OT: Coronavirus - Start Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
This is just another case of media fear mongering. I'm not the least bit worried about this virus. Even if I do get it, my body will fight it off because I'm still relatively young. Senior citizens and children are at most risk. Everyone calm down, this is not the apocalypse.

I wouldn’t say children are at risk of death. It would be difficult for them to endure, but child fatality is not more likely than young/middle aged adults.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
No need to panic, BUT....

This thing is still pretty new and spreading quickly. So a small percentage of a whole lot of people is ...(thinks, carries the 3).... a whole lot of people. If you're under 50, it's "less likely" which would be an ironic thing to have engraved on your tombstone.

So....

Do wash your hands more.
Drink more water.
Lay in supplies for a week or so in case you get quarantined. These supplies are not for months to wait out the apocalypse.

And...

Get more hot sauce. Cover yourself if attacked by zombies (they hate it); cover others if we end up resorting to cannibalism.

Oh - now there's been a death from coronavirus in the US. Washington State. So it's real.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I wouldn’t say children are at risk of death. It would be difficult for them to endure, but child fatality is not more likely than young/middle aged adults.

Children are more susceptile than young/middle aged adults. A healthy child's immune system is not as good as a healthy adult's.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
This is just another case of media fear mongering. I'm not the least bit worried about this virus. Even if I do get it, my body will fight it off because I'm still relatively young. Senior citizens and children are at most risk. Everyone calm down, this is not the apocalypse.

well let's not worry about our children or our parents, so long as YOU are okay that's all that matters, right?

Reactions: Kurtz

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Yeah the biggest issue is we are too reliant on supplies from China. With China effective shut down now for 2 weeks supplies will get more limited to buy at places like Walmart. The reason the markets are down is this. Only 3-4 percent of people who get Coronavirus die. Most are sick as hell for a week and then recover. But do go get your supplies as soon as you can especially in Vancouver and Toronto. There is a reason why Trump had a press conference on it. The antivirus is still at least 6 months away. God help everyone. and GLG.
The fatality rate is 2%, consistent in China and Italy now.

Of those 2% who perish, 80% were the elderly and/or had preexisting conditions.

Those stats send a strong message. The old people and sick, who happen to get coronavirus probably will not survive.

For someone young and healthy, who cares. But what about our parents or grandparents, or if we are in that age group?

Coronvirus symptoms are not noticeable in many cases. The virus can be passed by anyone. You do not know who has it. Even dogs carry the COVID-19 now.

This is very real and very serious for those who are old.

So everyone should take some precaution, for our older Leafs fans, and non-Leafs fans.

:)

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Lol people realize the death rate from Corona virus is around 0.2% for people under 40 right?

Educate yourselves

Too many folks caught up in paycheck to paycheck - buy the media hysterics.

One must always ask who benefits.

When the media pumps this fear mongering Covid more than all the Swine flu, ebola, Mers, Mad cow, staph in food COMBINED.

Apart from Mask companies and Purell who just made 5 to 10 x profit.

As someone earlier posted... DOW, TSX and stocks worldwide went bearish. Buy time IS NOW

As people go sell sell sell. Some go buy buy buy.

World war and the Rockefellers remind anyone of similar rhetoric LOL

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
we have 4 kids, and we went out for lunch earlier today.

just to be safe, we were all wearing face masks - better safe than sorry.

we flipped up the mask to take a bite, then flipped down again while chewing/swallowing. don't want to mess around with this.

yeah we got some strange looks but who cares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advanced stats

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Children are more susceptile than young/middle aged adults. A healthy child's immune system is not as good as a healthy adult's.

I didn’t say they were more/less susceptible.

Mortality is the outcome. Based on crude fatality rates, there is no evidence to suggest that children are more likely to die from the virus. It’s a crude measure and could be skewed as children are less likely to be in social settings where the risk of contraction is high.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
It's just numbers, stats.

Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year: Study
Flu Kills 646,000 People Worldwide Each Year: Study

Covid-19 is very contagious and has a mortality rate of 10x or 20x the flu.

If we just go by what we know of the flu, that could mean 10 million will perish from Covid-19. That's still is a lot of people checking out in a couple of months.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

One must always ask who benefits.

When the media pumps this fear mongering Covid more than all the Swine flu, ebola, Mers, Mad cow, staph in food COMBINED.

Apart from Mask companies and Purell who just made 5 to 10 x profit.

As someone earlier posted... DOW, TSX and stocks worldwide went bearish. Buy time IS NOW

As people go sell sell sell. Some go buy buy buy.

World war and the Rockefellers remind anyone of similar rhetoric LOL

So... you think we shouldn't take this too seriously.

Like no more seriously than one of the World Wars?

Okay, glad to hear that.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
we have 4 kids, and we went to mcdonald's for lunch earlier today.

we flipped up the mask to take a bite, then flipped down again while chewing/swallowing. don't want to mess around with this.

The people handling your food aren't necessarily wearing gloves...especially at Mcdonalds

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The odds of dying from this so long as you arent a baby or a senior are extremely slim. That being said, theres nothing wrong with having a pantry full of canned goods and water, like in any emergency situation. And I wouldn't bother wearing respirators like we see people doing already, they're absolutely useless. Wash your hands as much as possible. It's that simple.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The people handling your food aren't necessarily wearing gloves...especially at Mcdonalds
I'm a chef. I almost never wear gloves, none of us do. We do wash our hands a hundred times a shift though. My hands look like they've been through hell in the winter time.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

true, none of us were wearing gloves. So we made sure to keep our masks on while ordering at the counter. The person taking our order had a hard time understanding us and even though it took almost 10 minutes to place our meal and pay for it (people in line behind us were becoming impatient), at least we tried to keep ourselves safe.

I think they will be wearing gloves very soon, it seems like the proper thing to do right now.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’m being cautious but not overly cautious. I plan on going to Cuba in a month. I’m not worried about Cuba at least not yet, but more the airport. I travel through the city all the time staying at hotels so I’m at risk here anyways. I’m mid 30 yrs old and healthy but would not want to be stuck in a quarantine or being a silent carrier.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
we have 4 kids, and we went to mcdonald's for lunch earlier today.

Not to be obtuse, but if you are that worried why not take the food home or to the car? Or even cook at home?

Reactions: belair

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The fatality rate is 2%, consistent in China and Italy now.

Of those 2% who perish, 80% were the elderly and/or had preexisting conditions.

Those stats send a strong message. The old people and sick, who happen to get coronavirus probably will not survive.

For someone young and healthy, who cares. But what about our parents or grandparents, or if we are in that age group?

Coronvirus symptoms are not noticeable in many cases. The virus can be passed by anyone. You do not know who has it. Even dogs carry the COVID-19 now.

This is very real and very serious for those who are old.

So everyone should take some precaution, for our older Leafs fans, and non-Leafs fans.

:)

That's the fatality rate with ICU care, the real concern is if it gets so widespread that our medical infrastructure gets overwhelmed and not everyone can get ICU care.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I've been loading up on McDonald's coupons since Ive heard about this. I know that I have enough coupons to last a few months also there is a McDonald's really close to my house so if gas prices goes crazy I can walk there and buy at a discount until the hysteria blows over

The McD*cks food is more likely to harm you than Coronavirus.

Reactions: Cobra777 and crump

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
AS RECEIVED: The new coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days, how can one know if he/she is infected. By the time they have fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs is usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late!

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness etc it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY. Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach. Once there in tummy...your stomach ACID will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS. That's very dangerous.
Pls send and share with family, friends and everyone about this ! Take care everyone n may the world recovers from corona virus soon. May all be well n happy Dennis p.
Good post but most people in this day and age aside from those who make a conscious effort have low stomach acid and very weak and terrible gut health.

With the invention of refrigerators and freezers most humans, at least those in Canada/USA have nearly completely stopped consuming fermented foods, which was a staple in the human diet for forever. Which means a lack of healthy bacteria in the gut/poor gut lining/inflammation/yeast Candida overgrowth. People who take SSRI's or other antibiotics will also have terrible guts as those kill your gut bacteria too. A healthy gut is important for a wide number of reasons, including fighting off various illnesses, like you mentioned.

I personally started working on my gut as one of the many ways I tried to fight an anxiety disorder I developed a year and a half ago as a manifestation of PTSD, and targeting the gut was by far one of the most effective remedies. Non pasteurized sauerkraut in particular has helped more than any anything. Head over to farm boy and buy their sauerkraut, it's the only one I can tolerate in terms of taste. 50-100g a day is more than enough.

Recently I have switched over to Cultured Coconut's fermented coconut milk which has 4 trillion + CFU's of bacteria from 40 different strains in a single tablespoon. If you don't like sauerkraut you could buy this instead from a supplement store for a few bucks. And yes, drinking water would logically help too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad