OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
i would be careful with this one. Often 6 months is the minimum time for a treatment. I would wait longer. An RNA treatment might be different yet often 6 months or within 6 months could result in a dependability on the vaccine. Meaning the body starts expecting a boost (this would be the third shot) and won’t create antibodies without it.

I got my second dose of Pfiser on February 26th full well assuming that a booster would be required, though it's for this exact reason I wouldn't go before six month's time had passed. Boosters will probably be needed for the foreseeable future until we have as little a possibility of COVID spreading and mutating. That's what I wish those who refuse it would understand the most: By not getting the vaccine, you have a chance to play host to it and give it a chance to mutate into something even worse than the DELTA variant.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
From what I read, Pfizer's effectiveness against the delta variant is not as good. 1 dose is 35% effective and 2 doses is 80-85% effective. Research shows that protection lasts for 6-12 months and perhaps even longer. I also think boosters will be available in the fall (a 3rd dose rather than having to get another 2 doses). I don't know if J&J's vaccine follows the same trend but I assume Moderna's will. I'm hopeful it can be given at the same time as a flu shot and an annual flu/covid shot will become a thing.

Regarding J&J I have a cousin who went to Disney with wife and 2 little kids. Parents are both J&J vaxxed. They wore masks most of the time but when they returned had light cold symptoms so didn't think much of it. Their parents (grandma) who is fully Pfizered later had a bad fever and a little trouble breathing so they all got tested and all had covid (don't know details like if it was a particular strain). No hospitalizations, though, which is the purpose of the vaccine but you can still catch it and spread it.
Well, no vaccine is perfect.

But I will say this: the Israel study that says the effectiveness is way lower is totally different. It's measuring a different thing.

95% efficacy, which is about what Pfizer scored in clinical trials, literally means that in the trial, 95% of positives times two came from the placebo group. Or, in other words, if the infections between the placebo and vaccine group is 50/50, efficacy is 0%. If it's 100/0, efficacy is 100%. That gives you a good idea of what 95% means.

The 64% Israel study is a real-world observation which says that, basically, if you are exposed to covid, and vaccinated, you have a 64% chance of not contracting it at all. But if you do contract it, the likelihood of it being any worse than a mild illness is probably closer to that 95% efficacy, maybe even higher.

In the US, between 98-99.9% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated, so that's your real-world effectiveness against serious illness which is what really matters.

Again, in Israel, that number is lower, but I wouldn't be alarmed. Israel has vaccinated between 85-90% of its adults. Your breakthrough number is always going to be a function of how many vaccinations you have. For example, in New York, about 74% of adults have had a vaccine dose and 1.5% of hospitalizations are breakthrough. If your community is 100% vaccinated, 100% of hospitalizations are breakthrough, which goes to show you how fast that number can jump as you continue to vaccinate people.

In any community with large swaths of both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, observed hospitalizations have been almost all unvaccinted.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I got my second shot of Pfizer or March 16. On April 23 I had a bone marrow transplant. On June 23 the transplant doctor advised me to get re-vaccinated for Covid in August. NYS having no protocols for re-vaccination he wasn't sure how to make that happen. I emailed the CDC and basically if I read their response rightly it was a GTFO response which I deleted. Next I emailed my State Senator. A few days later the office of the State Senator got back to me to tell me that sometime in the morning I should expect a call from the County Health Dept. What the County Health Dept. Nurse wanted from me later that morning was a letter from my local oncologist or the oncologist in Rochester NY where I got the transplant or from the transplant doctor. The local oncologist sent the letter and the County Health Dept. Nurse got back to tell me that I'm alright for being re-vaccinated in August.....they'll even do a house call.

Even if you do not care for your local representatives they're there to be used. They wanted and asked the voters for their jobs.......so if there is something that they can help you with then you should use them and not just for Covid related issues but for other things too. I do appreciate what the local State Senator's office did for me here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
In any community with large swaths of both vaccinated and unvaccinated people, observed hospitalizations have been almost all unvaccinted.

The largest problem we have up in Rockland county is the Hasidic communities, sadly. I'm all for live and let live. Many are customers of mine, but they've really be slacking on vaccinations. Some of the more progressive people form that community that I know were all over it, and are doing their best to change the minds of others there, but it's not easy work.

I mean hell, just yesterday I literally had to call the cops on a guy who threatened to fight me, was banging on my shop's door screaming curse words at us, etc etc (with a woman with two young kids in the store), all because I wouldn't let him in without a mask on (I have people close to me who are immuno-compromised and cannot get vaccinated). It's unreal. I admit I'm a bit of a hot head, but when the dust settled I even gave the guy the option to just leave.

You'd think a literal global pandemic would bring out the best in us, but it just goes to show how f***ed we are as a species. lol Either way, I'm glad what seems to be the majority of you here have indeed taken this seriously. Stay well and stay safe!

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Outstanding.

So important for beating this virus that NYC lead the way in this regard.
I dont see how this solves anything. Its extremely easy to just forge a vaccine card and struggling businesses arent going to go out of their way to overly scrutinize proof of vaccinations lol.
At this point, everyone who wants a vaccine has it. The rest is just darwinism in action.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I dont see how this solves anything. Its extremely easy to just forge a vaccine card and struggling businesses arent going to go out of their way to overly scrutinize proof of vaccinations lol.
At this point, everyone who wants a vaccine has it. The rest is just darwinism in action.

It's not just Darwinism because unvaccinated people create worse variants.

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
It's not just Darwinism because unvaccinated people create worse variants.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but vaccination rates are so low across the globe that it doesnt even matter.
Im currently staying in brazil and they are spacing out vaccines 180 days which essentially makes the vaccine useless.
At this point the world just has to learn how to live with covid. Its endemic to humans now like flus and colds.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but vaccination rates are so low across the globe that it doesnt even matter.
Im currently staying in brazil and they are spacing out vaccines 180 days which essentially makes the vaccine useless.
At this point the world just has to learn with covid. Its endemic to humans noa like flus and colds.

I think most people have come to terms with it being endemic. That doesn't mean vaccines can't help end the pandemic and have it become just another flu that we live with.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And I was reading that countries like the US that are mixed are the greatest thread to mutations because the virus can't infect one (vaccinated) person so it jumps to another (unvaccinated) person and mutates.

Bluto

Dec 24, 2017
I think most people have come to terms with it being endemic. That doesn't mean vaccines can't help end the pandemic and have it become just another flu that we live with.
I dont think humans are capable of learning to live with it at this point unfortunately. The powers that be did a damn good job of ensuring that.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Have a feeling we are going to see vaccine cards in the future. Basically like a drivers license but with your identity proving your fully vaccinated

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The current NYC rule requires you attest on some website that you are who you are and that you're vaccinated. Don't even need a card. It's an honor system slash PR move lmao

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Darwinism only affects the person.

This situation is one person's actions affecting other people.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Florida reporting over 50,000 cases yesterday. WTF is going on down there???

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Florida reporting over 50,000 cases yesterday. WTF is going on down there???
It’s Florida, lol.
ab4ca3tqdmo51.png

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Kupo I spend a lot of time in Florida during the Fall and winter, I am fully vaccinated but still, this is alarming.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
well it was a nice couple of months when it felt like COVID was going away...

I was supposed to head down to FLA in a couple of weeks. Looking questionable now

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
well it was a nice couple of months when it felt like COVID was going away...

I was supposed to head down to FLA in a couple of weeks. Looking questionable now

After my dad gets vaccinated it'll be almost completely back to normal. I wouldn't care about getting sick at that point because it would likely be mild and even if I transmit it won't be to my parents.

Reactions: Kane One

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
After my dad gets vaccinated it'll be almost completely back to normal. I wouldn't care about getting sick at that point because it would likely be mild and even if I transmit it won't be to my parents.

It’s bigger than that, though! Say you get it. You’re asymptomatic. You pass it on to some antivaxx idiot. They play host to this and create a new variant. Shit starts alllllll over again.

Don’t let your guard down. Mask up, wash your hands, blah blah blah. At this point it’s what we DON’T do that is gonna bite us in the ass because of either the idiots who won’t get vaccinated or the fact that we’ve created an artificial vaccine shortage throughout the world.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Took a Covid test for the first time today. Fully vaccinated. Think it's just a head cold but want to be safe for the kids/everyone.

Went through the CVS drive through for a PCR. Had to schedule an appt online and went through a shitload of northern NJ Walgreens and CVS locations and there was only one location that had an appt available today. One. Out of like 45.

When I got there the box was overflowing with tests. Im happy people are making sure they are tested but it was a little alarming to say the least.

Reactions: Brief Candle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad