Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Odd waking up in Guelph, where masks are mandatory and everyone is wearing them, despite there being almost no Covid here. Then, driving into the GTA, the epicenter of the pandemic in this country, and it's a f***in' free for all, do whatever you want.

You go to a workplace an everyone's working together, no masks or anything. Then you drive down the 401 and people are wearing masks alone in their cars...

This is going to go on forever because we're f***ing stupid.
I live in the city in a residential neighbourhood just west of downtown (can see the CN Tower from my balcony) and a good amount of people near me wear masks in the grocery store, LCBO etc. I agree that it's not enough people but it's not ignored by everyone.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Quite frankly I am shocked (well pleasantly surprised is more like it) that after some provinces had

- protests against lockdown
- BLM protests especially in big cities like TO, Montreal

There haven't been surges in the number of cases. I am cautiously optimistic that in a week or two from now it will still be the case (i.e. time for the symptoms to manifest) and we can slowly open in a healthy manner :crossfing
This weekend will mark the 3 weeks since the protests. Even on the extreme side of showing symptoms (14 days) has past.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Odd waking up in Guelph, where masks are mandatory and everyone is wearing them, despite there being almost no Covid here. Then, driving into the GTA, the epicenter of the pandemic in this country, and it's a f***in' free for all, do whatever you want.

You go to a workplace an everyone's working together, no masks or anything. Then you drive down the 401 and people are wearing masks alone in their cars...

I'm starting to believe stupid people are immune.
No one from protests seems to have caught it and myself and everyone I know are healthy.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm starting to believe stupid people are immune.
No one from protests seems to have caught it and myself and everyone I know are healthy.
Well great.... awesome, post the list of all the protesters medical records so we can proof that ourselves.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I see it too. The closer you get to downtown the less masks you see. Where it should be the exact opposite. It makes no sense to me.

It's so true. I live in King City, where the numbers have been relatively low all along, and almost everyone is wearing a mask when I go grocery shopping, to the LCBO, the bank, etc.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

Those people with masks inevitably get out of their cars and go to the grocery store, work, their apartment building, etc. You're much more likely to contaminate your masks interior if you take it off multiple times.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Those people with masks inevitably get out of their cars and go to the grocery store, work, their apartment building, etc. You're much more likely to contaminate your masks interior if you take it off multiple times.

I personally use the disposable medical masks, and I discard them after each use. I don't know why people re-use them, it does more harm than good as you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't want to jinx anything, but what a stark contrast between Canada and the U.S. regarding the overall trajectories of the pandemic at this point.

At this rate, I think we will need to keep our border closed for several more months.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't want to jinx anything, but what a stark contrast between Canada and the U.S. regarding the overall trajectories of the pandemic at this point.

At this rate, I think we will need to keep our border closed for several more months.

I guess folks in Canada trust their govt; especially when govt isnt calling it a hoax or "not too bad a situation"; more importantly - I think Canadians in general have listened to the advice from the medical professionals (exuding the protesting idiots ofcourse);

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I think they have more deaths than we have cases. That's nuts.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I guess folks in Canada trust their govt; especially when govt isnt calling it a hoax or "not too bad a situation"; more importantly - I think Canadians in general have listened to the advice from the medical professionals (exuding the protesting idiots ofcourse);

It has been like watching a bad reality TV show south of the border.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I told my wife when they announced the Stage 2 re-opening that people are going to think and act like the virus is over. She thought I was completely wrong, believing people will still be cautious.

Well, yesterday was her first day back at work at the mall. She said the mall was just as busy as it usually is, with minimal social distancing amongst people, parents bringing their little kids, and more people not wearing masks than wearing them. Then we watch the news and she sees people crowding patios and are basically within arm's distance of each other, not to mention the big lineups and groups outside, and goes to me, "What's wrong with people...do they not realize we are still in a pandemic?!" All I could say was, "Told you."

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
My question is... how many of those folks actually qent and got tested after protesting? Hard to say anything definitive when testing isnt done to the needed levels
Ontario testing has been great. They did 31,000 tests yesterday. Hospitalizations have been on a downward trend as well. There is no clear evidence to suggest that the protests caused a spike in cases. While there are a lot of ignorant people out there, a lot of people understand what were dealing with. Masks were mandatory for the protests, and from my own personal viewing of one of these protests, I couldn't see one person participating that did not have one, and people for the most part were trying to maintain distance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My question is... how many of those folks actually qent and got tested after protesting? Hard to say anything definitive when testing isnt done to the needed levels
Testing although helpful is only a tiny fraction of da solution here. When there are 10X more people with cOVID than actual cases and when 30% of tests are not conclusive due to error factor then you are right testing does not give real serious insights. What to look at is hospitalizations and deaths. And both have dropped like a stone in past month. We are coming out of this. Lets hope we don't get a 2nd wave in late fall.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Testing although helpful is only a tiny fraction of da solution here. When there are 10X more people with cOVID than actual cases and when 30% of tests are not conclusive due to error factor then you are right testing does not give real serious insights. What to look at is hospitalizations and deaths. And both have dropped like a stone in past month. We are coming out of this. Lets hope we don't get a 2nd wave in late fall.

The fact that a great majority of places have relaxed the guidelines and went to phase 2 and 3 is worrisome imho.
The states are respiking and if it spreads like it has down there it is only a matter of time until it leeches its way thru the border. Unless we build a wall of our own...

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ontario testing has been great. They did 31,000 tests yesterday. Hospitalizations have been on a downward trend as well. There is no clear evidence to suggest that the protests caused a spike in cases. While there are a lot of ignorant people out there, a lot of people understand what were dealing with. Masks were mandatory for the protests, and from my own personal viewing of one of these protests, I couldn't see one person participating that did not have one, and people for the most part were trying to maintain distance.
Yeah the Toronto protesters were very good about masking but on da streets day to day it has not been stellar. Quite frankly very surprised Toronto was down to 30 cases on such a large number of tests. But then again da tests are not very reliable yet. So when I see 30 it could mean a lot more because of high rate of false negatives. They really need to button down these errors on testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad