OT: Coronavirus - Start Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
This is off-topic and I'm not looking to get into a debate about this if you disagree, but I wanted to warn my fellow Leaf fans.

We are going to have confirmed outbreaks of coronavirus in Canada and the United States over the next week or two. Toronto and Vancouver are the most likely places for it to start spreading. The numbers will get bigger and they will not be able to stop the spread. There will be a run on grocery stores and everyone will be staying in their homes.

I just wanted to warn everyone to get prepared for a SHTF scenario. Stock up on food and whatever else you will need to survive in your house for many months. Get extra supplies so you can help your friends and family who don't prepare. Buy things with a long shelf life that you normally consume anyways. If I'm wrong, you'll use everything eventually. Buy diapers (+ formula if not breast feeding) if you have a baby. Buy lots of pet food if you have pets. Get lots of medication if you need to take prescription medication. Bags of white rice are going to be the most valuable thing you can buy. Toilet paper will be one of the first items to be sold out everywhere.

I don't mean to panic anyone, but this is happening now. Better to panic first before everyone else does. I don't normally discuss politics or topics like this on here. I stick to talking about hockey here. But I figured I might as give a warning to my fellow Leaf fans. The more people who are prepared, the better. I don't have any special inside information or anything like that. I've just been following the developments on this virus very closely for over a month. I'm fully prepped at this point. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up before the craziness starts.

I think it may reach the point where they either have to cancel the NHL season or have teams playing in empty stadiums like they're doing for soccer matches in Italy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Health Minister Advises To Stock Up For COVID-19 Virus

“There’s no magic to this…it’s really about first of all making sure you have enough supplies, if someone in your family becomes ill, if you yourself become ill, that you have what you need to survive a week or so without having to go out,” says Hajdu.
The health minister adds that includes medication if you can’t go outside.
“To be prepared in terms of your own personal health, maybe people have certain medications that need prescriptions on a regular basis, to have enough on hand,” adds Hajdu.
The government reminds hand washing is important, but also getting the flu shot as the influenza season is already causing a burden on the health care system.

Resistance

Nov 10, 2019
I spent $1K in prep this morning.

The commenter here who said "are you for real?" is what we really have to worry about.. people not taking this seriously.. people thinking it's a joke. They're both going to be the suffering ones, and the dangerous ones, who look to take from those who did prepare.

It's not a joke.

Happy I've stocked up before anything truly bad kicks off here. If it doesn't kick off like it could, whatever, 4 months from now I start dipping in to the supplies, and nothing will have gone bad by the time it's consumed.

If you think it's silly or paranoid to spend some $ to prepare yourselves (when they are now *literally* telling you to do this).... I really don't know what to say.

In places I also see really ignorant comments like "the flu is deadlier", or even more disingenuously, "the flu kills more people". Although true, totally misses the point.

The world has not been this close to entire supply chain collapse and economic breakdown since WW1.

The several "unknown origin" cases in USA last night was the last straw for me. OP is correct, within 10 days, we will be in the high hundreds here, and will have totally lost the ability to trace and contain.

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I've been following it too, but 3 months is a little much. You have to live your life..this is not Ebola, its bad for elderly or precondition patients, highly contagious with 2% fatality rate. So yes serious but not Apocalyptic.

Wash your hands,
Don't touch your face
You'll be OK
Worse Case...If they close schools or towns it will be for a few weeks
70% of us will get it and of those, 2% will die.
Stock up on prescriptions, Expectorant cough syrup, anti inflammatories, Vitimin D
Food/water for 3 weeks.
fill up your Generators
Gas tanks

crunch the numbers but consider this.....

Did you know its estimated 10,000 Canadians die annually due to workplace related accidents...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/workplace-fatalities-deaths-under-reported-study-1.4973495

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
they should have continued to contain it instead of allowing people to fly home . no one should have been able to leave the containment unless they no longer had the virus. but they did the stupidest thing and sent infected people back to the home countries in hand spreading the virus faster and much further.

im glad i live in the middle of the bush.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah the biggest issue is we are too reliant on supplies from China. With China effective shut down now for 2 weeks supplies will get more limited to buy at places like Walmart. The reason the markets are down is this. Only 3-4 percent of people who get Coronavirus die. Most are sick as hell for a week and then recover. But do go get your supplies as soon as you can especially in Vancouver and Toronto. There is a reason why Trump had a press conference on it. The antivirus is still at least 6 months away. God help everyone. and GLG.

Resistance

Nov 10, 2019
I've been following it too, but 3 months is a little much. You have to live your life..this is not Ebola, its bad for elderly or precondition patients, highly contagious with 2% fatality rate. So yes serious but not Apocalyptic.

Wash your hands,
Don't touch your face
You'll be OK
Worse Case...If they close schools or towns it will be for a few weeks
70% of us will get it and of those, 2% will die. crunch the numbers but consider this.....

Did you know its estimated 10,000 Canadians die annually due to workplace related accidents...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/workplace-fatalities-deaths-under-reported-study-1.4973495

10-15% of people require hospitalization, and if you combine that with how infectious it is, the issue isn't necessarily the 2% chance you could die, but the chance you won't be able to seek treatment when our already over-burdened medical system on a good day, has to deal with a million more patients than it's designed to handle.

that death rate would also seriously climb in a situation of cascading failure.

the FDA is already saying there is a shortage of certain medical supplies, but aren't saying what to avoid hoarding/panic.

also consider the supply chain if everything has to be put on hold for 3-12 months.

it's pretty apocalyptic, perhaps not in a biblical sense, but it very well could result in the end of the world as we currently operate, for a significant amount of time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
they should have continued to contain it instead of allowing people to fly home . no one should have been able to leave the containment unless they no longer had the virus. but they did the stupidest thing and sent infected people back to the home countries in hand spreading the virus faster and much further.

im glad i live in the middle of the bush.

I read this decades ago ... The Last Canadian - Wikipedia

I really enjoyed the read.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah the biggest issue is we are too reliant on supplies from China. With China effective shut down now for 2 weeks supplies will get more limited to buy at places like Walmart. The reason the markets are down is this. Only 3-4 percent of people who get Coronavirus die. Most are sick as hell for a week and then recover. But do go get your supplies as soon as you can especially in Vancouver and Toronto. There is a reason why Trump had a press conference on it. The antivirus is still at least 6 months away. God help everyone. and GLG.

According to the CDC, the agency in the U.S. federal government that handles such matters, the antivirus is 12 - 18 months away.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I think I still have some Y2K/Recession/SARS/2010 Mayan calendar/Ebola stocks to last me for a while

56,000 people die from the common flu each year, so you should probably worry more about that
What are some good stocks to invest in right now amid coronavirus threats?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Lol people realize the death rate from Corona virus is around 0.2% for people under 40 right?

Educate yourselves

I think there's nothing wrong with being cautious, but obviously not to the extreme. I dont agree however with being dismissive of the situation. Most of us also have older people we care about too

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah I think I am going to just wash my hands more regularly and continue to live my life. My Grandmother is currently in Hospital in Toronto though and that has me concerned for her potentially catching it if it were to break out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->