OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
What’s your thoughts on the prices of insulin in the states?
No idea, I don’t control such things but I understand that people working for themselves produces prosperity. And if they are asking for a lot of money, people must have it and nobody can supply it cheaper. But realistically, it’s probably government imposed.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No idea, I don’t control such things but I understand that people working for themselves produces prosperity. And if they are asking for a lot of money, people must have it and nobody can supply it cheaper.
...... People can't supply it cheaper because patent laws make it impossible to do so. The thing is, it's very easy to supply it cheaper. They don't solely because of greed. But I guess you are okay with greedy rich corporations making people suffer for their bottom line.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
...... People can't supply it cheaper because patent laws make it impossible to do so. The thing is, it's very easy to supply it cheaper. They don't solely because of greed. But I guess you are okay with greedy rich corporations making people suffer for their bottom line.

Do you own a smart phone? Do you have coverage? Do you have internet, TV. Do you pay copiously for any of those things and for something completely unnecessary that does next to nothing for you, or most people, ultimately.

R&D costs on new drugs are off the charts. Its extremely expensive to develop something like this in short order with the world clamoring for it faster faster faster. Its extremely expensive to scale out production to reasonable levels once everything has been validated, tested endlessly etc.

But the last cost, and I know you didn't even think of this for a second is that being first out with a Vaccine or treatment for a completely unknown condition, there are immense liabilities and prohibitive costs with this. If the treatments, vaccine, for Covid-19 ends up harming patients it means lawsuits, it means class action suits. Yeah I know you'll be hating pharma even more then..

Everything is built into the price due to the immense costs and liability involved. yeah but I know you want your treatment free with a Big Mac and it should fall out of the sky like manna from heaven.

Costs WILL go down as manufacturing is streamed to bigger scale, as there are more guaranteed buyers, as there is competition, and as there are more knowns about how the medication is performing, side effects, risks etc. Ideally pharma would want to test and run trials for a much longer period of time. This is not an ideal situation, far from it. Exorbitant initial price points serve the purpose as well of there being a shortlist of initial users, and thus less of a class action suit if disaster occurs on first batches rolled out.

Reactions: harpoon

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Patent laws make it come into existence. How cheap is something that doesn’t exist? Tell you what, illl sell you some magic beans for 10dollars.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The laws on medications are incredibly convoluted in a lot of countries. I completely understand the need to incentivize companies to do the hard (and expensive!) work that is required to come up with big breakthroughs. It's not realistic to expect these companies to do all of that and then give their drug away for free. On the flip side, it's also pretty monstrous to expect people to just die, or have horrible quality of life, if they cannot afford the drug. So then there are drug plans that pay for these drugs, but since the real cost of the drug is sort of handwaved away since it's being paid for by someone else, the cost of health care starts going through the roof in many areas. It's an ugly situation that is incredibly difficult to find a good solution to. Companies need to make money to be incentivized to do the research. People need access to the drugs. It's a tough balance. Throw in patents running out, and companies tweaking drugs to make them 0.05% more effective, which then bumps them up into the suggested by doctor territory just as the old drugs come off patent and could be made generic for WAY cheaper, and it's an cut throat world that is making billions of dollars and has greed oozing all over it.

All of that being said, a little compassion wouldn't kill people.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Do you own a smart phone? Do you have coverage? Do you have internet, TV. Do you pay copiously for any of those things and for something completely unnecessary that does next to nothing for you, or most people, ultimately.

R&D costs on new drugs are off the charts. Its extremely expensive to develop something like this in short order with the world clamoring for it faster faster faster. Its extremely expensive to scale out production to reasonable levels once everything has been validated, tested endlessly etc.

But the last cost, and I know you didn't even think of this for a second is that being first out with a Vaccine or treatment for a completely unknown condition, there are immense liabilities and prohibitive costs with this. If the treatments, vaccine, for Covid-19 ends up harming patients it means lawsuits, it means class action suits. Yeah I know you'll be hating pharma even more then..

Everything is built into the price due to the immense costs and liability involved. yeah but I know you want your treatment free with a Big Mac and it should fall out of the sky like manna from heaven.

Costs WILL go down as manufacturing is streamed to bigger scale, as there are more guaranteed buyers, as there is competition, and as there are more knowns about how the medication is performing, side effects, risks etc. Ideally pharma would want to test and run trials for a much longer period of time. This is not an ideal situation, far from it. Exorbitant initial price points serve the purpose as well of there being a shortlist of initial users, and thus less of a class action suit if disaster occurs on first batches rolled out.
It's absolutely unsurprising that you would be defending pharmaceutical companies that are known for price gouging simply because they can.

