Coronavirus in Football

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That’s a f***ed up statement. No one deserves to be cheated on especially in a marriage.

On an unrelated note, don’t a lot of teams make most of their money from ticket/gate fees? How would no fans affect that? Does anyone think that teams would still be in a major financial trouble even if they’re able to resume playing but without fans?

Depends on the club. The ones making the most on matchday (Arsenal, Liverpool, United) seem to make about 2-3x more on tv than matchday.

Some smaller clubs make way more on tv. Like 5/6x more money on tv.

This isn't just going to be a match day issue though. Commercial/advertising revenue is going to go down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dejan Lovren is apparently a conspiracy theorist who believes the virus is a hoax to get everyone in the world vaccinated against their will and loves David Icke.

Twitter suspended his account.
This is why I can't understand people's love for Twitter. Even though those are 101% stupid and absolutely the wrong opinions, he should have a right to express it anyway. Suspending him is well within their protocol as Twitter can dictate anything they want and that's why Twitter should eventually die.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That’s a f***ed up statement. No one deserves to be cheated on especially in a marriage.

On an unrelated note, don’t a lot of teams make most of their money from ticket/gate fees? How would no fans affect that? Does anyone think that teams would still be in a major financial trouble even if they’re able to resume playing but without fans?
Nah he's an anti-vaxxer conspiracy nut, a stain to society and a bad influence on millions of Social Media followers so I don't think so...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nah he's an anti-vaxxer conspiracy nut, a stain to society and a bad influence on millions of Social Media followers so I don't think so...
It is. Absolutely no one deserves to be cheated on no matter who they are. It’s f***ed to even think that.

Reactions: YNWA14

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Swiss Ramble has done some analysis on the financial impact this situation currently has.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
This is why I can't understand people's love for Twitter. Even though those are 101% stupid and absolutely the wrong opinions, he should have a right to express it anyway. Suspending him is well within their protocol as Twitter can dictate anything they want and that's why Twitter should eventually die.
Twitter is a privately owned business and they can dictate their terms to their users.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some players/staff testing positive in initial tests for the Bundesliga clubs is going to be interesting. The positive tests with players and staff is inevitable with a virus that spreads as easily as COVID-19, and I'm interested to see how they react to it. In reality most of these guys are probably among the lowest risk population (rich, healthy, active). At the end of the day it has to be expected that they will, or have, come into contact with the virus and some will get sick (like with other viruses, diseases).

The question is do you accept that this is going to be part of the process of returning to football or do you shut it down and hope to try later? By a lot of accounts there's an expected 'second wave' to hit in the fall that could be as bad or worse than the first. A vaccine is not coming in the short term, and who knows how effective/realistic it will be ultimately.

If you don't accept the risk of some people getting sick in this situation and shut it all down you're most likely looking at not starting up until at least next summer, if that. If that's the case how many clubs will be able to survive that long of a layoff? Though, realistically, we're looking at bigger problems if society is unable to successfully work its way back into some level of normalcy in the coming months...it still begs the question what will football look like in a year or maybe more if it is all shut down and there is a big second wave?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some players/staff testing positive in initial tests for the Bundesliga clubs is going to be interesting. The positive tests with players and staff is inevitable with a virus that spreads as easily as COVID-19, and I'm interested to see how they react to it. In reality most of these guys are probably among the lowest risk population (rich, healthy, active). At the end of the day it has to be expected that they will, or have, come into contact with the virus and some will get sick (like with other viruses, diseases).

The question is do you accept that this is going to be part of the process of returning to football or do you shut it down and hope to try later? By a lot of accounts there's an expected 'second wave' to hit in the fall that could be as bad or worse than the first. A vaccine is not coming in the short term, and who knows how effective/realistic it will be ultimately.

If you don't accept the risk of some people getting sick in this situation and shut it all down you're most likely looking at not starting up until at least next summer, if that. If that's the case how many clubs will be able to survive that long of a layoff? Though, realistically, we're looking at bigger problems if society is unable to successfully work its way back into some level of normalcy in the coming months...it still begs the question what will football look like in a year or maybe more if it is all shut down and there is a big second wave?

However there are many many people around the game that are not as active healthy or even young. These players have families, the staff who also have families are not as rich or active and some are older. Even some coaches are pretty old.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some might need to accept that society is not going to just walk themselves into a situation that will put them in the hospital. They can open stuff up, but it's going to be hard to get people to want to participate in it. The way the world used to be just isn't going to exist for a few years.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
However there are many many people around the game that are not as active healthy or even young. These players have families, the staff who also have families are not as rich or active and some are older. Even some coaches are pretty old.
That's fair, but aside from those actually playing the game there's no reason why they can't still practice physical distancing. The only really unavoidable contact would be as part of the game itself. They may have to be more diligent in this situation but ultimately the highest risk is from the players themselves (which is what I meant by the above).

With things beginning to open up in many places already there's much more assumed risk from the general population (health, public transit, shared spaces, nowhere near the same infrastructure as football clubs to maintain testing, cleanliness, distancing, etc.).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's fair, but aside from those actually playing the game there's no reason why they can't still practice physical distancing. The only really unavoidable contact would be as part of the game itself. They may have to be more diligent in this situation but ultimately the highest risk is from the players themselves (which is what I meant by the above).

With things beginning to open up in many places already there's much more assumed risk from the general population (health, public transit, shared spaces, nowhere near the same infrastructure as football clubs to maintain testing, cleanliness, distancing, etc.).

How would a coach and his staff conduct training ground routines, doctors on the field, equipment managers etc. These guys will be in close quarters.

The thing is those are essential...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How would a coach and his staff conduct training ground routines, doctors on the field, equipment managers etc. These guys will be in close quarters.

The thing is those are essential...
Practice social distancing tactics on the pitch like K League :sarcasm:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

This is definitely THE question that I think no one really knows the answer to? I think it may vary league to league depending on the backing of the government. You're wading into political waters with this stuff. I don't think you're going to be able to start a league and not have someone test positive at some stage. Even these world camp style quarantine camps are great in theory, but it requires much more than clubs to run.

The NBA put out a plan that had something like 1,200-1500 people required to run a quarantined league in Orlando btw medical, trainers, refs, replay/league staff, hotels, food, buses, etc.

If your plan is to pause immediately when a player tests positive, it's not worth starting bc it's going to happen.

What's the threshold for pushing through? That's the key question and I really don't know if anyones prepared to answer that.

Reactions: YNWA14

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
German government has approved football coming back in May. They are also going to open restaurants and stores, so its not like football is the exception here. The reality of it is that they are simply withdrawing from the position that everyone can be saved from the virus. People will get sick, and they are making the political call that this is acceptable up to a level in the context of the overall social and economic situation in the country.

At least, unlike the US, they did wait until new cases actually declined before going in that direction.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Belgian FA already stated their intention to cancel the rest of the season earlier, today the government has prohibited all sports until July 31

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Also the K-league successfully kicked off today, here are the highlights from game 1:

They streamed the full game on Twitter and I believe the league will be continuing to make themselves accessible.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Belgian FA already stated their intention to cancel the rest of the season earlier, today the government has prohibited all sports until July 31

Honestly, I think it only really makes sense for leagues to come back with sizable TV deals. The cost of staging a football match is pretty similar across the board, but the TV income varies widely. I don't know what Belgian teams take in via TV rights but it's gotta be pretty small compared to Germany, England, Spain etc..

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You just have to make rules. An infected midfield player counts for 3 points while an infected goalkeeper is 1 based on how likely it is that a player infects someone else during a game. Got more than 7 points and the game is postponed.

And of course Dybala should be forced to retire.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You just have to make rules. An infected midfield player counts for 3 points while an infected goalkeeper is 1 based on how likely it is that a player infects someone else during a game. Got more than 7 points and the game is postponed.

And of course Dybala should be forced to retire.
Lool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad