Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
the crazy thing is there is always a pandemic every 100yrs, like clockwork

1820 (Cholera pandemic)
1920 (Spanish flu)
2020 (Corona)

Corona is getting overblown here...

Yes, take it seriously.

Yes, if the typical flu is an issue for you or you have respiratory issues be careful.

However, you should treat it more like H1N1 (swine flu) than the spanish flu. Coronavirus currently has a 2% death rate and will likely drop as it moves out of China (which typically has a higher death rate than other places in the world). The Spanish flu literally killed 2% of the entire world.

Could it develop into something more serious? Sure, but it is unlikely given our current healthcare advancements.

Yes, be careful. No, do NOT avoid society out of fear.

Listen to your doctors over us strangers, but media has gotten everybody in a craze as most people that are healthy overall will be fine even if they catch it.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
What are some good stocks to invest in right now amid coronavirus threats?
I sold off a lot of my portfolio on Tuesday, but held on to banks, utilities, and telecoms. Will watch market and re-purchase much of what I sold when it looks like the panic is over. I only buy long-term dividend payers which also have a record of dividend growth, so I'm mostly a buy-and-hold investor, but the current panic was a special situation.

My advice? A lot of shares of good, stable companies will be discounted in the next few weeks/months, so there will be bargains.

Remember that 'fear' and 'greed' are the two main market drivers. Right now 'fear' is in the ascendancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: HansHans

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
This is off-topic and I'm not looking to get into a debate about this if you disagree, but I wanted to warn my fellow Leaf fans.

We are going to have confirmed outbreaks of coronavirus in Canada and the United States over the next week or two. Toronto and Vancouver are the most likely places for it to start spreading. The numbers will get bigger and they will not be able to stop the spread. There will be a run on grocery stores and everyone will be staying in their homes.

I just wanted to warn everyone to get prepared for a SHTF scenario. Stock up on food and whatever else you will need to survive in your house for many months. Get extra supplies so you can help your friends and family who don't prepare. Buy things with a long shelf life that you normally consume anyways. If I'm wrong, you'll use everything eventually. Buy diapers (+ formula if not breast feeding) if you have a baby. Buy lots of pet food if you have pets. Get lots of medication if you need to take prescription medication. Bags of white rice are going to be the most valuable thing you can buy. Toilet paper will be one of the first items to be sold out everywhere.

I don't mean to panic anyone, but this is happening now. Better to panic first before everyone else does. I don't normally discuss politics or topics like this on here. I stick to talking about hockey here. But I figured I might as give a warning to my fellow Leaf fans. The more people who are prepared, the better. I don't have any special inside information or anything like that. I've just been following the developments on this virus very closely for over a month. I'm fully prepped at this point. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up before the craziness starts.

I think it may reach the point where they either have to cancel the NHL season or have teams playing in empty stadiums like they're doing for soccer matches in Italy.
You do realize that 3500 people a year die from the regular flu in Canada. Dont cause panic, just to cause panic.

Most of the deaths from coronavirus are people aged 70 and older, or suffer from diabetes, heart problems, or breathing issues. As of right now, only 1% of the cases of coronavirus have died. Be careful, wash your hands, but dont stoo living your life.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Listen to your doctors over us strangers, but media has gotten everybody in a craze as most people that are healthy overall will be fine even if they catch it.

I agree overall with your post but I do feel it's a little overly simplistic to be like if you're young or you're healthy overall you'll be fine. It's not only about ourselves. If you contract the virus you will be asymptomatic for 2 weeks. Everyone you love is at risk in that scenario too.

I feel like this sums things up well:
"Most people who are not elderly and do not have underlying health conditions will not become critically ill from Covid-19. But the illness still has a higher chance of leading to serious respiratory symptoms than seasonal flu and there are other at-risk groups – health workers, for instance, are more vulnerable because they are likely to have higher exposure to the virus. The actions that young, healthy people take, including reporting symptoms and following quarantine instructions, will have an important role in protecting the most vulnerable in society and in shaping the overall trajectory of the outbreak."

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I have a half dozen friends in front line medical care and a cousin in public health and none of them are even close to as worried as the people in this thread.

I have a precon and they aren’t even really worried about me, even tho I travel for work. I am always in danger during flu seasons.

We’re all worried for our parents/elderly but I’m always a little worried about them so this is nothing new.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Eh I do think there is some merit to this at this point. If you actually follow the raw numbers of this virus, it seems more likely then not that every major city on the planet is going to deal with an outbreak of it, and they do not know how long it will last.

This isn't a doomsday scenario or anything, but it stands to reason that we could approach a time where a lot of industries have to come to a halt at one point or another for small periods. This is how China had to react to slow the virus down, and the same will go for North America.

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I have a half dozen friends in front line medical care and a cousin in public health and none of them are even close to as worried as the people in this thread.

I have a precon and they aren’t even really worried about me, even tho I travel for work. I am always in danger during flu seasons.

We’re all worried for our parents/elderly but I’m always a little worried about them so this is nothing new.

Maybe they just don't realize what's coming? Seems like a majority of the world didn't until just this week (check the stock market).

Reactions: Kurtz

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You do realize that 3500 people a year die from the regular flu in Canada. Dont cause panic, just to cause panic.

Most of the deaths from coronavirus are people aged 70 and older, or suffer from diabetes, heart problems, or breathing issues. As of right now, only 1% of the cases of coronavirus have died. Be careful, wash your hands, but dont stoo living your life.

I agree with some of this message but you have facts wrong.

3,000 of approximately 86,000 confirmed cases have resulted in death. 40,000 people have recovered. And 43,000 are still outstanding. That's more like 4%. Most of which in China, but the numbers are the numbers.

Coronavirus is considerably more lethal than the regular flu and should be treated very seriously. I agree in so much as to say people should still live there lives, just practice extra precaution.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think this is a joke. You do need to prepare yourself. Think stocking food for 3months is a bit much. Bc if this thing really last for 3months and more, which means the production line is dead for at least 3 months and if that’s the case, we are all pretty screw.

As someone who was living in ground zero aka Hong Kong during SARS.
Beside washing your hands and stuff.
Do try to avoid crowded area while at the same time don’t stop living your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Merrrlin

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Anything retail/otherwise relies upon a Supply Chain. Most of them have dropped like 10% in the past 2 weeks, and it won't stay like that after the virus passes.

However, it is also likely that many people are not willing to sell these stocks knowing the exact same thing. You probably won't make much of a profit, if any at all.

Reactions: Lainehasaweirdface

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

There are lots of short terms stocks but those are very risky (high gain but also the potential to lose it all).

For example, there are two companies that make the N95 gas masks (APT and AHPI). Both stocks went to nearly $40 bucks from less than $5.

I bought a few hundred at ~$7 sold it at $24 (before it increased in after market trading ). I wouldn't really recommend investing money into these kinds of stocks unless you are okay with losing that money because they fall as quick as they rise. If you are looking for long term investments, always safe to invest in companies that will rise up again (Disney, Microsoft etc).

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
It is very close to Hungary now (quiet possibly it's already here but our f***ed up government is hiding everything), and the panic is real, thanks to all the media generating it. All the major shops are basically empty now because everyone started buying everything out of panic.

I'm not saying it is foolish to get prepared because once (or if) actual quarantine kicks in it will be difficult to get your necessary stuff, but the panic thats going on right now is really getting out of control. People are freaking out like our apocalypse is upon is.

Take care of yourself, wash your hands regularly, try to avoid crowded places and everything will be alright.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Maybe they just don't realize what's coming? Seems like a majority of the world didn't until just this week (check the stock market).

The feedback I get is that it is very scary for people already at great risk from the flu, but average people have less to worry about.

I am guessing the fatality rates are much lower in 1st world countries, despite the recent announcement of a death in the US. I wouldn’t want to get it in rural China to be honest.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Just so you know, odds are better the Leafs win the Stanley Cup then you knowing someone to die from the virus.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

3,000 of approximately 86,000 confirmed cases have resulted in death. 40,000 people have recovered. And 43,000 are still outstanding. That's more like 4%. Most of which in China, but the numbers are the numbers.

Coronavirus is considerably more lethal than the regular flu and should be treated very seriously. I agree in so much as to say people should still live there lives, just practice extra precaution.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

Your website says one thing. Mine says another. All we have is google, and conflicting reports.

We have people gorging on fast food, smoking cigarettes, drinking booze, and doing drugs. Those things are 10 times more dangerous than Coronavirus. The panic the media tries to spread with this flu is absurd.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
AS RECEIVED: The new coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days, how can one know if he/she is infected. By the time they have fever and/or cough and goes to the hospital, the lungs is usually 50 % Fibrosis and it's too late!

Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning:

Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stuffiness or tightness etc it proves there is no fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicating no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air!

SERIOUS EXCELLENT ADVICE by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases. Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat is moist, never DRY. Take a few sips of water every 15 mins at least. WHY? Even if the virus gets into your mouth...drinking water or other liquids will WASH them down through your oesophagus and into the stomach. Once there in tummy...your stomach ACID will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly...the virus can enter your windpipes and into the LUNGS. That's very dangerous.
Pls send and share with family, friends and everyone about this ! Take care everyone n may the world recovers from corona virus soon. May all be well n happy Dennis p.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
just make sure you have a lot of different elements of medical and you'll be fine.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Health Minister Advises To Stock Up For COVID-19 Virus

“There’s no magic to this…it’s really about first of all making sure you have enough supplies, if someone in your family becomes ill, if you yourself become ill, that you have what you need to survive a week or so without having to go out,” says Hajdu.
The health minister adds that includes medication if you can’t go outside.
“To be prepared in terms of your own personal health, maybe people have certain medications that need prescriptions on a regular basis, to have enough on hand,” adds Hajdu.
The government reminds hand washing is important, but also getting the flu shot as the influenza season is already causing a burden on the health care system.
I find it crazy people still get those shots and still get the flu. I havent had a shot since I was a kid and havent had the flu since I was really young and I'm almost 29 now. Maybe if people are better they'd be healthier?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Your website says one thing. Mine says another. All we have is google, and conflicting reports.

We have people gorging on fast food, smoking cigarettes, drinking booze, and doing drugs. Those things are 10 times more dangerous than Coronavirus. The panic the media tries to spread with this flu is absurd.

My numbers are directly from the John Hopkins university tracker. I'd wager they are among the most solid non-government or CDC numbers available

That said, I don't agree with media panic either but not all of it is unfair. Listing a bunch of things that are also dangerous has no bearing on the danger or how seriously this should also be taken. Not to mention, literally all the examples you posted are choices, so not at all comparable

Reactions: filthyMitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad