OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
422E6FA1-8A25-4487-AD89-5677125A6B09.jpeg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This article was a breath of fresh air:

Oxford scientists believe they have made a breakthrough in their quest for a Covid-19 vaccine after discovering that the jab triggers a response that may offer a "double defence" against the virus.

Phase I human trials of the world-leading Oxford vaccine have shown that it generates an immune response against the disease, the Telegraph has learned.

Blood samples taken from a group of UK volunteers given a dose of the vaccine showed that it stimulated the body to produce both antibodies and ‘killer T-cells’, a senior source said.

The discovery is promising because separate studies have suggested that antibodies may fade away within months while T-cells can stay in circulation for years.

However the source cautioned that the results, while “extremely promising”, did not yet prove that the Oxford vaccine provides long-lasting immunity against Covid-19.

Coronavirus vaccine hopes rise after strong trial results

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Rwanda is just a highly impressive country in general. The capital, Kigali, is immaculate because they have every citizen in the country spend a few hours cleaning their neighborhood every other Sunday. Not surprising that the buy-in on healthcare is so high.

That’s amazing. Can you imagine even suggesting this in America? Without a doubt would be a Facebook war with my local community group with accusations of communism.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rwanda is just a highly impressive country in general. The capital, Kigali, is immaculate because they have every citizen in the country spend a few hours cleaning their neighborhood every other Sunday. Not surprising that the buy-in on healthcare is so high.

Are they cleaning their neighborhood voluntarily? That does not sound appealing at all.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Really try to stay away from posting in here, but when you see a post that is so incredibly rife with utter ignorance, it really needs to be brought into the spotlight that it deserves.
"We should let people die so those who have millions in property don't have to live less comfortably."

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
"We should let people die so those who have millions in property don't have to live less comfortably."

this is a very broad complicated subject. I’m not a landlord but know a few. The ones I know don’t have millions in property and some in fact rely on their rental income to help them survive.
Now the guy who owns the fancy property where the bar goes out of business? Idk but he could still be ok.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We prop up all kinds of dying industries all the time. We subsidize industries all the time. For far less noble reasons than "hey help us beat a pandemic and save lives"

It can be done.

Reactions: Machinehead

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Are they cleaning their neighborhood voluntarily? That does not sound appealing at all.

No, it’s mandatory. That support for the healthcare system stat in the OP’s article is dubious for a similar reason (I bet most do support it, though).

I’m sure nobody likes cleaning but it is overall a good thing - the country is one of the most attractive for foreign investment on the continent. Lots of really good things happening there and far less corrupt than neighbors. Also incredibly safe. One of those articles mentioned drones - check out the drone blood delivery start up in Rwanda if you have time, so cool.

Paul Kagame is definitely the most powerful president in Africa. He is also head of the African Union. If you have the chance I’d recommend reading up on him. He’s a bit of a benevolent dictator, but has done a really great job there, especially since the country started from scratch after the genocide. Also responsible for some really messed up things in the DRC after the genocide though.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, it’s mandatory. That support for the healthcare system stat in the OP’s article is dubious for a similar reason (I bet most do support it, though).

I’m sure nobody likes cleaning but it is overall a good thing - the country is one of the most attractive for foreign investment on the continent. Lots of really good things happening there and far less corrupt than neighbors. Also incredibly safe. One of those articles mentioned drones - check out the drone blood delivery start up in Rwanda if you have time, so cool.

Paul Kagame is definitely the most powerful president in Africa. He is also head of the African Union. If you have the chance I’d recommend reading up on him. He’s a bit of a benevolent dictator, but has done a really great job there, especially since the country started from scratch after the genocide. Also responsible for some really messed up things in the DRC after the genocide though.

Do they get paid?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Right, that would be a lot of money every person every other week. I'm not sure how that's different from slave labor. I guess they can technically leave the country.

I suppose it technically is, but asking people to go out and walk down their street and pick up trash for a few hours isn’t a big deal. I’m sure people are happier living in cleaner neighborhoods.

The country also banned the use of plastic bags a few years ago.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
this is a very broad complicated subject. I’m not a landlord but know a few. The ones I know don’t have millions in property and some in fact rely on their rental income to help them survive.
Now the guy who owns the fancy property where the bar goes out of business? Idk but he could still be ok.
Of course it's broad. Nobody is suggesting let's kill the paycheck-to-paycheck single-family homeowner who rents his upstairs.

That's not who's renting out to businesses.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We prop up all kinds of dying industries all the time. We subsidize industries all the time. For far less noble reasons than "hey help us beat a pandemic and save lives"

It can be done.
I read today that 17.6 million Americans won't get their pre-pandemic jobs back. 17.6 million. Where are they going? What are they going to do?

It would cost $633 billion to tell all those people "stay home, you're good for a year while we figure out this virus."

Sounds like a lot but we'll spend that on the military this year. We've already given double that to corporations who evidently did not keep people employed and don't intend to bring people back. The CARES Act was more than that and it evidently did f*** all because 17.6 million are facing long-term unemployment.

It's not about can or can't, it's about priorities.

It's not about "we can't do bailouts" because we already did. It's about giving that money to employers and then acting shocked when it disappears.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
They shouldn't be lol

Being a landlord is just as much a risky investment as anything in the stock market. Only that you're trading livelihoods and the right to shelter instead of other people's work

Besides, landlords have gotten WAY more protection through this crisis than working class folks who need to, uh, pay rent to live and got some lousy f***ing crumbs that don't cover a month's rent in most metro areas.

1. There is risk, then there is a forced closure by the government. The latter 100% deserves compensation. As does the business owner who was forced into bankruptcy by government. As do the employees of the impacted industries. Point being, things are hardly ever as simple as they appear to be and the repercussions are usually far reaching.

2. That is your choice, to live in a metro area especially with it being common knowledge that rent prices are absolutely out of control. The apartment we lived in 5 years ago, rent since has doubled. There are significantly cheaper places to live where even with commuting costs you still come out ahead. Prior to Covid-19, I didn't particularly enjoy my 60-90 minute commute (each way). But the financial flexibility it afforded me more than made up for it.

I do think that we will see a dip over the next 2-3 years in rent prices, followed by another large surge. I think the dip will be directly attributed to Covid.

Not to mention that "75% of bars permanently closed" is a red herring argument. Yeah, Johnny's Pub might permanently close, but guess what? There was a pretty high probability it was going to at some point anyway and then there's an even higher chance Danny's Pub opens in the space and likely hires all of the ex-Johnny's Pub employees who apply. That industry is always on a razor's edge. Yeah, it sucks for Johnny, but the people who worked for Johnny won't be better or worse off without him.

It isn't just bars. Restaurants as well. There is nothing to indicate that we were going to see a widespread recession in the food/bar industry prior to Covid.

Given the trend of the economy and the impact Covid has had on the restaurant and bar industry, it is unlikely you will see someone follow. There isn't going to be this massive uptick in new places anytime soon. And simply saying "sucks for Johnny" who likely will have to declare bankruptcy is as cold and callous of an argument as I have ever seen on these boards.

Of course it's broad. Nobody is suggesting let's kill the paycheck-to-paycheck single-family homeowner who rents his upstairs.

That's not who's renting out to businesses.
That actually isn't correct. While you in particular haven't said that, there were a few people in previous threads who proposed a complete moratorium on all rent/mortgage payments. When I brought up that it would effectively do the bold, I was basically laughed at.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
If the UK, a pretty large country purposely took herd immunity why aren't we hearing about the insane death tolls like we are here? I understand the UK is smaller but as the percentage of the population, we're not hearing much out of there.
The "herd immunity" course that countries like the UK and Sweden took long-term is absolute garbage.

Where is everyone getting the idea the UK tried herd immunity? They kicked the idea around in February (because BoJo) but by early March all that thinking was thrown into the garbage can. When they saw the numbers coming out of Italy, France and Spain they did an abrupt about face. They locked down around the 2nd week of March and reopened ironically on July 4th but with plenty of restrictions still in place at the stores and very heavy restrictions at the bars, restaurants and hair salons. Still have the 2 meter social distancing in place but that may have been reduced to 1 meter, debates ongoing about re-opening schools, there are 3 areas called “red zones” that are currently on a re-lockdown because of an outbreak and starting on July 26th it will be mandatory to wear a mask in ALL public spaces or face arrest/fines.

Doesn’t sound very “herd immunity” to me.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Looks like they’re just gonna let Enhanced UI expire. Unreal. The only successful policy they stumbled into among a sea of incompetence.

Everyday just gets crazier. This requires real solutions. Not culture war rhetoric about who "deserves" what. Its just madness.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Looks like they’re just gonna let Enhanced UI expire. Unreal. The only successful policy they stumbled into among a sea of incompetence.

Everyday just gets crazier. This requires real solutions. Not culture war rhetoric about who "deserves" what. Its just madness.

Not crazy at all. The right thing. Pass another large, comprehensive stimulus and we will be fine.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not crazy at all. The right thing. Pass another large, comprehensive stimulus and we will be fine.

Letting it expire and then passing another bill with some kind enhanced UI is a logistical nightmare for states. We already saw how overwhelmed they are. Starting and stopping results in huge admin costs and delays.

Without expanded unemployment benefits? I’m not sure how we think people are going to survive with some industries virtually gone for the near future.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the senate has roundly rejected the idea that the next stimulus package would be 3 trillion or more and they are more concerned with getting people back to work. this new comprehensive large stimulus seems like a fantasy at this point

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Letting it expire and then passing another bill with some kind enhanced UI is a logistical nightmare for states. We already saw how overwhelmed they are. Starting and stopping results in huge admin costs and delays.

Without expanded unemployment benefits? I’m not sure how we think people are going to survive with some industries virtually gone for the near future.

I don't think enhanced UI should be in the next bill. I'd rather see a larger cash payment to people.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't think enhanced UI should be in the next bill. I'd rather see a larger cash payment to people.

How large?

The problem with this is that we don't know how long some industries are going to be sidelined. Like an 8k one time check doesn't really help someone who works on Broadway who may not work until next spring.

The downside people keep sighting with Enhanced UI is that some people end up making more than they did when they worked. Which says more about the state of service industry jobs than the people getting the UI. Worst case they end up with extra disposable income and they spend/pay down debt. They're certainly not padding their retirement funds with this.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the senate has roundly rejected the idea that the next stimulus package would be 3 trillion or more and they are more concerned with getting people back to work. this new comprehensive large stimulus seems like a fantasy at this point
It's going to be "here, go buy some ice cream or something, you little shit" like the first one was.

I gave mine away because I don't need it, and if you do need it, it's not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad