OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't think anyone in their right mind believes China's statistics.

Personally, I think Trump is receiving too much blame in areas where it doesn't matter and not enough blame in the areas it does matter. With that being said, it also isn't as if he hasn't done ANYTHING right.

You start with shutting down travel from China. He has received zero credit for this. He was called a racist, xenophobic and any other ist/ism that people love to hurl around these days with no consequence. There is no argument that it was the right move.

The problem?

He then sat on his ass for the next 6 weeks as if he expected that to solve the problem. Parts of Europe were still allowing travel from China which is why we saw Europe's numbers blow up first. We didn't shut off travel from Europe and still allowed people to come and go. We didn't close off travel from Europe until it was too late.

The masks issue. It is a factual statement to say that the shortage of masks is a result of inaction from the Obama administration after the swine flu epidemic. The only reason that the Obama administration had an appropriate number of masks was due to a supply increase from their predecessor's administration.

The problem?

As we saw this blowing up in China, if the government had been taking it more seriously and put a focus on getting large scale testing in place, I don't believe we would have nearly the number of cases that we have and the mask shortage would be significantly less of an issue. It may not be an issue at all.

I could honestly do this all day.

We were in such a great situation after all travel from China was closed off. We had an opportunity to really get ahead of this and limit the impact across the country. We were 1st and goal on the 1 yard line which resulted in three botched plays and then on 4th down we missed the field goal.

Some good recall and points. Thank you

The US Government goes beyond one person. We have health officials and doctors who share information continually. Somehow, nobody knew how severe this was and took action. Back in early February, a few colleagues of mine were wondering if this was China’s version of Chernobyl. IMO, if anybody thinks this was handled poorly then you have to blame the entire Government.

Where are all of our Political media whores anyway? Hiding? Great leaders throughout this country.

and the hype it up, arrogant, dysfunctional, fake and clueless media still playing the role of educators to an otherwise ignorant audience who doesn’t recognize they’re tuning into entertainment and not actual journalism. The boy who cried wolf each and every night. Heck, why would anybody take a legit threat seriously when the narrative has been to make up as much cr@p as possible to maintain ratings?

Anywhere ranging from some extra masks to people dropping dead at their feet couldn’t motivate people to think these days unless provoked by the media and sold them this delusion of being educated rather than entertained. Has Chris Cuomo sold the book rights yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardner McKay

Metranger

May 22, 2015
The absolute first thing I do every time I return from outside (which I've got down to only one grocery store trip per week, plus the occasional curbside pickup to support my local restaurants).

My brother the ICU doc comes in from every shift, goes straight upstairs, strips naked, and jumps in the shower for ten minutes before he does ANYTHING else.
Are you (and your brother) washing the clothes right away? Or leaving them out for awhile and the virus dies? I ask because I don't know.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
@SnowblindNYR Your good news delivery is here!

A perspective vaccine from the University of Pittsburgh killed the virus in a lab today :clap:

Still a ways to go, has to be tested on people now, but nice first step.

Thank you, I read about this in the good news thread. I went to Carnegie Mellon, so Pitt were like brothers to us. So proud!

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
you missed the point entirely as it goes beyond one post.
Maybe this post, but I keep reading people bring up China's numbers being a lie as a defense for the US handling of the disease. And I think that entirely misses the point, as neither China or any third world country managing the disease much worse should be a comparable for the US.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
This is the strangest hill to die on. The United States is quantifiably worse off than it should be, full stop. We can fight the semantics of quantitative and qualitative analysis to no end.

If we are number 1, 7, or 30, it doesn't change the fact that there was warning, there were capabilities for better preparation and response. The responsibility doesn't end at the top, but it most certainly starts there. And to this day, the idea that nurses, cops, and the working poor are bearing the significant weight of the actions made by those with actual power in this awful situation is without words.
Right? It blows my mind.

The President was receiving reports of an impending pandemic out of China in his PDBs from our intelligence agencies in December.

The WHO officially informed the US that COVID-19 was a pandemic on Dec. 31, 2019.

The US and South Korea both identified their first confirmed cases on the same day, Jan. 20, 2020.

An article documenting Trump's statements on the disease: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/trump-coronavirus-statements/

Now look at the chart @Machinehead keeps posting and compare the performances of the US and South Korea.

The facts are stark, and damning.

Reactions: eco's bones

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Maybe this post, but I keep reading people bring up China's numbers being a lie as a defense for the US handling of the disease. And I think that entirely misses the point, as neither China or any third world country managing the disease much worse should be a comparable for the US.

a lot of people are posting ridiculous theories to support a narrative.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
That ridiculousness is going to come with a very high price. Florida has hundreds of thousands of retires, they are all at very high risk

Florida is so screwed. I really hope that the people in charge of these decisions are really held accountable when this is all over. Unfortunately, I am pretty confident they wont be though.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't freaking understand. Ridiculous.

like I said above, great leaders throughout this country. Glad they had a fantastic St Patrick’s day parade and bars filled to capacity. What a shocker they had an outbreak.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Are you surprised. When a political party abandons science, these are the results. Ignorance.

science lol. People are roaming the streets like it’s an ordinary day. That’s ignorance, not science. And science hasn’t found a cure regardless of what side the cheerleaders reside.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I know I shouldn't be surprised by now at any of this garbage. But I also don't want to get jaded about it all. Hopefully this stuff still pisses me off until my dying day.

They don't even hide their disdain for science anymore. They wear like a badge of honor. How can you be the governor of a state and not know about asymptomatic carriers this late in the game? It's criminal. And that idiot in Florida? I don't know how someone like that can live with himself knowing he endangered people's lives.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
science lol. People are roaming the streets like it’s an ordinary day. That’s ignorance, not science. And science hasn’t found a cure regardless of what side the cheerleaders reside.

The federal government and states should have locked the country down in February. They had all the data, they were warned as far back as 2017, they chose not to. People are idiots, for sure. But there was no plan at the federal level. The fish rots from the head down.

I live right across the river from NYC. Practically everyone works there. We were the first city to ban gatherings, enact a curfew, close bars and stop dine in eating at restaurants, thanks to our mayor, city council and police chief. People bitched and pushed things, but a lot of people took it serious. Their actions slowed the spread here and saved lives.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
like I said above, great leaders throughout this country. Glad they had a fantastic St Patrick’s day parade and bars filled to capacity. What a shocker they had an outbreak.

All your criticisms and still not one bad word about trump

Be fair and your points carry more value.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
All your criticisms and still not one bad word about trump

Be fair and your points carry more value.

Your perception of value is simply bashing one person. That’s not what I consider value. It’s a waste of time considering what we are seeing on a daily basis regarding human behavior.

Reactions: bl02

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Trump on Coronavirus:

Jan 22--'We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. It's going to be just fine'.
Feb 2--'We pretty much shut it down coming in from China'.
Feb 10--'dies with hotter weather'
Feb 12--'You know in April, supposedly (the virus) dies with the hotter weather'.
Feb 24--'The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA...stock market starting to look very good to me!'
Feb 25--'CDC and my administration are doing a great job of handling coronavirus'.
Feb 25--'I think that's a problem that's going to go away....They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we're very close to a vaccine'. He then went on to claim that in 2014 'nobody had ever heard of Ebola' and that the Ebola mortality rate 'was virtually 100%.'
Feb 26--he tells everyone that the coronavirus 'is a flu' and continues on with this prediction 'The 15 (cases) within a couple days is going to be down close to zero' when we were already up to 53 known cases. 'We're going substantially down, not up'--he said and then goes on to say 'the flu death rate is much higher than (taking a shot at a critic) Sanjay Gupta said'.
Feb 27--miracle day--'One day it's like a miracle....it will disappear'.
Feb 28--'We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical'. Later 'This is their new hoax' and 'We're totally prepared'.
Mar 2--'nobody knows the number of flu deaths' and a vaccine is 'coming relatively soon'. 'You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on Corona?'---'A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they're happening very rapidly'.
Mar 4--'If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands that get better just by, you know, sitting around and going to work---some of them go to work, but they get better.' Later he starts pointing the finger at Obama 'didn't do anything' for H1N1 and that Barack impeded testing, wrongly states that the 1990 flu killed 100,000 and wrongly says he thinks there was a coronavirus death in New York.
Mar 5--'I never said people that are sick should go to work'---'The United States....has, as of now, only 129 cases....and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep those numbers as low as possible' and that the virus only hit the US 'three weeks ago'.
Mar 6--(Azar saying there are no shortages of tests that day)--'I think we're doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down....a tremendous job at keeping it down'.....'Anybody right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They're there. And the tests are beautiful....the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good!'.....'I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it....Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this?' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for President'....'I don't need to have our numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault!'....'I didn't know people died from the flu! (Trump's own grandfather died from the flu). He goes on to say that the numbers in Italy are 'getting much better'--that our coronavirus numbers 'are lower than just about anybody' and that 'maybe' the coronavirus was improving US jobs numbers.
Mar 8--'We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on coronavirus'.
Mar 9--'This blindsided the World!'
Mar 13--'I take no responsibility.'---'National Emergency, two big words.'
Mar 15--'It's a very contagious virus, it's incredible, but it's something we have tremendous control of'.
Mar 16--'We've done a fantastic job from just about every standpoint'.---'We have a problem that, a month ago, nobody ever thought about' (he was first briefed on coronavirus in January).....speaking of his own coronavirus test 'I've been strongly tested'.
Mar 17--'I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a a pandemic'.
Mar 20---(after being asked by a reporter 'What do you say to Americans who are scared?)--'I say you're a terrible reporter, that's what I say. I think that's a very nasty question'. ......' I've been right a lot'....(on When will everyone who needs a coronavirus test be able to get a test?) 'No one is talking about this except you, which doesn't surprise me'.

So I'll cut off there--but really Trump's remarks on the virus were a joke from January on through the better part of March.

This goes way beyond just trying to contain the situation and prevent panic. This buffon has been lying to you guys since the beginning of this. The US was warned by the WHO in december!

He called it a hoax in late february. Let that sink in...

Stay safe and be smart about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad