Coronavirus in Football

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't see another actual 'shutdown' happening. I think expanded restrictions is probably the best term for what's going to happen. The governments involved will do their utmost to avoid any restrictions that cause a lot more damage for their economies. I also suspect that most governments will look a lot more at hospitalization/death stats than case numbers.
According to this: Coronavirus Update (Live): 32,004,058 Cases and 979,117 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer the active cases are roughly 7.5m worldwide and roughly 62k of those are considered to be in 'serious' condition. I'm not sure how many in serious condition will end up being fatal, but it's probably not all of them.

In every case I've seen of a footballer or someone similar testing positive for COVID they've shown no adverse effects and return to training/the team relatively quickly. I highly doubt that major sports leagues are going to shut down again over something that has shown to be relatively harmless to the players. If anything they'll just enforce social restrictions on them.

It seems like the trends, at least right now, are cases spiking but mortality rate shrinking. I don't know that that should be leading to more restrictions or anything close to a lockdown. If it's even being considered I think the possible repercussions and the affect that the first lockdown has had (or the repercussions we will be facing in the next year or so) really need to be examined.

As someone who has strictly followed the isolation rules and so on, I still hold the belief especially as more information becomes available that we should be opening up more, not adding more restrictions.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
ww learned a lot. Especially around treatment.

we also learned that the world is filled with weapons grade morons who use YouTube for medical advice. Conspiracy ridden zombies.

I've learned many things. And had some things I knew already hammered home to me.

For instance, it has become a symbol of caring about other people to wear a mask. Yet every day I see masks discarded on the payment. Monday set a new high - on my 2.1 mile walk to Greenwich, I saw 12 masks left to be picked up by Council workers, a good few of whom will likely come from some of the less affluent social and economic groups in society - groups that have proven to be most vulnerable to the virus. Interestingly, however, I have never seen anyone drop a mask, despite my habit of walking for at least half an hour a day.

A useful reminder that since time immemorial for some people to wear an outward symbol of goodness usefully conceals their true selfishness until no one is paying attention.

Or until they need to chat on their mobile phone.

Reactions: sabremike

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I've learned many things. And had some things I knew already hammered home to me.

For instance, it has become a symbol of caring about other people to wear a mask. Yet every day I see masks discarded on the payment. Monday set a new high - on my 2.1 mile walk to Greenwich, I saw 12 masks left to be picked up by Council workers, a good few of whom will likely come from some of the less affluent social and economic groups in society - groups that have proven to be most vulnerable to the virus. Interestingly, however, I have never seen anyone drop a mask, despite my habit of walking for at least half an hour a day.

A useful reminder that since time immemorial for some people to wear an outward symbol of goodness usefully conceals their true selfishness until no one is paying attention.

my neighbor is a police officer in NY. In the beginning, many police, medical and fire workers were sick. A police officer locally died. This guy had signs for months about First Responders and respecting them. They put their lives on the line. Etc etc.

The minute it got better in NY this summer, he had a handmade “it’s a hoax” sign

people only care about what impacts them. They could give a shit about anyone else. It’s as American as apple pie.

Reactions: maclean

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
my neighbor is a police officer in NY. In the beginning, many police, medical and fire workers were sick. A police officer locally died. This guy had signs for months about First Responders and respecting them. They put their lives on the line. Etc etc.

The minute it got better in NY this summer, he had a handmade “it’s a hoax” sign

Look on the bright side. When he's made chief of NYPD, you'll be able to brag to everyone how you knew him before he was famous.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Sorry, but it sounds to me like you think people are throwing their masks on the ground on purpose? Do you think people in the winter purposely chuck their gloves on the ground too?

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Sorry, but it sounds to me like you think people are throwing their masks on the ground on purpose? Do you think people in the winter purposely chuck their gloves on the ground too?

people definitely tossed their mask and gloves for a long time leaving stores. It was an issue near me in NY. Go to grab a cart outside the market and the last persons gloves and mask were tossed inside. No one wants to touch that stuff.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

I've dropped my own gloves during winter. But in my five years of living in London, I've seen multiple pairs of gloves dropped on the floor on exactly zero occasions.

Have you ever seen five pairs of gloves left on the ground in the space of a thirty-minute walk? (And, as I mention above, five dropped masks on a walk is by no means the worst I've seen).

I consider it an encouraging day if I see only three discarded masks.

Remember, the advice is that you should minimise the number of times you take your mask on and off. Once you've used it, you are recommended to place it in a plastic bag and carry it home to dispose of. A lot of people appear to be very unlucky.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
People are definitely just carelessly dropping and throwing masks, they seem to be all over any plaza/shopping area where I live.

Reactions: Rob

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People are definitely just carelessly dropping and throwing masks, they seem to be all over any plaza/shopping area where I live.
I can't understand the mentality of people who do this: " I'm wearing a mask to protect me from Covid, but it's soiled so I'll just chuck it on the street rather than dispose of it properly because it couldn't possibly be a public health hazard on top of littering".

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I can't understand the mentality of people who do this: " I'm wearing a mask to protect me from Covid, but it's soiled so I'll just chuck it on the street rather than dispose of it properly because it couldn't possibly be a public health hazard on top of littering".

Indeed, and like East Coast Bias I've seen a mask dropped in a shopping basket in a supermarket. In addition, I've seen a mask thrown into someone's garden, and yet another left on a public bench.

I think the clue is in the bolded words. The UK government's campaign says that by wearing a mask you protect other people who, by wearing a mask themselves, protect you in turn. Clearly, a number of people conceive matters differently, and the second the mask serves them no use, all thoughts of others go out the window.

But no sooner was it suggested that masks should be widely imposed than cynical observers suggested a sense of security born of wearing the things would cause a proportion of people to behave carelessly.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
If anyone finds any suede gloves with cashmere lining, medium or large equivalent and in good nick, PM me and I'll send you a self-addressed stamped envelope so you can send them to me.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I've dropped my own gloves during winter. But in my five years of living in London, I've seen multiple pairs of gloves dropped on the floor on exactly zero occasions.

Have you ever seen five pairs of gloves left on the ground in the space of a thirty-minute walk? (And, as I mention above, five dropped masks on a walk is by no means the worst I've seen).

I consider it an encouraging day if I see only three discarded masks.

Remember, the advice is that you should minimise the number of times you take your mask on and off. Once you've used it, you are recommended to place it in a plastic bag and carry it home to dispose of. A lot of people appear to be very unlucky.

Hm, OK, I see masks on the ground here, but they've clearly been dropped accidentally. It's easy to forget how differently different cultures can behave. Are there a lot of masks being distributed for free there? Here only seniors can occasionally get access to masks for free, anyone else has to make them themselves or buy them. But if you spend six hours learning to work a sewing machine, at least you're not liable to chuck it over a fence.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Some larger supermarkets and train stations were offering free disposable masks at one point. I'm unsure whether they remain available. Certainly my mother, who is over 70 (though thankfully in robust health), has never been offered a free mask by any organisation.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The idea that the season will finish in time for the Euros is pretty ridiculous. I feel like they should consider keeping this calendar until the WC is over.

Reactions: Rob

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
The Genoa and Napoli players better be tested a few times before the weekend. The virus would be detectable by Saturday/Sunday morning, so negative players would be able to play.

Torino @ Genoa at 6pm local time on Saturday
Napoli @ Juventus at 8:45pm local time on Sunday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad