Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you do not want to look at this thread, simply ignore it.

If you are going to attack others, you will be removed.

If you cannot control you anger/frustration, do not post here. I know it's tough right now. I understand that. But if you cannot control your anger/frustration, you won't keep this thread on track in any way. There are PLENTY of posters who expressed their frustration in an incredible way that was great for discussion.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The Best Coronavirus Face Mask Materials, According To A New Study

5e99b87e220000fc028272ef.jpeg

Hey that is a pretty cool spread sheet data percentage.

Do you have the source or what they did and used in the tests? (because I'm interested)

Also, you have to consider masks getting reused, which I would to say, basically everyone does this. So with that, comes your hands around your eyes nose and mouth adjusting your mask. Re-using your mask in general - (touching it, moving it, breathing onto it, dust / dirt / other people being near it) - and then touching IT and touching your face.

With a mask my hands are constantly around my face. How many people go into a store, put the mask on as they walk in, shop, touching dozens of food packaging, pay with card or money at checkout, touching cash or MAC machine, then grab their bags, get out of the store, TOUCH their face and remove mask.

Not to mention people hacking up loogy's, sneezing, coughing, clearing their throat, talking (spittle) going into the mask / cloth... and just sitting there... bacteria (bad kind) festering there on your face with that nice warm hot air where nasty shit loves to grow and multiply.... then people touch their faces.... so gross

---
Makes me remember back to boot camp. hundreds of people, nuts to butts, then living with 200 people in the same big room (we were the first male / female division so instead of 100 people we swapped 100 men and women to sleep and do hygienic stuff with your own sex). Anyways, I was a germaphobe, still am... but controlled ... to a point... and I was deathly worried about sharing a canteen and washing my clothes with 1000's of other people. They wash canteens in bleach water and thats it... you just randomly pick a clean one up... never keeping your own... a germophobes worst nightmare =P
Oh... my point, I was sick the entire boot camp. 10 horrible weeks. My Chief called my typhoid mary because every week i'd get some nasty new ailment. I had to get 2 peanut butter shots becaues I was so sick (everyone got 1... but me). That is what happens when you throw in hundreds of people from around the country... and world... together in a small room for weeks.

Sorry this went long, I just wanted the source and ending up babbling.... just had my coffee.

Reactions: Borgir

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Wait, 2,175 cases COUNTY-WIDE? Jesus. That's 1/5 of what we have in our entire country, and the population of the Czech Republic is about 10x that of Allegheny County. Not good, people. Wear your damn masks.

Reactions: EightyOne

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wait, 2,175 cases COUNTY-WIDE? Jesus. That's 1/5 of what we have in our entire country, and the population of the Czech Republic is about 10x that of Allegheny County. Not good, people. Wear your damn masks.

And Allegheny County is doing really ****ing good compared to most urban counties.

LA County is pretty close in population Czechia...we're at 3,112 deaths. According to the LA Times we're at 81,709 confirmed cases with 2,033 confirmed cases today (+46 deaths).

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And Allegheny County is doing really ****ing good compared to most urban counties.

LA County is pretty close in population Czechia...we're at 3,112 deaths. According to the LA Times we're at 81,709 confirmed cases with 2,033 confirmed cases today (+46 deaths).

That's nuts. I knew the US was falling behind in cases, but I hadn't been following the news that closely. I had just assumed the 2,000+ figure was for the Western PA region, for some reason. Those numbers definitely blow a hole in the assumption that the virus hits areas harder based on public transportation, given that Pittsburgh and LA barely have anything that could be generously termed public transportation. :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
San Francisco (city and county are coextensive) has 900k people compared to 1.2 mil for Allegheny County and we’re much denser. We have 3,058 known cases and 47 deaths...that’s right, only 47 deaths...crazy

And consider the median age of Allegheny County in comparison. Yes, we no longer are pretty close to the oldest median aged county in the country as we once were. Many young people moved in with Google, Amazon, etc.

But we still are up there.

Making what Allegheny County has done with Coronavirus even more impressive.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hey that is a pretty cool spread sheet data percentage.

Do you have the source or what they did and used in the tests? (because I'm interested)

Also, you have to consider masks getting reused, which I would to say, basically everyone does this. So with that, comes your hands around your eyes nose and mouth adjusting your mask. Re-using your mask in general - (touching it, moving it, breathing onto it, dust / dirt / other people being near it) - and then touching IT and touching your face.

With a mask my hands are constantly around my face. How many people go into a store, put the mask on as they walk in, shop, touching dozens of food packaging, pay with card or money at checkout, touching cash or MAC machine, then grab their bags, get out of the store, TOUCH their face and remove mask.

Not to mention people hacking up loogy's, sneezing, coughing, clearing their throat, talking (spittle) going into the mask / cloth... and just sitting there... bacteria (bad kind) festering there on your face with that nice warm hot air where nasty shit loves to grow and multiply.... then people touch their faces.... so gross

---
Makes me remember back to boot camp. hundreds of people, nuts to butts, then living with 200 people in the same big room (we were the first male / female division so instead of 100 people we swapped 100 men and women to sleep and do hygienic stuff with your own sex). Anyways, I was a germaphobe, still am... but controlled ... to a point... and I was deathly worried about sharing a canteen and washing my clothes with 1000's of other people. They wash canteens in bleach water and thats it... you just randomly pick a clean one up... never keeping your own... a germophobes worst nightmare =P
Oh... my point, I was sick the entire boot camp. 10 horrible weeks. My Chief called my typhoid mary because every week i'd get some nasty new ailment. I had to get 2 peanut butter shots becaues I was so sick (everyone got 1... but me). That is what happens when you throw in hundreds of people from around the country... and world... together in a small room for weeks.

Sorry this went long, I just wanted the source and ending up babbling.... just had my coffee.

I googled the pictures not sure of the source. Some pictures had them at the bottom. They all looked fairly similar.

You definitely need to wash or sanitise your hands before removing and a quick wash of the mask at the end of the day. There’s probably some that don’t do that but every little bit helps. COVID will dry out on fabric too so hopefully that takes care of things for those that don’t wash them regularly.

Reactions: LOGiK

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I guarantee it was in CA by December...Maybe November.

So many people at work had really weird quasi flu. Like. We were joking wtf is going on this year, about it. Considering we work with a wide range of citizens across the entire spectrum, it's so damn likely the bug was passing through us already.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Aussie football got its first case since the restart.
AFL 2020: Conor McKenna, AFL coronavirus, AFL positive coronavirus, Essendon, Bombers, AFL suspended, Essendon Melbourne

They have all their protocols in place but this (below) will make things trickier.

“The researchers estimated that those tested with SARS-CoV-2 in the four days after infection were 67 percent more likely to test negative, even if they had the virus. When the average patient began displaying symptoms of the virus, the false-negative rate was 38 percent. The test performed best eight days after infection (on average, three days after symptom onset), but even then had a false negative rate of 20 percent, meaning one in five people who had the virus had a negative test result.“

COVID-19 Genetic PCR Tests Give False Negative Results if Used Too Early

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rumor from a friend who has a friend who works for the Allegheny County health department, Allegheny is going to see a shitload of new COVID-19 cases today. The number I heard was 45, with the median age of 28. We'll be able to see in a few hours if this rumor is legit.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

"PA Hopes to Avoid Coronavirus Surge Seen in Other States"

"Mary Lou Wilson of Tarentum wore one inside the grocery store “for other people’s protection,” she said. “I don’t want to make anybody sick, and I don’t want to breathe in anybody else’s germs.”

Giant Eagle also requires masks.

Of 50 people who were observed entering the Giant Eagle in New Kensington one day last week, 48 wore a face covering.

At the Walmart in Natrona Heights, 36 out of 50 people observed wore a mask.

Lil Blandford was one of those who entered barefaced.

“I don’t want to [wear a mask],” she said. “They bother me. I can’t breathe good.”

Another Walmart shopper, Gene Strazzer, said he doesn’t believe the masks are important, but wore one anyway.
“I don’t want to upset anybody,” he said.

There is a presumption that people with covid-19 are out in public, said Doug Reed, an associate professor of immunology at Pitt’s Center for Vaccine Research. He advocates wearing masks, particularly in crowded indoor settings.

“The primary concern right now is that we don’t know who might have the disease. Symptomatic people, that’s fairly easy to see,” Reed said. “But we know there are people who may not yet be symptomatic and might not ever be symptomatic.”

Wearing a mask can prevent those asymptomatic carriers from spreading the virus, Reed said.

Reed acknowledged that most people aren’t wearing medical-grade masks, which means they’re not a perfect solution. Coupled with social distancing, they can be effective, he said.

“The mask alone isn’t sufficient. The social distancing by itself isn’t sufficient. The two combined work together to make the situation better,” he explained."

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
It took Erie County, PA about a month and a half to move from "yellow" to "green". By the the longest that I've heard of. Let's see how they handle going "green" next Friday...

Erie shouldn't be moving to "green", they don't meet the metrics for it. It feels like pressure from local officials who wanted to open things up were responsible for the move. The main metric that Erie was missing was the case count per capita. I think the threshold was 50 per 100k population over the last 14 days which is on average about 9 or so for Erie which has about 250k people, but Erie had been getting more than Allegheny even though they are just a fraction of their size.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I googled the pictures not sure of the source. Some pictures had them at the bottom. They all looked fairly similar.

You definitely need to wash or sanitise your hands before removing and a quick wash of the mask at the end of the day. There’s probably some that don’t do that but every little bit helps. COVID will dry out on fabric too so hopefully that takes care of things for those that don’t wash them regularly.

Gotcha.

I never thought of looking up effectiveness rates... even if for other reasons non cv.

Say as in, if demo'ing or something.... breathing some of that stuff is dangerous... seeing which barrier does what is interesting.

Ehhh and that reminds me... when I'd visit NYC and said this before, but after a day walking nyc and you blow your nose and all this black gunk comes out is absolutely friggin disgusting. I wonder if a simple cloth would filter that out or it'd take an actual mask.... NYC is such a dump...

Gotta find how they test it though... I'll look for testing procedures when I get a minute.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

"PA Hopes to Avoid Coronavirus Surge Seen in Other States"

"Mary Lou Wilson of Tarentum wore one inside the grocery store “for other people’s protection,” she said. “I don’t want to make anybody sick, and I don’t want to breathe in anybody else’s germs.”

Giant Eagle also requires masks.

Of 50 people who were observed entering the Giant Eagle in New Kensington one day last week, 48 wore a face covering.

At the Walmart in Natrona Heights, 36 out of 50 people observed wore a mask.

Lil Blandford was one of those who entered barefaced.

“I don’t want to [wear a mask],” she said. “They bother me. I can’t breathe good.”

Another Walmart shopper, Gene Strazzer, said he doesn’t believe the masks are important, but wore one anyway.
“I don’t want to upset anybody,” he said.

There is a presumption that people with covid-19 are out in public, said Doug Reed, an associate professor of immunology at Pitt’s Center for Vaccine Research. He advocates wearing masks, particularly in crowded indoor settings.

“The primary concern right now is that we don’t know who might have the disease. Symptomatic people, that’s fairly easy to see,” Reed said. “But we know there are people who may not yet be symptomatic and might not ever be symptomatic.”

Wearing a mask can prevent those asymptomatic carriers from spreading the virus, Reed said.

Reed acknowledged that most people aren’t wearing medical-grade masks, which means they’re not a perfect solution. Coupled with social distancing, they can be effective, he said.

“The mask alone isn’t sufficient. The social distancing by itself isn’t sufficient. The two combined work together to make the situation better,” he explained."

Every store has AC so it's pretty much a non issue to wear face covering.

In my experience, I went to pick up chinese food the other day and they don't have AC and it's blazing hot inside that little area... I had to take my mask off while I waited, I got dizzy from not being able to breath... - there was only one other customer and he left so I took it off.

I donno how people do it in the heat... as in down south or around the world.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You just get used to it, I guess. I used to work with vermiculite when I worked in a plant that made various different undercoatings and you needed to wear face covering with that shit even in the 95+ heat of various machines, being by the mixers, working with hot tar, etc. It sucked for a while, but then my last few summers, I didn't even notice it.

I'm glad I live somewhere more temperate now though. My years of ridiculously hot Chicago summers are long over.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Every store has AC so it's pretty much a non issue to wear face covering.

In my experience, I went to pick up chinese food the other day and they don't have AC and it's blazing hot inside that little area... I had to take my mask off while I waited, I got dizzy from not being able to breath... - there was only one other customer and he left so I took it off.

I donno how people do it in the heat... as in down south or around the world.

I'm not going out but when I do I'll not wear it outdoors (its either walking my dog, going for a walk, or walking to the store) so the worst of the heat and humidity I'm not bothering. You're pretty safe in those situations so I feel okay about it. Once I'm in the store I throw it on.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
You just get used to it, I guess. I used to work with vermiculite when I worked in a plant that made various different undercoatings and you needed to wear face covering with that shit even in the 95+ heat of various machines, being by the mixers, working with hot tar, etc. It sucked for a while, but then my last few summers, I didn't even notice it.

I'm glad I live somewhere more temperate now though. My years of ridiculously hot Chicago summers are long over.

I've been in South Carolina for 24 years now (minus the season I spent interning with the Pens in 2011-12). I'm still not used to this bullshit and want to get out.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad