Coronavirus in Football

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If players are getting this even the 'ghost games' are irresponsible. I know those guys are trying to hang onto whatever cash they can still squeeze out of this season, but give it another week or two and the whole thing is toast.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Inter Milan withdraws from all competitions. I think Juve will follow.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If players are getting this even the 'ghost games' are irresponsible. I know those guys are trying to hang onto whatever cash they can still squeeze out of this season, but give it another week or two and the whole thing is toast.
They need to essentially isolate their players and staff if they are still going to operate. Don't let them have contact with outside people, and that isn't going to happen because people aren't going to be cut off from their families and such.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They should definitely not have games at all.
I don't think it even matters to postpone games at this point considering that the virus hasn't reached its apex in either Europe or United States. I chequed the stats the other day and in the world of 6 billion it has only effected 120K (insanely small percentage). Now I am not an epidemiologist, but I know the growth of bacteria and viruses, which consist of phases and right now the world is in the beginning of exponential phase.

The problem isn't really the virus' danger, I calculated the morality rate and it was 3.2% in the world and 3.5% in USA which is far below the mortality rate of SARS and Bird Flu. Both of which were much more dangerous and we're not even talking about this years flu strain which has killed more than corona has. The problem is that it seems like the virus is easily transmittable and why WHO deemed it as a pandemic. In healthy individuals, it comes across as mild flu to normal flu like symptoms that can be treated easily. In people with suppressed immune systems such as young child and geriatric patients is where the virus will do its damage. Postponing European competition might eventually push it all the way to the beginning of the Euros and I think UEFA cares more about that than domestic play (already mentioned the tournament will continue).

Reactions: I am not exposed

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It gets waited out until this is over.

And really it doesn't matter everyone knows what happened this season and there's way more important shit going on.
So you think we just win it behind closed doors and then do whatever the f*** festivities when it's safe?

I can live with that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You need to be prepared for the distinct possibility that a lot of shit will happen in your life to make you not care.
I'm trying to think of things that would make me not care about Liverpool but let's not get into that.

I don't wanna go down in history as "well, we know what would have happened."

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Not to blow things out of proportion, but how many folks were still talking about the 1913/14 football season in 1918? Stuff is currently happening you'll tell your grandkids about and it's nothing to do with the Champions League or Premier League.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I remember thinking a month ago that there is very little chance the seasons get shut down... Crazy how quickly this has turned, stay safe everyone!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I remember thinking a month ago that there is very little chance the seasons get shut down... Crazy how quickly this has turned, stay safe everyone!
That's globalisation for ya! Then factor in that normal viral infections incubate for a couple days before the actual symptoms start and boom you have the situation we are in now.

Reactions: I am not exposed

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I've been thinking about this the past couple of days. Before today I was thinking how disappointed I'd be were I a Liverpool supporter as I was expecting the CL to be canceled. I also thought the leagues would probably be canceled. However as somebody else noted in the CL thread, with the money at stake I could see everything being finished.

As a supporter and a fan of the club competitions over tournaments like the Euro or Copa America, I would like to see the season played out even if it's behind closed doors. I'm not saying they should as that would be irresponsible, but I'd like some sort of conclusion to the season. And while I'm not confident in Barça winning anything (in fact I think a delayed season would only help us), and even if we were to say win the league it'd be a letdown even if the season continued considering the way they've played for much of it, I'd still like that finality. It's going to be a disappoint for a lot of supporters out there too because the league would have an asterisk. I can't even see how they could proclaim any league winners without somehow resuming the season.

With regards to a delayed finish to the season, I can't see that entirely working either. Does the transfer window get pushed back? What about contracts ending June 30th? What about buyout clauses being met during a delayed season? A lot of factors to consider

Stupid question: do we still lift the trophy in front of nobody?

That's not a stupid question. It's a REALLY stupid question.

Reactions: S E P H

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's not a stupid question. It's a REALLY stupid question.

I'm legitimately wondering how this works. Next time I'll just read the manual on winning titles during a pandemic.

It's still important to me and if that makes me a terrible person then f***ing execute me.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I can't even see how they could proclaim any league winners without somehow resuming the season.

I didn't elaborate on this as I meant to. Specifically, I can't see how it would be fair to end the season early at any stage and declare a winner when not every match has been played because of the home and away matches. That would require a BIG asterisk next to that title and as a supporter I can't even see counting it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
You need to be prepared for the distinct possibility that a lot of shit will happen in your life to make you not care.
Yup, sports is an escape of reality, particularly as you get older. Sure when you are kid/young adult you think it is life or death. But as you go through and see things happen to you or others around you, you just don't care as much about sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad