OT: Coronavirus - Start Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
What do you recommend buying? Honest question from a market rookie.

As a rookie I don't think it's a good idea to go into anything you're not comfortable nor knowledgeable about.

To answer your question anything that indexes the market. Something with low volatility normally. Low to medium risk.

Buying at lows there is always an opportunity because people react to things. Figuring out when the reaction ends is tough but I expect it to be soon. I personally would invest today, as day-by-day we've seen it go up and down over the past few weeks.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Nah but I mean, certain media outlets don't like Trump. That's fine. I don't care but they use the people's interest in Trump to get mega clicks. They make a f***ing ton from it.
All news broadcasters on both sides do this e.g., whether its Fox, CNN, whatever.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sane people that ask questions?
Sure, people in general should always ask questions. Couldn't agree more. It's a wise practice. I'm not sure, but perhaps you missed the point. No worries though - not going to stake much personal capital in this.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Pissed me off too on the toilet paper stock and prices. No toilet paper left on Sunday afternoon at Costco and Walmart. Had to buy some at Cdn tire for $28 and wasted 2 hours of my time.

People relax on stocking up on this. What kinda stupid is this. Buy what you need.

This morning the markets collapsed. It will be a very bad week. The shorters are taking people's $$$. Maybe I will short too this week.

and people laughed when we said threads like these will have a quicker impact than the actual virus. When people/media cause panic online we deprive ourselves of resources. Look at this. $28 just to be able to wipe ourselves after using the washroom

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
All news broadcasters on both sides do this e.g., whether its Fox, CNN, whatever.

Lol so it's you who is reactive. You keep making this about sides. I never said Fox didn't do that. The media, in general.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sure, people in general should always ask questions. Couldn't agree more. It's a wise practice. I'm not sure, but perhaps you missed the point. No worries though - not going to stake much personal capital in this.
I think you were pretty clearly implying Conservatives would downplay it. Which is fine. I just find it odd when questioning things is odd to others :)

What I also find odd is how the other side of the aisle that has spent the last 4 years being bamboozled by the MSM are still quoting these same sources.

Main point being skepticism is healthy which we agree on :)

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
How many people have died from the regular flu in Canada this year?

Don't know and don't really care. It's a ton more than have died of COVID-19.

However......

I think we can address more than one disease at a time.

COVID-19 just appeared on the scene about a dozen weeks ago or so. So we don't have any treatments or vaccines for it.

It would be a poor strategy to wait until it passes the regular flu before we start to worry about it. Of course all around the world most of the people who have any influence on this are taking actions on it, and have been pretty much since it was first discovered. I can really only think of one nation that hasn't acted quickly.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think you were pretty clearly implying Conservatives would downplay it. Which is fine. I just find it odd when questioning things is odd to others :)

What I also find odd is how the other side of the aisle that has spent the last 4 years being bamboozled by the MSM are still quoting these same sources.

Main point being skepticism is healthy which we agree on :)

While your 2nd sentence is intriguing (potentially revealing), I'll just stick with agreeing with you on the bolded.

I have more than one citizenship (& passport) and I'm painfully aware of divide & tribalism in the U.S. Its virtually impossible to have any kind of positive conversation about politics without people going back to their caves and tribes.

And, my career was a science based career, so I've always believed in asking questions.

Reactions: yubbers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->