Coronavirus in Football

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Because quite frankly in the end, there has been less death/inhabitant in Sweden than Belgium, Great Britain, Italy and very similar to US and France.
And without a lockdown.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Because quite frankly in the end, there has been less death/inhabitant in Sweden than Belgium, Great Britain, Italy and very similar to US and France.
And without a lockdown.
Apples & oranges as the countries you named have a higher population and density than Sweden. They should be compared to their Scandinavian neighbours and Finland which are similar and let us just say that their numbers look bad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Apples & oranges as the countries you named have a higher population and density than Sweden. They should be compared to their Scandinavian neighbours and Finland which are similar and let us just say that their numbers look bad.
:huh:
I compared them in link with their population. :dunno:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
link might not be the good word.
I meant I made a link between number of deaths and number of inhabitants.
For instance, media tend to say US has the most deaths, while if you take the number of citizens into account, they're barely top (or worse) 10.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And without a lockdown.

That's false. They had more or less the same standards but they were not government orders but recommendations. Also, Sweden shouldn't be compared to the countries you listed but to it's neighbors.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's false. They had more or less the same standards but they were not government orders but recommendations. Also, Sweden shouldn't not be compared to the countries you listed but to it's neighbors.
Sorry, France, Spain or Italy didn't have a lockdown?
How is that false?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The density in Sweden and the US is very similar. :huh:

And Belgium? Higher population and bigger cities?
Nah.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm saying by population, population density and location. Not by lockdown. And neither Finland, Denmark or Norway had as strict lockdowns as the countries you listed.
You specifically bolded the part about the lockdown :huh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You do realize that the size of US levels that metric? Damn it, you are basically comparing the +/- stats of players in different positions now.
It really doesn't.
And even then, how do you explain Belgium?

Frankly, this competition as to who did worse is particularly laughable.
In the end I don't feel like Sweden did worse than many countries who had much rougher lockdowns.

But that has not a thing to do with football anyway.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It really doesn't.

In the end I don't feel like Sweden did worse than many countries who had much rougher lockdowns.

Belgium is smaller and Brussels is bigger than Stockholm.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You specifically bolded the part about the lockdown :huh:

Because it was the wrong term to use with Sweden. They weren't without a lockdown, they had fairly strict recommendations in place. We now know they didn't obey those restrictions as well as their neighbors did their own.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It really doesn't.

Belgium was hit hard early. Nordic countries were later.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

According to this site, proportionately speaking a higher percentage of Sweden's population lives in urban areas than France, Spain, the UK or the US.

Urban population (% of total population) | Data

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Tbf if Pogba didn’t got it now, he would’ve caught it from Sweden for sure, they’ve done jackshit to stop the virus, watch most of France Team catch it now.

Really? Buying the media spreading fear I see. Sure, by now I know a few that has caught it (non bad so far) but the majority has not caught it. Most of us Swedes looks at the world like they've lost their mindes lately.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It really doesn't.

I'm less sure about it being 'nothing to do with football' inasmuch as Belgium and France abandoned their seasons on account of the crisis, and England's footballing authorities received many calls to follow suit. (Calling for the cancellation of the 2019/20 EPL campaign may follow voting for New Labour and being in favour of the Iraq war into the category of opinions that everyone supports at the time, and everyone denies they ever supported years later).

What Belgium, Sweden and the UK have in common is a failure to prevent spread of the virus in care homes for the elderly (whether the Swedes copied the UK policy whereby patients with the virus were sent from hospital back into care homes I haven't checked). The Swedes have publicly acknowledged their failing.

It's important to remember this so that the moment anyone begins proposing that professional football games be played in the grounds of care homes we can quash their misguided plan.

Reactions: gary69 and YNWA14

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Really? Buying the media spreading fear I see. Sure, by now I know a few that has caught it (non bad so far) but the majority has not caught it. Most of us Swedes looks at the world like they've lost their mindes lately.
You’ve got 10million population and 5,820 deaths from Corona, thats actually crazy.

For comparison:

Finland has 5,5million people and 334 deaths, and we’re right next to Sweden.
Czech Repuplic has 10million people like Sweden too and they had 418 deaths.

Nothing to do with media spreading fear or other countries losing their mind, it’s your country that’s doing jackshit to stop spreading of it, and allowing people to travel freely and spread the virus, Sweden has done nothing to stop the criminal activity thats been torturing their county for years, and now they ain’t doing anything about this either, it’s run like sh*t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad