OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean yeah, it's brought up and moved on.

There is a trend right now of some far right people in the states being mad at people like Kimmel for doing that shit 20 years ago, mad that Kimmel is calling out racism now and are trying to use "cancel culture" against them. Which they are learning is backfiring except they get to use it to call the movement "hypocritical".

And comedians do have a broader stroke to paint with, as long as they are able to adapt to current times and know what is no longer acceptable.

I dont think that people on the far right would give a crap about that TBH but I could be wrong. People that are too extreme one way or another tend to lead to many of the issues as there is no reasoning with them or compromise.

Exactly how I feel.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Let me ask you this then, is the outrage warranted? For Trudeau or any political leader you want someone that is fair, non racist, intelligent, etc. for a comedian I want laughs and entertainment. I hold the politician to a higher standard since his actions could affect everyone in his/her country. Ultimately if you were a groping, raping, molesting piece of crap then by all means you should be called out on it. If you were a racist and still show legit racist tendencies, again fair game. If you make some jokes that were acceptable or at least not controversial at the time then who seriously should gaf? People are trying too hard to crap on people that they dont like. Its not like everyone that watched the Man Show forgot about the skits, its just that one sjw that likely didnt like Kimmel decided to try and end his career.
It's not SJW that are trying to cancel people like Kimmel. It's Alt-Right people. Just like the James Gunn. James Gunn had said some gross messed up jokes over a decade ago, I forget the name but he called out some alt right guy so the alt right guy tried to turn the "sjw" against him. Disney overreacted and fired him but the general consensus was, it was a long time ago, he is currently not like that and doing good. He ended up getting rehired.

Same with Jimmy Kimmel, he has been a vocal supporter of BLM, which pissed off some Alt-Right guy so he brought it up to try and turn the "sjw" against him.

Now the thing with comedians and making jokes is, joking about shit normalizes it. When it's done enough people start saying that stuff like it's no big deal in their daily lives and hide behind the "it's a joke". Comedy is supposed to reflect the times. Also comedians shouldn't be punching down either, most of the greats agree there too

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ben Kinsley should be under fire for playing Gandhi (he was good in it lol)

The bottom line is that there is no shortage of material for people to bitch about if their main goal in life is to bitch, moan and make other peoples lives as miserable as theirs. Mind your own business unless someone does something to affect you, those around you, etc., be kind to others, do what is right and be thankful for what you have in life. Too many people have too damn much time on their hands IMO.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Let me ask you this then, is the outrage warranted? For Trudeau or any political leader you want someone that is fair, non racist, intelligent, etc. for a comedian I want laughs and entertainment. I hold the politician to a higher standard since his actions could affect everyone in his/her country. Ultimately if you were a groping, raping, molesting piece of crap then by all means you should be called out on it. If you were a racist and still show legit racist tendencies, again fair game. If you make some jokes that were acceptable or at least not controversial at the time then who seriously should gaf? People are trying too hard to crap on people that they dont like. Its not like everyone that watched the Man Show forgot about the skits, its just that one sjw that likely didnt like Kimmel decided to try and end his career.

No, it wasn't some "SJW" that went after Jimmy Kimmel. It was Donald Trump Jr.

The history of blackface and why it is offensive was not commonly known, especially by white people, 10-20 years ago. When they apologize for their ignorance, the communities have seemingly accepted those apologies. The only people kicking up a fuss about this are people being called out for current, in your face racism that are you trying to turn the tables on their critics by saying, see, you're a hypocrite.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes those guy had such a big problem that the current smaller problem looks good.
I mean that was the whole purpose of flattening the curve and have a slow careful reopening with social distancing and masks.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yes those guy had such a big problem that the current smaller problem looks good.

Indeed. They have taken proper precautions, and even with massive protests in their states, they are doing quite well. it gives us some good insight into what the reasons are. The data we have now is making is clearer every day that the protests did not cause a large spike in cases.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Indeed. They have taken proper precautions, and even with massive protests in their states, they are doing quite well. it gives us some good insight into what the reasons are. The data we have now is making is clearer every day that the protests did not cause a large spike in cases.
Masks seem to be helping greatly in crowds like that

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I think that is very hard to say. I think it’s more likely that the populations “protesting” are less likely to worry about and get tested for the illness.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I think that is very hard to say. I think it’s more likely that the populations “protesting” are less likely to worry about and get tested for the illness.

It's not that hard to say at all. With every passing day, and every additional piece of data we get from the various states, the picture is becoming increasingly clear.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The reality is that everyone has done or said something in their lives that they arent or shouldnt be proud of. And it is getting to the point that everything is so ridiculous that nothing would surprise me anymore.

Couple weeks ago there was a false news meme about the George Orwell statue being taken down from the BBC headquarters in London. The thing is, in current times, and while the Churchill statue was constantly being vandalized and statues toppled everywhere, it was so believable. So believable that it could actually occur in this climate. I was relieved it hadn't occurred, but they had me going.

lol that in SF a Christopher Columbus statue had to be taken down by authorities for fear that it was going to be thrown into the Bay, as several had threatened. For some vague reason that really defies description.

Cancel culture isn't real? The renaming of parks, toppling of statues, throwing out books, movies because they don't measure up to todays invoked standards is constant. AS is rewriting of history.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Outdoors and with masks. The effect was liking minimal in almost all cases. I don't think people can picture how much interaction occurs after reopening. Millions of people going about their business, having parties indoors, many in the USA acting like the virus doesn't exist because the leaders they worship tell them so. Talking hundreds of millions of interactions and chances to touch similar surfaces and the breath air in same immediate area every day. The protests are literally a drop in the bucket.

But, i do get why some of a certain political inclination down south are quick to blame everything on the protests.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
It's not that hard to say at all. With every passing day, and every additional piece of data we get from the various states, the picture is becoming increasingly clear.
I agree it’s not hard to say. In fact I might describe it as glib.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Outdoors and with masks. The effect was liking minimal in almost all cases. I don't think people can picture how much interaction occurs after reopening. Millions of people going about their business, having parties indoors, many in the USA acting like the virus doesn't exist because the leaders they worship tell them so. Talking hundreds of millions of interactions and chances to touch similar surfaces and the breath air in same immediate area every day. The protests are literally a drop in the bucket.

But, i do get why some of a certain political inclination down south are quick to blame everything on the protests.

I think it was entirely reasonable to think it could cause issues, and a lot of people were anxiously waiting as the days ticked by, unsure what we would find. I understand the frustration of seeing big protests, while people are being told they can't go golfing. It is crazy.

But we have had lots of time, and lots of data points, and thankfully the protests do not seem to be the cause of a large spike in cases.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it was entirely reasonable to think it could cause issues, and a lot of people were anxiously waiting as the days ticked by, unsure what we would find. I understand the frustration of seeing big protests, while people are being told they can't go golfing. It is crazy.

But we have had lots of time, and lots of data points, and thankfully the protests do not seem to be the cause of a large spike in cases.
If anything the protests proved that masks are effective.

Its baffling to me how many people scream open back up! And one of the responses is, okay if we all wear masks we can open up more and limit the harm of Covid. But apparently that's way to much. They rather people die than have to have their "rights to not wear a mask" infringed upon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mean if they say something innocent that is twisted and they are actually a good person and doesn't act a tool when called out on it, they won't be put at a disadvantage. Honest good people aren't the ones "getting cancelled". People keep saying they are but no one has shown me a single instance of that

Because its a silly question and any instance of name given will result in either attempted rebuke, or refutation on where someone stands grounds.

Local former police chief Rod Knecht would be an example. Solid individual, exemplary record, but conflict suddenly, due to changes in personnel, and approach, of the Edmonton Police Commission.

JK Rowling would be a hilariously ironic example. Cancelled by the same living in fantasy generation she did so much to help create. Proof positive the world can turn on anybody and for any reason really.

Don Cherry. Not defending him, not defending the statement, but it was not unlike many others he'd been making for 30 or more years. What changed was the presence of Cancel Culture. With his boring sidekick, who owes his whole career to him, not defending him but helping bury him.

Wendy Mesley. For not even saying something on air, but in the confines of a not too discrete boardroom where instead the knives came out. I can only presumably think because somebody else was fishing for her job. I mean in todays CBC Barbara Frum would probably be fired for voicing honesty. RIP.

Last week in Edmonton a school trustee got punted for defending the use of Police in schools and citing carelessly that some of the problem is that some immigrant children from wartorn countries are predisposed to violence. (she's not wrong) Now heres the thing. Agree or disagree, the comment could have been contained. Instead it was hilited and raised to media profile.

Series of actors like Scarlet Johansson, Sarah Silverman, Dave Chapelle.

But as with any list what will occur immediately in response is jeering refutation of any list, and any individuals contained on a list. Thus completing the cycle of cancel culture in which individual can't even be defended without attack ensuing.

go

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, it wasn't some "SJW" that went after Jimmy Kimmel. It was Donald Trump Jr.

The history of blackface and why it is offensive was not commonly known, especially by white people, 10-20 years ago. When they apologize for their ignorance, the communities have seemingly accepted those apologies. The only people kicking up a fuss about this are people being called out for current, in your face racism that are you trying to turn the tables on their critics by saying, see, you're a hypocrite.

bs When Trudeau was prancing about in Blackface at a College, or even in his tenure as a Drama teacher several of the attendees at that time were noting how inappropriate his attire and makeup was. It was inappropriate then. Its attempts at rewriting history, by those who would give such figures blanket excuses.

I could post any of several links here that would be inappropriate in context, regarding JT, who you would defend resolutely as "he didn't know any better" or "it wasn't any concern at the time"

Its the inconsistency of application and selective usage and attack that most people are spotting as incongruent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad