OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I wonder if the subway platforms may be more of a problem than the subways itself.

The ventilation is non-existent and the air quality is horrible at most stations. And in normal times, the platforms get very crowded during rush hour, especially when there are delays.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This could be the dumbest article I have ever read.

Nothing against you Snowblind. But the logic in this article flies in the face of everything else we have been told thus far. Then again it isn't like the NYTimes have been concerned over the last 20 years or so with their articles having any integrity.

I didn't write the article so no worries, haha.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
196623125_10208793439111521_9156908075046415989_n.jpg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I got my second shot of the Pfizer vaccine on March 16. On April 23rd I had a stem cell transplant. It pretty much wiped out every vaccine I’ve had since I was a child. A 6 month wait for revaccination for all that. That will be towards the end of October—4 sets of 6 shots is what they told me. On the Covid vaccine because it’s something new they don’t have a lot to go with and tell me they don’t know and have these intervening months to figure out whether I need revaccination for that but I’m assuming I will.

By the way everything has gone very well….I’m more or less going to be housebound until 2022 though which is a pain in the ass but one day at a time. Hoping I’ll get the go ahead to at least drink the occasional beer pretty soon.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Dude what the f*** happened to the auto industry during this shit? I go to a car dealership now and it’s like I have to convince the sales person to sell the car to me.

Chip shortage and other issues. Two-vehicle households should seriously consider selling one of their vehicles if they can make do with just one for a while. I bought a CPO in November that I could trade in for 10% higher than what I paid for it, but then I’d have to replace it with an equally marked up car...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kane One

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Dealers want good quality used cars badly. Some late-MY cars have even appreciated, according to some reports.

Edit: what Crease said about appreciation

Reactions: Kane One

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Dealers want good quality used cars badly. Some late-MY cars have even appreciated, according to some reports.

Edit: what Crease said about appreciation
I was considering buying out of my lease on a Sentra to buy a Tesla. I decided not to because charging is going to be an issue.

The crazy thing is that I could have potentially profited by getting out of the lease, according to the payoff quote and KBB.

Reactions: will1066

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Dude what the f*** happened to the auto industry during this shit? I go to a car dealership now and it’s like I have to convince the sales person to sell the car to me.

It is crazy. Part of the reason I rushed to buy a new car in early May after we sold our house. Inventory was getting low and through Costco I got a new SUV for 7k below MSRP. You should still be able to get a car below MSRP through the Costco auto buying program, although the discounts may not be as steep as they were a few months ago.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm at Disney right now. It's a bit concerning because where we were today, Epcot, has a policy that if you're fully vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask when inside, but you do if you're not fully vaccinated. When inside? A literal >99% of people have no mask. LOL. We all know all of those people aren't vaccinated.

Me, my wife, my teenage son are all vaccinated, my six-year-old daughter isn't yet of course but will be as soon as it's approved for her. I know we're all assuming a risk by not masking up and being in very close quarters to tens of thousands of other people, but it would be nice if people who aren't vaccinated would at least play by the rules. I know it won't happen, but still.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm at Disney right now. It's a bit concerning because where we were today, Epcot, has a policy that if you're fully vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask when inside, but you do if you're not fully vaccinated. When inside? A literal >99% of people have no mask. LOL. We all know all of those people aren't vaccinated.

Me, my wife, my teenage son are all vaccinated, my six-year-old daughter isn't yet of course but will be as soon as it's approved for her. I know we're all assuming a risk by not masking up and being in very close quarters to tens of thousands of other people, but it would be nice if people who aren't vaccinated would at least play by the rules. I know it won't happen, but still.
Stay safe

Reactions: nyr2k2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

I'm heading to Vegas in a couple of days. My first trip in a year and a half. I expect the same there but there will be some people wearing masks to avoid the facial recognition software. I'm vaccinated but will probably wear a mask where its crowded. I'm not looking forward to wearing a mask throughout the flight, though.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
I'm heading to Vegas in a couple of days. My first trip in a year and a half. I expect the same there but there will be some people wearing masks to avoid the facial recognition software. I'm vaccinated but will probably wear a mask where its crowded. I'm not looking forward to wearing a mask throughout the flight, though.

If you can find a larger mask for bigger folks thats the move. I bought a 2XL mask to wear for flights, trains, and sporting events when it was mandated. The larger mask sits looser around your ears and face but still covers everything.

Not going to debate the science behind how effective this method was but it worked for me and still works now that I'm fully vaccinated and back in the sky a few times a month.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
There's the Delta variant, but the Lambda variant might be even a bigger threat

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I got the J&J, should I get a dose of another vaccine? I know there's no official guidance suggesting this is necessary, but I've seen a lot of doctors and other folks who do this for a living saying that it might be a good idea.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I got the J&J, should I get a dose of another vaccine? I know there's no official guidance suggesting this is necessary, but I've seen a lot of doctors and other folks who do this for a living saying that it might be a good idea.
They're supposedly gonna be doing third doses before the Fall "covid season." I read Pfizer is already seeking authorization. If I were you I'd definitely be in on that.

The J&J is actually extremely strong for a traditional vaccine but mRNA is in another class. It's going from a franchise player to a generational player.

I got Pfizer and I feel like Spiderman. I'm seeing people I haven't seen in over a year and the anxiety is gone. From what I read, it's not perfect at stopping infections but what you get is heavily neutered covid. It's chicken soup sick instead of I might die sick.

Now that's just my personal research and feelings, and I'm a sociologist not a virologist, so ask your doctor for sure.

But yeah, definitely something I would consider, especially since you and I are both not kids anymore. Getting really sick after 25, even if you're not hospitalized or in danger, is the least fun experience.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They're supposedly gonna be doing third doses before the Fall "covid season." I read Pfizer is already seeking authorization. If I were you I'd definitely be in on that.

The J&J is actually extremely strong for a traditional vaccine but mRNA is in another class. It's going from a franchise player to a generational player.

I got Pfizer and I feel like Spiderman. I'm seeing people I haven't seen in over a year and the anxiety is gone. From what I read, it's not perfect at stopping infections but what you get is heavily neutered covid. It's chicken soup sick instead of I might die sick.

Now that's just my personal research and feelings, and I'm a sociologist not a virologist, so ask your doctor for sure.

But yeah, definitely something I would consider, especially since you and I are both not kids anymore. Getting really sick after 25, even if you're not hospitalized or in danger, is the least fun experience.
Yeah, I had no misgivings about the J&J which I got back at the end of March and still don't. It's just frustrating because most of the studies being done on continued effectiveness and effectiveness against new variants only focus on the Moderna and Pfizer and ignore the J&J. I get that here less than 10% of people received the J&J and that's a big reason why it's not a primary focus now, but for those of us that did it kind of feels like we're being left in the dark and are reliant on first-party research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad