Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
no, the opposite.

for example, for the period they are discussing, Alberta has 4oo excess deaths this year over the very highest recent level, but only 40 have been reported as covid. this would suggest that the number of covid-related deaths is being significantly under-reported, as there are no other known explanations for those excess deaths.
That’s how it reads yes. Its not over a small sample either, it’s over years. They didn’t factor in life expectancy of the areas or give the ages of the lost citizens. Seems to me they are now willing to accept the responsibility of the 5% of lives lost by opening this up while still in phase one of a pandemic that is reaching record numbers of cases worldwide as we text here today. I understand the regional effects where there are out breaks hut the day they open borders and international flights roll again is the start of it all over again.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
no, the opposite.

for example, for the period they are discussing, Alberta has 4oo excess deaths this year over the very highest recent level, but only 40 have been reported as covid. this would suggest that the number of covid-related deaths is being significantly under-reported, as there are no other known explanations for those excess deaths.
This also brings up the concern of potential indirect deaths caused from the pandemic. Mental health related deaths, people may have been hesitant to seek medical attention for certain issues that could have turned fatal, hospitals not able to perform scheduled surgeries etc.

Pneumonia deaths in the US are also way higher than they have been the past few years. A possible explanation for that is that covid deaths were being counted as pneumonia deaths due to similar symptoms.

Once this is all done, some fascinating studies and research will come out for all different fields of research.

I personally believe what stats Can is doing might be the best way to estimate the actual numbers of deaths caused directly and indirectly by covid when this is all over.

Reactions: kb

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
A most important thing to pay attention to in this is the corporate push to have people working from home even after this subsidies. There will Be no office towers,no small businesses around these areas, cities will have a lost tax base from empty buildings or smaller buildings. Transit systems will suffer and worst of all canadian workers jobs will suffer when they outsource them to anywhere in the world that has the lowest wages and your job is then gone etc etc
Careful whatbyou ask for gecause you might get it but it will only ge until they lay you off after they have time to train cheaper labour in other countries.

If people are dumb enough to get suckered in to this play and then you lose your job, don’t whine. Just don’t. This is a corporate play that is taking shape and i just want to bring it up here because they are working this in to play as result of this virus. Its all about corporate profit.

People better not do this. I don’t work in a office tower so its not personal its about your nationality. Serious sh!t

Reactions: kb

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A most important thing to pay attention to in this is the corporate push to have people working from home even after this subsidies. There will Be no office towers,no small businesses around these areas, cities will have a lost tax base from empty buildings or smaller buildings. Transit systems will suffer and worst of all canadian workers jobs will suffer when they outsource them to anywhere in the world that has the lowest wages and your job is then gone etc etc
Careful whatbyou ask for gecause you might get it but it will only ge until they lay you off after they have time to train cheaper labour in other countries.

If people are dumb enough to get suckered in to this play and then you lose your job, don’t whine. Just don’t. This is a corporate play that is taking shape and i just want to bring it up here because they are working this in to play as result of this virus. Its all about corporate profit.

People better not do this. I don’t work in a office tower so its not personal its about your nationality. Serious sh!t

Jobs that could have been outsourced would have been outsourced regardless.

As for the corporate push to have employees work from home, it makes so much sense on many levels for both employers and employees alike. Most people I've spoken to have noticed an increase in staff productivity, and people in general have led a better quality of life as a result of having more time with loved ones.

Yes, there will be collateral damage in the commercial real estate sector, fast food industry and so forth, but I think this evolution would have happened eventually within 10 years anyway. The pandemic has just accelerated the timeline.

The workforce will adapt in due course, as has been the case throughout modern history.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

As for the corporate push to have employees work from home, it makes so much sense on many levels for both employers and employees alike. Most people I've spoken to have noticed an increase in staff productivity, and people in general have led a better quality of life as a result of having more time with loved ones.

Yes, there will be collateral damage in the commercial real estate sector, fast food industry and so forth, but I think this evolution would have happened eventually within 10 years anyway. The pandemic has just accelerated the timeline.

The workforce will adapt in due course, as has been the case throughout modern history.

Totally disagree. I have no use to further talk to you about this. Clear enough i hope

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Anyways people don’t listen to people that tell you whats good for you when they are the ones making profit from it. Your jobs will be gone. No physical work place could very well see you have no recourse legally as they would or could have no physical entity to go after under canadian law etc. You live in A very nice quiet acreage well you get less, you live in the north you get less,your live in the south you get less. You live in a expensive area well we won’t hire you because i can pay less in a cheaper area.

f*** corporations and their cronies. Maybe after everything is gone we can be a third world country with low enough wages to get sone of them jobs back on the bright side. Don’t work from home or they will supremely screw you ;)

It would suit me just fine if there was no global economy. So I’m likely more of a hawk on this than most. Doesn’t mean I’m wrong because i see past my nose

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Haha the beaches full of people elbow to elbow on the beaches. Wow. Them people suck. Can’t fix stupid and you can’t social distance it either ha. Bunch of no minds holy jeezus

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Hey fellow Leafs fans.
Do you know where I can get face masks from?
Amazon is full of scammers and overpriced masks.

Reactions: Merrrlin

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

This is a teeny bit of a overly dramatic take. :sarcasm:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Totally disagree. I have no use to further talk to you about this. Clear enough i hope
Why do you bother posting here at all if you are going to tell someone that responds to you in a constructive manner that you refuse to have a discussion with them, solely because you disagree?

Reactions: Clark4Ever

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
From a manufacturing take people have to be at work to build product and to ship. Also when sales and customer service are working from home there are many delays/errors in da plant. There are also a few more errors made when production people can't walk over and talk to customer service who can't reach sales that fast. It results in more product shipment delays/errors and more frustration on operations end with da blame game going around faster than fast. Sales people get calls from their customers who did not get exactly what they thought they were getting. Then they blame customer service. Then customer service says the PDF file from sales person was cut off and missed some important info. Bottom line is everyone needs to be in same place so things run smoothly. Daily mtgs solve almost all issues in real time. People can work more from home but it comes at a cost. and yes phones help but hard to constantly be taking pictures of product and explaining issues. Communications end up taking up too much time and people are not as productive because spending too much time on resolving issues that were not there before cOVID. and management trying to collect and pay and manage people. so when issues arise they spend too much time in expediting and then boom collections not on time and payroll not met. then people are p*ssed when money is deposited 2 days late.
There are so many issues resulting from COVID that I thought were history which are coming back. Mostly because things just take 3X longer to get done. Even grocery shopping is a {PAIN in da *ss now. Not being able to touch da golf shirts at GolfTown makes buying a shirt so much more difficult. Getting a sales rep then picking shirt for her to get then asking her to unfold and hold up so you can see size a little better. Then she gets upset when you get a little too close. and everyone apologizes and we try again. then the wait to get in store. then wait to pay. then dealing with cleaned surface and pay machine. I for one am completely done with this whole new way of doing things post COVID.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
From a manufacturing take people have to be at work to build product and to ship. Also when sales and customer service are working from home there are many delays/errors in da plant. There are also a few more errors made when production people can't walk over and talk to customer service who can't reach sales that fast. It results in more product shipment delays/errors and more frustration on operations end with da blame game going around faster than fast. Sales people get calls from their customers who did not get exactly what they thought they were getting. Then they blame customer service. Then customer service says the PDF file from sales person was cut off and missed some important info. Bottom line is everyone needs to be in same place so things run smoothly. Daily mtgs solve almost all issues in real time. People can work more from home but it comes at a cost. and yes phones help but hard to constantly be taking pictures of product and explaining issues. Communications end up taking up too much time and people are not as productive because spending too much time on resolving issues that were not there before cOVID. and management trying to collect and pay and manage people. so when issues arise they spend too much time in expediting and then boom collections not on time and payroll not met. then people are p*ssed when money is deposited 2 days late.
There are so many issues resulting from COVID that I thought were history which are coming back. Mostly because things just take 3X longer to get done. Even grocery shopping is a {PAIN in da *ss now. Not being able to touch da golf shirts at GolfTown makes buying a shirt so much more difficult. Getting a sales rep then picking shirt for her to get then asking her to unfold and hold up so you can see size a little better. Then she gets upset when you get a little too close. and everyone apologizes and we try again. then the wait to get in store. then wait to pay. then dealing with cleaned surface and pay machine. I for one am completely done with this whole new way of doing things post COVID.
Everyone is, but that doesn't mean it's going away soon.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Why do you bother posting here at all if you are going to tell someone that responds to you in a constructive manner that you refuse to have a discussion with them, solely because you disagree?

Thank you. I was going to respond in a like minded manner, but it probably would have fallen on deaf ears.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Well the mileage is going to vary office to office, mostly depending on how competent your management is and whether they are capable of making adjustments to employee expectations and internal processes and procedures. I'm not going to pretend to know how your workplace is run but the examples you gave indicate mismanagement to me.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well the mileage is going to vary office to office, mostly depending on how competent your management is and whether they are capable of making adjustments to employee expectations and internal processes and procedures. I'm not going to pretend to know how your workplace is run but the examples you gave indicate mismanagement to me.
We had our business board of trade mtg on ZOOM yesterday for Mississauga. What a gong show. It was a complete b*tch session with complaints. Very very large businesses completely t*cked off with COVID issues. There are going to be some very large layoffs announced soon due to cOVID problems. Quite a few companies firing mgmt and sales execs now. I did not realize until yesterday how many companies are truly suffering very badly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is a teeny bit of a overly dramatic take. :sarcasm:
You believe what you want. How do you know it is. You been living under a rock of how corporations act or something. Anyways I don’t care what you think. If you burn from it just remember this a teeny bit.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Hmm.

It is of great concern how out of control the the virus is running through the US.

I hope we take notes, and continue to take precautions as we open. I am happy for all small restaurants that will be allowed to open, and I hope they can generate some business, but let's learn from our southern neighbours what can happen if we go all out.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Cannot agree more.
I think this pandemic pretty much speed up for a lot of companies going home office.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We had our business board of trade mtg on ZOOM yesterday for Mississauga. What a gong show. It was a complete b*tch session with complaints. Very very large businesses completely t*cked off with COVID issues. There are going to be some very large layoffs announced soon due to cOVID problems. Quite a few companies firing mgmt and sales execs now. I did not realize until yesterday how many companies are truly suffering very badly.
Think it is a combination of COVID and drop of business that is frustrating people.
We have to accept the World really changed since Feb 2020, and what we thought was normal just a few months ago might never happen.
For starter, I love the fact that when I go out and buy stuff or banking, there is no crowd hovering over me. But I don’t like it that I might have to line up 20mins outside the store when I can see the store is half empty.
We just need to adjust and quite frankly, social distancing will be here to stay at least for the next few months.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Went through WHO numbers Belgium has been devastated by deaths per population at a significantly higher rate then every other country. Spain, UK and Italy badly hit too. Clearly appears Europe was hit doubly as hard as here. Sweden drops in at next level down from that group with France.

We are running around half of Europe levels today. Hopefully it does not get worse as things open back up.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You believe what you want. How do you know it is. You been living under a rock of how corporations act or something. Anyways I don’t care what you think. If you burn from it just remember this a teeny bit.

Then why respond to my post with questions? Yes, I live under a rock.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
"Totally disagree. I have no use to further talk to you about this. Clear enough i hope"

"I don't care what you think"

Why do you even post here if you are going to respond to people this way?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Went through WHO numbers Belgium has been devastated by deaths per population at a significantly higher rate then every other country. Spain, UK and Italy badly hit too. Clearly appears Europe was hit doubly as hard as here. Sweden drops in at next level down from that group with France.

We are running around half of Europe levels today. Hopefully it does not get worse as things open back up.

Quite frankly I am shocked (well pleasantly surprised is more like it) that after some provinces had

- protests against lockdown
- BLM protests especially in big cities like TO, Montreal

There haven't been surges in the number of cases. I am cautiously optimistic that in a week or two from now it will still be the case (i.e. time for the symptoms to manifest) and we can slowly open in a healthy manner :crossfing

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Odd waking up in Guelph, where masks are mandatory and everyone is wearing them, despite there being almost no Covid here. Then, driving into the GTA, the epicenter of the pandemic in this country, and it's a f***in' free for all, do whatever you want.

You go to a workplace an everyone's working together, no masks or anything. Then you drive down the 401 and people are wearing masks alone in their cars...

This is going to go on forever because we're f***ing stupid.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad