Coronavirus in Football

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Short of playing on a private island, I just can’t imagine any league playing 10+ rounds of fixtures without positive cases and spread.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Short of playing on a private island, I just can’t imagine any league playing 10+ rounds of fixtures without positive cases and spread.

There will be positive cases.
But they will try to catch it early by doing as many tests as possible and quarantine the infected players immediately and then just postpone the games of the team in question for 2 weeks and go from there. Thats exactly what is happening with Dynamo Dresden in the second division of the Bundesliga right now.
Thats okay if it is only 2-3 teams affected. It becomes a huge problems if it becomes 5+ teams that are quarantined.
Thats why the overall infection rate in a country has to be under control before you can realistically even attempt this...

But with a bit of luck this seems doable to me...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Honestly, the key for them is not to get all 10 rounds in but to get as much in as possible. It's naturally about money more than anything else. But then all relaxations of the lockdown are ultimately about money, so that's not surprising.

It seems obvious to me that whether it is all stores re-opening, restaurants & bars coming back, hotels, workers returning to their offices..all of those will lead to more infections. Infections are the price we pay for all human interaction in a cumulative sense. Where the line is drawn will depend on your perspective.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
There will be positive cases.
But they will try to catch it early by doing as many tests as possible and quarantine the infected players immediately and then just postpone the games of the team in question for 2 weeks and go from there. Thats exactly what is happening with Dynamo Dresden in the second division of the Bundesliga right now.
Thats okay if it is only 2-3 teams affected. It becomes a huge problems if it becomes 5+ teams that are quarantined.
Thats why the overall infection rate in a country has to be under control before you can realistically even attempt this...

But with a bit of luck this seems doable to me...
Well, what's happened with Dresden is that the entire team is quarantined because of a few infections in the squad, correct? So, it's not exactly accurate to say they're only quarantining the infected players. Quarantining entire squads (which is absolutely the correct move to stop the spread once an infection is identified) makes it impossible for league play to have any kind of continuity.

The whole thing is a complete house of cards. That much is obvious being that they've already quarantined an entire team before a ball has even been kicked in competition.

It sounds like you're saying something similar, I just don't know how you can feasibly play matches off and on quarantining teams for 2 weeks when infections pop up. And on the evidence, it will clearly keep happening. The infection rate has ticked up in Germany since the beginning of the re-opening.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The Grauniad reports that UEFA has advised their 25 May deadline for leagues to submit resumption plans isn't a strict deadline - they just want 'some indications' of what's going to happen.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Anyone have a rundown of the target dates for each league?

Ive seen various stories of govt approving them resuming but with training and scheduling, it doesn’t necessarily align

Does the EPL have a target start date? La Liga?

Serie A is mid June?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Ive seen various stories of govt approving them resuming but with training and scheduling, it doesn’t necessarily align

Serie A is mid June?
PL wants to open up in about a month.

I wouldn’t rely on any specific dates for any league though. This is still very fluid

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

Serie A is mid June?

Not one of big leagues, but Czech league should start this Saturday...all teams and staff tested already, with the excpetion of one local hotspot the number of new cases is low in Czech republic, so it looks probable.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Serie A is mid June?

No sooner did reports appear of 12 June being the target date for the EPL and La Liga than denials followed from officials.

With football as it goes with certain politicians - the desire to try and bring in some money compromised by fear of failing to take an anxious workforce and volatile public with them.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Not one of big leagues, but Czech league should start this Saturday...all teams and staff tested already, with the excpetion of one local hotspot the number of new cases is low in Czech republic, so it looks probable.

Also smaller league, Croatia has been playing closed door prep matches this week, the semifinals of the cup will resume next weekend while the league season will resume the first weekend in June with the season ending late July and cup final in early August. Nobody tested positive in the first round of tests. The summer transfer market has been extended to October 2020 (though I assume this is only domestic transfers as FIFA/UEFA haven't announced their plans). All leagues below the top flight are cancelled with the current table being used as final, so the champion of the second division should come up if all license issues go as planned. No relegation in the second division, so the league will be expanded for next season and only promotion playoffs will be played to fill those spots

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

And it started today

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad