Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My wife showed me the perfect analogy someone on social media wrote describing the pandemic in the states...

“The US trying to fight coronavirus is like me when I give up trying to get a six pack after only two months, because it’s easier to tell myself abs aren’t real”

Merica!

Old Man Fights His Way Into Walmart Without a Mask, Gets Kicked Out

Get one of those electric belt like strap thing you velcro around your waist and it vibrates and stimulates simulating an intense ab workout

and

if your losing your hair in old age ... you can also buy that hat that has those lasers that stimulate hair growth.... or something...

iu

get ripped and grow your hair back while doing nothing for only 49.99!

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And this is why I warned about reading too much into one day ups, or downs for that matter, as statistical noise when you are dealing with small samples of population and small time frames. In this case a day.

Don't read too much into this decrease either.

Reactions: Fordy and ColePens

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
You lost money in the last couple of months?

Then you are in serious need of a better stock broker.

Or better yet none at all, and simply put it into a total stock market index fund.

Haha, I’m holding SPY puts... I have a hedge in place. I’m also referring to a small options account I play around with, not actual retirement money.

Also FWIW I’d be cautious on being too bullish. The market is extreme fragile right now. Dow futures dropped 400 points last night after Navarro said the China trade deal was dead... it quickly jumped back up after he and trump walked back his comments.

Peter Navarro walks back statement implying trade deal between Trump, China is 'over'

The fed is artificially pumping the market and coronavirus cases are booming in some states.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
My organization of like 1500 employees has at LEAST 30 positive right now...all popped up over last ten days

We're required to mask up...but I know many weren't wearing very properly

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
For those interested in the protests affecting or not affecting COVID transmission, the National Bureau of Economic Research has an interesting working paper out now based on analyzing cellphone data that makes an interesting argument that the protests actually increased social distancing for the majority of cities they took place in (due to far larger numbers of people avoiding the protests than the protesters/counterprotesters), while cities without protests saw actually saw less social distancing, because people ignored social distancing recommendations and proceeded to act as if life was back to normal. Or more normal, I guess. :laugh:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

It's an interesting argument that makes quite a bit of logical sense, but I'd also like to see some actual hard data regarding infection rates for people that have attended protests/counter-protests, but I doubt anyone has any as of yet.

Also, while my math skills are decent for a humanities guy, I'd be curious what the actually math-literate people on the board think about the paper. :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Haha, I’m holding SPY puts... I have a hedge in place. I’m also referring to a small options account I play around with, not actual retirement money.

Also FWIW I’d be cautious on being too bullish. The market is extreme fragile right now. Dow futures dropped 400 points last night after Navarro said the China trade deal was dead... it quickly jumped back up after he and trump walked back his comments.

Peter Navarro walks back statement implying trade deal between Trump, China is 'over'

The fed is artificially pumping the market and coronavirus cases are booming in some states.

I never look short term. So I don't care what the market does today, tomorrow, next week or over the next two years.

First of all I am not retired or retiring in the next year, although we might a little after. At least partially. So unless you are retiring you should not care what the market does. And if you were smart in building your retirement assets you will be fine then, even all in stocks.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Redfield said at a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing that the number of contact tracers has increased from around 6,000 in January to around 28,000 as of early June. But he said the country needs to "continue to increase in my view towards 100,000."

"That's going to be critical for what we're doing," he said.

Once a person tests positive for coronavirus, a contact tracer interviews them to find out who they have recently been in close contact with, and then calls those people to warn them of their exposure and encourage them to quarantine for 14 days to prevent further spread of the virus.

To be honest that is much better than I thought and goes a long ways toward making me feel safer about where we may be in the fall.

People keep panicking about a potential second wave in the fall. Which is a legitimate worry. However it seems to assume that we have been standing still and doing nothing which is far from true. Tracing does not get much attention but is very important in controlling a huge spike. Treatments are being developed. We will have some tools to deal with any spike and hopefully to control it to manageable levels.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I never look short term. So I don't care what the market does today, tomorrow, next week or over the next two years.

First of all I am not retired or retiring in the next year, although we might a little after. At least partially. So unless you are retiring you should not care what the market does. And if you were smart in building your retirement assets you will be fine then, even all in stocks.

Fair enough — I’ve learned a great deal from trading derivatives first hand (eg, how to hedge properly). I consider that invaluable at 26 yrs old. My 401k is 100% allocated in a target fund. I have student loan debt so my spare money goes towards repaying that debt than investing in equities. Long term, I’d like to build up an equities account and sell covered calls once I have the means to do so.

Options are inherently short term, high risk and not for everybody.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fair enough — I’ve learned a great deal from trading derivatives first hand (eg, how to hedge properly). I consider that invaluable at 26 yrs old. My 401k is 100% allocated in a target fund. I have student loan debt so my spare money goes towards repaying that debt than investing in equities. Long term, I’d like to build up an equities account and sell covered calls once I have the means to do so.

Options are inherently short term, high risk and not for everybody.

I am not a gambler. That said there are a million ways to skin a cat. My way worked, and continues to work, for me. I may not be in on the ground floor of the next Amazon, but I know that I will steadily grow at a very good rate, historically it has been 12.5% before accounting for inflation and including dividends, and that is good enough for me.

That total compounds as well. Which over time becomes amazing.

As Einstein said, compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. Those who understand it earn it. Those who do not pay it.

Reactions: That1Kid

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Looks like Trump claimed there will be a “generous” second round of stimulus checks coming.

However he may be twisting words according to Forbes:

No, Trump Didn’t Say There Would Be Second Stimulus Checks

From what I gather, the talks will re-heat when our lazy senators come back to work and a decision will likely be made by Aug 8th before they go back for their always well earned August nap.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Yea I can see why they're calling this a kangaroo market. There's a ton of unpredictability now. I'm not into the calls and options- i'm not at that level, but I'm doing ok doing penny swing trades for the past 4 months.

Reactions: That1Kid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm thinking Trump's only committing to a second round of stimulus checks because his polling numbers are tanking and he absolutely bungled the George Floyd protests, so he wants to get some sort of good will prior to the election to help his reelection odds.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have seen talks of a second stimulus coming from both sides. I'm sure it'll happen, but yanno... sooner would be better than later.

I expect it to go to the wire (Aug 8) and then if there are Stimulus checks, they will be sent out by early Sept.

I'm thinking Trump's only committing to a second round of stimulus checks because his polling numbers are tanking and he absolutely bungled the George Floyd protests, so he wants to get some sort of good will prior to the election to help his reelection odds.

I can’t write what I’m thinking, so I’ll just say no duh.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Looks like Trump claimed there will be a “generous” second round of stimulus checks coming.

However he may be twisting words according to Forbes:

No, Trump Didn’t Say There Would Be Second Stimulus Checks

From what I gather, the talks will re-heat when our lazy senators come back to work and a decision will likely be made by Aug 8th before they go back for their always well earned August nap.

It would be nice to get the first one. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad