Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
outside of NYC, cases in the US have been steadily rising for awhile now, it's just that NYC was hit so hard that when it started to subside there, it obscured the story for the rest of the country. things are getting bad in texas, california, arizona, and florida. PA has been doing a good job, as has massachussetts where i work.

but this is far from over. it's going to get much worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rumor from a friend who has a friend who works for the Allegheny County health department, Allegheny is going to see a shitload of new COVID-19 cases today. The number I heard was 45, with the median age of 28. We'll be able to see in a few hours if this rumor is legit.

Ended up being true:

Massive spike, the largest single day total in a long time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've been in South Carolina for 24 years now (minus the season I spent interning with the Pens in 2011-12). I'm still not used to this bullshit and want to get out.

Yeah, man. I feel you. The first time I went to Memphis in the summer, I nearly died, and the locals were calling me a wuss because it was only like 85. :laugh:

That said, I think Chicago really has some of the worst weather in the US. It's 105+ in the summer, and -35 in the winter. :laugh: At least SC doesn't get that brutal, bitter cold that makes you feel like you'll never ever be warm again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, man. I feel you. The first time I went to Memphis in the summer, I nearly died, and the locals were calling me a wuss because it was only like 85. :laugh:

That said, I think Chicago really has some of the worst weather in the US. It's 105+ in the summer, and -35 in the winter. :laugh: At least SC doesn't get that brutal, bitter cold that makes you feel like you'll never ever be warm again.

I thought I knew cold until I visited my wife’s hometown for the first time.

We got there at night, it was -40 and it was so cold I almost pissed myself when I got out of the car.

My wife ran in to warm herself by the fire while my dumb ass unloaded the car.

My father in law to be stood at the front door and opened it every time I brought shit in.

He was the kind of weathered hard ass that didn’t suffer fools and knew when to stay out of that kind of cold.

I know he was laughing at me every time I came in with a twisted look of anguish on my face...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To be fair though we want to stay away from the ole double ups before it gets massively out of hand. So if 22 goes to 45 and 45 to 90. We know that can escalate quickly. But let's just do our part!

I will say.. I'm disappointed with the mask component. I think there needs to be A LOT more focus on masks/social distancing. I'll add myself to that. I need to take better care of my peers. We can really really really do great things if we just keep 2 things simple: 1) Wear a f***ing mask; 2) Practice social distancing.

People at stores... BE AWARE OF YOUR f***ING SURROUNDINGS. :laugh:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
45, no deaths, out of a 1.2 million population in Allegheny County is massive?

You can make arguments about the lack of precautions being taken in states like Florida and Arizona, but there's also plenty of examples of the other extreme when people act like 45 new cases in the largest county in western PA is some huge spike, or a handful of NHL players and staff out of hundreds tested are positive when common sense suggested that was always going to be the case.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When you are dealing with numbers that low, 22 or 45 out of 1.2 million, a one day sample is called statistical noise.

It seems like an exercise in an attempt to squeeze dubious data size to fit a narrative.

It may turn out to be so, but today's numbers are not anywhere close to making a definitive case.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Apparently we've had the fewest fatalities in a day since march.
nationwide i assume you mean as we never have more than 0-1 deaths a day here anymore, but yeah, tracks with what we've seen globally and increased treatment options

Fordy

May 28, 2008
It was the most cases reported since the beginning of May, so of course it's a massive spike. How can you argue that increasing over 100% is not a huge spike?
well because it's based on such a low quantity of cases to begin with, referring to a relative number like a percentage is going to be misleading. the thing is, according to upmc, even at the beginning of may with that number, and when numbers like that were normal for us, we still never saw more than 1% or 2% hospital utilization, which is what this is all about

i've watched the achd video now, and it looks like they're indicating these cases are by and large related to travel out of state or gatherings of young people who aren't at risk

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
nationwide i assume you mean as we never have more than 0-1 deaths a day here anymore, but yeah, tracks with what we've seen globally and increased treatment options
Yes, nationwide, I should have been more clear.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most of the pictures of the protests I've seen had protestors masked up. I don't know the real stats, or if anyone bothered to do some estimates, but that's a bit of a different situation than spring breakers on the beach, no?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Most of the pictures of the protests I've seen had protestors masked up. I don't know the real stats, or if anyone bothered to do some estimates, but that's a bit of a different situation than spring breakers on the beach, no?

Many were.

An alarming number weren't.

I thought that we established that stupidity and selfishness transcended red and blue.

There are a percentage of people, alarmingly large, that are simply dicks and terrible excuses for human beings. They exist seemingly in equal numbers on the right and left.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Uh the protests started 4 weeks ago.

So since large gatherings end, it's your supposition that the virus magically dissipates?
. If 1 person had the virus they gave it to multiple people. Then those people have their own incubation period and so on

Deaths/positive results are a lagging indicator of
transmittal ratios

Reactions: ColePens

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’m saying nothing about left/right, Jaded. Don’t be petty. I’m saying even a mere majority of people wearing masks are going to have a lower rate of transmission than large gatherings of people who refuse to wear any kind of mask.

Wear your damn masks.

Reactions: Factorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad