Coronavirus in Football

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sweden is never out of the top 10 countries in terms of general happiness.

They're doing fine I'd say.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Sweden is never out of the top 10 countries in terms of general happiness.

They're doing fine I'd say.
Think its a good thing for Swedish national football if the French and others are "Corona scared" of the Swedish players. Should give them some room (what is it 1m distance or 2m physically?) to penetrate their defences and score some easy goals.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Makes zero sense to compare Sweden with a country size of France, Belgium makes sense cause of it size but Belgium is seen one of the worst cases in Europe so comparing yourself to that shouldn’t count as ”succesfull strategy against corona”, especially when there are countries like Romania with twice the population but not nearly as much cases.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
St Mirren has had their whole goalkeeper room ruled ineligible for Saturday's match. Trying to making an emergency loan signing.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It's covered in like three threads, but I suppose this one is the most appropriate.

I don't think there's any question as we head into Fall/Winter we see re-institution of lockdown procedures in one form or another globally. No doubt in my mind (I know there are some local lockdowns already in effect in England, but that won't be enough).

Just to add: Local lockdowns failing to stop Covid spread in England, experts warn

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
And when clubs end up going to the wall because of no paying crowds that will be point the entire population will turn completely on all of these measures.

Not really. In every country other than this psychotic one, people actually care about preventing killing each other. Poorer non-rich clubs will get bailed out.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't see another actual 'shutdown' happening. I think expanded restrictions is probably the best term for what's going to happen. The governments involved will do their utmost to avoid any restrictions that cause a lot more damage for their economies. I also suspect that most governments will look a lot more at hospitalization/death stats than case numbers.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not really. In every country other than this psychotic one, people actually care about preventing killing each other. Poorer non-rich clubs will get bailed out.
How about people in this country DO care about people dying but feel it can be accomplished through a means other than lockdowns? And as for bailouts ask the CFL how that went when they went cap in hand to Ottawa.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah it's not looking good for the world or for football. Hoping for the best but I'm thinking we will have another shut down at some point soon
I doubt we see another major lockdown. Of active cases in the world less than 1% are fatal now. I can see restrictions but it’s a very different landscape than when it first broke and nobody knew how to deal with it.

Reactions: robertmac43

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I doubt we see another major lockdown. Of active cases in the world less than 1% are fatal now. I can see restrictions but it’s a very different landscape than when it first broke and nobody knew how to deal with it.

Agreed. If they do another lockdown again then that means we didn't learn from the first one.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

We'll see in the UK. Cases are skyrocketing over there.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I don't see another actual 'shutdown' happening. I think expanded restrictions is probably the best term for what's going to happen. The governments involved will do their utmost to avoid any restrictions that cause a lot more damage for their economies. I also suspect that most governments will look a lot more at hospitalization/death stats than case numbers.

With regards to the bolded, I would certainly hope that's the case in the UK, where evidence points to a startlingly high number of cases being false positives.

Reactions: sabremike

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Then they would be wrong.

The UK's death toll in hospitals from the virus fell all through the summer as social restrictions eased.

Likewise, evidence suggests that at the height of the crisis, deaths peaked before the lockdown measures could conceivably have taken effect.

As ever, the invaluable Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine is my source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad