OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Just in my family I've had the following:

Cousin worked for a major airline for 30 years - laid off last week. No severance. 2 HS kids.

Cousin managed a restaurant for 8 years. Laid off immediately. Owner gonna be GM too.

Cousin works for Broadway in lighting. Won't be working till 2021. No chance.

Rub some dirt on it and get back to work! isn't a viable solution. The demand is destroyed in many industries. You can't force demand in cases where people don't feel comfortable, or it's deemed unable to open. Tax cuts and supply side tricks aren't going to fix this.

If they go the austerity route, this country is going to be in a world of hurt. "The only way to stimulate growth is to give out tax cuts" crowd really can't lead this. They just can't. This has not been handled well. At all.

Reactions: frozenrubber

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I thought the CARES Act required airlines to not layoff or furlough employees until September 30?

Sounds like they can get around it by eliminating his role.

I've seen that before in my company. How you classify it "layoff" or "job elimination" definitely matters from a legal sense.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The only thing I can think of is that COVID is obviously a bit more severe than the flu and getting it has way more implications (such as having to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks and short-handing the team in an already short season). As a result players will take it more seriously.

I agree though, this is an ultra high-contact sport... it's going to spread.
I think the danger is more likely in the hotels and locker rooms, than on the ice. I just don't see any teams making it through this long playoff schedule intact and unaffected. Could be the team who is the least affected wins the Cup. First sign of COVID on a team will have huge implications on the entire roster.

I wish them the best, and truly hope this might work,... but from what we know about this virus, it's seems like a longshot these playoffs will even reach the finals.

I will be glad just to see them play any rounds, I miss them so much.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like they can get around it by eliminating his role.

I've seen that before in my company. How you classify it "layoff" or "job elimination" definitely matters from a legal sense.

So I don't know if it's the same thing but the PPP program, as far as I know, penalizes you for laying off employees. Not sure if it's relevant here or not. But for PPP the % of employees laid off has to be taken out as a loan rather than as a subsidy. Basically, we laid off like 60 employees and 60/190 went towards a loan. The remaining was a subsidy.

Edit: That doesn't address your post, maybe you can get around it, we certainly haven't been able to. But this is a small business I kind of jumped in the middle of the conversation, seems like airlines are talked about those are major corporations.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Went into CVS today to pick up a prescription. The woman in line ahead of me pulled her mask up onto her forehead so she could count change in her hand before handing it to the girl at the counter. She then proceeded to sit down with the pharmacist and I could hear her asking how she could get a COVID test because she had been running a fever. This is never going to end.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My employer announced that I'll be working from home for the remainder of 2020.

I think a lot of offices in the NYC area are beginning to decide that the time, effort, and money involved in reopening pre-vaccine may not be worth it. The contemplated in-office restrictions arguably moot the key benefits of coming back in. 25-50% occupancy. Masks everywhere but inside your own cube/office. Kitchen and conference rooms off limits. No visitors. The cherry on top is the continued uncertainty about schools and daycare.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Went into CVS today to pick up a prescription. The woman in line ahead of me pulled her mask up onto her forehead so she could count change in her hand before handing it to the girl at the counter. She then proceeded to sit down with the pharmacist and I could hear her asking how she could get a COVID test because she had been running a fever. This is never going to end.

my fear is the strain will mutate and become more deadly. Yes, i’ve read about mutation baloney yet the strain which hit some friends and my sister didn’t kill them yet had massive side affect and hung on for weeks. This strain, so often, people feel bad for a few days and then appear ok. Concerned about the winter.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Outcomes of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Patients Recently Recovered From COVID-19

In this cohort study including 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 identified from a COVID-19 test center, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
GDP declined 9.5% from Q1 to Q2. Which seems to be the worst EVER Q to Q decline.

UI is expiring this week, there's a bill passed in May sitting there, and we're just gonna let this burn to the ground.

Not even arguing about solutions to a problem. Not even debating how to attack the problem. Struggling to convince people this IS a problem. Going into a nonstop circle of people insisting this is NOT a problem! Only a problem if you admit it!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Don't worry. That sweet, sweet trickle down money will start hitting any day now. Just needed 30+ years to work its way through the ultra wealthy.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
incredible how the HEROES act is from May and we're a week away from no bill whatsoever lol

just utter brilliance

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
C86A876F-52B5-4539-AAC5-CFAE9F1E9362.jpeg

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
GDP declined 9.5% from Q1 to Q2. Which seems to be the worst EVER Q to Q decline.

UI is expiring this week, there's a bill passed in May sitting there, and we're just gonna let this burn to the ground.

Not even arguing about solutions to a problem. Not even debating how to attack the problem. Struggling to convince people this IS a problem. Going into a nonstop circle of people insisting this is NOT a problem! Only a problem if you admit it!
If bad legislation is your only option that doesn't mean you should just pass it.

Reactions: bl02

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If bad legislation is your only option that doesn't mean you should just pass it.

Well then a counter proposal should have been drawn up. But we all know why it wasn't.

The CARES act was legitimately the only successful thing the federal govt did well in this entire process. it's the only thing that kept the economy from imploding. But instead of acknowledging that and extending a version of it, we are watching arguments about income replacement formulas for UI, that states don't even have time to update their systems to support, while the UI expired. Because a bunch of has been congressman (who haven't actually worked in decades), saw a meme about people making more on UI than working and believed THAT is the REAL issue here.

Reactions: eco's bones

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Well then a counter proposal should have been drawn up. But we all know why it wasn't.

The CARES act was legitimately the only successful thing the federal govt did well in this entire process. it's the only thing that kept the economy from imploding. But instead of acknowledging that and extending a version of it, we are watching arguments about income replacement formulas for UI, that states don't even have time to update their systems to support, while the UI expired. Because a bunch of has been congressman (who haven't actually worked in decades), saw a meme about people making more on UI than working and believed THAT is the REAL issue here.
Yes, because it would be dead on arrival as well. However, I do agree that knowing this, an attempt should have still been made.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yes, because it would be dead on arrival as well. However, I do agree that knowing this, an attempt should have still been made.

I know completely grinding govt to a halt, purposely sabotaging it, and never doing anything helpful for anyone is a political strategy certain people love and enjoy, but it’s proved historically costly here. Legitimately ruined people. It’s inexcusable really.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

it seems like a potentially misleading article to me...they didn't see alot of cases after the mass transit was shutdown and not used. and now in other countries where people wore masks and got things under control, they aren't seeing cases spike as they open things up. and i'm sure the people there are wearing masks... a great sign no doubt but I don't see how that proves that its less likely to be transmitted on the subway?

I could be completely wrong but I look at that as proof that shutting things down to get things under control has worked in those places. but doesn't mean its 'safe' or that you couldn't get a massive spike if people are dumb and careless

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad