OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
161,000,000 Americans have been vaccinated for covid-19 and 5,492 have been hospitalized.

5,492/161m = .000034

In six months (the rough amount of time since vaccines have been available) you have a 1 in 16,600 chance of dying in an automobile crash.

1/16,000 = .000060

Of course, if you drive 120 and switch lanes with abandon, that number goes way up. You should still be cognizant and not go around licking handrails.

But that's still pretty encouraging. Compare that to the fact that covid killed 1/500 Americans. We've taken a huge step.

And if you're reading this, I'm glad you're still here. 1/500 is scary to think about.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
161,000,000 Americans have been vaccinated for covid-19 and 5,492 have been hospitalized.

5,492/161m = .000034

In six months (the rough amount of time since vaccines have been available) you have a 1 in 16,600 chance of dying in an automobile crash.

1/16,000 = .000060

Of course, if you drive 120 and switch lanes with abandon, that number goes way up. You should still be cognizant and not go around licking handrails.

But that's still pretty encouraging. Compare that to the fact that covid killed 1/500 Americans. We've taken a huge step.

And if you're reading this, I'm glad you're still here. 1/500 is scary to think about.
From what I read, Pfizer's effectiveness against the delta variant is not as good. 1 dose is 35% effective and 2 doses is 80-85% effective. Research shows that protection lasts for 6-12 months and perhaps even longer. I also think boosters will be available in the fall (a 3rd dose rather than having to get another 2 doses). I don't know if J&J's vaccine follows the same trend but I assume Moderna's will. I'm hopeful it can be given at the same time as a flu shot and an annual flu/covid shot will become a thing.

Regarding J&J I have a cousin who went to Disney with wife and 2 little kids. Parents are both J&J vaxxed. They wore masks most of the time but when they returned had light cold symptoms so didn't think much of it. Their parents (grandma) who is fully Pfizered later had a bad fever and a little trouble breathing so they all got tested and all had covid (don't know details like if it was a particular strain). No hospitalizations, though, which is the purpose of the vaccine but you can still catch it and spread it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
My parents, who I finally convinced to get the vaccine and went with Pfizer, got COVID in between doses. Their symptoms were minimal. Fatigue, light headache and body aches, and a loss of taste and smell. After watching my father in law spend a month on a vent with COVID last year, I'm convinced having that first dose may have saved them from something life threatening.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My parents, who I finally convinced to get the vaccine and went with Pfizer, got COVID in between doses. Their symptoms were minimal. Fatigue, light headache and body aches, and a loss of taste and smell. After watching my father in law spend a month on a vent with COVID last year, I'm convinced having that first dose may have saved them from something life threatening.
Glad for them – and good for you for keeping at it!

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I have a fully vaccinated friend who got COVID, meaning it's one of those breakthrough cases.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I got COVID between doses back in March and definitely want to concur that it was extremely mild. Light fever for 2-3 days. Had friends who, like others have said, got it before the vaccine and were basically dead people walking.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Happy to hear they are doing okay.

As an aside, my brother in law is a PhD student in Chem Engineering working on lung disease/lung cancer and stuff for COVID (basically all major diseases that effect the lungs) and he said the 1st dose is ~80% effective. So even getting JUST that 1st dose will help.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So, I received a J&J vaccine in March and yesterday received a dose of the Moderna. I'm a guinea pig.

Silly question - how did this come up? Did you decide to go do that on your own? Or doctors recommendations? (if you're not comfortable sharing I totally understand)

There's some data that immunocompromised people may not respond to 2 doses of any vaccination, and a booster/3rd shot for them may be needed. I think at the very least anyone who got J&J and falls into that category may end up being recommended to go the Moderna/Pfizer route.

My dad falls into this category as he's undergoing chemo. He got Pfizer in the spring, but his oncologist told him he thinks a 3rd dose may be needed for him but at this point, there's no guidance on that yet.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Silly question - how did this come up? Did you decide to go do that on your own? Or doctors recommendations? (if you're not comfortable sharing I totally understand)

There's some data that immunocompromised people may not respond to 2 doses of any vaccination, and a booster/3rd shot for them may be needed. I think at the very least anyone who got J&J and falls into that category may end up being recommended to go the Moderna/Pfizer route.

My dad falls into this category as he's undergoing chemo. He got Pfizer in the spring, but his oncologist told him he thinks a 3rd dose may be needed for him but at this point, there's no guidance on that yet.
I brought it up and one doctor agreed. One disagreed, not due to an actual concern, they just said there's been no formal recommendation from the CDC/NIH/FDA on it so they weren't going to go rogue in advising me.

I have a condition that on its own doesn't make me immunocompromised, but a medication that I take for it (Cosentyx) is an immunosuppressant--though it's unclear if Cosentyx and that same class of drugs makes you more susceptible to COVID specifically.

Since I have that to contend with, plus a six-year-old who is in daycare around other kids and adults not wearing masks and who goes back to school in a month, AND take care of an elderly mother who is very high-risk, we decided to go ahead and give it a go. The more coverage the better. Fortunately CVS tells you which pharmacies are giving which shots so I was able to get the Moderna, which we agreed was the best course of action.

I have a low grade fever today which of course means my arthritis (why I take the Cosentyx) is horrible, but otherwise I'm good to.

(FWIW, I live in like the fifth-highest vaccinated state in a county with very low infection rates and enough vaccines that literally any place you go, you can just walk in and get one.)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I brought it up and one doctor agreed. One disagreed, not due to an actual concern, they just said there's been no formal recommendation from the CDC/NIH/FDA on it so they weren't going to go rogue in advising me.

I have a condition that on its own doesn't make me immunocompromised, but a medication that I take for it (Cosentyx) is an immunosuppressant--though it's unclear if Cosentyx and that same class of drugs makes you more susceptible to COVID specifically.

Since I have that to contend with, plus a six-year-old who is in daycare around other kids and adults not wearing masks and who goes back to school in a month, AND take care of an elderly mother who is very high-risk, we decided to go ahead and give it a go. The more coverage the better. Fortunately CVS tells you which pharmacies are giving which shots so I was able to get the Moderna, which we agreed was the best course of action.

I have a low grade fever today which of course means my arthritis (why I take the Cosentyx) is horrible, but otherwise I'm good to.

(FWIW, I live in like the fifth-highest vaccinated state in a county with very low infection rates and enough vaccines that literally any place you go, you can just walk in and get one.)

That makes a lot of sense. A lot of what I've been reading aligns to your thinking/experience. Thanks for this info - I appreciate it! Hopefully some guidance comes out soon so if a booster is needed for the highest risk, we can get them done before fall. My wife and I got Moderna but I have a 3 year old daughter going to school this fall, worry about my dad and my daughter interacting. Don't really want to cut him off, but I also can't guarantee shes not exposed at school. It's all very stressful.

Hope you feel better and all goes well. Don't watch the Mets tonight - it'll compound the pain!

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Reactions: Brief Candle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad