Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I’m saying nothing about left/right, Jaded. Don’t be petty. I’m saying even a mere majority of people wearing masks are going to have a lower rate of transmission than large gatherings of people who refuse to wear any kind of mask.

Wear your damn masks.

Agree completely.

Sadly I am not the target of your advice.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I’m saying nothing about left/right, Jaded. Don’t be petty. I’m saying even a mere majority of people wearing masks are going to have a lower rate of transmission than large gatherings of people who refuse to wear any kind of mask.

Wear your damn masks.

Colin Dunlap would like to have a word (he is the worst)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So this is what pisses me off. Science says practicing social distancing and wearing a mask will really help against the fight of this virus. Then we get people saying "If it's not a law.. i'm not obeying it."

How is that a thing. Why do things have to be a law when they help one another out? Why?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another thing that sucks about COVID-19 is that it's really showing how big of idiots most of the Pittsburgh sports media is. Like these people are genuinely brain dead outside of sports, and they're not much better when it comes to sports.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So since large gatherings end, it's your supposition that the virus magically dissipates?
. If 1 person had the virus they gave it to multiple people. Then those people have their own incubation period and so on

Deaths/positive results are a lagging indicator of
transmittal ratios

And also this. The disease came waaay before March but the build up in March was due to what occurred prior. Then we shut down and it didn't look drastically bad only to face about 4-5 terrible weeks of gaining even though we were shutting down.

If that was the trend, I expect it to follow. So i think looking at that gradual climb is important and knowing when to cap it off. But 100% should be what we follow.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm just glad and it seems by many of your posts that we're collectively doing the right thing and making a concerted effort to follow CDC guidelines. I want to have a clear conscience about such matters. I wouldn't want to be responsible for getting anyone sick. And that appears to be something that is a common theme here regardless of party affiliations. I can't conclusively say it'll matter much in the scheme of things, but at least we are doing our part.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So since large gatherings end, it's your supposition that the virus magically dissipates?
. If 1 person had the virus they gave it to multiple people. Then those people have their own incubation period and so on

Deaths/positive results are a lagging indicator of
transmittal ratios
This is true, deaths lag much more than positives though. I was actually really surprised we didn't see huge spikes 1-2 weeks after the largest protests. Maybe being outside is a big difference maker, but I really don't know.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Another thing that sucks about COVID-19 is that it's really showing how big of idiots most of the Pittsburgh sports media is. Like these people are genuinely brain dead outside of sports, and they're not much better when it comes to sports.
So true. Idiots like Madden (I would prefer to use a different, more powerful descriptor for that POS, but @ColePens has a hard enough job, so I'll respectfully chill), and to a lesser extent, Dunlap are just embarrassing, and I'm trying to be nice.

Reactions: ColePens

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
45, no deaths, out of a 1.2 million population in Allegheny County is massive?

Assuming Allegheny County has about ~1.25M people, the guidance for green is 50 new cases per 100k over previous 14 days which is about 45/day. If this is a one day spike, then yeah it is worrying over a blip. However, if it is sustained then, it would mean that the county would go back to yellow (if people actually followed their own guidance). Didn't the county go to green about 2 weeks ago? I'd assume some sort of uptick was inevitable from that.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So this is what pisses me off. Science says practicing social distancing and wearing a mask will really help against the fight of this virus. Then we get people saying "If it's not a law.. i'm not obeying it."

How is that a thing. Why do things have to be a law when they help one another out? Why?

I joke about this, but if people didn't behave as such I would be out of a job (I'm in HR).

I wouldn't have to write/interpret policy, offer guidance on how to handle idiots who run afoul.

Pareto effect: 80% of the problems are caused by 20% of the people

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^ To that point, this is where I lose a bit of empathy. When we shut back down, I don't want anyone complaining. All we had to do was practice social distancing, which a lot of us want to do anyway, and wear a mask. Those 2 things could have kept us viable and steady while science did its thing. And at the very end of the day, that's a small ask in a big time world problem. And if we cannot come together for THAT... welp we are a selfish society.

**Please note I know A LOT of people here are practicing safe social distancing and wearing masks. Hell I am, too. But we are part of society and even if it is a small amount that is ruining it - we all get affected by it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was in downtown Pittsburgh Friday night. Nearly everyone was wearing masks and were wearing them properly. Social distancing was also being followed. Maybe 90% followed the rules.

Sunday, I was in the Bridgeville area for Father's Day dinner. People weren't following the rules nearly as much. I'd say about 60% were.

And then yesterday/today in WV nearly no one is doing anything about it. Businesses are, but individuals are not.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
there won't be a shutdown, idk why no one ever takes my offer to bet on it...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

that whole event was a shit show reading about it....group pictures with ball boys, partying, lack of distancing etc...it’s like Joker decided he’d rather have the virus than worry about whether he’d need to vaccinated to play in a future ATP tour event...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad