OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Personally I’d like to see none of that.
That will never happen. ‘Cardboard cards’ can be faked very easily which would defeat the whole purpose. Your globalist overlords will never go for that. It’s going to be a chipped credit card, or more likely biochips. And if you think the information contained will be confined to vaccination status you’re dreaming. I guess some people really are OK with a big brother state.

Or you know, they're foil and hard to counterfit - like BUS PASSES.

It doesn't matter. I'm not going to have an argument with anyone who talks about my "globalist overlords".

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To each their own. Teaching them to be good people is a good start. However if they say something innocent that is twisted and used to put them at a disadvantage in life that is complete BS. We may not quite be there yet, but give it 5-10 years at the rate that we are going as a society.
I mean if they say something innocent that is twisted and they are actually a good person and doesn't act a tool when called out on it, they won't be put at a disadvantage. Honest good people aren't the ones "getting cancelled". People keep saying they are but no one has shown me a single instance of that

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Wonderful.

Shows the benefit at least of farmed animals vs people getting wild stuff :) WHO and other organizations from around the world can actually get eyes on this early. Fingers crossed it doesn't get out. Probably should be wiping out the pig populations that it's found in, but I doubt that happens.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean if they say something innocent that is twisted and they are actually a good person and doesn't act a tool when called out on it, they won't be put at a disadvantage. Honest good people aren't the ones "getting cancelled". People keep saying they are but no one has shown me a single instance of that

The reality is that everyone has done or said something in their lives that they arent or shouldnt be proud of. And it is getting to the point that everything is so ridiculous that nothing would surprise me anymore.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The reality is that everyone has done or said something in their lives that they arent or shouldnt be proud of. And it is getting to the point that everything is so ridiculous that nothing would surprise me anymore.
People say it's getting to the point but my other point still stands. Show me one instance of a good person who has gotten cancelled because of innocent past comments?

You know what usually happens. Someone says something dumb in the past, they get called out. They try and defend their comments or attack the people who are calling them out, or they double down. The people who have said shitty things, got called out on it and have honestly apologized and haven't been like that since are fine. The closest I can see of that happening was Joss Whedon but he has actually come ahead better than he did before.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People say it's getting to the point but my other point still stands. Show me one instance of a good person who has gotten cancelled because of innocent past comments?

You know what usually happens. Someone says something dumb in the past, they get called out. They try and defend their comments or attack the people who are calling them out, or they double down. The people who have said shitty things, got called out on it and have honestly apologized and haven't been like that since are fine. The closest I can see of that happening was Joss Whedon but he has actually come ahead better than he did before.

I dont keep a running tally but people crying about what was said 20 or 30 years ago is pretty damn ridiculous IMO unless it was particularly bad.

Reactions: joestevens29

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Cancel culture has always existed. What will get you canceled has just changed (for the better).

I personally think it's much more just that someone like Christon Jones, who posts homophobic nonsense on twitter in pride month for no damn reason, loses his job than the Dixie Chicks lose their careers for criticizing the Iraq War. Better an army of sexual abusers get dropped by their agents than Sinead O'Connor lose her career because she dared criticize a pope who tells Africans not to wear condoms in the middle of an AIDS pandemic.

Nobody is getting "canceled" for shit they used to think.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If China purposely releases a virus you do realize that it would not at all be beneficial to China right? That's how you either start a World War or get your economy destroyed by the rest of the world.

Is their economy destroyed currently? We have heard a lot of tough talk by a handful of countries but I havent heard anything specific yet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is their economy destroyed currently? We have heard a lot of tough talk by a handful of countries but I havent heard anything specific yet.
Because they didn't purposely releases a virus. If China purposely sends a virus around the world like he was suggesting that's a literal act of war.

Reactions: SK13

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Cancel culture has always existed. What will get you canceled has just changed (for the better).

I personally think it's much more just that someone like Christon Jones, who posts homophobic nonsense on twitter in pride month for no damn reason, loses his job than the Dixie Chicks lose their careers for criticizing the Iraq War. Better an army of sexual abusers get dropped by their agents than Sinead O'Connor lose her career because she dared criticize a pope who tells Africans not to wear condoms in the middle of an AIDS pandemic.

Nobody is getting "canceled" for shit they used to think.

What Jones did was idiotic, theres no sticking up for that.

IMO Kimmel doing Karl Malone skits 20ish years ago and facing the heat for it is ridiculous when there is a well known politician that did the same. I think that blackface is wrong and immoral but IMO comedians should have a wider brush to paint with as long as its done in fun. If it was seen as very offensive to African Americans back then then it should have been brought up then.

Reactions: joestevens29

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I dont keep a running tally but people crying about what was said 20 or 30 years ago is pretty damn ridiculous IMO unless it was particularly bad.
Yeah 20-30 years ago yeah. And unless it was particularly bad nothing happens. If you are in the public eye people will ALWAYS try to find ways to bring you down, it's been happening for decades. The difference usually is if the person clearly isn't like that anymore nothing happens. Stuff only tends to happen to people like politicians who say bad stuff years ago, they "apologize" and then you look at their recent voting record and it calls bullshit on that apology.

Only people who are really getting shut down for their past are people who were sexually assaulting people or pedophiles. Which, I'm way okay with

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Their actions or lack there of were about as bad as can be outside of purposely releasing the virus IMO.
They did mess up bad but there is a large difference between purposely releasing the virus and just being complacent. Especially on the world leaders side.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah 20-30 years ago yeah. And unless it was particularly bad nothing happens. If you are in the public eye people will ALWAYS try to find ways to bring you down, it's been happening for decades. The difference usually is if the person clearly isn't like that anymore nothing happens. Stuff only tends to happen to people like politicians who say bad stuff years ago, they "apologize" and then you look at their recent voting record and it calls bullshit on that apology.

Only people who are really getting shut down for their past are people who were sexually assaulting people or pedophiles. Which, I'm way okay with

I guess maybe Ive been reading too much Facebook lately.

I have no sympathy for those groups either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They did mess up bad but there is a large difference between purposely releasing the virus and just being complacent. Especially on the world leaders side.

I wouldnt use the word complacent, more like methodical in terms of acquiring PPE while bold face lying to the rest of the world and sending their citizens out into the world when they shouldve been quarantined.

Reactions: harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess maybe Ive been reading too much Facebook lately.

I have no sympathy for those groups either.
I deleted Facebook because the amount of bullshit lies from both sides of the political spectrum there is insane.

When it comes to "cancel culture" I look at each instance in the following way. How recent? Was it off handed comments or actual pointed comments? Is the person actively still like that? When called out did the person go "sorry I understand that I shouldn't of said that, I've changed and no longer like that." Or do they go "f*** you my freespeech!!!!"

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It's almost as though privatizing health care (of any sort) is a bad idea. When the product being sold is someone's life (which is in exceedingly low supply), its hard to exercise consumer choice.
Seems that it has more to do with republicans and democrats being bought off by the industry. Maybe they should vote a third option.
Yes. A loosening of restrictions. You're welcome.
Especially the really loose part.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I deleted Facebook because the amount of bullshit lies from both sides of the political spectrum there is insane.

When it comes to "cancel culture" I look at each instance in the following way. How recent? Was it off handed comments or actual pointed comments? Is the person actively still like that? When called out did the person go "sorry I understand that I shouldn't of said that, I've changed and no longer like that." Or do they go "f*** you my freespeech!!!!"

Probably a good idea, it is sickening all of the double standard BS that I see on there.

If they feel that they werent wrong and didnt do it out of hate then why should they apologize? Times change, what was acceptable/normal 30 years ago might not be now. But for people that didnt live in those times to crucify people that did for things that were totally acceptable then IMO its BS.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

IMO Kimmel doing Karl Malone skits 20ish years ago and facing the heat for it is ridiculous when there is a well known politician that did the same. I think that blackface is wrong and immoral but IMO comedians should have a wider brush to paint with as long as its done in fun. If it was seen as very offensive to African Americans back then then it should have been brought up then.

Kimmel isn't "canceled" though. He apologized for ignorance and we move on. Same with Fallon, and the creators of Scrubs and It's Always Sunny and even Justin Trudeau.

When people concern troll about "cancel culture", I always have the same question. Who in the public eye has lost their job for doing something that isn't clearly meriting it?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems that it has more to do with republicans and democrats being bought off by the industry. Maybe they should vote a third option.

Especially the really loose part.
The Republicans and Democrats were easily bought off by the healthcare industry cause they let them get as huge as they were. It's absolutely baffling that a country can have a higher per capita percent of their taxes going to healthcare than most places yet still people have to have extremely expensive private insurance. Less baffling when you look at the profits the healthcare industry rakes in.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I mean yeah, it's brought up and moved on.

There is a trend right now of some far right people in the states being mad at people like Kimmel for doing that shit 20 years ago, mad that Kimmel is calling out racism now and are trying to use "cancel culture" against them. Which they are learning is backfiring except they get to use it to call the movement "hypocritical".

And comedians do have a broader stroke to paint with, as long as they are able to adapt to current times and know what is no longer acceptable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kimmel isn't "canceled" though. He apologized for ignorance and we move on. Same with Fallon, and the creators of Scrubs and It's Always Sunny and even Justin Trudeau.

When people concern troll about "cancel culture", I always have the same question. Who in the public eye has lost their job for doing something that isn't clearly meriting it?

Let me ask you this then, is the outrage warranted? For Trudeau or any political leader you want someone that is fair, non racist, intelligent, etc. for a comedian I want laughs and entertainment. I hold the politician to a higher standard since his actions could affect everyone in his/her country. Ultimately if you were a groping, raping, molesting piece of crap then by all means you should be called out on it. If you were a racist and still show legit racist tendencies, again fair game. If you make some jokes that were acceptable or at least not controversial at the time then who seriously should gaf? People are trying too hard to crap on people that they dont like. Its not like everyone that watched the Man Show forgot about the skits, its just that one sjw that likely didnt like Kimmel decided to try and end his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad