I get siding with science, but science is always learning and what may not be known today could be known tomorrow.

Agree all day long. I think as a whole, our society way overestimates how "smart" our science actually is. We're essentially children trying to learn the extremely complex intricacies of our world/universe. Our knowledge and accomplishments really aren't as impressive as we'd like to think (I've been around University graduate research.... a lot of it can be really really "hacky" wishy washy work and under "great researchers/profs).

I mean even our covid testing has been put in question. Another poster had an article where 100% of those tested on day1 after infection tested false negative. And 67% STILL tested false neg on day 4. I don't remember but i think it only got as good as 38% false negs. Another study showed 20% false negs. So even with the conservative 20%.. for example today, we tested ~7000 people... only 49 positive... well according to 20% false neg it's potentially more like 1400 positive new cases in alberta today. But then again, who knows the efficacy of those studies talking about such high levels of false negs. At this point we're essentially a bit in over our head as far as real knowledge about this virus... and it might get more difficult as it potentially mutates.

Point is, we might not know how potentially permanently damaging or not this thing could be yet. I question why we are being as bold as we are at the govt level and some people in the society (with people gathering for parties, shinny hockey now etc) when we're only a few months into this. Heck, they just found out now that this virus might be able to get into your eye (i'm guessing either rubbing your eye with hands or maybe droplets?) and give you a bad case of pink eye. How do we know it won't permanently damage the eyes? Docs are now saying it could be a primary symptom.... the lady here caught it during a recent trip to China (eff WHY? at this time? At least stay there and don't bring back more crazy mutated strains to our community!). I think they even now spoke of healthcare workers having to wear goggles now too.

We really have no clue yet whether this thing could potentially give many who were infected permanent life altering effects. As the article said, this virus might just stay in the body and keep making you significantly ill over and over... each time damaging your body more and more (lungs, nerves, brain etc)... until you're really a shell of yourself after 5-10 years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Did the city fire everyone that cuts grass this year? Bad enough that we need to drive around a depressed ghost town, with places boarded up all over, and roads that look like they've been bombed out, but to look at public areas and see public grass disguised as wheatfields that look like they haven't been touched since the 2nd week in May, is disgusting.
Someone was cutting the grass at the school across the street from where I live yesterday. First time I’ve seen it done since last fall.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Interesting. I worked at an outfit where a Field guys wife had gotten Lymes at some point. As she was a bit "slow", he had to explain to us that it effected her mental capacity quite a bit differently than before Lymes. I would've never guessed something like Lymes had I not experienced the situation myself.

Ya i've gotten more cautious about trekking carelessly into the brush and woods through the years. Due to climate change, the ticks are becoming more and more prevalent up here in the great white north of Edmonton. Used to never have any here but in the last few years they are reporting an increasing number of them here and the type that carry the Lyme disease bacteria.

Reactions: Dorian2

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
ya kinda what the virus is doing, and i agree with the OP....PI$$ OFF ALREADY !!! :rant::eviltongu

If our govts were more on the ball at the beginning and if we all had strong discipline this might have been all over by now. But we're just not that as a global community. We make our own bed I guess.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
200 active cases in Edmonton out of 1 million, such a small number, prob wont get any smaller until a vaccine. The hospitals are still empty, no worries right now with reopening, should of been a couple months ago really.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Agree all day long. I think as a whole, our society way overestimates how "smart" our science actually is. We're essentially children trying to learn the extremely complex intricacies of our world/universe. Our knowledge and accomplishments really aren't as impressive as we'd like to think (I've been around University graduate research.... a lot of it can be really really "hacky" wishy washy work and under "great researchers/profs).

I mean even our covid testing has been put in question. Another poster had an article where 100% of those tested on day1 after infection tested false negative. And 67% STILL tested false neg on day 4. I don't remember but i think it only got as good as 38% false negs. Another study showed 20% false negs. So even with the conservative 20%.. for example today, we tested ~7000 people... only 49 positive... well according to 20% false neg it's potentially more like 1400 positive new cases in alberta today. But then again, who knows the efficacy of those studies talking about such high levels of false negs. At this point we're essentially a bit in over our head as far as real knowledge about this virus... and it might get more difficult as it potentially mutates.

Point is, we might not know how potentially permanently damaging or not this thing could be yet. I question why we are being as bold as we are at the govt level and some people in the society (with people gathering for parties, shinny hockey now etc) when we're only a few months into this. Heck, they just found out now that this virus might be able to get into your eye (i'm guessing either rubbing your eye with hands or maybe droplets?) and give you a bad case of pink eye. How do we know it won't permanently damage the eyes? Docs are now saying it could be a primary symptom.... the lady here caught it during a recent trip to China (eff WHY? at this time? At least stay there and don't bring back more crazy mutated strains to our community!). I think they even now spoke of healthcare workers having to wear goggles now too.

We really have no clue yet whether this thing could potentially give many who were infected permanent life altering effects. As the article said, this virus might just stay in the body and keep making you significantly ill over and over... each time damaging your body more and more (lungs, nerves, brain etc)... until you're really a shell of yourself after 5-10 years.

Don't think you can apply the false negative to the test results like that.

Just for the sake of argument, say you have 100 people out of 7000 that actually have COVID-19 with the following stages of incubation:

20 are 1 day in
20 are 2 days in
20 are 3 days in
20 are 4 days in
20 are 5 days in

You would get results something like

4 positive of 1 day people
6 positive of 2 day people
9 positive of 3 day people
13 positive of 4 day people
17 positive of 5 day people

that would be 49 positives.

I would guess the people tests that are actually positive would be slanted more towards being later in incubation and with symptoms as well, which would help you actually catch a greater amount of the actual infections among the 7000, so that 100 number of infected in the testing pool could be lower to get 49 positives.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Best burger I ever had was at a hotel called Wilson's retreat on Gili Island in Indonesia. Second best burger I've had is at a chain restaurant in Brazil called Madero. Still haven't found a burger that I'm addicted to in Edmonton.

Best burger I ever had was in Prince Edward Island. Wife n I pulled into a ma n pa type place just off the highway. Their beef came from their cattle herd in the field across the road. It was so lean an oh so succulent and juicy. They farmed their own potatoes for the French fries too. It was right up there for one of our best experiences of mastication of all time

Bangers

May 31, 2006
For mass-produced chain burgers, I'd say Carl's Jr. is probably the best. Which is too bad because I won't eat there due to their CEO being a vile POS.

"Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr., f**k you, I'm eating."
- Idiocracy (but not that inaccurate)

On the subject of Edmonton restaurants (and having worked in the industry when I was younger), seriously, screw them. I worked at high-end and mid-range restaurants where product cost was under 10-15% of the sticker price, as restaurant owners would use tips as a way to cut costs and not pay their staff a decent rate (on top of all of the other shady staffing practices restaurants engaged in, like doubling their staff for patio season then sending half of them home without paying wages if demand didn't materialize).

I get that property/rent and overhead increased significantly during the oil boom, but that boom is long gone and rents and overhead should reflect that. Also, with a higher minimum wage, customers should no longer be 'required' to double the GST on a bill on top of paying $200-300 for a family of 4 for food that costs the restaurant under $30 to make.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For mass-produced chain burgers, I'd say Carl's Jr. is probably the best. Which is too bad because I won't eat there due to their CEO being a vile POS.

"Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr. Carl's Jr., f**k you, I'm eating."

On the subject of Edmonton restaurants (and having worked in the industry when I was younger), seriously, screw them. I worked at high-end and mid-range restaurants where product cost was under 10-15% of the sticker price, as restaurant owners would use tips as a way to cut costs and not pay their staff a decent rate (on top of all of the other shady staffing practices restaurants engaged in, like doubling their staff for patio season then sending half of them home without paying wages if demand didn't materialize).

I get that property/rent and overhead increased significantly during the oil boom, but that boom is long gone and rents and overhead should reflect that. Also, with a higher minimum wage, customers should no longer be 'required' to double the GST on a bill on top of paying $200-300 for a family of 4 for food that costs the restaurant under $30 to make.

I used to like Carls Jr. but it has gone downhill here at least. If you guys ever make it out to Hawaii try Teddys Bigger Burgers.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
why not? that was the entire point of flattening the curve

I think by the end of this people will end up concluding that there is a saturation point of infected people where viral loading (how much virus you are exposed to during the incubation period, which is proportional to how many infectious people there are in the population) where you start to see an increase of bad infections that need hospitalizations in the non-"care home" population. That would be the breaking point that you need to keep the population below to avoid an out of control ramp up of hospitalizations.

What that % of infected population is? Who knows at this point. Could we calculate it even if we wanted to? Probably not yet either. Could the concept of viral load be explained properly to the general population? Probably no as well, we can't even get a consistent message out about the effectiveness of masks.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I seem to get sick after I eat Carls Jr. I like the taste but I stopped eating there because of that. I used to work at a few restaurants when i was younger. The Millwoods BPs probably had the cheapest owners that I've worked for. They would make the servers pay for dine and dashes and only give you up to $3.75 off of your staff meal and you couldn't get a discount on chicken breasts. My cousin worked for Buffet World and they would make the servers wait without getting paid in the dining room until they got busy. Some people would sit there for hours without getting paid then get sent home.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Cost savings + COVID. Cutting grass is far from an essential service so they have put it on pause for the foreseeable future.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
2020-06-19-08-22-47-Window.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->