Especially Gilead who has been sued numerous times for it. People have been hurt. They have purposely delayed a drug just to make more money off it. Make BILLIONS in pure profit a yeah and oh yeah. They were given nearly $80 million USD by the government to develop this drug and are price gouging on it a ridiculous amount.

But I mean, daddy needs another yacht.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The laws on medications are incredibly convoluted in a lot of countries. I completely understand the need to incentivize companies to do the hard (and expensive!) work that is required to come up with big breakthroughs. It's not realistic to expect these companies to do all of that and then give their drug away for free. On the flip side, it's also pretty monstrous to expect people to just die, or have horrible quality of life, if they cannot afford the drug. So then there are drug plans that pay for these drugs, but since the real cost of the drug is sort of handwaved away since it's being paid for by someone else, the cost of health care starts going through the roof in many areas. It's an ugly situation that is incredibly difficult to find a good solution to. Companies need to make money to be incentivized to do the research. People need access to the drugs. It's a tough balance. Throw in patents running out, and companies tweaking drugs to make them 0.05% more effective, which then bumps them up into the suggested by doctor territory just as the old drugs come off patent and could be made generic for WAY cheaper, and it's an cut throat world that is making billions of dollars and has greed oozing all over it.

All of that being said, a little compassion wouldn't kill people.
A little compassion means one less yacht for their collection. How dare you suggest that they don't need that extra yacht to survive.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Personally, I'd like to see vaccinations mandatory for all school children to attend public school and proof of vaccination requirements to get into arenas, amusement parks, major tourist traps, national parks, etc. Leave it up to the business owners and employers whether or not they require proof of vaccination
Personally I’d like to see none of that.
which could be as a simple as a cardboard card like a bus pass.
That will never happen. ‘Cardboard cards’ can be faked very easily which would defeat the whole purpose. Your globalist overlords will never go for that. It’s going to be a chipped credit card, or more likely biochips. And if you think the information contained will be confined to vaccination status you’re dreaming. I guess some people really are OK with a big brother state.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
George Orwell right again, this time
Animal farm coming to get us...

(yes board warriors, I know Animal Farm isn't about Animals, its symbolic..)

I feel like I have to explain jokes on the board now. Somebody might be harmed..

Animal Farm my ass.

xfesKUc.jpg

Reactions: Senor Catface

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
It's absolutely unsurprising that you would be defending pharmaceutical companies that are known for price gouging simply because they can.

Especially Gilead who has been sued numerous times for it. People have been hurt. They have purposely delayed a drug just to make more money off it. Make BILLIONS in pure profit a yeah and oh yeah. They were given nearly $80 million USD by the government to develop this drug and are price gouging on it a ridiculous amount.

But I mean, daddy needs another yacht.

It's almost as though privatizing health care (of any sort) is a bad idea. When the product being sold is someone's life (which is in exceedingly low supply), its hard to exercise consumer choice.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes, as society changes, so the types of comments that you can say, also change. In 20 years I can only imagine the things you won't be able to say. I suspect I will not understand some of them. I can either kick and scream about it or adjust and realize that culture changes I guess.

Or you can take a stand for what you feel is right and try to make sure that the world your children, nieces, nephews, etc. live in isn't a steaming pile of cow dung.

Wonderful.

This Fall, coming to a city near you, Pandemic 2 Xi's Electric Boogaloo.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Or you can take a stand for what you feel is right and try to make sure that the world your children, nieces, nephews, etc. live in isn't a steaming pile of cow dung.

I guess I don't see a world in which I might have to watch what I say, and take care with my actions, even for things I might deem silly at times, to be a steaming pile of cow dung.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess I don't see a world in which I might have to watch what I say, and take care with my actions, even for things I might deem silly at times, to be a steaming pile of cow dung.

To each their own. Teaching them to be good people is a good start. However if they say something innocent that is twisted and used to put them at a disadvantage in life that is complete BS. We may not quite be there yet, but give it 5-10 years at the rate that we are going as a society.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It looks like, if I am understanding this correctly, that we do import a little of "regular" pork from China, but a lot of "offal" pork from China.

Canadian Pork imports - Industry information - Canada Pork International

But no matter what, we will absolutely import pandemic grade diseases from them, or anyone else who has one. We don't even have to order it. Comes for free.

I just hope that if/when another pandemic from China or anywhere else pops up that the government of that country will be more forthcoming to the rest of the global community than China was with Covid. I would also hope that the world would be more prepared for it after Covid but Im not holding my breath for that to be the case.

Reactions: joestevens29

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I just hope that if/when another pandemic from China or anywhere else pops up that the government of that country will be more forthcoming to the rest of the global community than China was with Covid. I would also hope that the world would be more prepared for it after Covid but Im not holding my breath for that to be the case.

Agreed on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad