OT: Coronavirus - Start Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The spread rate is almost under control in China.

But it is spreading at a much faster rate in the rest of the world, particularly South Korea, Italy and Iran. This thing isn't very lethal but it spreads fast.

If it spreads in Ontario I would be worried about taking public transit. I would be worried about my kids in schools.

I am telling my kids to wash their hands a lot, with soap. That is the only precautionary step I have taken.

But at the same time I stocked up on sanitizers and face masks. We would start using them if it spreads here like in Italy for example. I know they are not very effective but if they help a bit then it's good. And the face masks at least act as a physical barrier that stops people from touching their own faces with dirty hands.

If one my kids gets sick with it because I didn't take any precautions, I would be very upset with myself.

I don't want to over react, and I don't want to under-react either.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I think the mass hysteria isn't warranted. Certainly there's a risk for a pandemic but the mortality rate of the virus is very low around 2-3.5% (this is only off confirmed cases, so actual rates are even lower. SARA was 10% mortality for comparison), the virus is genetically stable (meaning less chance for mutation), Canada and USA has great infrastructure to mitigate risks and deaths. And of course, just wash your hands regularly, don't touch your face often and you'll be fine. Panic isn't necessary, certainly not at this stage.

I say we are luckily that the mortality rate is not as high as the ability to spread and last for days on surfaces. It is a message sent that we need better global responses next time. China took it too way lightly when doctors first discovered it.

Reactions: Leaf4Life

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I've been loading up on McDonald's coupons since Ive heard about this. I know that I have enough coupons to last a few months also there is a McDonald's really close to my house so if gas prices goes crazy I can walk there and buy at a discount until the hysteria blows over

Reactions: Feliix and Dog

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I've been loading up on McDonald's coupons since Ive heard about this. I know that I have enough coupons to last a few months also there is a McDonald's really close to my house so if gas prices goes crazy I can walk there and buy at a discount until the hysteria blows over
I stocked up on Coronas to build up antibodies

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
This is just another case of media fear mongering. I'm not the least bit worried about this virus. Even if I do get it, my body will fight it off because I'm still relatively young. Senior citizens and children are at most risk. Everyone calm down, this is not the apocalypse.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I’m about to begin my residency in a trauma hospital here in Toronto. Please don’t overreact, I can tell you that Public Health and Infection Prevention and Control at both Sunnybrook and St Michaels are well prepared. It is not apocalyptic.

please relax and use common sense.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Unfortunately, the media doesn't want to do a proper job of anything these days. They only want to create panic and division, more than reporting of facts, or at the very least, carefully choose which facts they want to present the viewer, in order to cause fear. It happens with everything , every single day . I'm not saying don't take the Coronavirus seriously, but talking like its the Spanish flu? Calm down people. I still can't believe people fall for this every couple years when a virus breaks out that's "supposed" to level the human population, and never does.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I agree overall with your post but I do feel it's a little overly simplistic to be like if you're young or you're healthy overall you'll be fine. It's not only about ourselves. If you contract the virus you will be asymptomatic for 2 weeks. Everyone you love is at risk in that scenario too.

I feel like this sums things up well:
"Most people who are not elderly and do not have underlying health conditions will not become critically ill from Covid-19. But the illness still has a higher chance of leading to serious respiratory symptoms than seasonal flu and there are other at-risk groups – health workers, for instance, are more vulnerable because they are likely to have higher exposure to the virus. The actions that young, healthy people take, including reporting symptoms and following quarantine instructions, will have an important role in protecting the most vulnerable in society and in shaping the overall trajectory of the outbreak."

100% correct.

I was not advocating that if you are young you will be fine, just that you are in a much better scenario. The same as the flu. However, you are still at risk and obviously always have the potential to spread it.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
This is just another case of media fear mongering. I'm not the least bit worried about this virus. Even if I do get it, my body will fight it off because I'm still relatively young. Senior citizens and children are at most risk. Everyone calm down, this is not the apocalypse.
Yeah well the joke will be on you when everybody is dead!
Get with the program bud and started spending thousands of dollars on flu chips and beef jerky. It’s your moral obligation.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
do whatever you want but before making yourself terrified remember it's the same powers-that-be who told us the ozone hole would kill us all, the SARS would kill us all, the Ebola would kill us all, the bird flu would kill us all, the global warming was already supposed to have killed us all New York was supposed to be underwater by 2020. So, yeah.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I agree with some of this message but you have facts wrong.

3,000 of approximately 86,000 confirmed cases have resulted in death. 40,000 people have recovered. And 43,000 are still outstanding. That's more like 4%. Most of which in China, but the numbers are the numbers.

Coronavirus is considerably more lethal than the regular flu and should be treated very seriously. I agree in so much as to say people should still live there lives, just practice extra precaution.

Key point is in bold.

There are way more infected people walking around than the confirmed totals.. Therefore actual fatality rates are much lower than the current numbers indicate.

Reactions: BayStBullies and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah well the joke will be on you when everybody is dead!
Get with the program bud and started spending thousands of dollars on flu chips and beef jerky. It’s your moral obligation.
MMMMM......beef jerky

Reactions: meng666

Once

Jul 16, 2010
The relative risk for those considered in a healthy state (absence of chronic conditions) and dying from the corona virus is < .5%. Almost nill.

Fatality rates are most prevalent in the elderly and those with pre-existing comorbidities, in particular, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

However, from a public health perspective, a healthy individual could transmit the virus to vulnerable relatives, friends, coworkers without showing symptoms themselves(yet). Wash and sanitize your hands after every contact. That’s all you can do.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
kinda glad I've worked from home the last few years at a time like this. scary to contemplate how much exposure there is in the public transportation environment every single day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad